What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the most famous person with whom you have had a beer? (2 Viewers)

oh- just noticed who started the thread and remembered a moment from HS- was with soccer team in germany training at the same facility as the Cameroon national soccer team who was there preparing for the Africa Cup of Nations (this year's version coincidentally just wrapped this last weekened with Cameroon winning).

the facility was for a german pro team and was out of the way- nothing to do but eat, sleep and train. they also had a bar there, where a gb and I would sneak in (I think we were legal at 17 or 18 for beer). ended up having beer and lengthy discussion one night with Roger Milla- Cameroon's Michael Jordan of soccer- was a big international star at that point... other than the US of course. talked mostly about US v Russia arms race, with me doing my best to translate in limited HS french.

our team got to play that cameroon team a couple days later- got destroyed, something like 7-0(and not even that close)... at one point I hit one of the best shots of my life- driven, dipping and curling into the upper corner. the goalie was a guy named N'kono (also internationally known at that point) who had been standing with arms crossed at about the PK spot (12 yards from goal) when I took the shot... I thought for sure I had just scored against Cameroon, but he uncrossed his arms, took one giant backwards leap onto one foot and then sprung up and back, finger-tipping the ball just over the bar. best save I've ever seen.

Emerson Biggens said:
Stevie Ray is a blues  guitar God that died way too early and MJW is Theo from the Cosby show. 

Neither is a household name though 
Only if you household is full of Millennials or those oblivious to the world around them. But, I repeat myself.

loaded, hopped up, or loaded with loot?
i was pretty drunk. they did a live version of "Win Ben Stein's Money" for the ad agencies. i answered one of the questions correctly and he was supposed to give money from his wallet. later, i was walking up the stairs and there he was! i was like "Stein! give me my money!!" in a faux angry drunk voice. his agent or handler was with him and tried to dissuade me. Stein eventually owned up and we chatted as he signed the $20 bill. it was fun to heckle him like that.

Robert Downey jr in San Francisco in 1987. 

Also smoked weed with Soundgarden backstage in the early 90's.

I didn't have a beer with him, but my buddy and I ran into Edmund Kemper when we were kids. This was just before he got caught for a string of gruesome co-ed murders. He lived in an apartment building that we visited frequently because the tenants left empty returnable soda bottles in an area in the garage. We were leaving the garage with armfuls of bottles when we ran right into Kemper. Of course we didn't know who he was until we saw his picture on TV and in the newspapers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slug from Atmosphere

but that was more me sitting alongside my buddy at a bar while they talked and me nodding in agreement periodically

Cris Collinsworth lives in our neighborhood. Very humble, down-to-earth dude. His wife and mine do celebrity stuff together.

Spent 3 hours in a car with Merrill Hoge, the day before the 2009 NFL draft. Was grilling him about who the Bengals might draft (Andre Smith). He's a bit of a jerk, but he knows his football and wasn't shy about voicing his opinions ("Eugune Monroe is a p*ssy").

Watched some March Madness in the Boston airport with Doug Flutie. He had just been traded to San Diego and was on his way out there.  My wife is bigger than he is.

Most bizarre one was the night before the Indy 500 in 1978 or so.  A buddy and I were camping out in his custom van in the parking lot when a huge downpour erupted.  Somebody started knocking on the van and we let two guys get out of the deluge.  He introduced himself as Conrad Dobler. I (hesitantly) called BS on that and he showed me his driver's license.  The four of us ended up pounding beers and playing cards until dawn.

A buddy and I were camping out in his custom van in the parking lot when a huge downpour erupted.  Somebody started knocking on the van and we let two guys get out of the deluge.  He introduced himself as Conrad Dobler. I (hesitantly) called BS on that and he showed me his driver's license.  The four of us ended up pounding beers and playing cards until dawn.
had you said that Conrad Dobler came in and crashed out on your couch, i would have called bs.  

of course Conrad Dobler smashed beers until dawn. he's Conrad ####### Dobler.

Frank Gore paid bought me a beer in New Orleans before a 9ers/Saints game.  My then GF and I somehow ended up in the same hotel the 9ers were staying at, I went to grab a beer and after ordering it I noticed Frank sitting there eating some nachos. Said hey, asked if he would sign my hat, and talked to him quickly. When the bartendeder brought my tab, he told him to put it on his.  Not sure if that counts, cause he only drank water.

One of my good high school friends pitched at Vandy with David Price, so I got to hang out with him a few times when I'd go to Vandy's campus.

My roommate briefly dated Courtney Love circa 1983-84.  I chatted with them at the kitchen table while they smoked heroin.  

ETA:  there probably was beer involved as well 

Hmmm.  I had a beer while talking to Archie Manning for about 5-10 minutes.  He was drinking something that definitely wasn't beer and may not have been alcoholic.  In college I met Sean Payton and I was drinking a beer and so was he, but I am not sure that's really having a beer with him.  He watched me play a video game for a few minutes. I had cases and cases of beer with Dennis Maruk. 

Not really famous but Bills fans might remember defensive lineman Scott Hutchinson. He was the "celebrity" guest on a cruise I went on in the early 90s. My brothers and I ran into him and his (hot) wife on night one and started talking to him about his NFL career. He and his wife took a liking to us and we ended up hanging out all night, and then for basically the entire week. We drank about 100 beers together, smoked weed all over the ship, he taught us pass rush moves/counters, we even played several downs of football in the main lobby of the ship using a shoe as the ball until security put a stop to it . Just an awesome dude. 

Fat Nick said:
Dan Rooney Jr. - Several times when we visit Pittsburgh.
Oh, and Rusty Wallace of NASCAR fame.  He was in the Verizon box at a race in Richmond back when I owned some stores.  This was back in ~2005 or so, shortly after he retired.  Pretty cool guy. 

El Floppo said:
WB's post made me remember that Matt Dillon on three separate occasions tried to steal my date (out at clubs, each time)... just swooped in with a "hi" and started talking to them, ignoring me, before asking if they wanted to head out somewhere else. had numerous insider friends insist he was gay... but sure didn't come across that way.
Ha! Reminds me of a time Dave Matthews was trying to mack on my HS gf. Funny dude. Hung out for about 30 mins after a show in the early/mid 90s. Didn't have a beer though so doesn't really count. 

My roommate briefly dated Courtney Love circa 1983-84.  I chatted with them at the kitchen table while they smoked heroin.  

ETA:  there probably was beer involved as well 
My sister spent a few hours with her prior to the Golden Globes or Oscars (forget which) many moons ago.  My sister at the time was just a hairstylist assistant so she was kinda just standing around (at Love's hotel in Hollywood) while her boss was styling Love's ratty hair.  Love looks at her and says "hey you, you're about the same size as me... go in my room and start modeling some of the dresses I'm supposed to wear".   So she got to try on and show her all these wicked expensive designer dresses. :lol:

And speaking of musicians, I was on "head nod" terms with Jack Johnson at college. :shrug:   Never drank a beer with him but had plenty of them while listening to his band play house parties.

rod stewart.

he is the produce manager at hole foods at my town and everyone knows him good becase he grrw up here. he even is the celebraty bartender at the vfw for charity night for a benefit for my gramdaughter sun chips when she broke her ankle playing softball

Patrick Roy.  The day after he beat the Wings in OT.  His son and my cousin played on the same travel team and one of the arenas they played at had abar overlooking the rinks... it was great.

In the early 2000s a co-worker of mine was a Michigan grad who had been roommates with a bunch of their hockey players in college, including Brendan Morrison.  When the Canucks came to town he invited me to come with to the game and we went out to dinner with basically the whole team, including Tood Bertuzzi, who later that season would try to kill a man with his hockey stick.  As the night wound down one of my buddies other former Michigan friends who is slightly mentally disabled kept calling him bugging him asking to talk to Bertuzzi, who was not at all interested.  So I said give me the phone and pretended to be Todd Bertuzzi talking to a mentally handicapped man from Michigan.  He seemed happy.

In the early 2000s a co-worker of mine was a Michigan grad who had been roommates with a bunch of their hockey players in college, including Brendan Morrison.  When the Canucks came to town he invited me to come with to the game and we went out to dinner with basically the whole team, including Tood Bertuzzi, who later that season would try to kill a man with his hockey stick.  As the night wound down one of my buddies other former Michigan friends who is slightly mentally disabled kept calling him bugging him asking to talk to Bertuzzi, who was not at all interested.  So I said give me the phone and pretended to be Todd Bertuzzi talking to a mentally handicapped man from Michigan.  He seemed happy.
Can somebody be the "most famous" if they're aren't famous at all?

I met William Styron - he wrote Sophie's Choice, most famously - at the buffet line at my university. He was giving a speech and a reading. He and I made small talk until I realized it him. I kind of froze up after that. 

Ha! Reminds me of a time Dave Matthews was trying to mack on my HS gf. Funny dude. Hung out for about 30 mins after a show in the early/mid 90s. Didn't have a beer though so doesn't really count. 
Joe Mauer tried to pick up an ex-girlfriend at a bar in downtown St. Paul... while I was right there. We both probably had beers.  But they certainly weren't "with" each other. 

I met William Styron - he wrote Sophie's Choice, most famously - at the buffet line at my university. He was giving a speech and a reading. He and I made small talk until I realized it him. I kind of froze up after that. 
wOw. right with vonnegut & heller as late 20th novelist and his book on depression changed my life.  i'd be speechless, too.

I fly a lot have been on planes with: Joe Montana (he was in coach), Jeremy Lin (he was in coach and had cornrows), Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard (her husband) he sat in 1st Class and sent her back to coach :lol: , Bill Bradley and Cristy Turlington (same flight) Duff McKeagan (sat behind him and he talked to the stranger next to him for probably 2 hours), and Eddie Veder (little guy who traveled with his own pillow).

Shane Churla and Craig Ludwig (Dallas Stars) at a strip club in Arlington years ago.

Victoria Silvstedt back in the 90s.

Charles Haley around the same time.

Karl Rove on Saturday night.

Not a bar but I sat next to Jeff Sessions a couple years ago on a plane out of DC.  Had a nice 1/2 hour conversation with him.

ETA:  Also been in a crown room/on a plane with Evander Holyfield, Pete Rose, Alice Cooper.  Sat at the table next to Herschel Walker a couple weeks back in Cocoa Beach.  (Herschel is in great shape and is bigger than Evander).

Darius Rucker  of Hootie and the Blowfish. Played a bunch of blackjack with him fist bumping and commiserating at the Hard Rock in Vegas before I even realized who he was. 

TheAristocrat said:
The Red Hot Chili Peppers a couple of times.

Tim Pawlenty (is he famous?)

Craig Finn and Franz Nicolay of The Hold Steady twice.

My favorite story: I had recently moved to Denver and a friend of mine and I went to see a Wild-Avs game.  The Wild lost pretty badly and we went to the sports bar near the Pepsi Center for a beer but quickly wanted to get out of there since it was just jam packed with happy Avs fans.  We went downtown and found LoDos for a rooftop beer.  We had been sitting at the bar for a little while and she was still up in arms about the Wild's play.  We didn't even notice the guy sitting next to her.  He turns and says something like "So, you two are Wild fans huh?"  She explains that we were both from Minnesota and he pipes up with "Surprised you don't recognize me."

"Why would I?" She snapped back.

"I'm Wes Walz."

She didn't miss a beat but I could tell she was a little embarrassed. "You played like #### tonight.  What's your excuse?"

He paid for our beers and we had a great hour or so of conversation.  Really nice guy.  
Use to live down the street from Pawlenty in Eagan. 

Darius Rucker  of Hootie and the Blowfish. Played a bunch of blackjack with him fist bumping and commiserating at the Hard Rock in Vegas before I even realized who he was. 
That's awesome - he played the best rendition of the Star Spangled Banner I've ever heard.  Wish that was out there somewhere.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Max McGee

Elroy, Crazy Legs Hirsch  (He use to buy for everyone after a Badger win, I just happened to be directly next to him.)

Bob Dylan

Hulk Hogan 

Catherine Zeta Jones  (This one is a technicality)
I'd like to hear more about the Zeta Jones encounter, technicality or not.

Criss Angel-  was at an Affliction party in Vegas at one of the Playboy suites at the Palms.   I fabricated a piece of jewelry for Criss so we hung out for a while. He was far less dooshy than I thought he would be. 

I've also spent some time with Roy Emerson--although there was no beer involved.  

Had breakfast with Bill Russell when my dad hired him for a basketball camp in MN.

Jordan Spieth and Mack Brown in Austin.

Lou Brock, Ozzie Smith and Rollie Fingers at Pro-Am golf tournament in San Antonio.

Prince Joachim of Denmark.

Although technically it was more drinks than beer

Eta: The entire band Franz Ferdinand was sitting one table over one night out in Rio in 2014, listening to local kids playing cover songs (mostly) on open mike night in a small place just off Copacabana Beach.

Gave Win Butler a PBJ sandwich as we all hung out near my car after a small show in Brooklyn.  Will was there also.  Nice guys. 

Lamar Odom was always at my house with Mary Jane in college.  I'm not sure he ever drank a beer.  

I used to shoot around and rebound often for Cuttino Mobley in college.  Not sure if he is famous but he played in the NBA.   Not sure if he ever drank.

My buddy has the ball from Tom Brady's first NFL TD pass in a safety deposit box.  We have discussed (joked?) that Brady will have to come out drinking with us (among other things) if he ever wants to see it again.  

Users who are viewing this thread