What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is there such a witchhunt regarding Romo? (2 Viewers)

I heard he fractured his hand... when released. jk jk

The "witch hunt" is over, the reason was too many turnovers, some of them at crucial times.

Has any retiring player jumped directly into such a huge gig before? Romo comes off as a likeable everyman, and aside from the choke jokes even NFCE rival fans don't really dislike him (I would have rooted for him to succeed on the Texans or Broncos). I just don't get why he of all players is getting a big enough opportunity that it actually convinced him to retire. I've never seen him speak at anything other than a presser, what's so special about him? Was it just a right place right time thing or is being a recognizable career QB of the Cowboys enough? 
Lucked into a bidding war I'm guessing.

Probably best for all involved.

Jones wasn't going to get anything for him so why would you want him potentially strengthening one of his 31 competitors for absolutely nothing in return?

Romo should have known it was over when he couldn't even get out of the last preseason healthy after just a few snaps. He has 125 attempts over the past two seasons and will be 37 in a few weeks. His injuries haven't been of the "broken finger" variety either. If he can stay healthy in the booth he'll probably make more $ there moving forward than he would of on the field.

They both end up winners in all this.

Bobby Sylvester‏ @bobbyfantasypro

Replying to @Froooskiii @FFHitman @MikeTagliereNFL
4Q QB ratings: Brady (94.3), Manning (90.5), Rodgers (102.3), Romo (102.7), Young (97.1), Montana (79.9), Marino (85.4), Favre (80.4)
So??  what's your point??  NO WAY IN HECK does Romo make it to the HOF!  TWO playoff wins????  You need to either have big stats throwing during the regular season and or playoff/Super Bowl appearances/WINS.  Romo has neither.

WHY THE LOVE for ROMO on ALL the NFL shows is beyond me.  Manning didn't get this much attention.  I'm about to blow chunks....

Jones wasn't going to get anything for him so why would you want him potentially strengthening one of his 31 competitors for absolutely nothing in return?

Romo should have known it was over when he couldn't even get out of the last preseason healthy after just a few snaps. He has 125 attempts over the past two seasons and will be 37 in a few weeks. His injuries haven't been of the "broken finger" variety either. If he can stay healthy in the booth he'll probably make more $ there moving forward than he would of on the field.

Yeah, good for all involved really

4Q QB ratings: Brady (94.3), Manning (90.5), Rodgers (102.3), Romo (102.7), Young (97.1), Montana (79.9), Marino (85.4), Favre (80.4)
If anything, that just goes to show how useless this rating is if Romo is #1.  Just about all ratings and metrics favor "recent" QBs anyway because of the way the game is played now and rule changes.  Romo was never really considered one of the top QBs while playing.  He was selected second team All Pro once and to 4 Pro Bowls (which are almost meaningless now since the QBs going to the Super Bowl can't go and all the injury replacements - Alex Smith has made 2 Pro Bowls).  He gets a lot of love because of the way he played and the fact that he played for the Cowboys.  If he gets in, then Mark Brunell, Drew Bledsoe and Vinny T. need to go in first. 

2 great seasons, 1 very good season, the rest is a bunch of mediocre crap.  0 Superbowl appearances, much less Superbowl wins.  Some notable and memorable chokes.

Solid but hardly great.  Put him in the Hall of Pretty Good.

Not sure about the should have known it was over after not getting out of the preseason thing.  The awkwardness of the hit he took in that game would have injured anybody on the planet. And then in the series that he played at the end of the season he looked as good as ever. 

Reporters:   "Tony Romo is the missing piece to a GUARANTEED Super Bowl win for (insert any loser team name here)!"

Denver (Houston/Cleveland)? Coaches:    "He's a crap ton better than what we have now, but Mayock said Mahomes, is the next Dak Prescott"

John Elway:   "Pfft! I can STILL play better than that stiff!"

Jerry Jones:    "$15 Million for my backup Quarterback with collarbones made of Cheetos?"

"Dak is the best Cowboy QB in history (Don't tell Roger or Troy I said that) and I'm only paying him half a mil (don't tell Dak that amount)!"

Phil Simms: ( At his press conference) : "Tony Freaking Romo?!!??! Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? That loser never sniffed a Super Bowl let alone the MVP!!" "Wait. What? He said he needs a wing man to take out Jessica Simpson because he's married now? MY MAN TOOONY!!!! Welcome to the CBS Family!! "

Tony Romo:   Hmmmm...I can get paid a couple more bucks to try and win "The Big One" and get my body ground into pixie dust by Ndamukong Suh, JJ Watt and Vontaze Burfict or I can sit in a booth and watch them do it to that big fairy Roethlisberger? Seeeeee Ya !!!"

Not sure about the should have known it was over after not getting out of the preseason thing.  The awkwardness of the hit he took in that game would have injured anybody on the planet.  
Well, in my eyes the injuries he's had in the past coupled with his age were exactly what contributed to the awkwardness of that hit. He couldn't even protect himself from an awkward hit in a sliver of time during the preseason. Didn't bode well for being healthy for an entire season to me. He moves around the field like a 37yo..... for some reason.

Personally, I have no idea why anybody would want to go into broadcasting after your playing career. Tony Romo has probably at least 80,000,000+ in the bank I just can't fathom why you would ever want to work again.  Well, maybe not ever again but certainly not a high-pressure difficult job like being the lead analyst.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Personally, I have no idea why anybody would want to go into broadcasting after your playing career. Tony Romo has probably at least 80,000,000+ in the bank I just can't fathom why you would never want to work again.  Well, maybe not ever again but certainly not a high-pressure difficult job like being the lead analyst.
I think because they have been around football their whole lives. It lets them stay connected to the game. It's funny, two of my favorite analysts, who do a great job and I assume like what they do, are two ex-Cowboys, Aikman and Johnson. If you like to talk about football and you don't mind the game prep (which an ex-QB should have no problem with that), a broadcasting job could be a pretty sweet gig.

If anything, that just goes to show how useless this rating is if Romo is #1.  Just about all ratings and metrics favor "recent" QBs anyway because of the way the game is played now and rule changes.  Romo was never really considered one of the top QBs while playing.  He was selected second team All Pro once and to 4 Pro Bowls (which are almost meaningless now since the QBs going to the Super Bowl can't go and all the injury replacements - Alex Smith has made 2 Pro Bowls).  He gets a lot of love because of the way he played and the fact that he played for the Cowboys.  If he gets in, then Mark Brunell, Drew Bledsoe and Vinny T. need to go in first. 
But how can you say that!?  I mean, everyone knows 4th quarter points are the most important points. Right!? Right!?

I mean, a TD in the 4th quarter is worth, well, it's still 7 points but it's a MORE IMPORTANT 7 points!  Right!?

[/sarcasm at everyone over the years who overvalues 4th quarter stats]

Ok, sarcasm aside (and it wasn't directed at the previous poster), it isn't right to just assume others are wrong. No no, we need to PROVE they are wrong.

So I grabbed all regular season game results from 2014-2016. Why those years? Because that's 768 games and as PFR only displays them 100 at a time, 8 times cut and pasting was all I was willing to do to build the data set.

I calculated what percentage of their points winning and losing teams scored by quarter. 

Winners    Losers
Q1    21%    18%
Q2    30%    31%
Q3    21%    20%
Q4    27%    29%

First interesting thing, though not really the answer to my question... both Winning and Losing teams score the largest percentage of their points in Q2.  Followed by Q4.  Then Q3, and finally Q1 (including Winners if you go out an extra decimal spot to break the tie).

But the interesting thing is comparing each quarter's percentages between the two sides. Winning teams score a higher percentage of their points in Q1 and Q3 than the percentage of points that Losers score in those quarters. But Losers score a higher percentage of their points in Q2 and Q4 than do Winners.

Ok, in truth that doesn't totally prove that 4th quarter points are overblown. But it mildly supports it anyway.

Winners    Losers
Q1    21%    18%
Q2    30%    31%
Q3    21%    20%
Q4    27%    29%

First interesting thing, though not really the answer to my question... both Winning and Losing teams score the largest percentage of their points in Q2.  Followed by Q4.  Then Q3, and finally Q1 (including Winners if you go out an extra decimal spot to break the tie).
Q2 and Q4 should outscore Q1 and Q3 because of the clock rules.  Extra stoppages near the ends of halves mean more plays and opportunities to score.  Plus the fact that teams will cut drives short to get points due to time running out, while at the end of Q1 or Q3 they won't, for instance, kick a FG on 1st down just because there are only 3 seconds left...

Q2 over Q4 actually makes sense too, when you factor in the time-soaking drives from teams with significant leads.

Not sure there's anything to distill from these stats as far as relative value of scoring by quarter.  (Which I think was part of your point...)

But how can you say that!?  I mean, everyone knows 4th quarter points are the most important points. Right!? Right!?

I mean, a TD in the 4th quarter is worth, well, it's still 7 points but it's a MORE IMPORTANT 7 points!  Right!?

[/sarcasm at everyone over the years who overvalues 4th quarter stats]

Ok, sarcasm aside (and it wasn't directed at the previous poster), it isn't right to just assume others are wrong. No no, we need to PROVE they are wrong.

So I grabbed all regular season game results from 2014-2016. Why those years? Because that's 768 games and as PFR only displays them 100 at a time, 8 times cut and pasting was all I was willing to do to build the data set.

I calculated what percentage of their points winning and losing teams scored by quarter. 

Winners    Losers
Q1    21%    18%
Q2    30%    31%
Q3    21%    20%
Q4    27%    29%

But the interesting thing is comparing each quarter's percentages between the two sides. Winning teams score a higher percentage of their points in Q1 and Q3 than the percentage of points that Losers score in those quarters. But Losers score a higher percentage of their points in Q2 and Q4 than do Winners.

Ok, in truth that doesn't totally prove that 4th quarter points are overblown. But it mildly supports it anyway.
I think Tim Tebow had a 110 4th Quarter QBR but that doesn't make him a good QB.  Now he can't even get a job holding a clipboard in the NFL.

Here's an interesting article: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/10/09/romo-has-great-4th-qtr-stats-doesnt-make-him-clutch/

The author basically broke down games from 2012 in the 4th quarter and found "In a game they are trailing by a score, he's good.  In a game they are trailing by more than one score, he's fantastic.  In a game they are tied or leading in, he is absolutely incapable of either giving them a lead or putting the game out of reach."

I actually like Tony Romo and think he was a competent QB but there are people thinking he belongs in the HOF - craziness!!!

Winners    Losers
Q1    21%    18%
Q2    30%    31%
Q3    21%    20%
Q4    27%    29%

Q2 and Q4 should outscore Q1 and Q3 because of the clock rules.  Extra stoppages near the ends of halves mean more plays and opportunities to score.  Plus the fact that teams will cut drives short to get points due to time running out, while at the end of Q1 or Q3 they won't, for instance, kick a FG on 1st down just because there are only 3 seconds left...

Q2 over Q4 actually makes sense too, when you factor in the time-soaking drives from teams with significant leads.

Not sure there's anything to distill from these stats as far as relative value of scoring by quarter.  (Which I think was part of your point...)
Well like I said, which quarter teams score the most in was interesting. But it doesn't really shed light on which quarter's points are the most VALUABLE. Value as in value towards winning the game. Winners and losers both score more points in the 4th quarter, than in the 3rd or 1st.  You can't draw even a weak inference as to how 4th quarter points affects who won the game from that fact since looking at from that standpoint, winners and losers are identical.

The latter was more to the question being asked. If 4th quarter points are the most valuable, then why do losing teams have a higher percentage of their points fall there than winning teams? Also as I said, it's not exactly proof. Can you draw an inference from it? Yes, if losing teams are getting a higher percentage of their points there than are winning teams, you might infer 4th quarter points won't correlate well with winning. I don't think it's a particularly strong inference though. (Because you can make a good point that just because a higher percentage of Losing team points come from there doesn't mean it's enough to make up that the winning team scored more over the course of the game).

A better argument, would be that teams who are winning have advantages in how they play defense and offense to try to reach the end of the game still ahead. In other words, early points might allow you to limit opponent points overall, or even just in some cases limit them in ways particular to a game's particular score and time situation in a way that enhances chances of winning more than the same points in the 4th would have. Can scoring more early cause the opponent's offense to become one dimensional?  Would a defensive coordinator have better options play-calling with a lead than trailing? Does having a lead from more early points let you decide what the trade off should be between surrendering more points vs how much time you make the opponent use up based on the defense you play?  I think the answer to all of those is yes, and they all are advantages of scoring early.  I think we can all agree that late points do not have a similar effect on things which already transpired early in the game.

Or another simple argument I'd make, I'll let your team score 100, all in the 4th quarter, if you let my team score 101, all in the first quarter. Obviously you won't take that deal, because 4th quarter points aren't even 1/100 more valuable than first quarter points on the final scoreboard. So if late points do not count more on the scoreboard, and being ahead gives the leading team advantages in play calling and clock strategy, and scoring late doesn't impact the early game, then what extra value could it have?

What it comes down to, I think, is either people get caught up in drama where since the late game points were more exciting to them, they just take for granted that they must be worth more somehow. Or for some, maybe it's thinking that because there is less time to change the outcome now the points matter more somehow. Which overlooks that it was the early points that dictated the current game situation that has to be overcome. They contributed every bit as much to the final outcome.

According to Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman, "most teams" think former Cowboys QB Tony Romo "will be back to play again sooner than later."
Freeman spoke to "several front office executives" who said if their starting quarterbacks get hurt, Romo will be the first call they make looking for a replacement. Romo has everything going for him. He doesn't have to practice right now and grind through a training camp, while also knowing he has a check coming from CBS Sports and can come back to the game at any time. Still just 37, Romo, despite multiple back problems, likely has 2-3 good years left.

Source: Bleacher Report 
May 31 - 1:35 PM

Users who are viewing this thread