What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whitehurst - Traded to Seattle (1 Viewer)

bicycle_seat_sniffer

Smells like chicken
John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports San Diego Chargers restricted free-agent QB Charlie Whitehurst has informed the Chargers that he will sign his one-year tender offer, which will allow the Chargers to begin trade talks with the Seattle Seahawks on his behalf, according to a source.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports San Diego Chargers restricted free-agent QB Charlie Whitehurst has informed the Chargers that he will sign his one-year tender offer, which will allow the Chargers to begin trade talks with the Seattle Seahawks on his behalf, according to a source.
So has Whitehurst showed you anything to the point where you think he could be the heir apparent in Seattle?

He's got the physical tools, but he checks his brain at the door sometimes. Tends to throw too high as well.

So has Whitehurst showed you anything to the point where you think he could be the heir apparent in Seattle?
That is the beauty about this guy...and if I have learned one thing about the NFL since being involved in FF for the past 13 years is that they love an enigma.

I wonder what the Chargers will get from Sea. They don't have a 3rd right? So I'm hoping it's better than that since they could have gotten a 3rd from Az.

I wonder what the Chargers will get from Sea. They don't have a 3rd right? So I'm hoping it's better than that since they could have gotten a 3rd from Az.
Perhpas after Arizona signed Derek Anderson, that third was off to table and the Chargers are going to now take what they can get. My guess is a 4th should do it.

Perhpas after Arizona signed Derek Anderson, that third was off to table and the Chargers are going to now take what they can get. My guess is a 4th should do it.
Clayton made it sound like AZ signed Anderson after they heard the Chargers were going to deal Whitehurst to Sea. :shrug:

Sweet Love said:
Dr. Octopus said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
That is the beauty about this guy...and if I have learned one thing about the NFL since being involved in FF for the past 13 years is that they love an enigma.
As a fan, I'd take the 'enigma' over retreads like Carr, Anderson, Grossman, et al any day.

Thats alot to give up, and alot to pay for Whitehurst. The next Tony Romo?
Maybe...In this case, the 'unknown' (Whitehurst), is a better risk than the 'known' (D Anderson, Carr, Delhomme, etc).
Time will tell. Personally I think it is absolutely bonkers for Pete Carroll to make this tradedown/$10 mil commitment to an unproven QB potentially his defining maneuver. It's analogous to what Childress did with Tarvaris in that the team is almost forced to put this guy on the field, ready or not, to justify that commitment.

Thats alot to give up, and alot to pay for Whitehurst. The next Tony Romo?
Maybe...In this case, the 'unknown' (Whitehurst), is a better risk than the 'known' (D Anderson, Carr, Delhomme, etc).
Time will tell. Personally I think it is absolutely bonkers for Pete Carroll to make this tradedown/$10 mil commitment to an unproven QB potentially his defining maneuver. It's analogous to what Childress did with Tarvaris in that the team is almost forced to put this guy on the field, ready or not, to justify that commitment.
Im sure he knows more about Whitehurt then we do. There were alot of people on this board who thought letting Favre walk for an unproven player lilke Rodgers was crazy too.

Trading that much for a guy that couldn't beat out Billy Volek and has been up and down at best in preseason? :bag: If there's a plan to all these moves I don't see it.

So now if Hass starts this year and next, what do they do then? They will have to extend Whitehurst given they gave up a 3rd round pick and a much better 2nd round pick.

Pete Caroll continues to show how he has no clue how the NFL works....vs college.

So now if Hass starts this year and next, what do they do then? They will have to extend Whitehurst given they gave up a 3rd round pick and a much better 2nd round pick.

Pete Caroll continues to show how he has no clue how the NFL works....vs college.
Yeah, but a bunch of FF geeks that post here do? :bag:

So, let me get this right. Seattle gives up a third AND swaps 2nds move back 20 spots to get a guy that was only tendered at a third. Then you give him 5mil a year even though he couldn't beat out Bill Volek to hold the clipboad om gameday. Maybe this is why other teams wouldn't give Pete Carroll full control.

I'm glad that the questionable use of a 3rd round pick to draft him actually came to something.

At first glance this looks horrible for Seattle. I know nothing about Whitehurst. I guess time will tell, but I have a bad feeling about this....

So, let me get this right. Seattle gives up a third AND swaps 2nds move back 20 spots to get a guy that was only tendered at a third. Then you give him 5mil a year even though he couldn't beat out Bill Volek to hold the clipboad om gameday. Maybe this is why other teams wouldn't give Pete Carroll full control.
Seahawks don't have a third round pick, so they couldn't sign him to an offer sheet.The Cardinals were bidding against the Seahawks, which probably drove the price to 2yr/$10 million. John Clayton said negotiations went past 11 pm last night before Whitehurst decided on the Seahawks. That led to the DA signing by Arizona.

At first glance this looks horrible for Seattle. I know nothing about Whitehurst. I guess time will tell, but I have a bad feeling about this....
If it means anything, the Chargers saw enough to use a 3rd round pick on him when they already had a Pro Bowl QB.

If it means anything, the Chargers saw enough to use a 3rd round pick on him when they already had a Pro Bowl QB.
Yeah, just saw that. He has good size. Reviewed his college numbers and they aren't that impressive, but I don't know what kind of offense Clemson ran in the early/mid 00's. Don't know what kind of talent he had surrounding him either. I just don't know jack about this guy. I hope Carroll and John Schneider do.The only thing I definitely like about this is that Seattle likely won't draft a QB at 6 or 14 and that's good.

Good move for SD, do they go Runningback with the 2.06 now?
I'd say it depends on which backs are still on the board but it's very likely.
I'm really hoping they spend their early picks on the defensive line. Good move for the Bolts.Not totally crazy for the Hawks. They get a guy who's spent a few years with Norv (who is not the worst QB mentor in the world) has some ability, won't cost as much as a high 1st rounder and lets the Hawks do something else with their 1st rounders (like oline maybe). Give him a year of Hasselbeck tutoring and probably give him a shot in 2011 - if there's a season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet Love said:
Dr. Octopus said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
As a fan, I'd take the 'enigma' over retreads like Carr, Anderson, Grossman, et al any day.
Unfortunately, you don't just "take" Whitehurst. You trade down in the second and also give up a third for him...versus the other guys you could just sign.

On the value chart, the points add up the Whitehurst for the last pick in the 2nd round. Not too bad.

I'm not very happy about it because I wanted Clausen.

this deal makes me smile.Terreance Cody and Jonathan Dwyer come on down!
NOt sure why you want Dwyer. I think a RB can be had later. I would be hoping McCourty drops to them in the 2nd. Or take Charles Brown in the first and Cody in the 2nd as a much better plan and get RB later.

This trade looks like a :tfp: for Seattle. With the abundance of QB's, why couldn't Reid abuse Carroll like this? :shrug: :shrug:

this deal makes me smile.Terreance Cody and Jonathan Dwyer come on down!
NOt sure why you want Dwyer. I think a RB can be had later. I would be hoping McCourty drops to them in the 2nd. Or take Charles Brown in the first and Cody in the 2nd as a much better plan and get RB later.
I bet you they go RB with one of these picks. Mathews, Best, Dwyer they are getting one of them

Wow. Just a terrible trade for Seattle. This is like the time Miami traded a 2nd rounder to the Eagles for AJ Feely.

I've got to echo the sentiments on this board.

A dope trade by Seattle. I hope CW pans out, but I have deep reservations.

Steep price to pay.

I think Scneider dud a very good job filling GB's roster so I'm trusting there's a plan. I know Carroll has the final say but again, I'm hoping there's a plan. I refuse to worry about it or make dire predictions about the soundness of the moves until I see the results. But whether it's good or bad, it'll still be better than having Mora and Ruskell running the team into the ground.

I think Scneider dud a very good job filling GB's roster so I'm trusting there's a plan. I know Carroll has the final say but again, I'm hoping there's a plan. I refuse to worry about it or make dire predictions about the soundness of the moves until I see the results. But whether it's good or bad, it'll still be better than having Mora and Ruskell running the team into the ground.
:thumbup: :loco:

Well I guess Im in the minority here but I like it. I like getting a young QB that has been in the NFL for a few years and now he has a chance to go get his own team. He has a veteran in front of him but with Hass's injury issues lately he could be in soon. Im not a big fan of taking a QB in the first rd, so now I hope we get RB/O line in the first. We (SEA/SD)switched 2nds this year ..big whoopie we have 2 first and got a 4th rd from Phi for Tapp so I like it :thumbup:

I've got Whitehurst on my dynasty radar for sure. I mean, he's got a 35 year old with chronic back issues ahead of him and he's making starter money. The tea leaves line up to him starting some games this season. If he's the next Kolb, Schaub, or even Hasselbach, his value is only going to rise.

Well I guess Im in the minority here but I like it. I like getting a young QB that has been in the NFL for a few years and now he has a chance to go get his own team. He has a veteran in front of him but with Hass's injury issues lately he could be in soon. Im not a big fan of taking a QB in the first rd, so now I hope we get RB/O line in the first. We (SEA/SD)switched 2nds this year ..big whoopie we have 2 first and got a 4th rd from Phi for Tapp so I like it :popcorn:
I'm right there with you on this!!I think something that is being very underrated is that Whitehurst was a 3rd round pick that got the opportunity to sit on the bench for 4 years and learn the NFL. It worked out pretty well for Phillip Rivers. Of course I'm not saying he is going to be Rivers but learning of NFL coaches and players.....geez I will take that over a rookie anyday.Not beating out Billy Volek is hardly a crime.....he would be one of the better back up QB's in the NFL, he has starting experience and has taken over for the Chargers at key moments and helped them win.....win playoff games.....so I think the Volek bashing is unfounded.I don't see the price as huge, the contract is pretty cheap compared to what rookies get handed these days so I think Seattle have done just fine....so have the Chargers......and Whitehurst has a better than even chance of being the starter in Seattle by 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread