What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who has a better chance at winning Coach of the Year? (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
Right now, the race for Coach of the Year is between two guys: Zac Taylor and Nick Sirianni.  When the season started, both the Bengals and the Eagles were expected to win just 3 games apiece.  Now, both teams are on the brink of making the playoffs with the Bengals having a chance to win the AFC North this week with a win against the Chiefs.  Which one has a better chance between the two of winning Coach of the Year, Zac Taylor or Nick Sirianni?

I dont think its down to 2 guys like you think it is. Of those two, I would say Taylor. 

I personally think one of these two win:

Belichick

LaFleur

Taylor has a better shot of those two, since Sirianni has gotten almost no buzz, but the Vegas odds don't show either as a top 3 candidate right now, so not sure how it's between just these two. 

Right now, the race for Coach of the Year is between two guys: Zac Taylor and Nick Sirianni.  When the season started, both the Bengals and the Eagles were expected to win just 3 games apiece.  Now, both teams are on the brink of making the playoffs with the Bengals having a chance to win the AFC North this week with a win against the Chiefs.  Which one has a better chance between the two of winning Coach of the Year, Zac Taylor or Nick Sirianni?
Man where do you come up with this stuff?

Vegas odds has Zac as 4th most likely to win it and Sirianni at 13th most likely to win it. 

And expected to win 3 games a piece?  O/U preseason for both teams was 6.5 wins. 

Are you just making this stuff up or trolling?

Of those 2, I'd say Taylor, but I'd be shocked if either came close to winning. 

Its Matt Lafluer's to lose in my opinion. Then again, I think Joe Burrow should be MVP, Trent Williams should be OPOY, and Aaron Donald should win DPOY, and none of those seem likely. 

Probably be Lafluer or Reich.

If I had a vote I’d give it to BB.
I like this call.

I think BB tanked last year and got his QB and just rebuilt. To be fair, he should win this every single year.

I don’t think Lafluer gets it because we all know A-Aron runs that show. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: J R
BB gotta be up there. When they released Cam there were many on this forum who thought the Pats were cooked and would be the bottom of the AFC East (I figured they'd squeak past the Jets but that'd be it).

I'd say Judon for DPOY too. That guy has been a big reason why the Pat's D, and team as a whole, have been successful this year IMO.

Belichick merits considering 

also, Vrabel doing it with mirrors without Henry

Harbaugh had a terrible terrible team in the hunt…maybe they make it?

Fish really turned it around…I like that coach

i am guessing Taylor gets the nod though

Belichick

Vrabel

Taylor

is the order I have them in.  To me coach of the year is should not just go to the coach with the best record, but to the coach who has done the most with his team.  No one expected the Patriots to do well this year.  No Henry and then no Brown at times for Vrabel.  Taylor becoming first coach to win 7 straight after losing 7 straight with a young team no less.

I doubt it’s either but of those two clearly Taylor. Not to throw shade on the Eagles but Sirianni‘s Eagles are 1 game above .500. 
i think cpach of the year should weigh in the pre-season win totals for each team. Eagles were predicted to win 6.5, so coach should get some credit with that

Those would both be terrible choices.

i think cpach of the year should weigh in the pre-season win totals for each team. Eagles were predicted to win 6.5, so coach should get some credit with that

Sirianni is probably part of the reason the # was 6.5.

This Titans fan would vote for 1. Reich, 2. Taylor, 3. Vrabel. 
BB probably deserves it too. 

Belichick

Vrabel

Taylor

is the order I have them in.  To me coach of the year is should not just go to the coach with the best record, but to the coach who has done the most with his team.  No one expected the Patriots to do well this year.  No Henry and then no Brown at times for Vrabel.  Taylor becoming first coach to win 7 straight after losing 7 straight with a young team no less.
Some of  us had the pats in the playoffs IF Mac was the starter. But not with Cam. That decision was BB’s second best of his career. 

I kinda like Sirianni. He’s a little odd but he’s passionate and despite waiting too long to lean on the run game I think he’s a good offensive mind. The beat Dallas shirt is great for the rivalry even if it didn’t work out for that game. 

With that said, we can’t take anything that was said in the preseason with any seriousness. These people also said that the Dallas defense would be one of the worst in the league. They said the Pats would stink. These dopes know less than us. 

It's almost always a coach of the playoff team that increased it's win total from pre-season predicted win total.  Eagles were 6.5 and should end at like 8 or 9.  2 wins over predicted total isn't going to cut it.  Cinci and GB will be BOTH end up 3-4 wins over preseason expectations

Fwiw, Reich lost my vote today. I’m fickle like that. 
Listen, this guy is a borderline lunatic when he has a few in him. Below is the post that he’s referring to, as you can see I even gave Reich’s career record. I thought that would be self explanatory. I thought the difference was a simple “good versus great” but he’s stated that  “Reich is a top 5 coach” and below is my response to that. I even went further and gave Ariana’s record (he said I’m a troll and one of just 1% who things he’s better than Reich) and I even gave McCarthy’s record and post season stats as well for comparison.  

In no particular order you have:

1. Belichick

2. Reid

3. Tomlin

4 Harbaugh

5. McDermott

6. Payton

7. Carroll

8. McVay

9. Arians

10. Laflaur

11. Vrabel

12. Shannahan 

He’s 37-26 with 1 playoff win in 2018. I think he’s a good coach but “generally a top 5 coach” is a little extreme. 

Listen, this guy is a borderline lunatic when he has a few in him. Below is the post that he’s referring to, as you can see I even gave Reich’s career record. I thought that would be self explanatory. I thought the difference was a simple “good versus great” but he’s stated that  “Reich is a top 5 coach” and below is my response to that. I even went further and gave Ariana’s record (he said I’m a troll and one of just 1% who things he’s better than Reich) and I even gave McCarthy’s record and post season stats as well for comparison.  
Got it. 
although It’s noteworthy how every coach except shannahan has had a very good QB which helps his reputation.  Maybe that’s chicken / egg, I’m not sure. But I give Reich some credit as Wentz isn’t on the same level as those guys (except the saints now)

Got it. 
although It’s noteworthy how every coach except shannahan has had a very good QB which helps his reputation.  Maybe that’s chicken / egg, I’m not sure. But I give Reich some credit as Wentz isn’t on the same level as those guys (except the saints now)
Not sure why he is calling me a lunatic when he made more posts about the subject than I did lol.  Nor did I have any drinks tonight.

I think Reich is a top 5 coach in the league... he sternly disagreed and says that Reich isn't even top 13 in the league.  Says Arians is a better coach than him. 

We are obviously talking about this year since we didn't discuss past great coaches.  @-OZ- do think think Reich is at least a top 5 coach in the league?  Top 10?

Not sure why he is calling me a lunatic when he made more posts about the subject than I did lol.  Nor did I have any drinks tonight.

I think Reich is a top 5 coach in the league... he sternly disagreed and says that Reich isn't even top 13 in the league.  Says Arians is a better coach than him. 

We are obviously talking about this year since we didn't discuss past great coaches.  @-OZ- do think think Reich is at least a top 5 coach in the league?  Top 10?
i think Reich is squarely in the tier 2 right now. I don’t try to rank them. He’s not BB or Reid but he’s right there with Vrabel, McDermott, and a few others who don’t have quite the longevity of the top tier but look like they’ll be winning for a long time and I would love to have them coach any team. 

just to clarify:

1.  HoF bound

2. Job secured, should produce Playoff teams most years

3. solid, no rush to replace

4. Unproven, might be on the hot seat but you’d expect them to get another chance

5. hot seat, unlikely to be rehired if they fail now. 

8. Urban Meyer 

i think Reich is squarely in the tier 2 right now. I don’t try to rank them. He’s not BB or Reid but he’s right there with Vrabel, McDermott, and a few others who don’t have quite the longevity of the top tier but look like they’ll be winning for a long time and I would love to have them coach any team. 
Ya I agree with that. Depends how big the tiers are I guess.  Not many coaches in the league I'd rather though except for maybe Bill and Reid and McVay.  Maybe McDermott

just to clarify:

1.  HoF bound

4. Unproven, might be on the hot seat but you’d expect them to get another chance

8. Urban Meyer 
I mean I'm only looking at this year so HOF bound isn't really relevant to that.  Although Bigboy changed his tune fast and said his list was now based on career.  Yet he put a 38-42 Shannahan over a 37-27 Reich for some reason when his only argument was career winning percentage.

just to clarify:

1.  HoF bound

8. Urban Meyer 
I like the tiers... would like to see you put all 32 coaches into them

Deamon said:

I'm a Colts guy and can tell you that Reich makes some questionable in-game decisions.  He abandons the run when he shouldn't and doesn't play action enough on first down to keep teams from stacking the box.  I also have questioned his 4th down decisions in the past.

I would go with Vrabel...got the #1 seed without his best player and the centerpiece of their offense for a good portion of the season...also, he is a Coach whose team seems to have his identity.

I'd say it's a toss-up between Vrabel and LeFleur.

Lefluer is like 39-10 since taking over in GB.  The Titans barely find ways to win, but it's ugly and I'm not so sure that's going to play into a Coach of the Year award.  Although you could also look at that from the other way and that they are winning despite it being ugly.  Not sure if that is good coaching, luck or both.

I'm a GB homer, so I say Lefleur.  :thumbup:

Nobody is voting Reich now. This collapse is the worst I recall right now. 

crazy thought, won’t get it, but Rich Bisaccia deserves an honorable mention. 

Vrabel gets my vote even with week 18 being ugly. 
Agreed all-around.

Taylor will probably get it since coaches on teams that win their division after not being expected to do well usually get a lot of love in this voting, but I would give it to Vrabel. 

I think Reich is a good coach, but defenders of him need to crawl into a hole and shut it for a while after yesterday's debacle. 

Tomlin should be a very strong candidate.  The Steelers have no business in the playoffs.
fishing?

Your last sentence is true, but they were usually predicted to win their division or make the WC before the season. They didn’t lose their key players, they just fell off a cliff. I actually think he’s a good coach but might be around #14 on a list of coach of the year candidates. 

Vraebel.  

Secured the 1 seed.  They were supposed to be a fringe playoff team.

Henry out for half the season.  Brown missed 4 games.  Julio missed 7.  

if you told me the Titans at full strength had an over under of 9.5, then where should They be without Henry for half the year and eleven games missed by their starting receivers?

fishing?

Your last sentence is true, but they were usually predicted to win their division or make the WC before the season. They didn’t lose their key players, they just fell off a cliff. I actually think he’s a good coach but might be around #14 on a list of coach of the year candidates. 
No they weren't.  Most had them 3rd or last in the division, with CLE and BAL making it from the North.

No they weren't.  Most had them 3rd or last in the division, with CLE and BAL making it from the North.
Their o/u for wins was 8.5.  They got 9.  Tomlin's a great coach.  But I don't think making the playoffs because they extended it to 7 teams means he's done some amazing job.  

We clearly followed different prognosticators. 
either way, they didn’t outperform nearly as much as some others, if at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread