What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which Backs have Better week 17's? (1 Viewer)

Who has best week?

• Frank Gore, SF

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maurice Hicks, SF

• Ron Dayne, DEN

• Maurice Morris, Seattle

• Dominic Rhodes, Indy

• Total voters

pghrob

Hail to the Chief
With many of the playoff positions set, some marquee RB's can use a week off and their coaches will be too glad to preserve their health for a Superbowl run.Barlow is dealing with nagging injuries in SF, and there appears to be a RBBC with Gore and Hicks.The Broncos will likely rest Anderson and his sprained ankle.Alexander will see limited action if he can score his 28th TD early. The Colts will not need the services of Edge.Who will have the best week? Rank them.Edited to add I should have added Tatum Bell, Den

Last edited by a moderator:
Good topic Rob. Seeing as my two regular season starters were Alexander and Anderson, I'll be eagerly looking forward to the thoughts and info contained within this thread.I'm probaby going to start Alexander over Morris at this point as I'm certain he's good for at least 1 TD next week. I'm thinking that even if Morris is playing, they may bring Alexander in to vulture whatever TDs are on the table so he can build his TD record. Just a thought.

Thanks AcouticNut. I am in the same boat. Some of those other guys have been showcasing (Gore as of late and Dayne when given the nod) their skills.Re: Alexander, I am skeptical that Holmgren gives him much time. I like the idea of vultures, though, but even there I can see Holmgren giving him additional tries if he gets his 28th.It is a tough call this week for forecasting the Seahawk's running game.

Thanks AcouticNut. I am in the same boat. Some of those other guys have been showcasing (Gore as of late and Dayne when given the nod) their skills.

Re: Alexander, I am skeptical that Holmgren gives him much time. I like the idea of vultures, though, but even their I can see Holmgren giving him additional tries if he gets his 28th.

It is a tough call this week for forecasting the Seahawk's running game.
I agree with Holmgren not giving Alexander a lot of touches. Last year Alexander was a yard away from the rushing title and Holmgren didn't run it on his one chance which makes me think he could care less about Alexander's record.

I think Morency could be a sneaky start this week, if Davis and Wells are out this week. A thread by Moose says they will sit Wed practice. Something to monitor even though it is likely one of the two will play.

Rhodes looked terrible last week - and it wasn't because of the OL - he ran tenative. I voted Morris.

Here is a little more about what Holmgren said regarding Alexander and others playing time:

Q: What is the scenario if he hasn’t scored after a few series and you have the ball at the goal line?

Holmgren: “I don’t know. Let me think about that one a little. I want him to get the record; we all want him to get the record. Green Bay, of course, is going to do everything in their power to win the football game and not give him the record. The most important thing is we have our guys healthy for the playoffs. If the situation comes up, I am going to have to make the decision at the time, just like whether to go for it on forth down or not.”

Q: Why are you playing Alexander?

Holmgren: “We are going to win the game. The game is important to us, and all season long I have preached that we play the game a certain way, we practice a certain way, and we try and set a standard of play. I don’t look at this game, even though I have the luxury of substituting some of our young guys in there. I want out starters to play and I want them to play well and I want them to move the football. That’s what they have been doing all year, so we are not going to do anything different now. Just that now I have the luxury of, at some point, putting the younger guys in there.”

“Happy New Year everybody. It’s going to be a little bit of a different game because we are going to probably substitute pretty liberally in the game. (Andre) Dyson will not even travel. (Marcus) Trufant will not travel. Some of the other fellas, I will have to see. If they are injured we are going to try and get them well, obviously, for the playoffs. As far as everyone else, we are just going to start who we normally start. How long they play, it will be a little bit of a feel thing for me during the ballgame. We have talked about it as a staff, I am not going to go into great detail on how I am going to do that, but we are going to substitute a little bit.”

I think Morency could be a sneaky start this week, if Davis and Wells are out this week. A thread by Moose says they will sit Wed practice. Something to monitor even though it is likely one of the two will play.
But we know nothing about what this kid can do. Would you really be comfortable starting him in the championship game?

I think Morency could be a sneaky start this week, if Davis and Wells are out this week.  A thread by Moose says they will sit Wed practice.  Something to monitor even though it is likely one of the two will play.
But we know nothing about what this kid can do. Would you really be comfortable starting him in the championship game?
Wells is probable and Davis is out, so Wells will probably get the majority of the carries.

I think Gore is the pick of the litter here.I don't see the Gore/Hicks game being RBBC if Gore starts. Why does San Francisco bother with RBBC? It's the last game of the season and they have a relative unknown in Gore whom they drafted this year and may be looking to as their featured back in the future -- why bother playing a guy like Hicks (career backup) to keep him fresh or save him from injury? The worst thing that happens is Gore gets hurt -- and at this point, who cares, he has an entire offseason to get healthy.Last week I posted all over the board about how I liked Gore a ton this past weekend, and he had a very solid game. My hope would be that he gets more touches and yards this week, and perhaps another TD. Still, I'll admit the risk of limited touches gives me pause.

I think Gore is the pick of the litter here.

I don't see the Gore/Hicks game being RBBC if Gore starts. Why does San Francisco bother with RBBC? It's the last game of the season and they have a relative unknown in Gore whom they drafted this year and may be looking to as their featured back in the future -- why bother playing a guy like Hicks (career backup) to keep him fresh or save him from injury? The worst thing that happens is Gore gets hurt -- and at this point, who cares, he has an entire offseason to get healthy.

Last week I posted all over the board about how I liked Gore a ton this past weekend, and he had a very solid game. My hope would be that he gets more touches and yards this week, and perhaps another TD.

Still, I'll admit the risk of limited touches gives me pause.
Gore has two hurt shoulders which is why Hicks has had more playing time. Gore is playing through pain.

I think Gore is the pick of the litter here.

I don't see the Gore/Hicks game being RBBC if Gore starts. Why does San Francisco bother with RBBC? It's the last game of the season and they have a relative unknown in Gore whom they drafted this year and may be looking to as their featured back in the future -- why bother playing a guy like Hicks (career backup) to keep him fresh or save him from injury? The worst thing that happens is Gore gets hurt -- and at this point, who cares, he has an entire offseason to get healthy.

Last week I posted all over the board about how I liked Gore a ton this past weekend, and he had a very solid game. My hope would be that he gets more touches and yards this week, and perhaps another TD.

Still, I'll admit the risk of limited touches gives me pause.
Gore has two hurt shoulders which is why Hicks has had more playing time. Gore is playing through pain.

Gore showing toughness by playing through the pain will do alot to instill confidence in his coaches. He showed last week he can do that. Surgey on both shoulders in the off season was in the works prior to last week's game. Anybody thinking about starting both Alexander and Morris for lineups that require only 2 rb's?

I think Morency could be a sneaky start this week, if Davis and Wells are out this week.  A thread by Moose says they will sit Wed practice.  Something to monitor even though it is likely one of the two will play.
I made this call on Monday before we knew anything about Davis' injury. It is/was a longshot for the circumstances to happen right for the opportunity. In addition, I had a suspicion about Wells. He was held out of Wednesday's practice. And, yes, I would start him (if wells does not play) over some of the waiver wire fodder in my leagues like:Houston

Henry

Rhodes

THe only other guy I'd like (depending on how many carries he will get) is A Peterson.

So, to answer your question: YES

keep your eye on adrian peterson for the bears, as tjones won't play much if at all and cedric benson won't be back for the game

Don't see him addressed here, but read somewhere else that V. Haynes could be a good option this week. If the Steelers get a nice lead, he could come in and grind out a lot of yards in the 2nd half...maybe a score. 10-57-1 last week. Any opinions...or links? TIA.

I think the following backs could be in for a solid week:Adrian Peterson - Lovie Smith has said that once Thomas Jones gets to 1,300 yards, he's gone. That's only 27 yards!!! Looks like Peterson will go the whole game. I don't even think Benson will suit up.Jonathan Wells - All reports I've read say he'll play. The Niners have allowed a lot of rushing TDs AND...it will be wet in S.F. So, I see A LOT of running.I agree with earlier posts doubting Rhodes. Here's my two cents. First, James will run through at least the first quarter, maybe more. Second, Rhodes will be spelled by Mungro at some point. This means you might only get 2 1/2 quarters out of Rhodes. I'd rather have Wells or Peterson for a longer stretch.

I think the following backs could be in for a solid week:

Adrian Peterson - Lovie Smith has said that once Thomas Jones gets to 1,300 yards, he's gone. That's only 27 yards!!! Looks like Peterson will go the whole game. I don't even think Benson will suit up.

Jonathan Wells - All reports I've read say he'll play. The Niners have allowed a lot of rushing TDs AND...it will be wet in S.F. So, I see A LOT of running.

I agree with earlier posts doubting Rhodes. Here's my two cents. First, James will run through at least the first quarter, maybe more. Second, Rhodes will be spelled by Mungro at some point. This means you might only get 2 1/2 quarters out of Rhodes. I'd rather have Wells or Peterson for a longer stretch.
I would agree with this. Rhodes does not look like a very good option. Peterson and Wells could be.

Gore is winning here, and I agree with this completely.What if we throw Willie Parker in the mix? Do we like him better than Gore? He is not really an "understudy" but he is a guy who is not guaranteed many carries, which, to me, makes him just as risky.Thoughts?

This seals it:

Frank Gore to start Frank Gore, RB SFNews: Kevan Barlow (knee) has been placed on injured reserve and will miss the rest of the season, so Frank Gore will start in the regular-season finale against Houston.Analysis: Gore is a fantastic sleeper option this week against the Texans.

I know Gore is not available on the wire for many. But, Morency, as called here Monday, is the starter. He might be available on the wire and wants to prove himself.

Users who are viewing this thread