What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are President Trump's Tax Returns Important? (2 Viewers)

You think it unreasonable that Democrats respond when trump breaks laws, customs, and obfuscates? Victim blame much?
If You don't mind, I would appreciate if you don't tell me how I think!  Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We ask members of Congress and the executive branch to give us financial disclosures to guard against government officials allowing personal interest to affect their decisions on what's best for the public.

Presidential tax returns are the same, with the added factors of the president being the head of the branch of government that houses the IRS and also he signs legislation that amends the tax code. The American people have a right to know if their elected officials are acting in self-interest. I think Congress should also have to publish their returns any time they amend the code.

It's really as simple as that.

It might not change many votes, but in a close election it could make a difference. There no way it helps Trump.

You seem to be fine making your generalizations about what may or may not influence voters. Isn't that your whole point of this thread?

It wouldn't have taken many voters to be influenced and he doesn't win. He won 3 states by what 75k votes.
Not sure what I generalized.....I just dont know if it is worth it for the democrats to pursue this course that's all.  

And I think, my opinion, that pursuing silly things like this that don't lead anywhere, or wont lead anywhere, they can flip voters away from them.   

Becasue he's been money laundering since the late 80's and there will be useful bread crumbs in there. 
this. America has the President it deserves so i don't really care except to have incontrovertible evidence that Trump cares about nothing but his brand and will sell us down the river for any crumb he can gather. proof will minimize the havoc the country will allow him to wreak.

I gotta think this is the crux..and I wonder if the amount of energy being put into this will get the results?   Aren't there other ways to damage him and not use the time?  

Hey I understand I don't get to choose.  They are the folks running things.....But again, I think it makes the democrats look like babies.  It's a battle brewing.

As an independent voter what annoys you more?   Trumps activities or the Democrats acting like someone took their ball away?
I don't get the "time" issue.  There are 235 Democrats in the House and it's not like they are busy compromising with Republicans to get legislation passed. They got to do something other than fund raise.

It is a question of oversight which is the job of the Congress. Starting with the Emoluments clause there is plenty of reason to see the President's taxes. 

So then maybe they can do both.
They can do both.....but there is limited time. Would you rather they do something OTHER than chase his tax returns?  I mean if that's what you want and it's that important to you...great.  I don't know why..Cause I see zero benefit to it whatsoever.  Zero..Nada Zilch.

But if the chase is important..then chase I guess

You think it unreasonable that Democrats respond when trump breaks laws, customs, and obfuscates? Victim blame much?

If You don't mind, I would appreciate if you don't tell me how I think!  Thanks in advance!!!

Not sure what I generalized.....I just dont know if it is worth it for the democrats to pursue this course that's all.  

And I think, my opinion, that pursuing silly things like this that don't lead anywhere, or wont lead anywhere, they can flip voters away from them.   
Your statement above is exactly what I attributed to you.

They can do both.....but there is limited time. Would you rather they do something OTHER than chase his tax returns?  I mean if that's what you want and it's that important to you...great.  I don't know why..Cause I see zero benefit to it whatsoever.  Zero..Nada Zilch.

But if the chase is important..then chase I guess
I want them to pursue there full role which includes oversight of the executive branch.  This is part of that. 

They are investigating fraud and the value of his assets may differ from what he reported to banks and insurance companies. 

They are investigating emoluments, and may be interested in a sudden increase in revenue from hotels and golf courses. 

They are investigating his business dealings internationally and he may have answered questions under oath about the amount of business he's done in certain countries or with certain practices.  

There's a number of reasons why they would need this information to confirm his innocence, and that would set all of our minds at ease. 

ENOUGH FOR WHAT??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
For someone who might consider voting for him to choose to vote for the other candidate, or not at all. 

Getting a hold of his tax returns has taken on a whole new urgency....ever since the Mueller Investigation (Plan B) produced nothing but an air biscuit.

There just must be something out there what will overturn the 2016 election or at least stop him from reelection in 2020....anything.  God knows that our platform wont' do it.

...and if we can't find it....we'll make it up...and if we can't make it up...we'll just keep coming up with new plans.

BTW...why didn't Obama release his college transcripts?  There must be a reason.  I just didn't hear anyone here demanding to see them.

I've mentioned how I feel polls are essentially worthless.   Wait, not essentially, they are completely worthless.
And what exactly do you base that on? Please dont say 2016 because the polls had Hillary within the margin of error and she did actually win more votes.

Getting a hold of his tax returns has taken on a whole new urgency....ever since the Mueller Investigation (Plan B) produced nothing but an air biscuit.

There just must be something out there what will overturn the 2016 election or at least stop him from reelection in 2020....anything.  God knows that our platform wont' do it.

...and if we can't find it....we'll make it up...and if we can't make it up...we'll just keep coming up with new plans.

BTW...why didn't Obama release his college transcripts?  There must be a reason.
Why won't Trump release his transcripts must be a reason.

And then what?  

Please...guys..... I get all the reasons why this might make Trump look bad.  I understand everyone.  Look beyond your faces...What will that lead to?  What happens next?   
Then we go from there.  Maybe nothing happens.  Maybe it leads to something else.  Who knows until it's done.  The fact that he said he would is enough to do it regardless of what happens.

BTW...why didn't Obama release his college transcripts?  There must be a reason.
What reason would that be?

Could you imagine if Obama refused to provide his birth certificate and proposed legislation that allowed people born in Kenya to be President?

And what exactly do you base that on? Please dont say 2016 because the polls had Hillary within the margin of error and she did actually win more votes.
Because generally speaking unless I can know exactly the questions asked, and the people who were asked, I thin polls are complete BS.

For instance.  

If you poll 100 people and ask them if they want to stop climate change.   95 or more would probably say yes.

If you ask them if they want to stop climate change and to do that, they need to write a check for $1000 a month, that number will drop significantly.

And usually it gets reported out as  "95% of people want to stop climate change"

Polls are completely useless in my opinion.

I've seen this argument made elsewhere about various oversight actions- seeking his taxes, digging into the security clearance issues, holding hearings on other national security concerns, etc.

It's absurd. This stuff is happening because the Democratic majority was sworn in just three months ago, not because of the Barr letter. If we'd elected Dems in 2016, or if the Republican majority had been more interested in oversight than protecting the president it would have happened in earlier.  In fact there's a pretty good argument that the Dems won the House in 2018 because the public wanted this stuff done and the GOP wasn't doing it.

This seems fairly obvious and it seems kind of ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

I've seen this argument made elsewhere about various oversight actions- seeking his taxes, digging into the security clearance issues, holding hearings on other national security concerns, etc.

It's absurd. This stuff is happening because the Democratic majority was sworn in just three months ago, not because of the Barr letter. If we'd elected Dems in 2016, or if the Republican majority had been more interested in oversight than protecting the president it would have happened in earlier.  In fact there's a pretty good argument that the Dems won the House in 2018 because the public wanted this stuff done and the GOP wasn't doing it.

This seems fairly obvious and it seems kind of ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
No, it’s not ridiculous. It’s happening. 

Your attempt to draw a parallel is enlightening, and it doesn't do your side any favors.

1. conservatives attempted to use Obama's transcripts as a political issue in 2008 and 2012. If you approved of the tactic then, then you should approve of it now.

2. Trump himself has refused to release his college (and high school) transcripts.

3. the law specifically allowed Congress to see tax returns. No such law exists regarding college transcripts.

4. Obama's colleges are not a branch of the U.S. government. The reason Congress wants to see Trump's tax returns is because part of their job is to provide oversight over the executive branch.

It might not change many votes, but in a close election it could make a difference. There no way it helps Trump.
I think the Mueller snafu, to this point, has helped him.   Could change depending on what was or was not reported, but what if his tax returns show zippo?  This will make him look like a hero....

Because generally speaking unless I can know exactly the questions asked, and the people who were asked, I thin polls are complete BS.

For instance.  

If you poll 100 people and ask them if they want to stop climate change.   95 or more would probably say yes.

If you ask them if they want to stop climate change and to do that, they need to write a check for $1000 a month, that number will drop significantly.

And usually it gets reported out as  "95% of people want to stop climate change"

"Do you think President Trump should publicly release his taxes?"

Pretty straight forward question.

Could you imagine if Obama refused to provide his birth certificate and proposed legislation that allowed people born in Kenya to be President?
Imagine if there was a law which allowed Congress to see the President's birth certificate, but Obama's lawyer gleefully proclaimed that Congress would never see it.

For instance.  

Without polls we wouldn't have the game show Family Feud.  Kind of a big deal.

For instance.  

I assume you'd also want them to let those being polled know they are already paying for climate change. That the US has spent nearly 400 billion in the last ten years due to climate change. And that climate change is expected to cost the US about 2 trillion a year in lost GDP in the near future. Then maybe the idea of an upfront investment makes better sense than a last ditch more costly effort.

I assume you'd also want them to let those being polled know they are already paying for climate change. That the US has spent nearly 400 billion in the last ten years due to climate change. And that climate change is expected to cost the US about 2 trillion a year in lost GDP in the near future. Then maybe the idea of an upfront investment makes better sense than a last ditch more costly effort.
Dude.....First of all, I would appreciate you not making assumptions for how I think. Thanks for that.

Secondly, I did not make that post in an attempt to have a debate about climate change, I made that post to tell you why I think polls are worthless since you asked me.

Maybe if people stopped voting for crooks there wouldn't be a need to investigate them? It was a good run for party of law and order. RIP.

Dude.....First of all, I would appreciate you not making assumptions for how I think. Thanks for that.

Secondly, I did not make that post in an attempt to have a debate about climate change, I made that post to tell you why I think polls are worthless since you asked me.
So I will not assume you want people to have the full facts in the future, my bad.

My point was that for people to answer your cost question properly they'd have to know more about what they already stand to be paying for.  You know before we make up a personal cost for something that has no finalized policy solutions in comparison to something that's happening right now.

You picked the subject after all.

But your post showed that polls are not worthless.  In your example the poll indicates that roughly 95% of the population wants to stop climate change.  When a variable was introduced on how to do that the polling indicated significantly less support.

So I will not assume you want people to have the full facts in the future, my bad.

My point was that for people to answer your cost question properly they'd have to know more about what they already stand to be paying for.  You know before we make up a personal cost for something that has no finalized policy solutions in comparison to something that's happening right now.

You picked the subject after all.
Here's a novel idea.  Don't assume anything about my thoughts...OK?  Capable of that?

I know the point...And polls are worthless

But your post showed that polls are not worthless.  In your example the poll indicates that roughly 95% of the population wants to stop climate change.  When a variable was introduced on how to do that the polling indicated significantly less support.
Yes but when someone says something like

76% of people want 'this'  I reject that because I don't know who was asked and what questions were asked.

But your point is valid.  I'm sure 95% of people do want climate change to end.

I'll say at the outset that I have no idea what's in Trump's tax returns. I mean that in both the sense that I don't know specifically what's in his, and also that I don't know what kind of information you can glean from tax returns. (I mean, I know what's in my tax return, but I'm guessing the complexity of a rich guy's returns compared to mine is like a 747 compared to a tricycle.)

I also have no idea whether the information in his returns will hurt him politically, or lead to impeachment, or what the impact will be.

The reason I want to see them is because I think transparency is really important! I thought that when Mitt Romney was reluctant to release his in 2012, and I think that now that Bernie Sanders seems to be dragging his feet (even though I suspect that Bernie's are probably simple enough that he still does them in TurboTax, if not by hand).

The fact that Trump still owns his business after becoming president is a huge issue in its own right, because it raises the possibility that he is putting his business' interests above the country's. But legally speaking, there's nothing that can be done about that. So at a minimum, Congress should have as much information as possible about those businesses and be able to assess whether he is conflicted. (I almost wrote "the public" should have that information. That is what I believe, but legally speaking, only Congress has the right to it.)

And then there's also the fact that Trump, his associates, his organization and his foundation are currently under investigation by numerous state and federal entities. Obviously, that in itself doesn't prove anything, but it does at least suggest some kind of probable cause that Congress may want to look into.

One last point: Even though the law seems to be pretty clear that Congress can get these returns, it's not like they can just show up at the IRS tomorrow and say "Gimmegimmegimme!" Mindful of the inevitable legal challenges the administration will make, the Ways and Means Committee is establishing a legal paper trail demonstrating why they need the return and why they can't get that information elsewhere. I don't know exactly what those reasons are, and it's possible they'll all be BS. But since they will be public, we will be able to judge for ourselves whether they have established a legitimate rationale for requesting the returns.

Users who are viewing this thread