What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which Defenses will be a lot WORSE this year? (1 Viewer)

After the Rain

Footballguy
For the purposes of avoiding picking the defenses as well as targeting players who will have matchups against them, I'm wondering which teams you guys think will be significantly worse this coming year.

I gotta think Balt will be one. Reed and Lewis were not doubt all that they once were but the loss of the intangibles alone has got to mean a lot!

Chicago and it's not even close.

From a fantasy view we all know TDs in offensive players is somewhat random, so an aging defense that lost players I just can't score TDs like that again.

Baltimore did loss two HoF players who can't be replaced but when you look at that defense it isn't quite as bad as I thought it was.

Lewis was already rotating with other guys last year. They added a first round safety (I would've like them to trade up for Vaccaro but that's easier said then done), a solid second round LB, Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Elvis Dumerville, Daryl Smith and Michael Huff.

Might not be a dream team but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Baltimore did loss two HoF players who can't be replaced but when you look at that defense it isn't quite as bad as I thought it was.

Lewis was already rotating with other guys last year. They added a first round safety (I would've like them to trade up for Vaccaro but that's easier said then done), a solid second round LB, Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Elvis Dumerville, Daryl Smith and Michael Huff.

Might not be a dream team but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Baltimore will be fine, Webb coming back and the addition of Elam and Huff greatly improves their secondary and a fully healthy Suggs matched with a Dumervil is going to be effective. Thats without even talking about how Ngata was playing at less than 100% for the better part of last year.

Baltimore's defense last year wasn't really that great, this one has potential to actually be better.

Not Green Bay's! Confetti. It's statistically very unlikely to have a record breakingly bad defense one year follow by an even worse defense the next. Regression to the mean for the win! To be worse, they'd have to trot out 7 guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

From a fantasy view we all know TDs in offensive players is somewhat random, so an aging defense that lost players I just can't score TDs like that again.
Explain this?
They were lucky to score def/st TDs every week and they'd be even luckier to do it again after losing their best player in 2 decades. Seems pretty straight forward.

Urlacher had a great career, no doubt, but he looked slow and might have been the weak link in 2012. Is his retirement really going to affect the Bears' D that much?

Explain this?
They were lucky to score def/st TDs every week and they'd be even luckier to do it again after losing their best player in 2 decades. Seems pretty straight forward.
and their TB cover2 coach in Lovie

not sure who is calling the signals now in Chi with Trestman on board

Explain this?
and their TB cover2 coach in Lovie

not sure who is calling the signals now in Chi with Trestman on board
Urlacher was a shadow of his former self the past couple years and the Bears finished #1 and #2.

Mel Tucker is the new DC and he helped make the Jags respectable when he took over play calling in 2011. Last year he only had 5 starters play 16 games on a not very talented defense.

2009: 24th in points allowed, 23rd in yards allowed, 28th in DVOA

2010: 27th in points allowed, 28th in yards allowed, 32nd in DVOA

2011: 11th in points allowed, 6th in yards allowed, 5th in DVOA

2012: 29th in points allowed, 30th in yards allowed, 28th in DVOA

Users who are viewing this thread