What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why does San Diego suck? (1 Viewer)

There are plenty of things to so in SD.
For example?
No one says "yeah, Hawaii has great weather, but its really missing outdoor urban parks."
I agree. They list all the great things there are to do in Hawaii. They talk about hiking, volcanoes, water falls, beaches, Pearl Harbor, whale watching, catching a sunrise or sunset, road-side smoothie stands, helicopter tours, attending a traditional luau and participating in some of Hawaii's unique culture, and many other things.The point is, when people talk about Hawaii, they talk about more than just the weather. I'm sure there are tons of things to do in San Diego. I just have no idea what those things are because nobody talks about them.
Look, I'm not a member of the Chamber of Commerce. When I spent time there in the early 2000's, they had plenty of farmers markets, shopping, and much more scenic outdoor parks than anything you'll find in northern Virginia. I had as much fun drinking in the gas lamp district as I've had anywhere else in the country. Most of the city is immaculate. FYI, 90% of the people who go to Hawaii are going to sit on the beach and maybe hike. The thrill of experiencing hawaii's unique culture isn't the big draw there - that's cool if it is your main reason for visiting, but that isn't getting millions of people flying halfway across the globe.

It's the suck because it takes quite posssibly one of the hottest girls in high school :tebow: she moves there and now she plays for the other team :sadbanana:

My best experiences with San Diego were going to small restaurants while sitting outside, seeing La Jolla, and walking Balboa Park. I missed the Zoo by a few hours and imagine that's terrific. Gas Lamp did nothing for me. It's some city planner's idea of a downtown experience.

I haven't been to San Diego, but I'm always left wondering a bit when people say that a big city is lacking "soul" or "personality".Other than NYC and maybe Chicago, I can't say that I could really differentiate one big city from another if you dropped me down in a spot and took known landmarks out of the equation. Every big city has good restaurants. Every big city has cool bars. Every big city has parks. Every big city has an art district, museums, etc.I think that's why, when a city has a particular niche (San Diego's weather/beaches) that's primarily what you hear about. Denver has mountains/skiing so that's what you hear about when people talk about Denver. Nashville has music so that's what you hear about when people talk about Nashville. Take those things away and would they be any more well known than Cincinnati?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get what the OP is saying to some extent but I think you have to see some of the coastal towns outside of downtown to get a better feel such as Encinitas, Solana Beach. You do need serious cash to own here, but it's pretty sweet. I love the active, healthy lifestyle, but I can see it's not for everyone if they need that big city pulse. Also, some great local cuisine and breweries near SD.

There are plenty of things to so in SD.
For example?
No one says "yeah, Hawaii has great weather, but its really missing outdoor urban parks."
I agree. They list all the great things there are to do in Hawaii. They talk about hiking, volcanoes, water falls, beaches, Pearl Harbor, whale watching, catching a sunrise or sunset, road-side smoothie stands, helicopter tours, attending a traditional luau and participating in some of Hawaii's unique culture, and many other things.The point is, when people talk about Hawaii, they talk about more than just the weather. I'm sure there are tons of things to do in San Diego. I just have no idea what those things are because nobody talks about them.
Ocean BeachMexican Food

Seafood

Surfing/water sports

Pseudo-legal weed

Year-round golf (freaking Torrey Pines is public and super-cheap for locals)

Baseball stadium in downtown location

Not my kind of town because it fails my #1 criteria (can you live there comfortably without having a car). But that's just my own thing- it's got a lot going for it. It's not Chicago or NY or SF, but only three cities are.
The woeful public transportation system is a big negative to me as well - by far the thing I miss the most about DC.Most of the criticisms from folks are due to the simple fact that the actual "city" is less densely populated than the big 3. It's a valid point - when I visit NYC, Chicago, or SF I always stay in Manhattan, somewhere on the L, and on the peninsula, respectively. When folks visit San Diego, the beaches are generally the draw, and the downtown experience (which IS the experience of those other cities) is 2ndary in SD.

IMO, SF is really the only city that has it all - beauty, pulse, culture in a thriving economic area. NYC and Chicago are great, but they can't really compete with SF.

SD is not in the top tier for nightlife. I find it similar to Phoenix.It's tremendous in every other area.I like it that way. I don't want it to be Miami.

Are there a couple great retail strips with shops, restaurants, and bars? Are there really good clubs and small concert establishments? Are there fun markets to buy produce, meat, and seafood? Is there a cool historic district? Are there a couple great urban outdoor parks with open space, fountains, and statues where people like to hang and picnic? Are there huge national parks with cool mountains or caves or deserts to explore within easy driving distance? Are there museums? Operas? Other cultural centers?
Substitute symphony for opera, and the answer to every one of those questions is a resounding yes.

If this gets to page 3 with still no mention of Del Mar, I'm going to be pissed. :excited:

'BRONG said:
If this gets to page 3 with still no mention of Del Mar, I'm going to be pissed.
Where the turf meets the surf.
That's the only place I've ever visited in SD. Trained down from Anaheim, everybody spent a great day in the sun betting slow horses and then getting really drunk in the bar car going back.
Sounds like a perfect day, even with the slow horses.

This thread is absurd. San Diego is easily my favorite place I've been.* Incredible weather, good restaurants in gas lamp, minutes away from really nice beaches, and, frankly, not nearly as pricey as I anticipated. If I could live anywhere I'd choose San Diego_One of my favorite memories is waking up in my hotel then going for a morning run through Petco Park and down onto the bay. Tons of people out jogging and milling around - seemed a very healthy city and since I'm more of a hang out outside with a few cocktails person rather than some club I found it ideal. That and the girls are pretty amazing there too. *I've never been to Austin, San Fran, New Orleans, and Vancouver - which all seem to get pretty nice reviews too.

Unless you love outdoor activities, San Diego is not for you. Looking for crowded bars and nightclubs that make a city feel "alive" at 4am, you won't find it in San Diego.You will however find the beaches alive at 6am while people catch the first set of waves, prepare their sail boats for a day on the water and prep their reels for tuna fishing. San Diego has the best weather in the US, bar none. IF that right there doesn't catch your interest, then stay for a couple of days and move on. Its not for you.

It doesn't compute. I'm not asking for New Orleans, because that's a random perfect storm (forgive the pun), but on paper it should be a jumping ####### hotspot city. That's our greatest spot and instead of being that, it's like Orange County meets Norfolk on Zoloft.
I'm guessing you haven't spent any time on 4th and 5th south of Broadway eh?
Disclaimer: I've never been to San Diegobut if you're having to give me a couple block area where the fun is in a city like San Diego, that pretty much proves Apple Jack's point.

Everything I've ever heard about SD is "it's so great, the weather..."

It's never "we went to San Diego and had such a great time, we did x and y and z"

In a city like San Diego, you shouldn't be telling me about a couple block area, you should be calling out different districts/areas.

San Diego makes Cincinnati seem interesting. If only the weather...
I've never been there either, but I definitely agree with this.A city of SD's size and natural advantages should have many more hot spots. And, there should be hot spots of varying types for those with different interests.

When I think of SD, I think of weather, beaches, and a zoo. I guess I can now add 4th and 5th south of Broadway, whatever that is. Anything else?
Any review of SD that includes the phrase "yeah, but other than the weather ..." (or its functional equivalent) completely misses the point. If you don't place much importance on the climate SD is not going to rank highly for you.
Everyone likes great weather. Everyone realizes San Diego has great weather. But, that, on its own, can't make it a great city.So, you have this great weather. Now what? Other than the beach, what do you do in this great weather? Where do you go? Or, do you just sit on your front porch all day and say, "This is such a blast sitting here on my porch in this weather"?

Where are the great hangouts? Are there a couple great retail strips with shops, restaurants, and bars? Are there really good clubs and small concert establishments? Are there fun markets to buy produce, meat, and seafood? Is there a cool historic district? Are there a couple great urban outdoor parks with open space, fountains, and statues where people like to hang and picnic? Are there huge national parks with cool mountains or caves or deserts to explore within easy driving distance? Are there museums? Operas? Other cultural centers?

This is what people want to know, but all we ever hear is: weather, beach, weather, beach, weather, beach. Those things are absolutely great, but a lot of people want more.
Most of things you want to do are thing that poor people do. Urban parks? Statues? LOL Looking for cool hangouts and fun markets? you sound like you're 14.

Play golf at your country club. Sail the Pacific in your yacht. Enjoy the fine dining with the upper crust.

Picnic?! That's what dirtbags do.

You probably fart in front of your woman on top of it all.

Agree with the nightlife comments, this is the only area where SD is lacking. I lived there for 5 years, and only left b/c I was sick of the big city. The weather is incomparable, period. We lived in Mission Valley for 5 years. I can count on both hands the amount of times we needed a heater or A/C. It's clean. There are excellent parks. It is a very scenic city, geographically and woman-wise (my god the women are freakin incredible). You have Petco and a bunch of great restaurants downtown. Coronado is the best beach on the west coast. La Jolla. It's golfing/ hiking heaven, right in town. Zoo. Sea World. Old Town. Balboa park. Del Mar. Museums, especially of the military variety. And if you head east, you have the greatest 4-wheeling area in the US, Imperial Dunes, along with excellent camping and hiking opportunities. You also have easy access to all the excellent things that LA has to offer, wihout having to live in the hellhole that is LA.There is a very laidback vibe among the natives that you don't get in other major cities, you could call it laziness I suppose, but the natives are also not uber- provincial like they are literally EVERYWHERE ELSE, and they are quite welcoming to outsiders. However, it being SoCal, there is a lot of shallowness and money-love. If you don't like SD, don't go there. You won't be missed.

My best experiences with San Diego were going to small restaurants while sitting outside, seeing La Jolla, and walking Balboa Park. I missed the Zoo by a few hours and imagine that's terrific. Gas Lamp did nothing for me. It's some city planner's idea of a downtown experience.
It's like Epcot Center.

San Diego has the best weather in the US, bar none.
Sure SD has great weather but your comment is amazingly debatable
I'm not sure it is. Are you going to start the debate?
I imagine the debate would be with those who prefer four seasons.
That's fine. I like 4 seasons too. But when you have 4 seasons, generally at least one of them sucks. And that's not the case in SD.

SureThere are cities in AZ, GA, SC, FL and ironically enough NOCAL that have as nice if not nicer weather than San Diego. Addtionally the Pacific ocean is quite cool there a majority of the year which is a a bit of the suck when you can't go swimming in that nice weather without a wet suit on our several numbing drinks in you.....

Where are the great hangouts? Are there a couple great retail strips with shops, restaurants, and bars? Are there really good clubs and small concert establishments? Are there fun markets to buy produce, meat, and seafood? Is there a cool historic district? Are there a couple great urban outdoor parks with open space, fountains, and statues where people like to hang and picnic? Are there huge national parks with cool mountains or caves or deserts to explore within easy driving distance? Are there museums? Operas? Other cultural centers?
Nope. There are none of these things. Everyone should just stay away from this hell on earth.You have been warned.

I just told my students this morning that if I could live anywhere, I would choose San DiegoI dont need a night life. Just give me 75 and sunny every day and Ill do the rest to make it great.

SureThere are cities in AZ, GA, SC and ironically enough NOCAL that have as nice if not nicer weather than San Diego. Addtionally the Pacific ocean is quite cool there a majority of the year which is a a bit of the suck when you can't go swimming in that nice weather without a wet suit on our several numbing drinks in you.....
I can't speak to GA or SC, but I'm skeptical. AZ and NorCal? I've lived in both and can't think of what cities you might be speaking of. Those places either get much warmer or much colder than SD. The weather in SF and other areas of NorCal is awesome, for sure. I love it here. But it'ds not as nice as SD.

That's fine. I like 4 seasons too. But when you have 4 seasons, generally at least one of them sucks. And that's not the case in SD.
We're not talking generally if you're debating the best weather. Take Durango, CO, for example. Four distinct seasons. Summers are generally no more than 85 or so, with very low humidity. Then winter often affords you the opportunity to ski powder in the morning and play golf in the afternoon with a short drive south. And obviously all the winter wonderland fun with snowmobiling, back-country skiing, proximity to some of the best lift-serviced skiing in the world, etc. I think Durango is probably the best argument for four seasons. Or even Denver.

While I agree that San Diego is a couple notches below the love child of Detroit and Kabul, you're reaching here. When it comes to Hawaii people talk almost exclusively about the weather and the ridiculous cost of living.

I just told my students this morning that if I could live anywhere, I would choose San DiegoI dont need a night life. Just give me 75 and sunny every day and Ill do the rest to make it great.
But the thing is there is a great night life. Just a short trolley ride away. TJ...I miss my Navy days sometimes when I think of the crazy times I had there.

Wife and I have discussed going to San Diego a number of times. In the end we always end up going to Mexico or Florida instead. Our thoughts are always the same. San Diego is beautiful and would be fun, but Mexico is cheaper when you factor in all inclusive and the weather is just as good on the beach in Mexico(if not better). Florida is more kid friendly and cheaper as well. Shorter flights too. It does not have the culture or food draw that some other cities have either so that never wins out. So pretty much every trip we look at whether it be a family trip, beach trip, relaxation trip, food trip, sight seeing, etc. San Diego just doesnt make the cut.

We're not talking generally if you're debating the best weather. Take Durango, CO, for example. Four distinct seasons. Summers are generally no more than 85 or so, with very low humidity. Then winter often affords you the opportunity to ski powder in the morning and play golf in the afternoon with a short drive south. And obviously all the winter wonderland fun with snowmobiling, back-country skiing, proximity to some of the best lift-serviced skiing in the world, etc. I think Durango is probably the best argument for four seasons. Or even Denver.
Awesome places. And you know you're in a truly stupid debate when you're nitpicking tiny things between multiple excellent locales, but I'm bored so I'll play. My point stands. Where there's snow, there's cold. No snow in SD. And I've been in Denver and other areas of CO where the summertime highs stretch well into the upper 90s or higher. Not so in SD. A few miles east of there, definitley. But not in SD proper.

Florida is more kid friendly and cheaper as well.
Spur of the moment we can go to Legoland, SD Zoo, SD Safari Park, Sea World, and Disneyland within an hour. Can spend a day at the beach for free pretty much year round. How do you beat that? Florida gets over 50" of rainfall a year. SD gets 12.

Users who are viewing this thread