What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where to draft Rob Gronkowski in 2012? (1 Viewer)

everybody's already aware of the numbers he put up, hence the creation of the thread, but just to underline how far above the 'mean' he is for the position.

9-11 td -- fairly common the last 50 yrs, average of about once/year --- this is your annual top guy

12 td -- just a very few select te managed to sneak past the 11 td barrier the last 50 yrs

13 td -- superte gates managed to one better the elite and set this record in 2004, being matched by vernon davis just a couple years ago

gronk just matched this 13 td season record in his last 8 games.
so if you extrapolate that into next year we could be seeing 25+ tds next year. On a serious note though, I realize that TDs are variable and sold M. Williams high this offseason (based in part on that knowledge) but he's a redzone target like I've never seen. Everyone in the stadium knows it's coming and he is still open or making amazing catches. He's pretty unstoppable.

The only real threats to his continued dominance is if the Pats add a significant wr or Brady gets hurt.

'Bayhawks said:
by the way, you might want to read up on the statistical concept regression to the mean
YOU might actually want to read up on it.According to this theory, if a variable is extreme on its first measurement, it will tend to be closer to the average on a second measurement, and, if it is extreme on a second measurement, it will tend to have been closer to the average on the first measurement

In Gronkowski's rookie season, he had a huge season, and many people believed he wouldn't be able to duplicate it, which is part of the reason why (on average) 8 other TEs were drafted ahead of him.

So, according to regression to the mean, since the "second measurement" was extreme, the "first measurement" will be closer to the average.

In plain english: since Gronk's 2nd season was so great, his first season will be closer to his "average."

A reminder, his 1st season: 11 starts, 42 catches, 547 yards, 10 TDs. Adjusting the stats for his status as a full-time starter, and you are looking at between 800-900 yards and double digit TDs, as his "average."

Whether that is worthy of a 2nd round pick or not is up for debate, but your attempt to use "regression to the mean" as justification for predicting significantly lower stats for Gronkowski is not based on fact or logic.
This post is :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: You use regression to the mean when a player clearly has an outlier in production. But that doesn't apply to Gronkowski here. He along with Jimmy Graham are THAT much better than the TE field.

Let's look into Gronkowski's stats a little more to see why his season really isn't an outlier.

Last year he had only 59 targets, 42 catches for a catch rate of 71.2%. This year he had 90 catches on 124 targets, for a catch rate of 72.5%. Last year he caught 1 TD pass per 4.2 receptions. This year he caught 1 TD per 5.3 receptions. Last year he averaged 13 YPC, and this year he averaged 14.7 YPC. Only major difference between this year and last is opportunity.....he got double the targets and about double the production. So his year wasn't really that different than last year in terms of his production PER TARGET.

So going forward, why would anyone think Gronkowski will regress back to the mean? What mean? A typical TE mean? Come on. His mean stats are about 14 YPC, and a TD for every 5 receptions......seriously, who can stop him in the redzone? Guy is 6-7 and 260 lbs. Too fast for a linebacker and he will "post up" any defensive back in the redzone. He catches 71-72% of his passes.....guy has unbelieveable hands.

So to make the argment that Gronkowski is going to have a significant drop in production, you have to think it's because his targets signficantly go down (or either Brady gets hurt). Why would Gronkowski's targets go down? Is NE all of a sudden going to start running the ball more than passing it? That's laughable. Brady is a lock for 4500 yards and 36+ TDs. Brady is likely going to pass 550+ times. Brady attempted 611 passes this year, a career high. Say he drops back to 550. If you take Gronkowski's target % for this year (about 20%), means Gronkowski gets 110 targets. Apply all of his production stats from the past, Gronk should catch 79 passes for 1090 yards and 15 TDs. That's elite numbers even for a WR. And that assumes that his target % stays the same and Brady passes it 10% LESS than in 2011.

And add in the fact that he's incredibly consistent. He had 4 receptions or more in 15 of 16 games, he had 60 or more yards in 12 of 16 games, and he scored in 10 of 16 games, with 7 of those games with multiple TDs. Regarding value, he's one of the top 10 overall, and should be a first round pick, but likely he will go in the 2nd round in most drafts.

To assume a regression to the mean is not looking at the total picture and assuming that Gronkowski is your typical top 5 TE.....he's not. He is that much better than that.

I'd pretty much agree with fightingillini, and would like to add a couple points.

most people in fantasy tend to shy away from, and make excuses for, a receiver's rookie year, as most receivers just aren't giving you their prime numbers --- why wouldn't we apply this thinking to gronk?

just look at the targets that guy posted.

that said, IF mcd brings in whosis and returns to more 3 wide sets you could see the targets drop, but probably not endzone looks, and we'd see all this play out before the draft if it were to happen.

also, while we're going through his stats, check out yac:

1 Wes Welker 732

2 Darren Sproles 703

3 Ray Rice 666

4 Rob Gronkowski 656

5 Arian Foster 635

9 Aaron Hernandez 519

if you're just nerding out regressing his stats to the mean and not watching the guy play you're only getting half the picture.

edit:

hey, here's another cool stat --- top 10 20+ receptions:

1 Calvin Johnson, WR

2 Steve Smith, WR

3 Larry Fitzgerald, WR

Victor Cruz, WR

5 Rob Gronkowski, TE

6 Wes Welker, WR

Vincent Jackson, WR

8 Brandon Marshall, WR

9 Dwayne Bowe, WR

Jordy Nelson, WR

Last edited by a moderator:
'Bayhawks said:
by the way, you might want to read up on the statistical concept regression to the mean
YOU might actually want to read up on it.According to this theory, if a variable is extreme on its first measurement, it will tend to be closer to the average on a second measurement, and, if it is extreme on a second measurement, it will tend to have been closer to the average on the first measurement

In Gronkowski's rookie season, he had a huge season, and many people believed he wouldn't be able to duplicate it, which is part of the reason why (on average) 8 other TEs were drafted ahead of him.

So, according to regression to the mean, since the "second measurement" was extreme, the "first measurement" will be closer to the average.

In plain english: since Gronk's 2nd season was so great, his first season will be closer to his "average."

A reminder, his 1st season: 11 starts, 42 catches, 547 yards, 10 TDs. Adjusting the stats for his status as a full-time starter, and you are looking at between 800-900 yards and double digit TDs, as his "average."

Whether that is worthy of a 2nd round pick or not is up for debate, but your attempt to use "regression to the mean" as justification for predicting significantly lower stats for Gronkowski is not based on fact or logic.
This post is :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: You use regression to the mean when a player clearly has an outlier in production. But that doesn't apply to Gronkowski here. He along with Jimmy Graham are THAT much better than the TE field.

Let's look into Gronkowski's stats a little more to see why his season really isn't an outlier.

Last year he had only 59 targets, 42 catches for a catch rate of 71.2%. This year he had 90 catches on 124 targets, for a catch rate of 72.5%. Last year he caught 1 TD pass per 4.2 receptions. This year he caught 1 TD per 5.3 receptions. Last year he averaged 13 YPC, and this year he averaged 14.7 YPC. Only major difference between this year and last is opportunity.....he got double the targets and about double the production. So his year wasn't really that different than last year in terms of his production PER TARGET.

So going forward, why would anyone think Gronkowski will regress back to the mean? What mean? A typical TE mean? Come on. His mean stats are about 14 YPC, and a TD for every 5 receptions......seriously, who can stop him in the redzone? Guy is 6-7 and 260 lbs. Too fast for a linebacker and he will "post up" any defensive back in the redzone. He catches 71-72% of his passes.....guy has unbelieveable hands.

So to make the argment that Gronkowski is going to have a significant drop in production, you have to think it's because his targets signficantly go down (or either Brady gets hurt). Why would Gronkowski's targets go down? Is NE all of a sudden going to start running the ball more than passing it? That's laughable. Brady is a lock for 4500 yards and 36+ TDs. Brady is likely going to pass 550+ times. Brady attempted 611 passes this year, a career high. Say he drops back to 550. If you take Gronkowski's target % for this year (about 20%), means Gronkowski gets 110 targets. Apply all of his production stats from the past, Gronk should catch 79 passes for 1090 yards and 15 TDs. That's elite numbers even for a WR. And that assumes that his target % stays the same and Brady passes it 10% LESS than in 2011.

And add in the fact that he's incredibly consistent. He had 4 receptions or more in 15 of 16 games, he had 60 or more yards in 12 of 16 games, and he scored in 10 of 16 games, with 7 of those games with multiple TDs. Regarding value, he's one of the top 10 overall, and should be a first round pick, but likely he will go in the 2nd round in most drafts.

To assume a regression to the mean is not looking at the total picture and assuming that Gronkowski is your typical top 5 TE.....he's not. He is that much better than that.
his 17 TDs this year is indeed an outlier in production. i am looking at the big picture in the sense that Gronkowski's mean number of TDs for his career will be lower than 17, clearly a projection on my part but one i would wager on as i mentioned earlier. i am not doubting that he is a great player and that he won't put up big time numbers. i am just saying that the separation he and jimmy graham have from the rest of the TE field will shrink. bottom line, imo, is that he should probably be drafted in the mid-to-late 2nd round but that someone will pull the trigger earlier than that due to his enormous numbers over the past 25 games. all of VBD is based on projections and i would not be comfortable projecting him with 17 TDs but i can see how others might.

his 17 TDs this year is indeed an outlier in production. i am looking at the big picture in the sense that Gronkowski's mean number of TDs for his career will be lower than 17, clearly a projection on my part but one i would wager on as i mentioned earlier. i am not doubting that he is a great player and that he won't put up big time numbers. i am just saying that the separation he and jimmy graham have from the rest of the TE field will shrink. bottom line, imo, is that he should probably be drafted in the mid-to-late 2nd round but that someone will pull the trigger earlier than that due to his enormous numbers over the past 25 games. all of VBD is based on projections and i would not be comfortable projecting him with 17 TDs but i can see how others might.
would you be willing to project him at 14 td?how many w/r/t do you have projected at 18 td next year?(he had 18, btw)

would you be willing to project him at 14 td?how many w/r/t do you have projected at 18 td next year?(he had 18, btw)
i don't do projections anymore but if i did, i'd probably put him at 12 or 13 TDs which i am guessing puts him in mid or late round 2. i don't think 14 is an unreasonable projection and that might get him near or even into the 1st round based on VBD.

'Bayhawks said:

You don't know that. You're basing your projection by ignoring the facts. 17 TDs is an outlier in production in relation to TYPICAL STUD TE production. But you don't YET know if an outlier to Gronkowski's production. It may or may not. I would say that his talent and situation is better than any TE out there not named Jimmy Graham. Would I project 17 TDs? No. I probably would go with 14 myself. He has had one year at 10 TDs and one year at 17 TDs. If you assume 10% reduction in targets and the same production per target, he projects to 15 TDs.

All you have to do is watch the games. Gronkowski is virtually unstoppable in the redzone. A lot of that does have to do with the fact that NE has other weapons so defenses can't consistently double team Gronk.

Look at it from another angle. Do you think Brady will toss 36 or so TDs next year? I do. Welker is not a threat to go to 10+ TDs....Welker has never been a big TD guy. Add 7-8 TDs for Hernandez. The RBs have averaged about 1 rec TD in the past 3 years under Brady.....because he looks for the TE near the goalline. The other WRs get around 5-6 TDs. That adds up to 20-23 TDs for any Patriot not named Gronkowski. Which puts Gronkowski at 13 TDs minimum. So if you think Gronkowski will regress back to say 11-12 TDs, then you have to think either Brady will regress from 39 TDs down to say 30 TDs, or that some other Patriot is going to have a career year in TDs, say Welker or Hernandez. There is no evidence to back any such claim.

If you think Brady will toss 35-36 TDs, you have to pencil in 14-15 for Gronkowski. Otherwise your ignoring the clear facts just because you're not comfortable with the possiblity that Gronkowski could be THAT good and that 17TDs could be the norm.

Screw the projections...The bottom line is if you want Gronk or Graham you had better plan on taking them very early, otherwise they will be gone.

I took Graham in the 5th of the FBGs survivor draft and was scoffed at.

You don't know that. You're basing your projection by ignoring the facts. 17 TDs is an outlier in production in relation to TYPICAL STUD TE production. But you don't YET know if an outlier to Gronkowski's production. It may or may not. I would say that his talent and situation is better than any TE out there not named Jimmy Graham.

Would I project 17 TDs? No. I probably would go with 14 myself. He has had one year at 10 TDs and one year at 17 TDs. If you assume 10% reduction in targets and the same production per target, he projects to 15 TDs.

All you have to do is watch the games. Gronkowski is virtually unstoppable in the redzone. A lot of that does have to do with the fact that NE has other weapons so defenses can't consistently double team Gronk.

Look at it from another angle. Do you think Brady will toss 36 or so TDs next year? I do. Welker is not a threat to go to 10+ TDs....Welker has never been a big TD guy. Add 7-8 TDs for Hernandez. The RBs have averaged about 1 rec TD in the past 3 years under Brady.....because he looks for the TE near the goalline. The other WRs get around 5-6 TDs. That adds up to 20-23 TDs for any Patriot not named Gronkowski. Which puts Gronkowski at 13 TDs minimum. So if you think Gronkowski will regress back to say 11-12 TDs, then you have to think either Brady will regress from 39 TDs down to say 30 TDs, or that some other Patriot is going to have a career year in TDs, say Welker or Hernandez. There is no evidence to back any such claim.

If you think Brady will toss 35-36 TDs, you have to pencil in 14-15 for Gronkowski. Otherwise your ignoring the clear facts just because you're not comfortable with the possiblity that Gronkowski could be THAT good and that 17TDs could be the norm.
Brady just threw for the most TD's by a 34 yo or older QB - does he do that again or does time catch up to him? He's only thrown for more than 30 TD's three times in his career so I wouldn't be surprised if he 'regressed' back to close to 30 and Gronk 'only' caught 10 TD's next year (still a huge number for a TE).

You don't know that. You're basing your projection by ignoring the facts. 17 TDs is an outlier in production in relation to TYPICAL STUD TE production. But you don't YET know if an outlier to Gronkowski's production. It may or may not. I would say that his talent and situation is better than any TE out there not named Jimmy Graham.

Would I project 17 TDs? No. I probably would go with 14 myself. He has had one year at 10 TDs and one year at 17 TDs. If you assume 10% reduction in targets and the same production per target, he projects to 15 TDs.

Brady just threw for the most TD's by a 34 yo or older QB - does he do that again or does time catch up to him? He's only thrown for more than 30 TD's three times in his career so I wouldn't be surprised if he 'regressed' back to close to 30 and Gronk 'only' caught 10 TD's next year (still a huge number for a TE).
And he's thrown for 30+ in 3 of his last 4 years (other year was 28 in 2009). I think its safe to say Brady has better weapons now than 2 years ago.

All I can say is, thank God for Gronk and Graham, with the overall fourth pick, its going to be a lot easier to snatch one of the Gs at the turn in round three. I dont care which one either. Both you can plug in your lineup and never have to worry until bye or injury. If they both are gone after round 2, so be it.

So instead of topping the TE4 by 121 and 86 pts respectively they will only top them by 100 and 65 pts.

Anyone planning on waiting until Rd 3 for either G is behind the curve. Gronk will go late first/early 2nd and Graham mid 2nd in many a draft this season. I'm not totally convinced either is worth it, but the word is out that these guys are going that high and the natives are horny for both of them, so a self-fulfilling prophesy is now in effect.

Gronk and Graham will both be drafted as top 5 WRs, in addition to being the top 2 TE's. The lowest either should be drafted in a 12 team league is the middle of round 3. But they'll almost certainly be drafted in round 2 in most leagues. I would expect them to go immediately after the top 3 QB, top 3 WR, and top 10 RB's are selected. So around pick 2.5 in a 12 team league.

Users who are viewing this thread