What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who are your 2021 Shark Pool MVPs (Most Valuable Posters)? (1 Viewer)

ignatiusjreilly

Footballguy
I wanted to start a thread where we could all give attaboys to the people in this forum whose advice we found the most helpful throughout the season.

In one sense, the Shark Pool MVP is the Shark Pool itself; I constantly find I gain the greatest insights as a result of the discussions that take place between multiple posters. One person will make a good point, and then someone else will build on that, and so on.

So I suppose you could say that you're all winners. But in another, more accurate way ...

Two posters really stood out for me this year. During the pre-season leading up to the draft, @Hot Sauce Guywas everywhere, starting really interesting threads (I particularly loved the "Draft Day Regrets", which took place after my first draft but helped me hone my strategy for subsequent drafts) and offering some really sharp insights.

Once the season started, @Chakaemerged as a whirling dervish of fantasy advice. He recognized that the Assistant Coach forum was a wasteland and got Joe's OK to launch a weekly "Who Do I Start?" thread in the Shark Pool. Then he would seemingly respond to every single query posted there (while also encouraging the rest of us to be good citizens and pitch in after our own questions were answered). He even tracked the performance of his recommendations and posted his "stats" on a weekly basis.

So gents, a tip o' the cap to the both of you! Hope the fantasy gods rewarded you with multiple titles.

Who else ya got?

Totes me. 

Naw, I get so much out of everybody here it's not even funny. Y'all should give yourselves a big pat on the back. This place is really the reason I enjoy fantasy football as much as I do. If I wasn't able to shoot the breeze about the hobby here, I might not be long for it. 

I mean there's a list of All-Stars from the IDP ranks that I want to thank for getting me up to speed. From @Flying Elvisto @trader jaketo @Gallyto @MAC_32 to @JoeSteelerto @massraiderto @drewd_21 -- to all the dudes that contribute in that forum, as that list is certainly not exhaustive, my thanks go out. If I forgot anybody, it's simply oversight. 

Loved the @Chakaadvice this year. Always a season, always a reason. It's great he never just gave an answer, but explained briefly why he did. He and @Faust are the MVPs this year, IMHO. @Hot Sauce Guyknows his stuff, but I'll single him out for being down with it. To be in game threads during otherwise lousy prime time games and just be a good spirit that helps keep me going, too. There are a lot of guys on that front, but I figure HSG and I have seen probably the most in the way of games. 

@Ministry of Painfor the game threads. That's a labor of love, and unappreciated for all the effort it takes to start the threads and capture the lines and O/Us. 

To my brethren in the FFA that migrate over from time to time. @Capellaalways has great stuff to say and I think is on the cutting edge of football knowledge and decision-making.

So isn't the starter of this thread @ignatiusjreilly, whose comments on everything from politics to football are entirely well thought-out. I appreciate you, mang. 

Also want to shout out homies like @Andy Dufresne,@facook, and @Pip's Invitation, one of whom I respect an awful lot and am sad to see him sort of give up his Zealots teams (hey, more power to him) and the latter two, who are two music league homies who make every week even more worthwhile. Mad respect for you all. 

And lest my list be incomplete, the dynasty stalwarts like @barackdhouse @menobrown @joey @NE_REVIVAL@jabarony and all the dudes who play in the SP FFPC league (that is the league, right?) and who comment regularly in that thread. Anyone who contributes regularly in the dynasty value and trade threads deserves mention here.

Finally, to my brothers in the Jets thread. I won't shout you guys out because I don't want to be a bother, but everyone knows how I feel about them in there. Ride or die, folks. Ride or die. 

In closing, a big thank you to almost all of you who will come across this. You make my days better. I appreciate that. Thanks. 

-ra

@Hot Sauce Guyknows his stuff, but I'll single him out for being down with it. To be in game threads during otherwise lousy prime time games and just be a good spirit that helps keep me going, too. There are a lot of guys on that front, but I figure HSG and I have seen probably the most in the way of games. 

back atcha, bud.

typically I only get to see the later games due to my working Sunday mornings, but it’s far more entertaining shooting the breeze in there with all y’all.

Good bad or ugly game, those threads are super fun & provide the levity needed for bad beats in FF or gambling, & the insight from some folks to help understand a nuanced play or why a penalty is what it is or isn’t. 

And I’ll add that your name should absolutely be mentioned for being so generous with advice in the dynasty trade value thread & the in-season dynasty trades topic. Others in there include @Gally, @Dr. Octopus, @barackdhouse, @jabarony, @joey,  @NE_REVIVAL & so many others help add so much value to this forum.

While not everyone was on board with my total rebuild, everyone gave great advice on what value I should fetch from several of the players I was unsure of. That’s the kind of information exchange that makes this place heads & tails above the others. 

And you are absolutely in that group @rockaction  :wub:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to @rockaction and @Hot Sauce Guy for the kind words. I feel like I rarely post anything of substance and mostly just 1-liners, so it nice to hear that some of my actual takes are worthwhile. 

I’ll add some shout outs to @Zyphros @IHEARTFF @FreeBaGeL @Penguin @Marauders @bombjack As the other members of our new FBG SP FFPC dynasty league that just started this year (I think all others have been mentioned already). All great league mates and, especially, FBG message board members. Often posting in the dynasty thread, the FFPC thread, and many others. And some post their own rankings which I know that I personally get a LOT of value from. 

Also, scanning the Dynasty Value Discussion page, and I see multiple posts by @Deamon, @ffmail4me @Gally @jm192 @tangfoot @voiceofunreason @JohnnyU @TampaMike19@ghostguy123 @JoeJoe88 @wgoldsph @robb, just to name a few from the last couple of pages in that thread. There are so many others in there asking and responding and opining. It’s thread like that one where this community really shines and makes me come back multiple times a day to see if my favorite starred threads have replies or if new great topics come up. 

another thread in the FFA lamented board membership (or at least board visits) going down, and what I said there I’ll say here again: the posters who are here are still amazing and I get tons of info and laughs and comaraderie from this board that I’ll be an active member here til either I drop or the board ceases to exist. Love this place!

Bobby Layne for doing the lions share in the Lions thread.

Faust for his up to date updates.
I thought of @BobbyLayne as well, but I didn't want to be too parochial. I don't really hang out in other team threads; I bet they all have their own Bobbys. (Then again, how could there ever be another Bobby?)

Co-sign on @Faust. Dude is indefatigable with his links. It's easy to assume those links just magically appear in every thread, but of course someone has to make the effort of finding the info and posting it, and it's invariably him who does it.

I need a different boss that works me less so I can get on these "Best Posters" lists 🙂

Seriously, props to @Chaka for the WDIS thread and @Gally  for owning the Assistant Coach thread.......it should be renamed "WWGD"  What would Gally do?

Also props to @Hot Sauce Guy for starting great threads.

Final props to @Instinctive for absolutely nailing his projection of Cooper Kupp.  He really went out on a limb with Kupp's projection and I think Kupp even EXCEEDED it.

I thought of @BobbyLayne as well, but I didn't want to be too parochial. I don't really hang out in other team threads; I bet they all have their own Bobbys. (Then again, how could there ever be another Bobby?)
Thanks, this reminds me that there are a number of teams who have go to posters who are reliable. @Anarchy99 for the Pats, @Biabreakable for the Vikings, @Bri for Ttitans. We have great fan bases here at FBGs for some teams (Browns, Eagles, Packers, WFT, the Jersey teams.) But we have a whole swath of teams who are underrepresented with inactive team threads.

That might make a good thread - who are the reliable homers, and identify which teams have a bit of an information gap.

Like the other day someone mentioned being surprised Jim Harbough isn’t more supported by UofM alumni. I was like AYKM? He’s an eyelash away from being hung in effigy. Go Blue doesn’t care about CFB Playoffs. Two games you can’t lose - Sparty & tOSU. Lose those consistently and you won’t last.

See people think with the internet and information overload there’s no value in a homer take. I’d argue todays sports writing is generic clickbait. Most on air hot takes are worthless, it’s just faux entertainment. There are certain posters who I put a lot of weight on their opinion bc they’re a lot closer to the situation.

joey said:
Thanks to @rockaction and @Hot Sauce Guy for the kind words. I feel like I rarely post anything of substance and mostly just 1-liners, so it nice to hear that some of my actual takes are worthwhile. 

I’ll add some shout outs to @Zyphros @IHEARTFF @FreeBaGeL @Penguin @Marauders @bombjack As the other members of our new FBG SP FFPC dynasty league that just started this year (I think all others have been mentioned already). All great league mates and, especially, FBG message board members. Often posting in the dynasty thread, the FFPC thread, and many others. And some post their own rankings which I know that I personally get a LOT of value from. 

Also, scanning the Dynasty Value Discussion page, and I see multiple posts by @Deamon, @ffmail4me @Gally @jm192 @tangfoot @voiceofunreason @JohnnyU @TampaMike19@ghostguy123 @JoeJoe88 @wgoldsph @robb, just to name a few from the last couple of pages in that thread. There are so many others in there asking and responding and opining. It’s thread like that one where this community really shines and makes me come back multiple times a day to see if my favorite starred threads have replies or if new great topics come up. 

another thread in the FFA lamented board membership (or at least board visits) going down, and what I said there I’ll say here again: the posters who are here are still amazing and I get tons of info and laughs and comaraderie from this board that I’ll be an active member here til either I drop or the board ceases to exist. Love this place!
Thanks.  an honor to be mentioned

I need a different boss that works me less so I can get on these "Best Posters" lists 🙂

Seriously, props to @Chaka for the WDIS thread and @Gally  for owning the Assistant Coach thread.......it should be renamed "WWGD"  What would Gally do?

Also props to @Hot Sauce Guy for starting great threads.

Final props to @Instinctive for absolutely nailing his projection of Cooper Kupp.  He really went out on a limb with Kupp's projection and I think Kupp even EXCEEDED it.

Also need to add @travdogg for his ROS rankings, which gave great debate and another data point to use.  Thanks, I found them very useful.

Thanks, this reminds me that there are a number of teams who have go to posters who are reliable. @Anarchy99 for the Pats, @Biabreakable for the Vikings, @Bri for Ttitans. We have great fan bases here at FBGs for some teams (Browns, Eagles, Packers, WFT, the Jersey teams.) But we have a whole swath of teams who are underrepresented with inactive team threads.

That might make a good thread - who are the reliable homers, and identify which teams have a bit of an information gap.

Like the other day someone mentioned being surprised Jim Harbough isn’t more supported by UofM alumni. I was like AYKM? He’s an eyelash away from being hung in effigy. Go Blue doesn’t care about CFB Playoffs. Two games you can’t lose - Sparty & tOSU. Lose those consistently and you won’t last.

See people think with the internet and information overload there’s no value in a homer take. I’d argue todays sports writing is generic clickbait. Most on air hot takes are worthless, it’s just faux entertainment. There are certain posters who I put a lot of weight on their opinion bc they’re a lot closer to the situation.
Yeah, the Raiders thread is ripe with knowledgeable suckers, er, I mean, fans of the team. ;)  

the eternal optimist @Chadstroma (one stop shop for Raiders AND mortgage info ;)  ) as well as the other frequent passionate posters like @Chaka @ICON211 @kaso @DA RAIDERS @SDJohnny @ZADO @Atomic Punk (almost jinxed us! ;)  ) @Sarlakticacid @Hankmoody @Bruno2 @DocHolliday @Silver & Black…just to name a few of the main contributors in the last few days. For some reason, the Raiders thread was very active this past weekend ;)  

the team threads are great. I spend most of my time in the Raiders thread trying to find ways to STOP being a raiders fan…but they keep pulling me back in!

Yeah, the Raiders thread is ripe with knowledgeable suckers, er, I mean, fans of the team. ;)  

the eternal optimist @Chadstroma (one stop shop for Raiders AND mortgage info ;)  ) as well as the other frequent passionate posters like @Chaka @ICON211 @kaso @DA RAIDERS @SDJohnny @ZADO @Atomic Punk (almost jinxed us! ;)  ) @Sarlakticacid @Hankmoody @Bruno2 @DocHolliday @Silver & Black…just to name a few of the main contributors in the last few days. For some reason, the Raiders thread was very active this past weekend ;)  

the team threads are great. I spend most of my time in the Raiders thread trying to find ways to STOP being a raiders fan…but they keep pulling me back in!
Thank you but I object to being labeled an eternal optimist. More like a hopeful realist. Is that semantics? I don't think so... let me explain via stats and data in showing Carr is under appreciated as a QB.... 

I spend 90% or more of my time in the shark pool in the Raider thread. (Maybe I would have won my leagues rather than losing in playoffs if I spent more time outside of it)

So I echo the enjoyment of these posters Joey lists (adding himself to it though) but it makes me miss @Stompin' Tom Connors even more. The Raider thread is lesser because without him. 

great names already mentioned. shout to all the regulars in the Thursday and Monday night game threads, those are fun. Most of them are already mentioned too except one, looks like MoP is back, so adding @Ministry of Pain. also, @The Noid is quite underrated in how he got everyone to up their thread title game for the past few years through the Eagles thread. MoP and the Eagles, love 'em or hate 'em, the board is more fun because of 'em. :suds:

and +1 on Chaka's Faust on payroll comment above.

I have been around since the ol yeller day’s but as you can tell from my post numbers I don’t chime in much. I have a pretty strict rule not to post during work hours (no judgement to those that do) and by the time the evening roles around, I’m pretty beat and just don’t bother. Couple that with my very limited use of social media (dare I say hatred for it) and I have this instinct not to share my opinions.

Im starting to get away from both of those oddities, so you may see me chiming in a little more than usual these days.

As for the question at hand, @Faust, @travdogg, @Ministry of Pain@Hot Sauce Guyare all stand outs, as are all my Raider buddies in that thread.

Love this place and expect to never leave until @Joe Bryantturns out the lights. Wealth of knowledge and camaraderie.

Most have already been mentioned. Great work all of you. 

@BobbyLayne is most definitely the driving force in our Lions thread, keeping it ticking with interesting articles, stats and all kinds of stuff. I love the active team threads in the Shark Pool, I often go in and have a nosey at other team threads and glean interesting info from them, even if I don’t post. Thanks to everyone that contributes in those convos, they being the people that watch every minute that their team plays and being full of valuable insight 

Absolutely. I love that they exist, but I have zero desire to be a part of the ones that don't involve my team.

That said, I have occasionally dipped into team threads when I was looking for info on a specific player and wanted the homer perspective. 
We’ll, If you come into the raiders thread for homer advice, be prepared to be driven AWAY from starting any raiders players. We're a pretty negative bunch due to years of abuse the team has thrust upon us. Except @Chadstroma of course. His fantasy lineup looks like:

Carr

Jacobs, Drake

Renfrow, Zay Jones

Waller

Carlson

Raiders D

wait! 4 of those guys are actually startable every week!!! I must reassess my anti-Raider fantasy player bias. 

We’ll, If you come into the raiders thread for homer advice, be prepared to be driven AWAY from starting any raiders players. We're a pretty negative bunch due to years of abuse the team has thrust upon us. Except @Chadstroma of course. His fantasy lineup looks like:

Carr

Jacobs, Drake

Renfrow, Zay Jones

Waller

Carlson

Raiders D

wait! 4 of those guys are actually startable every week!!! I must reassess my anti-Raider fantasy player bias. 
You forgot Moreau when Waller was hurt. 

Users who are viewing this thread