What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which NFL team should start negotiating with Deion Sanders? Las Vegas, Arizona or Miami? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I know what you're thinking, Miami MoP? Seriously?
-Well, here is the thing, if they lose to the Bolts on the road Week 1 then Miami will be 9-10 since McDaniel took over for Flores and the Phins are loaded

This is really about Primetime and how he was laughed at in the media as he has been at every stop so far.
You can point to some negatives surrounding his coaching but so far the results speak for themselves.
I understand it's not the Xs and Os he draws up, but he knows how to make a rock show tour out of football.
Sanders is the brand and he attracts certain players and assistant coaches, you either get it or you don't.
His charisma and level of influence inside a locker room on most teams cannot be denied to this point.
Again I want to stress, I am not saying he is smarter than other head coaches, that is not what I'm saying.

He signed a 5 yr/$30M deal, he can sit tight and allow 1-2 more recruiting classes elevate his stock but he also can make a leap quickly if he wants with his connections.

-I saw one of his assistants in tears on the sidelines hugging him, potential recruits are watching this in their living rooms and running to call Colorado to see if they can grab an open spot.
Incredible performance taking a 1-10 team and beating a ranked opponent, TCU which IIRC got waxed in the Title game vs Georgia whenever that was but this was a credible victory and people with money are taking notice of what is happening.

FWIW I think Sanders is perfectly suited for big time college football. Some power team will come after him in short order. His reputation and persona will draw talent and if it's a program with good NIL opportunities he will have rosters stacked enough that adequate coaching will be sufficient.

In the NFL I think he would get eaten alive. Like Mike Singletary showing his ### bad.

Last edited:
My goodness! It was one game!
TCU ranked 2nd in the country entering the Title Game
That was in Jan '23, earlier this year
Colorado was 1-10 last year, they won 1 bleeping game the entire year

And the Buffalo go out there and beat what was the 2nd ranked team in the country just last January, that is some insane craziness if you ask me
It's worth more than just "It's 1 game"

But that's me

FWIW I think Sanders is perfectly suited for big time college football. Some power team will come after him in short order. His reputation and persona will draw talent and of it's a program with good NIL opportunities he will have rosters stacked enough that adequate coaching will be sufficient.

In the NFL I think he would get eaten alive. Like Mike Singletary showing his ### bad.
I'd fire Cristobal tomorrow and hire Sanders, you can get assistants to do anything, you need a leader these days, an orator that can communicate with both the past and present.

And the Buffalo go out there and beat what was the 2nd ranked team in the country just last January, that is some insane craziness if you ask me

But that's me
Come on now. TCU lost their starting QB, starting RB, #1 & #2 WRs & Center.

This was nowhere near the #2 team in the country. They probably are nowhere near the #17 team in the country.

This was nowhere near the #2 team in the country. They probably are nowhere near the #17 team in the country.
You are probably right, but nonetheless TCU is a legit program, with a system, and a bunch of guys who know that system.

Deion basically cut his whole team, did some recruiting, then took them on the road and his son set a Colorado single game passing record.

Best debut ever.

Also! This Deion to the NFL clickbait Pro Football Talk garbage is garbage. Like brain cancer. ball cancer. ball cancer that spreads to your brain.

-Well, here is the thing, if they lose to the Bolts on the road Week 1 then Miami will be 9-10 since McDaniel took over for Flores and the Phins are loaded

This is really about Primetime and how he was laughed at in the media as he has been at every stop so far.
You can point to some negatives surrounding his coaching but so far the results speak for themselves.
I understand it's not the Xs and Os he draws up, but he knows how to make a rock show tour out of football.
Sanders is the brand and he attracts certain players and assistant coaches, you either get it or you don't.
His charisma and level of influence inside a locker room on most teams cannot be denied to this point.
Again I want to stress, I am not saying he is smarter than other head coaches, that is not what I'm saying.

He signed a 5 yr/$30M deal, he can sit tight and allow 1-2 more recruiting classes elevate his stock but he also can make a leap quickly if he wants with his connections.

-I saw one of his assistants in tears on the sidelines hugging him, potential recruits are watching this in their living rooms and running to call Colorado to see if they can grab an open spot.
Incredible performance taking a 1-10 team and beating a ranked opponent, TCU which IIRC got waxed in the Title game vs Georgia whenever that was but this was a credible victory and people with money are taking notice of what is happening.
But if you did say it, it would probably be true.

But that's me
I think this was a huge statement win for Deion and the program.

But TCU is hardly the same team that was ranked #2 in January. Let's not pretend their January ranking has any bearing.

I think Deion is PERFECT for college.

Kids are drawn to him. He was a super star. He has unwavering confidence in everything he does and says. Want to get to the NFL? I been there. Want to be a star? Done that. Want to make money? Got you.

Parents of this generation grew up watching the guy on Sundays. Imagine your kid is a 5 star football player and Deion Sanders of all people is in your living room telling you he's going to turn your son into a man and a millionaire.

He's generating excitement around...Colorado of all places. Kids are going to want to go there and be part of it. He got Travis Hunter to Jackson State. You think he's not getting 5 star players at a big University?

The only question with Colorado is how long he'll ride it out there. I assume a few years as he builds and recruits and proves to people he can win anywhere.

Part of me questions if he wants to go to somewhere like LSU or Ohio State or Bama should they even open up. He's eating up this "We're gonna prove you wrong" mentality. Does he want to be at an elite program where they expect him to win?

NFL doesn't really suit him. I actually think he's a good x's and o's coach. But that's not what he's special at. He's lighting a fire under these young men. He's making them believe. He's selling the Deion Sanders experience--I'll make you great, I'll make you a pro. I'll teach you to be a young man navigating all the traps you'll face along the way. Kids are going to sign up.

In the NFL, it's a different world. You're not going to build a team of elite talent because they're drawn to Deion.

FWIW I think Sanders is perfectly suited for big time college football. Some power team will come after him in short order. His reputation and persona will draw talent and of it's a program with good NIL opportunities he will have rosters stacked enough that adequate coaching will be sufficient.

I'd fire Cristobal tomorrow and hire Sanders, you can get assistants to do anything, you need a leader these days, an orator that can communicate with both the past and present.
Miami is definitely the place for Prime! I don't think he is ready for NFL coaching. I think he leaves Colorado when his son does.

Aren't there a lot of crazy upsets in college football? Maybe this is a bad example but I just watched the Manziel movie last night. Wouldn't negotiating with Deon Sanders now be like negotiating with Kevin Sumlin after they upset Alabama? How much of this is coaching and how much is having a few talented and undaunted players?

I know there are some hard feeling between him and his alma. However, if Mike Norvell does not continue his “Climb” then reconciliation with the Noles will always be an option.

A terrible one. It has been one game.
I get that they hype can be annoying, but I kind of think it's appropriate.

I don't see anyone talking playoffs, but whatever he needed to do in order for people to think he was on the right track, he tripled. Quadrupled. He crushed it.

Yeah, it's one game. Yeah, TCU isn't the same as last year. It was probably the best debut for an unproven coach ever.

I'll just tap the brakes and say it was great to see his team win.

He could go to the Cardinals or Raiders next year, but it might be a better option for him to first go to TCU or somesuch and then bounce to the NFL.

I actually don't think he would be a colossal Lou Holtz / Nick Saban failure in the NFL, because charisma plus accountability in his players.

You are probably right, but nonetheless TCU is a legit program, with a system, and a bunch of guys who know that system.

Deion basically cut his whole team, did some recruiting, then took them on the road and his son set a Colorado single game passing record.

Best debut ever.

Also! This Deion to the NFL clickbait Pro Football Talk garbage is garbage. Like brain cancer. ball cancer. ball cancer that spreads to your brain.
This post starts off so well, and it's clear we think similar but then...let's just say it's nice to be loved.

I'm surprised you would even post in here but thanks!
:banned:

Aren't there a lot of crazy upsets in college football? Maybe this is a bad example but I just watched the Manziel movie last night. Wouldn't negotiating with Deon Sanders now be like negotiating with Kevin Sumlin after they upset Alabama? How much of this is coaching and how much is having a few talented and undaunted players?
college coaching is all about recruiting. So on that front, Deion is about as good as it gets. And on the coaching front, I think he's proving a lot of people wrong.

But that's me

Not only that, but Colorado had 51 players transfer in so it's an entirely different team than the the 1 win team they had last year.

But that's me

Not only that, but Colorado had 51 players transfer in so it's an entirely different team than the the 1 win team they had last year.
it was 31, then it was 41, now it's 51, they fired everyone that worked or got a paycheck or got a free ride from Colorado
They put everyone in the shipping container and brought them all over from Jackson St
Get it out

1-10 team beat the runner up in the National Championship game from 8 months ago but let's tear apart the runner up team vs praising Sanders and company...
"Eat it, Harvey!"
-Die Hard

Last edited:

But that's me

it was 31, then it was 41, now it's 51, they fired everyone that worked or got a paycheck or got a free ride from Colorado
They put everyone in the shipping container and brought them all over from Jackson St
Get it out of your system, whatever bias-hatred towards Deion Sanders and what he represents, just get it out of your system

1-10 team beat the runner up in the National Championship game from 8 months ago but let's tear apart the runner up team vs praising Sanders and company...
"Eat it, Harvey!"
-Die Hard

I don't have any hate for Deion Sanders. But I'm not willing to say that the 1 win Colorado team from 2022 just beat TCU in week 1 of 2023. It's an entirely different team.

1st. It’s one game. A little premature.
But 2nd. What would be his dream college team to coach? Other than a couple programs (Bama, Buckeyes and a couple other elites) it’s looking like he might get to work his way up to where he wants to go if he continues like this.
Does he want Florida State?

But that's me

Get it out of your system, whatever bias-hatred towards Deion Sanders and what he represents, just get it out of your system

"Eat it, Harvey!"
-Die Hard

I don't have any hate for Deion Sanders. But I'm not willing to say that the 1 win Colorado team from 2022 just beat TCU in week 1 of 2023. It's an entirely different team.
You know I respect you, thank you for letting me have some fun.
Feel free to spike the football as needed.

I give Sanders, both of them, a fighting chance

But I'm not willing to say that the 1 win Colorado team from 2022 just beat TCU in week 1 of 2023. It's an entirely different team
Yes, he didn't beat last year's TCU team with last year's Colorado team.

What he did do was basically build a team from scratch, and go on the road and win in his first game, against a legit team.

The fact that the team was even close to ready to compete is really impressive.

1st. It’s one game. A little premature.
But 2nd. What would be his dream college team to coach? Other than a couple programs (Bama, Buckeyes and a couple other elites) it’s looking like he might get to work his way up to where he wants to go if he continues like this.
Does he want Florida State?
Yes I imagine it would be Florida State. But maybe it's Colorado for a couple years, then the NFL. I think Deion would do well in NFL.

They beat the #15 team. It was an amazing accomplishment. They should be very proud, and hyped for the season.

We don't know if his style will work long-term in COLLEGE, much less the NFL. He could be Nick Saban in college, get to the NFL and be...Nick Saban.

I need more than a three-point win against a ranked team before I even consider his long-term college prospects, much less pro. Happy for the program, and he silenced a lot of critics. But let's see how it goes over a few seasons before we decide he can even handle a bigger program first.

They beat the #15 team. It was an amazing accomplishment. They should be very proud, and hyped for the season.

We don't know if his style will work long-term in COLLEGE, much less the NFL. He could be Nick Saban in college, get to the NFL and be...Nick Saban.

I need more than a three-point win against a ranked team before I even consider his long-term college prospects, much less pro. Happy for the program, and he silenced a lot of critics. But let's see how it goes over a few seasons before we decide he can even handle a bigger program first.
I get what you're saying, still a major accomplishment
Colorado still likely to be Sub .500 for the season
Might lose to Nebraska this weekend and they play some even harder and higher ranked teams in the coming weeks.

I get what you're saying, still a major accomplishment
Colorado still likely to be Sub .500 for the season
Might lose to Nebraska this weekend and they play some even harder and higher ranked teams in the coming weeks.
I think we also learned that TCU isn't very good. And I believe the Prime Time hype is what got Colorado ranked this week. They sure didn't show much on defense. I feel like I'm downplaying the accomplishment and I don't want to do that. They deserve the attention they're getting. I just want to see a good effort against Oregon and USC. They don't even have to win; just be in the game.

College = Recruiting

Geoff Schwartz@GeffSchwatz
Thoughts on Colorado. I've been covering them near daily since Deion was hired

-They started far better than I expected but will finish half a game above Vegas win total
-I think it's concerning the team got worse throughout the season. You'd like to see that reversed.
Do people still think he is an NFL calibre Coach?

-They started far better than I expected but will finish half a game above Vegas win total
-I think it's concerning the team got worse throughout the season. You'd like to see that reversed.
Who thought he was ever an NFL caliber coach. Sanders is a fun story for Colotado and the media but he has a lot of learning to do before he can be considered a good coach at any level.

Who thought he was ever an NFL caliber coach. Sanders is a fun story for Colotado and the media but he has a lot of learning to do before he can be considered a good coach at any level.

A buddy of mine said it perfectly.
"Its a great story, another news topic that can go a long way in the media. I like Sanders, but he is literally in the perfect scenario". (College)

But if everyone thinks he will come along and give these big money athletes orders (err coaching) then I have some bad news for you. Let's be fair, he can give the young ones some good guidance, (and thats a really good thing) but I don't see many of the big $$$ athletes putting up with this *********.

That said, I hope he succeeds, I just don't know if it will ever be at the NFL level. I'm rooting for him though, he really seems like he is trying to win, and is happy to be enjoying the spotlight again.

Users who are viewing this thread