What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why does San Diego suck? (2 Viewers)

San Diego has the best weather in the US, bar none.
Sure SD has great weather but your comment is amazingly debatable
I'm not sure it is. Are you going to start the debate?
SureThere are cities in AZ, GA, SC and ironically enough NOCAL that have as nice if not nicer weather than San Diego. Addtionally the Pacific ocean is quite cool there a majority of the year which is a a bit of the suck when you can't go swimming in that nice weather without a wet suit on our several numbing drinks in you.....
I can't speak to GA or SC, but I'm skeptical. AZ and NorCal? I've lived in both and can't think of what cities you might be speaking of. Those places either get much warmer or much colder than SD. The weather in SF and other areas of NorCal is awesome, for sure. I love it here. But it'ds not as nice as SD.
To each his own I guess :shrug:

Florida is more kid friendly and cheaper as well.
Spur of the moment we can go to Legoland, SD Zoo, SD Safari Park, Sea World, and Disneyland within an hour. Can spend a day at the beach for free pretty much year round. How do you beat that? Florida gets over 50" of rainfall a year. SD gets 12.
Wow! Legoland, Sea World, and Disneyland???? Florida doesnt have any of that so I guess you are right. That makes the extra money we will have to spend traveling there all worth it.

SureThere are cities in AZ, GA, SC and ironically enough NOCAL that have as nice if not nicer weather than San Diego. Addtionally the Pacific ocean is quite cool there a majority of the year which is a a bit of the suck when you can't go swimming in that nice weather without a wet suit on our several numbing drinks in you.....
I can't speak to GA or SC, but I'm skeptical. AZ and NorCal? I've lived in both and can't think of what cities you might be speaking of. Those places either get much warmer or much colder than SD. The weather in SF and other areas of NorCal is awesome, for sure. I love it here. But it'ds not as nice as SD.
GA or SC have summers with 95 degree heat and 100% humidity. To say that's better than San Diego is just absurd. Most of the summer you don't even want to be outside.

I've only been to San Diego once, but it had a more spread out feel, which made it seem less crowded and overpopulated than LA and San Fran. I also don't get the comment earlier about the public transportation, as the trolley and bus system was very easy to figure out and use while I was there. I found it very easy to get up to La Jolla and back...same with the aquarium near U of C-San Diego (or was it SD State?). The nightlife and downtown options may be better in cities like New York, San Fran and Chicago- and I've been there more often than San Diego- but the transportation options don't feel as accessible or safe and the area feels much more crowded than the vibe of San Diego.The heavy military influence makes the downtown area feel a little cold and impersonal, but Old Town has a decent amount of character. Balboa Park was great, the zoo and the wildlife park are great, and as mentioned before, there are lots of nice outdoor activities to do and it's a cyclist's dream. I could see living in San Diego easier than the other larger California cities.

Saying AZ has weather as nice or nicer than SD is absurd. I lived in AZ for 22 years. SD is filled with people from AZ taking a break from the heat in the summer.

Spur of the moment we can go to Legoland, SD Zoo, SD Safari Park, Sea World, and Disneyland within an hour. Can spend a day at the beach for free pretty much year round. How do you beat that? Florida gets over 50" of rainfall a year. SD gets 12.
Wow! Legoland, Sea World, and Disneyland???? Florida doesnt have any of that so I guess you are right. That makes the extra money we will have to spend traveling there all worth it.
Don't be silly. You said FL was more kid friendly.

My best experiences with San Diego were going to small restaurants while sitting outside, seeing La Jolla, and walking Balboa Park. I missed the Zoo by a few hours and imagine that's terrific. Gas Lamp did nothing for me. It's some city planner's idea of a downtown experience.
It's like Epcot Center.
I got a bit of that feeling as well. Seemed like Disney Pleasure Island.San Diego has a lot going for it. I enjoyed my visit there, but don't have a strong urge to get back. Just felt a bit flat I guess.

GA or SC have summers with 95 degree heat and 100% humidity. To say that's better than San Diego is just absurd. Most of the summer you don't even want to be outside.
Like I said I think we can all agree to each his own. Charleston SC for example has excellent weather, SAV GA has an average high of 77 annually. But if one prefer's averages in SOCAL of 75 with an arrid dessert feel due to lack of rain and a cool ocean, so be it, enjoy :banned: .I for one enjoy the heat and humidity, doesn't bother me, especially when you get a nice sea breeze where I am. Nor does it seems to bother tourists from all over the US that flock to this region in droves during the summer. Or as Applejack pointed out maybe one wants more out of each individual season. I for one miss a snowy winter.All I was saying was to claim SD has the best weather in the US "bar none" is an individual opinion and certainly debatable.

I've only been to San Diego once, but it had a more spread out feel, which made it seem less crowded and overpopulated than LA and San Fran. I also don't get the comment earlier about the public transportation, as the trolley and bus system was very easy to figure out and use while I was there. I found it very easy to get up to La Jolla and back...same with the aquarium near U of C-San Diego (or was it SD State?). The nightlife and downtown options may be better in cities like New York, San Fran and Chicago- and I've been there more often than San Diego- but the transportation options don't feel as accessible or safe and the area feels much more crowded than the vibe of San Diego.
You seem to be saying San Diego's relative lack of density is a positive and I think others find that as a negative. It's all a matter of preference. Higher density places like NY, Chicago, and SF creates heavier pedestrian traffic and that's something that makes a city feel more alive.As for the public transportation, most people look down upon bus transportation. It's generally seen as low class. Trolleys are usually a positive, but not nearly as positive as heavy rail/metro/subway. Light rail is typically considered somewhat cool; definitely better than buses.

It's not real exciting, but how many of us nerdy white guys in our 30s and 40s are out 2-3 nights a week at clubs, bars etc.Maybe I'm boring, but the livability and surroundings of an area are far more important to me than the nightlife and club scene. I work, spend time with the family, go out on occasion with the Mrs. and do most of my drinking at my house with friends over, or at their houses.We live in the Chicago burbs. Boring as hell, but a nice place to live. Winter is tough, but spring, summer and fall are nice. But I'd mush rather live somewhere with natural beauty, gorgeous weather, and less traffic. It seems like San Diego has that (except it's uber expensive).So for a vacation where you want to party, SD isn't anywhere near tops. But for real life, unless you are AZRon or a young single guy, I don't know why the excitement level is that important. :2cents:

'36th Chamber said:
I for one enjoy the humidity
calling :bs: here
:confused:
not sure how anyone could like high humidity. it makes me suicidal.
says the ice hockey fan from up North
I assume people tolerate the humidity b/c they hate the cold. you're the first person I've every heard say they actually like it.weather in the southeast is the worst in the country, IMO but I'm sure some people dig it.

'dgreen said:
'The Kuhn said:
I've only been to San Diego once, but it had a more spread out feel, which made it seem less crowded and overpopulated than LA and San Fran. I also don't get the comment earlier about the public transportation, as the trolley and bus system was very easy to figure out and use while I was there. I found it very easy to get up to La Jolla and back...same with the aquarium near U of C-San Diego (or was it SD State?). The nightlife and downtown options may be better in cities like New York, San Fran and Chicago- and I've been there more often than San Diego- but the transportation options don't feel as accessible or safe and the area feels much more crowded than the vibe of San Diego.
You seem to be saying San Diego's relative lack of density is a positive and I think others find that as a negative. It's all a matter of preference. Higher density places like NY, Chicago, and SF creates heavier pedestrian traffic and that's something that makes a city feel more alive.As for the public transportation, most people look down upon bus transportation. It's generally seen as low class. Trolleys are usually a positive, but not nearly as positive as heavy rail/metro/subway. Light rail is typically considered somewhat cool; definitely better than buses.
The city vibe is like the sports vibe. Muted.If you asked people in SD about the proud city nature of a Boston, Pittsburgh, or Chicago I think they'd tell you it's silly. Here they like to do their own thing - usually outdoors - and being jammed in a small area with other folks is not what they go for. The bars and clubs are here but they are a causal, secondary thing in the consciousness of the people.

So yeah, it's not even close to as vibrant as SF, NYC, Chicago, etc...

'17seconds said:
'AcerFC said:
'17seconds said:
'parasaurolophus said:
Just out of curiosity, give me some areas to check real estate web site for
wha?
I want to look for houses in San Diego but dont know what areas to put in. Not interested in downtown, more suburb feel

'36th Chamber said:
And the way they get to those averages you cite couldn't be more different. SD's average is pretty much the ballpark of temp every day of the year. Give or take. Charleston breaches 100 with humity in the 90s in the summer. It's not pleasant. You walk out to get the paper and a bagel and you're sweating by the time you get to the first intersection.

'17seconds said:
'AcerFC said:
'17seconds said:
'parasaurolophus said:
wha?
I want to look for houses in San Diego but dont know what areas to put in. Not interested in downtown, more suburb feel
Downtown has a very suburban feel.

'17seconds said:
'AcerFC said:
'17seconds said:
'parasaurolophus said:
wha?
La Jolla?

'17seconds said:
'AcerFC said:
'17seconds said:
'parasaurolophus said:
wha?
La Jolla?
Better be rich.

I'd like to live there for a year to forge a better opinion.weather beeroceanmountainsgolfthere is a lot to like from my perspective.

'36th Chamber said:
'Herb said:
'36th Chamber said:
'Skylord said:
SureThere are cities in AZ, GA, SC, FL and ironically enough NOCAL that have as nice if not nicer weather than San Diego.

Addtionally the Pacific ocean is quite cool there a majority of the year which is a a bit of the suck when you can't go swimming in that nice weather without a wet suit on our several numbing drinks in you.....
No, no there's not

'17seconds said:
'parasaurolophus said:
Rain isn't the issue with Florida. All that rain is packed into about 30 minutes per day. It's gone before you can even complain about it.The heat.. that's another matter entirely. I buy that San Diego has weather superior to anywhere in the continental U.S. Hawaii is better, IMO, by a lot, but leaving that out, I think we can all acknowledge the top shelf weather aspect of it.

'17seconds said:
'36th Chamber said:
'Herb said:
'36th Chamber said:
'Herb said:
'36th Chamber said:
'Skylord said:
Saying AZ has weather as nice or nicer than SD is absurd. I lived in AZ for 22 years. SD is filled with people from AZ taking a break from the heat in the summer.
Yep. I've been here for 5 years and have been all over the state. The one thing I do like about it is that you can always find somewhere at any point where the weather is good (low desert in winter, high desert/high country in summer), but really no one place is as constantly comfortable as San Diego.

'36th Chamber said:
And the way they get to those averages you cite couldn't be more different. SD's average is pretty much the ballpark of temp every day of the year. Give or take. Charleston breaches 100 with humity in the 90s in the summer. It's not pleasant. You walk out to get the paper and a bagel and you're sweating by the time you get to the first intersection.
Fair enough on the averages I citied. But the weather, say in Charelston & SAV (and in between) in the fall, winter and spring is as nice or nicer than SD....IMOSo it get's a little hot in the summer, some of us like sub tropical/tropical weather. Man you guys are a rough crowd. Calling BS on what I like and don't like :lmao:

I'd like to live there for a year to forge a better opinion.

weather

beer

ocean

mountains

golf

there is a lot to like from my perspective.
Yeah I said this stuff too. But I think the idea is that those things aren't really San Diego-specific, and that the city itself is unremarkable. I think they're talking about whether the city itself has personality and character and interesting urban neighborhoods and stuff. If the first thing people talk about when praising a city is all the stuff you can do near the city, that might not be the best commentary on the city itself. But as far as I'm concerned, if you've got a downtown baseball stadium in a cool location you're already in the top 20 or so.

'36th Chamber said:
Like I said I think we can all agree to each his own. Charleston SC for example has excellent weather, SAV GA has an average high of 77 annually. But if one prefer's averages in SOCAL of 75 with an arrid dessert feel due to lack of rain and a cool ocean, so be it, enjoy :banned: .I for one enjoy the heat and humidity, doesn't bother me, especially when you get a nice sea breeze where I am. Nor does it seems to bother tourists from all over the US that flock to this region in droves during the summer. Or as Applejack pointed out maybe one wants more out of each individual season. I for one miss a snowy winter.All I was saying was to claim SD has the best weather in the US "bar none" is an individual opinion and certainly debatable.
I grew up in Florida and spent most of life in the southeast. Charleston and Savannah are nice but the weather is downright wretched in the heart of summer.Obviously everyone has their opinion on what kind of weather they enjoy. If you enjoy hot and humid you're in the minority, but not alone. Like some others in this thread I actually prefer very cold winters because they mean skiing and other back country activities. That said, as much outdoor fun as snow brings, there's no doubt that the cold weather is a huge PITA when you're not playing in it. Stuff as simple as taking out the trash, walking somewhere, or driving to work on the icy roads is much worse than walking outside to a nice 75 degree breeze.While I prefer cold for the things it brings, and would choose Colorado or Utah over San Diego for that reason, there's no doubt that a nice mild 70 is the "best" weather in general and the one that by far most people prefer.

'36th Chamber said:
Fair enough on the averages I citied. But the weather, say in Charelston & SAV (and in between) in the fall, winter and spring is as nice or nicer than SD....IMOSo it get's a little hot in the summer, some of us like sub tropical/tropical weather. Man you guys are a rough crowd. Calling BS on what I like and don't like :lmao:
I've met a couple people that claim they really like high heat and humidity. I believe you, but think you're :crazy:

Any place with Del Mar Turf Club can't completely suck.
Relative to SF, NYC, New Orleans...towns with funk and vibrance, where sprawl isn't trip malls but one interesting neighborhood after the next. Just seems set up to be like an Acapulco without the violence and summer heat, yet hasn't happened. I find it oddly intriguing.ETA: I'm thinking the water temp probably has something to do with it. It's pretty chilly.

Last edited by a moderator:
'36th Chamber said:
I've met a couple people that claim they really like high heat and humidity. I believe you, but think you're :crazy:
I blame the :crazy: on the high heat and humidity

'36th Chamber said:
not sure how anyone could like high humidity. it makes me suicidal.
says the ice hockey fan from up North
I assume people tolerate the humidity b/c they hate the cold. you're the first person I've every heard say they actually like it.weather in the southeast is the worst in the country, IMO but I'm sure some people dig it.
Personally, I'll gladly take my chances with a hurricane over a blizzard. Granted, the damage is about the same, and the humidity in FL anywhere not within a mile of a coastline during summer is almost always 85% or higher, but I'd rather not freeze to death when the power goes out.

Relative to SF, NYC, New Orleans...towns with funk and vibrance, where sprawl isn't trip malls but one interesting neighborhood after the next. Just seems set up to be like an Acapulco without the violence and summer heat, yet hasn't happened. I find it oddly intriguing.ETA: I'm thinking the water temp probably has something to do with it. It's pretty chilly.
As long as you don't leave the track it's all moot.

'36th Chamber said:
I grew up in Florida and spent most of life in the southeast. Charleston and Savannah are nice but the weather is downright wretched in the heart of summer.Obviously everyone has their opinion on what kind of weather they enjoy. If you enjoy hot and humid you're in the minority, but not alone. Like some others in this thread I actually prefer very cold winters because they mean skiing and other back country activities. That said, as much outdoor fun as snow brings, there's no doubt that the cold weather is a huge PITA when you're not playing in it. Stuff as simple as taking out the trash, walking somewhere, or driving to work on the icy roads is much worse than walking outside to a nice 75 degree breeze.While I prefer cold for the things it brings, and would choose Colorado or Utah over San Diego for that reason, there's no doubt that a nice mild 70 is the "best" weather in general and the one that by far most people prefer.
:goodposting: So right. I love snow, but hate the cold. 25 degrees with no wind is fine weather. But cold like you get in the NE or midwest winters is misery that can only be eclipsed by summers just about everywhere other than the west and northwest. Hence living in NorCal. Best of all worlds, weatherwise.

weather

beer

ocean

mountains

golf

Yeah I said this stuff too. But I think the idea is that those things aren't really San Diego-specific, and that the city itself is unremarkable. I think they're talking about whether the city itself has personality and character and interesting urban neighborhoods and stuff. If the first thing people talk about when praising a city is all the stuff you can do near the city, that might not be the best commentary on the city itself. But as far as I'm concerned, if you've got a downtown baseball stadium in a cool location you're already in the top 20 or so.
That's a plus. As is the airport essentially being downtown.

'parasaurolophus said:
Wife and I have discussed going to San Diego a number of times. In the end we always end up going to Mexico or Florida instead. Our thoughts are always the same. San Diego is beautiful and would be fun, but Mexico is cheaper when you factor in all inclusive and the weather is just as good on the beach in Mexico(if not better).

Florida is more kid friendly and cheaper as well. Shorter flights too.

It does not have the culture or food draw that some other cities have either so that never wins out.

So pretty much every trip we look at whether it be a family trip, beach trip, relaxation trip, food trip, sight seeing, etc. San Diego just doesnt make the cut.
:lmao: You don't choose SD because it has a lack of culture, but two sentences up you are talking about going to all-inclusive resorts in Mexico...

Personally, I'll gladly take my chances with a hurricane over a blizzard. Granted, the damage is about the same, and the humidity in FL anywhere not within a mile of a coastline during summer is almost always 85% or higher, but I'd rather not freeze to death when the power goes out.
blizzards are awesome. you're nuts.what damage? Hurricanes can wipe out a city. The snow eventually just melts away.I've been without power in the middle of winter before. It sucks but you don't "freze to death" unless you live in a shanty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Del Mar racetrack. Gambling, microbrew fests, concerts, really hot women, and not a scummy racetrack feel at all. Only thing that sucks are the crazy drink prices.

when I went to DelMar, the place was packed. Couldn't find a seat. Traffic seemed like it could kind of suck getting in and out of there at times, but I thought it was awesome.Kind of a haul from the city though, wasn't it?

weather

beer

ocean

mountains

golf

San Diego beer is San Diego specific, at least for me it is living in Chicago. I get some of it, but not the good stuff. I need the good stuff.

weather

beer

ocean

mountains

golf

That's a plus. As is the airport essentially being downtown.
I swear I'd just sit there and watch in amazement as planes looked like they'd clip the tops of buildings. It's an odd location, but super convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread