What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Updated Song Leader board: Golden Earring slips a little more and John/Yoko's suddenly find themselves in contention.

Southern Cross71
Fade To Black66
All Along The Watchtower64
Radar Love61
November Rain56
Fight The Good Fight55
Don't Change54
Watching the Wheels54
Lunatic Fringe52
Twilight Zone52
Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)51

this race is Watchtower's to lose ... prohib 1/9 favorite.
My chips are on Radar Love.

Updated Song Leader board: Golden Earring slips a little more and John/Yoko's suddenly find themselves in contention.

Southern Cross71
Fade To Black66
Radar Love61
November Rain56
Fight The Good Fight55
Don't Change54
Watching the Wheels54
Lunatic Fringe52
Twilight Zone52

this race is Watchtower's to lose ... prohib 1/9 favorite.
Yeah, I would agree with you. It may stage a late surge but I am surprised by the low points for The Weight.

Known Favorites

Blue Sky Mine - Midnight Oil (The Dreaded Marco)
The Last In Line - Dio (Hawks64) - Listening to this for the first time in forever, crazy how well Jack Black can ape RJD on Tenacious D songs. Really can't tell the difference.
So Long, Marianne - Leonard Cohen (Ilov80s)
Still Loving You - Scorpions (Mt. Man)
All Tomorrow's Parties - The Velvet Underground and Nico (otb_lifer) - way better than the cover I posted earlier.
Armistice - Phoenix (rockaction)
Looks That Kill - Motley Crue (jwb) - if you haven't seen The Dirt, what are you waiting for? A love of the Crue not required.
Psycho Killer - Talking Heads (westerberg)
Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy (Oliver Humanzee)

New to Me Songs I Really Liked

Long Way To Go - Sue Foley (timscochet) - tim's been bringing it the last couple of days.
Come On Over (Turn Me On) - Isobel Campbell, Mark Lanegan (simey)

Mummy4:
Come On Over (Turn Me On) - Isobel Campbell, Mark Lanegansimeysounded like it was recorded in a jacuzzi by these two - and I was gonna get bent over

Mark Lanegan was a lot of things during his life and career -- but sexy? That might be a stretch.
I think Lanegan sounds sexy in the song, and so does Isobel Campbell (who wrote the song). Isobel used to be in Belle and Sebastian. Anyway, I love the song and the way they use the strings in it. I have all three albums these two made together, and they are all good.
It was in my top 50ish

Updated standings in the charity contest show EVERYBODY (almost) in the 6-8 point range. Considering the way the list keeps bouncing and the fact we're getting more and more known stuff listed, I think it's still anybody's game:

PersonScore12345678910ACE SongBy
Manster8MetallicaThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceNeil YoungQueenThe PoliceGuns N' RosesFleetwood MacRushArcade FireVan HalenBeds Are BurningMidnight Oil
New Binky the Doormat8The Jimi Hendrix ExperienceNeil YoungQueenCSN and CSNYMetallicaVan HalenAC/DCFleetwood MacThe PoliceRushLaylaDerek & The Dominoes
Pip’s Invitation8QueenNeil YoungFleetwood MacThe PoliceThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceBob MarleyVan HalenAC/DCGuns N' RosesTalking HeadsLovefoolThe Cardigans
Simey8QueenThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceThe BandGuns N' RosesAC/DCCSN and CSNYMetallicaFleetwood MacThe PoliceVan HalenTake On MeA-Ha
Don Quixote7QueenThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceFleetwood MacNeil YoungVan HalenMetallicaThe BandGuns N' RosesRushLeonard CohenThe Final CountdownEurope
Dr. Octopus7QueenNeil YoungFleetwood MacTalking HeadsThe BandBob MarleyCSN and CSNYVan HalenMetallicaArcade FireSome Like It HotPower Station
Just Win Baby7QueenFleetwood MacVan HalenAC/DCThe PoliceMetallicaTalking HeadsThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceRushINXSCult of PersonalityLiving Colour
jwb7QueenFleetwood MacThe PoliceNeil YoungMetallicaAC/DCThe PretendersTalking HeadsThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceWingsThe Beat Goes On/Switching to GlideThe Kings
otb_lifer7QueenBob MarleyNeil YoungMetallicaGuns N' RosesRushAC/DCVan HalenThe PoliceThe Jimi Hendrix Experience99 LuftballonsNena
westerberg7QueenThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceThe PoliceMetallicaNeil YoungRushAC/DCThe BandTalking HeadsFleetwood MacUnder PressureDavid Bowie/Queen
Mrs. Rannous6Fleetwood MacQueenINXSAC/DCRed Hot Chili PeppersCSN and CSNYSantanaNeil YoungThe PoliceVan HalenBeds Are BurningMidnight Oil
Raging Weasel6QueenSantanaAC/DCVan HalenFleetwood MacThe PolicePixiesThe PretendersGuns N' RosesThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceHeaven and HellBlack Sabbath
Sullie6RushAC/DCGuns N' RosesCSN and CSNYThe PoliceVan HalenKissRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaFleetwood MacBattlescarMax Webster
Val Rannous6RushQueenFleetwood MacCSN and CSNYAC/DCSantanaThe PoliceThe Traveling WilburysVan HalenNeil YoungFor What It's WorthBuffalo Springfield
The Dreaded Marco5AC/DCThe BandCSN and CSNYINXSBob MarleyThe PoliceQueenRushTalking HeadsNeil YoungMajor Tom (Coming Home)Peter Schilling
higgins4QueenThe PoliceVan HalenDire StraitsRushABBAThe ScorpionsBob MarleyThe PretendersTalking HeadsDon't Dream It's OverCrowded House
titusbramble2QueenThe PoliceABBABryan AdamsRed Hot Chili PeppersDaft PunkAC/DCGarbageKraftwerkArcade FireThe Final CountdownEurope

I knew 28 songs today, not counting my own but including repeats.

Known-to-me favorites from #7, not including my own or Fight the Good Fight and Rebellion (Lies), both of which are known to be on my list:

Old Man -- Neil Young (Zegras11)
Welcome to the Jungle -- Guns N' Roses (Val Rannous)
This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) -- Talking Heads (Worrierking)
All Along the Watchtower -- The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Just Win Baby)
When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around -- The Police (Sullie)
Blue Sky Mine -- Midnight Oil (Marco)
Teach Your Children -- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Doc Oc)
The Chain -- Fleetwood Mac (Hov34)
Psycho Killer -- Talking Heads (Westerberg)
The Last in Line -- Dio (Hawks64)
Jailbreak -- Thin Lizzy (OH)
Watching the Wheels -- John Lennon and Yoko Ono (Krista and Shuke)
I'm Losing You -- John Lennon and Yoko Ono (Raging Weasel)
Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen (AAABatteries)
Mind Playing Tricks on Me -- Geto Boys (Scorchy)
Edited to 28 (tied for most in one day). Didn't recognize Alibis and Help I'm Alive by title, but I did once I heard them.

Newly posted known favorites:
Mrs. Rannous: Your Wildest Dreams - Moody Blues
rockaction: Armistice - Phoenix
jwb: Looks That Kill - Motley Crue
westerberg: Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
Zegras11: Old Man - Neil Young
Oliver Humanzee: Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy

Favorite new to me:
timschochet: Long Way To Go - Sue Foley

Awesome nostalgia pick:
Andy Dufresne: Wait - White Lion - saw them open for Aerosmith at my second concert ever in 1988.

New category for: That video is...something
JMLs secret identity: Bring Me Edelweiss - Edelweiss

New-to-me favorites from #7:

So Long, Marianne -- Leonard Cohen (Ilov80s). As with most Cohen songs, I never came across this one before. It's chillingly good.
Era -- Opeth (KarmaPolice). Rocks out with a great melody.
Wait -- White Lion (Andy). Doesn't sound like stereotypical hair metal. The guitars are crunchier that what we usually got from those bands, and there's a little Journey in the vibe of the song.
Ponta De Lanca Africano -- Jorge Ben Jor (Eephus). Great grooves. And apparently the lyrics have something to do with soccer (rest of the world: football).
Espiritu -- Paco de Lucía, John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola (Higgins). Masterful.

Messed up by not having Hot Hot Heat's "Pickin' It Up" in there as opposed to "Bandages."

And all the pretty people party while all the party people pout...

A jack of all trades or a master of none
Why do I have to be bored with being foolish and young
The show isn't over but I've long since gone
I feel like I let them down when I don't want to trade my sunshine for a cloudy night...

What a freaking lyric in praise of bonhomie and slagging ennui.

Elevator by Hot Hot Heat is such a fine album if you like that sort of party album. Rock!

Gonna be a long busy weekend. So I’ll see about commenting on my songs in some depth before Monday. Still, today was a noticeable turn, considering I’ve been struggling to recognize half the songs on a typical list.

#7s
Recognized by title alone: 23
Sounded familiar: 4
Knew from this countdown: 3
Didn't know: 12

Selected Favorites:
What A Good Boy (DrIanMalcolm)
Teach Your Children (Dr. Octopus) -Somewhere around #40 on my list. Probably deserved better.
Blue Sky Mine (The Dreaded Marco)
Your Wildest Dreams (Mrs. Rannous) - Plausibly my favorite Moody Blues song. Was thinking of including this during the UK countdown but I completely put them out of mind when doing this list.
Alibis (Doug B)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Long Way To Go (timschochet)
Come On Over [Turn Me On] (simey)
Armistice (rockaction) - Technically in ‘knew from this countdown’ as I’d checked out some Phoenix songs after really liking a previous selection of theirs.
The Recap (Manster)
Dawn of The Dead (ditkaburgers)

Dig The Vibe: Ponta Le Lanca Africano (Eephus)

My top 5 from the 25 point round, excluding my own selection and prior to listening to the songs new to me:
  1. AAABatteries: Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
  2. MAC_32: Crush - Dave Matthews Band
  3. Val Rannous: Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N’ Roses
  4. Hov34: The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
  5. Mt. Man: Still Loving You - Scorpions
Another outstanding round that was hard to cut down to a top 5.

Val Rannous: Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N’ Roses

Quick comment about Welcome to the Jungle - I'm not sure this is my favorite GnR song, but it was the most impactful on me. It's not often that a song from a group I've never heard of before makes my hair stand on end, stare, and mutter "What the hell was THAT!!". I was convinced that GnR might be the last stand against the darkness that grunge was inflicting on Rock music, but unfortunately Axl was a berk, making them flame out way to fast.

Southern Cross71
Fade To Black66
Radar Love61
November Rain56
Fight The Good Fight55
Don't Change54
Watching the Wheels54
Lunatic Fringe52
Twilight Zone52

So just as a reminder that points-per-round matter, and I don't think it's spoiler-y at all, I will say that only two of the 11(?) songs above make it to the final top 10. :shrug:

ETA: For instance, just one vote in the next round for the bottom selection here would vault it into first (if the others didn't have selections). I like seeing the updates, but don't put too much weight on them yet. :)

Last edited:
Twenty-Four-Point Selections:
timschochet:

1-First Time I Died - Ghalia Volt (Belgium)
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

2-La Vie En Rose - Edith Piaf (France)
(new song)

scorchy:

3-Birthday - The Sugarcubes (Iceland)
(new song)

Hawks64:

4-No Woman, No Cry (Live at The Lyceum, London 1975) - Bob Marley
(duplicate, second vote)

Mrs. Rannous:

5-You Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate (Jamaica)
(new song)

titusbramble:
6-
Tage Wie Diese - Die Toten Hosen (German)
(new artist)

JMLs secret identity:

7-Ye Ke Ye Ke - Mory Kante (Guinea)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

8-Of Course I'm Lying - Yello (Switzerland)
(new song)

MAC_32:

9-Killing Me Softly - The Fugees (Wylcef's Haitian)
(new song)

Hov34:

10-Hang On To Your Love - Sade
(new artist)

simsarge:

11-Children Of The Sun - Billy Thorpe (Back in the day, in a little town south of the DMZ and north of Seoul called Donduucheon (aka Tonducheon, aka TDC) ROK. This town's claim to fame (for me at least) was a strip of GI bars with pretty much one of every kind of music and distraction to occupy ones time after duty hours. The dj in one particular place spun the best rock music i'd ever heard (mind you I grew up in Podunkville listening to scratchy AM radio station 30 miles away , so "best" is kinda relative). Mixed with a couple few Peach Oscars the music was great and plenty loud. Best of all it was mostly a straight shot back to the barracks!)
(new artist)

higgins:

12-Silly Love Songs - Wings (UK/US mix)
(new song)
Chaos34:

13-Mirror In The Bathroom - The Beat
(new song)
24 carat gold selections, with only a hint of spoiler

1 - Hey tim, how on earth did you find this artist? Their view count is quite low. Its got a good vibe if you like this type of music and she clearly is putting her heart and soul into it.

2 - 2 Edith Piaf songs now. Highly impressed. Wonder if we will see any more? Not from me btw

3 - Surprised it took this long for Birthday to see the light of day. It was astounding on first listen. Bit creepy lyrically, but Icelandic people are a different breed for sure.

4 - I actually prefer this version to the one i just chose. Didnt think to look for live versions of songs i chose.

5 - Almost chose this one for Hot Chocolate, but went with Every 1’s a Winner. Lots of great material from this band. Happy this one got a run.

6 - Love it when songs like this get chosen. The Dead Trousers or Die Toten Hosen have had 44 songs make the top 40 in Germany, 13 made the top 10 and two made number 1. This one and Zehn Kleine jagermeister. There is great info on Wiki for this song, too much to mention here. Nice anthemic qualities

7 - This number came up in my research. Guinea wasnt a hot bed of musical activity. I played it and boy its catchy. It charted in the UK at #29, but went #1 in 4 countries including the Netherlands, #2 in germany and #5 in his adopted country of France.

8 - As mentioned numerous times, i had trouble choosing a song from Yello. Was gonna go obvious with Oh Yeah, but its not my fave. Went with the one that was. Its such great storytelling.

I love your lies, I love your games
Take me to the ballroom
We're dancing through the night
I'm in your arms, I love your lies
They make me feel so light
You're lying to your shadow
So look into my face
You're lying
(I love it)
You're lying
(I love it)
Other choices from Yello I passed over were Viscous Games, Domingo, I Love You, Blazing Saddles, the Race, Goldrush, Lost Again, Pinball Cha Cha, Desire, Bostich etc

9 - Damn. Was hoping this wouldnt get chosen. Great great cover. Adds somethimg to a brilliant version from Roberta Flack.

10 - Forgot Sade was Nigerian born. Dammit. Plenty of great stuff to choose from, including this one. But id lose William onyeabors Atomic Bomb in the process

11 - Hate to be a party pooper but like most Australian stars of the 60s and 70s, Billy Thorpe was not born there eg Brothers Gibb, ONJ, Ac/DC for the most part etc. Thorpe didnt move there from the UK until he was 9 years old. His most well known songs in Australia are Its almost summer and Most People I know think that Im Crazy

12 - Why this song takes heat i will never know. Its simple, fun and happy. Whats wrong with that? I need to know. Cause here i go agaaaaainnn.

13 - For some reason known as the English Beat in the US. I know why btw. This is more of the uptempo ska that works well.

Looks That Kill - Motley Crue (jwb) - if you haven't seen The Dirt, what are you waiting for? A love of the Crue not required.

Yea The Dirt is really good. Well worth anyone's time even if not a Crue fan. Although the Ozzy scene might be a little much...

im'ma piggyback the biopic shtick with suggesting "Lords of Chaos", the 2018 opus focusing on the early Norwegian Black Metal scene, most notably Mayhem.

ton of liberties were taken, of course ... and it ain't nearly as harrowing as the real tale - but i give it a big A for the effort - was a fun watch.

Last edited:

1 - Hey tim, how on earth did you find this artist? Their view count is quite low. Its got a good vibe if you like this type of music and she clearly is putting her heart and soul into it.

4k subscribers, 207 views...now 208.

I assume closing down the politics forum opened up time for Tim to explore new things. That said, no way this belongs in any top 10 list.

On Looks That Kill - this was Motley Crue's real breakthrough song and put them on everyone's radar, at least in my age group (I was 17). We were already into Ozzy, Leppard, and (for me) Maiden, but Crue was the first real "in your face" band that the older generation really hated. And they basically dominated the music scene, as much for their antics as for their music. They took 70's "trash the hotel room" excess and dialed it to 11 - it wasn't just drunkeness in the hotel after the show - these guys were angry, aggressive a-holes 24/7.

Of course, things turn tragic, Vince has a DIU accident that kills Hanoi Rocks drummer Razzle, some band members get deep into heroin, some leave, etc, but they eventually cleaned up, reunite, and are still touring now (minus Mick Mars, who's now done. I saw them in 2016 or whenever that "last tour" was, and they were pretty good.) But for that summer of 84, for us rock guys, there was nobody bigger than the Crue.

timschochet:

1-First Time I Died - Ghalia Volt (Belgium)
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

2-La Vie En Rose - Edith Piaf (France)
(new song)

scorchy:

3-Birthday - The Sugarcubes (Iceland)
(new song)

Hawks64:

4-No Woman, No Cry (Live at The Lyceum, London 1975) - Bob Marley
(duplicate, second vote)

Mrs. Rannous:

5-You Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate (Jamaica)
(new song)

titusbramble:
6-
Tage Wie Diese - Die Toten Hosen (German)
(new artist)

JMLs secret identity:

7-Ye Ke Ye Ke - Mory Kante (Guinea)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

8-Of Course I'm Lying - Yello (Switzerland)
(new song)

MAC_32:

9-Killing Me Softly - The Fugees (Wylcef's Haitian)
(new song)

Hov34:

10-Hang On To Your Love - Sade
(new artist)

simsarge:

11-Children Of The Sun - Billy Thorpe (Back in the day, in a little town south of the DMZ and north of Seoul called Donduucheon (aka Tonducheon, aka TDC) ROK. This town's claim to fame (for me at least) was a strip of GI bars with pretty much one of every kind of music and distraction to occupy ones time after duty hours. The dj in one particular place spun the best rock music i'd ever heard (mind you I grew up in Podunkville listening to scratchy AM radio station 30 miles away , so "best" is kinda relative). Mixed with a couple few Peach Oscars the music was great and plenty loud. Best of all it was mostly a straight shot back to the barracks!)
(new artist)

higgins:

12-Silly Love Songs - Wings (UK/US mix)
(new song)
Chaos34:

13-Mirror In The Bathroom - The Beat
(new song)

1 - Hey tim, how on earth did you find this artist? Their view count is quite low. It’s got a good vibe if you like this type of music and she clearly is putting her heart and soul into it.
On iTunes there’s a really cool function called “create station” which causes the program to spit out songs that it thinks you might like based on the initial song selected- in this case it was Susan Tedeschi, another blues singer that I love.

I also learned about Larkin Poe, two girls from LA, using the that same function. Similar vibe and I can’t get enough.

I assume closing down the politics forum opened up time for Tim to explore new things. That said, no way this belongs in any top 10 list.
This is supposed to be my favorites right? At the moment “First Time I Died” is one of my favorites. So why shouldn’t I rank it?

On Looks That Kill - this was Motley Crue's real breakthrough song and put them on everyone's radar, at least in my age group (I was 17). We were already into Ozzy, Leppard, and (for me) Maiden, but Crue was the first real "in your face" band that the older generation really hated. And they basically dominated the music scene, as much for their antics as for their music. They took 70's "trash the hotel room" excess and dialed it to 11 - it wasn't just drunkeness in the hotel after the show - these guys were angry, aggressive a-holes 24/7.

Of course, things turn tragic, Vince has a DIU accident that kills Hanoi Rocks drummer Razzle, some band members get deep into heroin, some leave, etc, but they eventually cleaned up, reunite, and are still touring now (minus Mick Mars, who's now done. I saw them in 2016 or whenever that "last tour" was, and they were pretty good.) But for that summer of 84, for us rock guys, there was nobody bigger than the Crue.
Shout At the Devil was the first tape I bought with my own money.

Val Rannous: Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N’ Roses

Quick comment about Welcome to the Jungle - I'm not sure this is my favorite GnR song, but it was the most impactful on me. It's not often that a song from a group I've never heard of before makes my hair stand on end, stare, and mutter "What the hell was THAT!!". I was convinced that GnR might be the last stand against the darkness that grunge was inflicting on Rock music, but unfortunately Axl was a berk, making them flame out way to fast.
They really should have been the Led-Zeppelin of their generation- but like a lot of bands egos and substance abuse got in the way.

This is supposed to be my favorites right? At the moment “First Time I Died” is one of my favorites. So why shouldn’t I rank it?

Interesting question. Taking it to the extreme, I would say my favorite song is my son singing Jingle Bells with a kid originally born in Mexico.

As long as you continued your approach and don't drop in a Metallic song at #1 while omitting all the other big names from your top ten to skew the final results it really doesn't matter. I've been hitting up your songs out of curiosity which has been interesting and why I like your approach. That said, I find the various ranking of the various different Queen, Talking Heads, Metallica, Neil Young, etc songs more interesting.

That said, a fun exercise would be a ranking thread of songs Most Haven't Heard and song Most Have Heard based on some Billboard ranking.

ETA - IMO...You also said "at the moment". Personally I think lists like this should be based on songs that will have staying power in your personal rankings. It's not fair to penalize Stairway for being overplayed and include a cool new tune that would fall below Stairway if it was overplayed.

You probably grabbed the last copy right in front of me.

Interesting question. Taking it to the extreme, I would say my favorite song is my son singing Jingle Bells with a kid originally born in Mexico.

As long as you continued your approach and don't drop in a Metallic song at #1 while omitting all the other big names from your top ten to skew the final results it really doesn't matter. I've been hitting up your songs out of curiosity which has been interesting and why I like your approach. That said, I find the various ranking of the various different Queen, Talking Heads, Metallica, Neil Young, etc songs more interesting.

That said, a fun exercise would be a ranking thread of songs Most Haven't Heard and song Most Have Heard based on some Billboard ranking.

ETA - IMO...You also said "at the moment". Personally I think lists like this should be based on songs that will have staying power in your personal rankings. It's not fair to penalize Stairway for being overplayed and include a cool new tune that would fall below Stairway if it was overplayed.
For me it’s always a mixture. None of the songs remaining on my list are those others haven’t heard before. But it’s not something I ever thought about. And I NEVER considered penalizing songs I don’t want to see at the top. I doubt anybody here has done that.

Twenty-Six-Point Selections:

timschochet:

Cowgirl In The Sand - Neil Young
(new song)

Pip's playlist selection: I'll go with Josie Cotton, whose version appears on Cinnamon Girl: Women Artists Cover Neil Young for Charity, which is pretty good overall. https://open.spotify.com/track/2tmzEd8gX9KQS1JnFaKDlw?si=ee455dce83814639

Just Win Baby:

The Chain - Fleetwood Mac (American and English band members)
(duplicate, fourth vote)

Pip’s Invitation:

I Got You - Split Enz (New Zealand/UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

Andy Dufresne:

You Could Be Mine - Guns N’ Roses
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Oye Como Va - Santana (Mexico/US/Nicaragua)
(duplicate, second vote)

Don Quixote:

Domingo No Parque - Gilberto Gil (Brazil)
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Over My Head - Fleetwood Mac (US and UK)
(new song)

scorchy:

Naive - KMFDM (Germany)
(new artist)

shuke:

Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie …...........Zanzibar represent!
(duplicate, third AND fourth votes today)

Sullie:

Dark Star - Crosby, Stills & Nash (It's either because Graham Nash is British or he auditioned for Rush.)
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) - Arcade Fire
(new song, third neighborhood)

Mister CIA:

Onstá la Yerbita - Los Destellos (Peru)
(new artist)

Hawks64:

Rainbow In The Dark - Dio
(duplicate, second vote)

Mrs. Rannous:

Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mann (UK + South Africa)
(duplicate, second vote)

titusbramble:

Children - Robert Miles (Italian)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Tom Sawyer - Rush
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Get Lucky - Daft Punk (feat. Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers)
(duplicate, third vote)

worrierking:

Pissing In A River - Patti Smith Group (Ivan Kral from Czechoslovakia)
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

Hot For Teacher - Van Halen (Netherlands, US)
(new song)

krista4:

The Weight - The Band (Canada/US)
(duplicate, third vote)

Mt. Man:

Panama - Van Halen (2 from Netherlands)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

Doctorin the Tardis - The Timelords (South Africa)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

Take Yor Whiskey Home - Van Halen (Eddie/Alex - Netherlands/Dutch)
(new song)

simey:

Expecting To Fly - Buffalo Springfield (USA, Canada)
(new song)

rockaction:

Stadium Love - Metric (Canada)
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash (2 US guys; a UK guy, and a Canuck)
(duplicate, third vote)

landrys hat:

Transcendent Ramblin' Railroad Blues - Colter Wall (Canada)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Dreams (Dream Lover) - Faye Wong (China)
(new artist)

MAC_32:

Little Talks - Of Monsters And Men (I misread their homeland in the last countdown as Ireland (it's Iceland))
(new song)

jwb:

Tenebre - Claudio Simonetti's Goblin
(new artist)

(jwb wasn't sure of artist here, but as best I can tell from their website, this is the name)

Eephus:

Down To Zero - Joan Armatrading
(new song)

Hov34:

Absolute - Scritti Politti
(new artist)

Manster:

Motorbreath - Metallica
(new song)

simsarge:

Hold On - Triumph (Triumph. I know, I know. Rik and the boys again. Sorry, not sorry)
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Take Me Away - Fefe Dobson
(new artist)

Doug B:

Electric Blue - Icehouse
(new song)

westerberg:

Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie
(duplicate, third AND fourth votes today)

KarmaPolice:

Meet Me In The Woods - Lord Huron
(new artist)

higgins:

Dancing Queen - ABBA (Norway/Sweden mix)
(duplicate, second vote)

zamboni:

The Prophet's Song - Queen (Zanzibar)
(new song)

Zegras11:

Rockin' In The Free World - Neil Young
(new song)

(Pip’s cover selection: Pearl Jam. Any of their live versions on Spotify will do but the best-known one is on the Live on Two Legs album.)

Oliver Humanzee:

Jailbreak - AC/DC
(duplicate, second vote)

Chaos34:

Johnny B. Good - Peter Tosh
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

End Of The Line - The Traveling Wilburys
(duplicate, second vote)

Last edited:

You probably grabbed the last copy right in front of me.
:ninja: :snipe:

For me it’s always a mixture. None of the songs remaining on my list are those others haven’t heard before. But it’s not something I ever thought about. And I NEVER considered penalizing songs I don’t want to see at the top. I doubt anybody here has done that.

Yup - all time favorites, at the moment new favorites, omit stuff you loved but are tired of... whatever - it's all good and welcome. That's what's made these drafts so awesome (and glad you are in this one - you were the one who caused me to do a deep Velvet Underground dive years ago, and I forever thank you for that).

tim's always been in the music threads and has led a lot of terrific music threads himself. I don't recall seeing you in them before, but there are some such as the 2000s music threads that I don't spend much time in, so maybe those are your jam. In any case, you are very welcome in this one, and it's nice to see new "faces"!

Regarding your statements of what these lists "should" look like, that's not what we've been doing here. Within the parameters of artist eligibility, people are free to do what they wish. In the British Isles one, for instance, if I were going to do a true look at my top 31 songs, they'd be overwhelming Beatles and Beatles-adjacent, which just didn't seem that fun to me. Many of us have limited ourselves to a "one per artist" rule, but many have not. On the other extreme, in the US countdown someone limited himself only to female artists, and in the UK one someone limited himself to music from this century. In this one, JML challenged himself to come up with lists representing 62 different countries, and some of the songs are ones he'd never heard before this exercise. All up to the person in question, and I wouldn't tell someone what they should be doing. The differing approaches has actually made it more fun (to me at least), as we've been introduced to a lot of new music that we've ended up loving!

Your ideas for threads of the "Most Haven't Heard" and "Most Have Heard" sound intriguing. Fire 'em up! We did do one that was sorta like your "Most Have Heard" when we had a draft involving Rolling Stone's latest garbage top 500 list. But it was limited to those 500 songs, so your suggestion is a bit different.

Last edited:
Not going to have time for much in terms of preview:
- A Deja Vote results in a new leader for the Ace Award.
- Both Chaos34 and OH engage in some clever doubling up.
- More Triumph!

"Under Pressure" takes the current lead for the Ace Award.

OH's clever doubling up was two days in a row of "Jailbreak" (Thin Lizzy and AC/DC). Chaos's was more subtle: earlier in the countdown he took "Be Good Johnny" by Men at Work; today he took "Johnny B. Good." :)

Users who are viewing this thread