What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is respected in the FF Community? (1 Viewer)

Some of the biggest names that influenced me:

Ian Allen, Fantasy Index Magazine - This turned me onto the game many years ago.

Jim Lenz, Fantasy Insights - This was the first fantasy football website I saw. Although it had some good stuff, I thought so much more was needed. It gave me the motivation to learn HTML and throw my name into the ring.

Bob Harris - It's hard to mention fantasy football without mentioning the contribution that Bob Harris made to this landscape. His dedication to news and quality writing is the gold standard that we all try to live up to many years later. He helped put mrfootball.com on the map and was a solid contributor for Footballguys.com for many years.

Joe Bryant, Owner Footballguys.com - I still remember the spirited debates he and I had on rec.sports.fantasyfootball regarding Value Based Drafting. Back in the day he was also the co-founder of FanEx. His vision regarding a daily email update, a free message board, free around the clock news continues to frame what has become Footballguys.com

Greg Kellogg, Terry Cannon and the rest of the FanEx crew - They brought us the premier experts league as well a great analysis draft that kicked off the season. Although I eventually wore out my welcome at FanEx, I have a lot of respect for Greg and TC.

Tony Holm - His Prognosticator column helped put mrfootball.com on the map. He continues to do good work with Fantasysharks.com

KFFL team of Ryan Bonini and William Del Pillar - They set the bar on fantasy news real high. For the longest time, Footballguys.com avoided the news as we knew it would take a huge commitment to be on par with what KFFL was doing.

Emil Kadlec - He gave me a chance to write for his many fantasy publications. He continues to lead in that category as well as co-owning the WCOFF.

Sam Kaplan - He helped secure a lot of dollars for me when I sold mrfootball.com to Fanball. This money allowed me to learn ColdFusion database programming and gave me the opportunity to partner with Joe Bryant.

Steve Waldron - Formerly of FFEndzone - Steve was a quality guy and a great writer. He was part of Footballguys.com for a bit until he had health problems. I was always a huge fan of his website FFEndzone

David Dorey and Whitney Walters, The Huddle - They were the first to have a huge message board while the rest of us looked on. They continue to be a popular website for many FF enthusiasts.

John Hansen, The Guru Report - I have huge respect for quality material. John puts together some of the best material on the web (not found at this site).

Doug Drinen - His ability to manipulate data (and write some of the best articles ever in FF) remains a driving force behind what we are trying to do at Footballguys.com. He is possibly the smartest person I have ever met in my life.

Mike Hall - MyFantasyLeague.com - Possibly the nicest person in the hobby. His dedication to creating a quality league management system goes un-noticed by many in the hobby.

Greg Alan - 4for4.com / FFTOC - Greg is a talented person and works very hard in this industry. His websites continue to explore new areas in this hobby.

Bruce Henderson - I remember the day he sent me a bunch of screen shots of a concept he had. After opening it, I was dumbfounded as to how cool this potential app could be. About a month later, he had a full version of the first Draft Dominator. I have never seen a better programmer in all my life. He has been able to take my cryptic notes and create works of art.

Bob Henry - I had huge respect for his work even before he joined our team. He and John Norton ran Redeye Sports (a niche site that was packed with quality material). I still smile when I got the phone call telling us he would like to merge Redeye Sports with Footballguys.com.

Our staff - It's hard to group all of these guys together. We have hand-picked virtually every one either from the boards, previous work submitted, people emailing us, etc. I love what our site has become because of all of these guys. I can't imagine trying to run Footballguys.com like I used to do mrfootball.com (where I did 80% of the work). I don't think any FF company in this business can compete head on with the people we have assembled here. Again maybe I am biased, but these people are the top names in the industry from where I sit.

The Boards - There is enough talent on the boards to run another 15 fantasy sites. Way too many people here to mention, but just look to the survivor contests, the deep threads on players and you will know who we are talking about. These people have contributed greatly to the hobby and provide a fresh perspective.

I am sure I am missing many people. I am an oldie in this industry and have seen it take many forms. I still can't believe I am able to do this for a living. It really is a dream come true.
You forgot Ken Maxwell.

Ian Allen, Fantasy Index Magazine - This turned me onto the game many years ago.

Jim Lenz, Fantasy Insights - This was the first fantasy football website I saw.  Although it had some good stuff, I thought so much more was needed.  It gave me the motivation to learn HTML and throw my name into the ring. 

Bob Harris - It's hard to mention fantasy football without mentioning the contribution that Bob Harris made to this landscape.  His dedication to news and quality writing is the gold standard that we all try to live up to many years later.  He helped put mrfootball.com on the map and was a solid contributor for Footballguys.com for many years.

Joe Bryant, Owner Footballguys.com - I still remember the spirited debates he and I had on rec.sports.fantasyfootball regarding Value Based Drafting.  Back in the day he was also the co-founder of FanEx.  His vision regarding a daily email update, a free message board, free around the clock news continues to frame what has become Footballguys.com

Greg Kellogg, Terry Cannon and the rest of the FanEx crew - They brought us the premier experts league as well a great analysis draft that kicked off the season.  Although I eventually wore out my welcome at FanEx, I have a lot of respect for Greg and TC.

Tony Holm - His Prognosticator column helped put mrfootball.com on the map.  He continues to do good work with Fantasysharks.com

KFFL team of Ryan Bonini and William Del Pillar - They set the bar on fantasy news real high.  For the longest time, Footballguys.com avoided the news as we knew it would take a huge commitment to be on par with what KFFL was doing.

Emil Kadlec - He gave me a chance to write for his many fantasy publications.  He continues to lead in that category as well as co-owning the WCOFF.

Sam Kaplan - He helped secure a lot of dollars for me when I sold mrfootball.com to Fanball.  This money allowed me to learn ColdFusion database programming and gave me the opportunity to partner with Joe Bryant.

Steve Waldron - Formerly of FFEndzone - Steve was a quality guy and a great writer.  He was part of Footballguys.com for a bit until he had health problems.  I was always a huge fan of his website FFEndzone

David Dorey and Whitney Walters, The Huddle - They were the first to have a huge message board while the rest of us looked on.  They continue to be a popular website for many FF enthusiasts. 

John Hansen, The Guru Report - I have huge respect for quality material.  John puts together some of the best material on the web (not found at this site).

Doug Drinen - His ability to manipulate data (and write some of the best articles ever in FF) remains a driving force behind what we are trying to do at Footballguys.com.  He is possibly the smartest person I have ever met in my life.

Mike Hall - MyFantasyLeague.com - Possibly the nicest person in the hobby.  His dedication to creating a quality league management system goes un-noticed by many in the hobby.

Greg Alan - 4for4.com / FFTOC - Greg is a talented person and works very hard in this industry.  His websites continue to explore new areas in this hobby.

Bruce Henderson - I remember the day he sent me a bunch of screen shots of a concept he had.  After opening it, I was dumbfounded as to how cool this potential app could be.  About a month later, he had a full version of the first Draft Dominator.  I have never seen a better programmer in all my life.  He has been able to take my cryptic notes and create works of art.

Bob Henry - I had huge respect for his work even before he joined our team.  He and John Norton ran Redeye Sports (a niche site that was packed with quality material).  I still smile when I got the phone call telling us he would like to merge Redeye Sports with Footballguys.com.

Our staff - It's hard to group all of these guys together.  We have hand-picked virtually every one either from the boards, previous work submitted, people emailing us, etc.  I love what our site has become because of all of these guys.  I can't imagine trying to run Footballguys.com like I used to do mrfootball.com (where I did 80% of the work).  I don't think any FF company in this business can compete head on with the people we have assembled here.  Again maybe I am biased, but these people are the top names in the industry from where I sit.

The Boards - There is enough talent on the boards to run another 15 fantasy sites.  Way too many people here to mention, but just look to the survivor contests, the deep threads on players and you will know who we are talking about.  These people have contributed greatly to the hobby and provide a fresh perspective.

I am sure I am missing many people.  I am an oldie in this industry and have seen it take many forms.  I still can't believe I am able to do this for a living.  It really is a dream come true.
You forgot Ken Maxwell.
:ptts:

Jim Lenz, Fantasy Insights - This was the first fantasy football website I saw.  Although it had some good stuff, I thought so much more was needed.  It gave me the motivation to learn HTML and throw my name into the ring. 

Bob Harris - It's hard to mention fantasy football without mentioning the contribution that Bob Harris made to this landscape.  His dedication to news and quality writing is the gold standard that we all try to live up to many years later.  He helped put mrfootball.com on the map and was a solid contributor for Footballguys.com for many years.

Joe Bryant, Owner Footballguys.com - I still remember the spirited debates he and I had on rec.sports.fantasyfootball regarding Value Based Drafting.  Back in the day he was also the co-founder of FanEx.  His vision regarding a daily email update, a free message board, free around the clock news continues to frame what has become Footballguys.com

Greg Kellogg, Terry Cannon and the rest of the FanEx crew - They brought us the premier experts league as well a great analysis draft that kicked off the season.  Although I eventually wore out my welcome at FanEx, I have a lot of respect for Greg and TC.

Tony Holm - His Prognosticator column helped put mrfootball.com on the map.  He continues to do good work with Fantasysharks.com

KFFL team of Ryan Bonini and William Del Pillar - They set the bar on fantasy news real high.  For the longest time, Footballguys.com avoided the news as we knew it would take a huge commitment to be on par with what KFFL was doing.

Emil Kadlec - He gave me a chance to write for his many fantasy publications.  He continues to lead in that category as well as co-owning the WCOFF.

Sam Kaplan - He helped secure a lot of dollars for me when I sold mrfootball.com to Fanball.  This money allowed me to learn ColdFusion database programming and gave me the opportunity to partner with Joe Bryant.

Steve Waldron - Formerly of FFEndzone - Steve was a quality guy and a great writer.  He was part of Footballguys.com for a bit until he had health problems.  I was always a huge fan of his website FFEndzone

David Dorey and Whitney Walters, The Huddle - They were the first to have a huge message board while the rest of us looked on.  They continue to be a popular website for many FF enthusiasts. 

John Hansen, The Guru Report - I have huge respect for quality material.  John puts together some of the best material on the web (not found at this site).

Doug Drinen - His ability to manipulate data (and write some of the best articles ever in FF) remains a driving force behind what we are trying to do at Footballguys.com.  He is possibly the smartest person I have ever met in my life.

Mike Hall - MyFantasyLeague.com - Possibly the nicest person in the hobby.  His dedication to creating a quality league management system goes un-noticed by many in the hobby.

Greg Alan - 4for4.com / FFTOC - Greg is a talented person and works very hard in this industry.  His websites continue to explore new areas in this hobby.

Bruce Henderson - I remember the day he sent me a bunch of screen shots of a concept he had.  After opening it, I was dumbfounded as to how cool this potential app could be.  About a month later, he had a full version of the first Draft Dominator.  I have never seen a better programmer in all my life.  He has been able to take my cryptic notes and create works of art.

Bob Henry - I had huge respect for his work even before he joined our team.  He and John Norton ran Redeye Sports (a niche site that was packed with quality material).  I still smile when I got the phone call telling us he would like to merge Redeye Sports with Footballguys.com.

Our staff - It's hard to group all of these guys together.  We have hand-picked virtually every one either from the boards, previous work submitted, people emailing us, etc.  I love what our site has become because of all of these guys.  I can't imagine trying to run Footballguys.com like I used to do mrfootball.com (where I did 80% of the work).  I don't think any FF company in this business can compete head on with the people we have assembled here.  Again maybe I am biased, but these people are the top names in the industry from where I sit.

The Boards - There is enough talent on the boards to run another 15 fantasy sites.  Way too many people here to mention, but just look to the survivor contests, the deep threads on players and you will know who we are talking about.  These people have contributed greatly to the hobby and provide a fresh perspective.

I am sure I am missing many people.  I am an oldie in this industry and have seen it take many forms.  I still can't believe I am able to do this for a living.  It really is a dream come true.
You forgot Ken Maxwell.
Ken is #1 in my book. :thumbup:

You forgot Ken Maxwell.
:thumbup:
:bye:

Wheelhouse is the man.
:goodposting: Dodds is weak. Mathematically,he can prove an elephant can dangle off a cliff holding onto nothing more than a daisy with its trunk, but exactly how does that affect fantasy football?!? too much mumbo-jumbo from this guy, not enough 'feel' for the game. Del Pillar excels. David M Dorey, Walters,Bob Henry, Ian Allan, Holm, Lenz are the top dogs, IMO. Great information from all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread... there's so many names to mention. Here's a few:AT FBGs, I like reading the work/opinions/posts of Jason Wood, Marc Levin and Maurile Tremblay... the DD is invaluable thanks to Bruce Henderson... I think Bob Henry's columns are among the most underrated items here.... and David Yudkin and Doug Drinen's abilities to break down a question/trend statistically are pehnomenal. Wheelhouse's posts are always informative and entertaining at the same time.Outside of FBGs, and already mentioned, is the work of John Hansen and the Caplan brothers. Tony Holm is also tremendously enjoyable to read.I did come up with a name I haven't seen mentioned in four pages yet. I know this guy has taken some shots in the past, but the more I read of KC Joyner the more I like his stuff.
Actually Adam is Sam's uncle not brother. A common mistake. But they are both great guys. If you guys ever get a chance to attend WCOFF I highly recommend it. It gives you a chance to meet some great FFL folks. I met the guys from FanEx there, Wade and Shawn and a lot others. We used to have an annual FFL Convention (had one in Vegas and one in Minny) where I got to meet a lot of great people too.I can't believe I left Mike Hall off my list. He IS a great guy and I really enjoyed the dinner I shared with him a couple years ago in Wisconsin. And I am still a huge fan of HIS program (FFLM) though I have shifted everything to his acquired program (MFL).

Radballs, SSOG, CarterCan Fly, Fatness, MassRaider, Zadok, Bri, Lions327, Banger

Also, Jayman is new but his posts are great.

ETA: Chase Stuart is the man.

Last edited by a moderator:
We will be (FFToday), thanks for asking. I know the forums have been down for a while, but they will eventually be back up. We've been taking a little break (to put it nicely). I appreciate the hospitality of the moderators here and I don't want to go into great lengths to advertise what we'll be doing in the future to be respectful of FBGs, but we aren't finished by any stretch of the imagination. We'll be doing a lot more in very near future. The forums will eventually be back up. The Mikes and I will be meeting in a couple of weeks to hammer out more ideas, and in a few weeks you'll see more of what's in store for the site, too. Moonlight, thanks for plug. I have to credit guys like Drinen, and when I first started using the Internet for FF. It has been a lot of fun to get a chance to compete with Dodds in a few leagues, too.
My two cents, The Football guys are great for the Stats, but the articles face offs and so forth are not my thing, I dont do VBD. The Greatest contribution to the Fantasy Football community FBG's make is the meticulous stats, target data etc, for that I commend Bloom and everyone else at FBGuys. That said, when I really need solid advise for Dynasy Leagues the Dudes over at FFToday are the best in the busness for Rookie Draft information. You want good stuff I recomend all of you INCLUDING the FBG's staff pick up a copy of the Rookie Draft Guide. Sorry fantasy football dudes you dont even come close in that department.

I can't believe I left Mike Hall off my list. He IS a great guy and I really enjoyed the dinner I shared with him a couple years ago in Wisconsin. And I am still a huge fan of HIS program (FFLM) though I have shifted everything to his acquired program (MFL).
Agree 100% on all counts. When I first got into FF back in mid/late 90s, we started w/FFLM and loved it - in fact, only moved away from it in last few years due to ease of MFL (for ex I am very glad I as commish no longer have enter people's lineups). I even had a recent question that I insisted be given low priority because it was about something regarding last year vs this and they still handled it quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread