What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wife rant (1 Viewer)

shadyridr said:
I leave for work at 630am. My wife leaves at 715 to drive my son to camp and then heads to work.

7:15 I get a call (CALL #1) that the tire sensor on her car is low. I say ok, goto gas station and fill it with air.

15 min later she calls again (CALL #2) and says she thinks she may have a flat, she'll bring it to station to repair and just be late to work. I said ok.

15 min later I get another call (CALL #3) to tell me there is an hour wait. I said ok you have no choice unless you want to wait for roadside assistance later.

Hour later she calls (CALL #4) and says of course its not that simple. They can't take tire off (not sure what the issue was, I didn't care). They can try and repair tire while its still on the car but have to bring back car to fix the issue because its going to be 2 hours to fix. She starts yelling at ME that she has no way of getting home (I am at work) if she leaves it, she now has to take an unplanned day off work, why cant I do it tomorrow (I took off tomorrow because my son doesn't have camp). I said, ok so you want ME to take it tomorrow and wait 2 hours with our son because I wont have any way to get home either (since she will be at work). I told her we will either bring it back in on Saturday or take an Uber home.

She hangs up disgusted at ME because she has to take the day off work.

So somehow a flat tire on MY WIFE'S car turned into 4 phone calls and her being pissed at ME all before 9am today! Yay me!
Have not rad past the OP.  Has anyone suggested a hug fight?

I work about a block away from a grocery store.  My wife has a thing for this fancy bread - like $7/loaf stuff - that is made locally.  She calls me this morning and asks/tells me to see if the fancy bread is at the grocery.  I tell her I'm busy with work and will try to get there in the next hour.  Silence.  So I head over right quick.  No bread.  She calls me again this afternoon saying she's sure the bread is there because they usually deliver it at 1:30 so go check, now.  She then says she only wants the bread with berries or fruit and to not buy anything else.  I get there and there's only one loaf of this wheat bread left.  I send a text - no bread - as I'm walking back to the office.  I get back to the office and she calls, asking "Was there any bread?"  I say "Not with berries or fruit. Only some wheat bread"  In a huff, she says "Go buy the wheat bread!"

Three trips to the grocery store for one loaf of the wrong bread and I'm still in the dog house.  
You need to anticipate her next move. When she said "only berries or fruit" you should have asked:

1. if they only have wheat, do you want me to buy the wheat bread?

2. Are you sure?

3. I mean, seriously, are you absolutely sure you wouldn't want the wheat bread?

4. Do you promise not to be upset with me if it turns out that the wheat bread is the only option?

5. Do you promise not to tell me to go back to the store for the third time to get the wheat bread?

6. Also, if they have bread with berries AND bread with other fruit, which do you prefer? Please give me a detailed list your fruit preferences, in order from most to least.

But that's something in your control.   This reminds me of the person that pays stuff at the store with check b/c they can't control their credit card spending.   Just today I was glad I had my cellphone at work b/c it allowed me to watch the british open.   
To an extent, but judging by the number of people glued to their screens when they should be doing something else, a large percentage of the population doesn't. And if you're really invested in the potential for an emergency, you might even check a text while driving, for example, and actually make things worse by causing an accident. 

And no, viewing the British Open doesn't constitute an emergency, nor effective use of your time at work.

So they know to call 911 in a real emergency insted of dad/spouse/whatnot. That's good. 
Hopefully. But often people make unnecessary calls, delaying emergent medical care, for example.

I question the premise that ubiquitous phones add much to safety, rather, they make people feel safer.

I work about a block away from a grocery store.  My wife has a thing for this fancy bread - like $7/loaf stuff - that is made locally.  She calls me this morning and asks/tells me to see if the fancy bread is at the grocery.  I tell her I'm busy with work and will try to get there in the next hour.  Silence.  So I head over right quick.  No bread.  She calls me again this afternoon saying she's sure the bread is there because they usually deliver it at 1:30 so go check, now.  She then says she only wants the bread with berries or fruit and to not buy anything else.  I get there and there's only one loaf of this wheat bread left.  I send a text - no bread - as I'm walking back to the office.  I get back to the office and she calls, asking "Was there any bread?"  I say "Not with berries or fruit. Only some wheat bread"  In a huff, she says "Go buy the wheat bread!"

Three trips to the grocery store for one loaf of the wrong bread and I'm still in the dog house.  
Buy a sack of flour and some berries.  Leave it on the counter with a recipe card.  She can have 3 or 4 loaves in under an hour for the same $7.  Before you do this, make sure you own a comfortable couch.

😳 Forreals? Oil change, $500???
No. I was exaggerating. But, they pass the cost of those amenities on to the customer. I don't take my car to the dealership for oil changes. (usually do them myself)  I took the Subie in because it was near the end of the 36k warranty and wanted to have a couple things checked and any recalls fixed. 

I am convinced that had my wife had a more reliable car when we met that we would never have gotten together.  My willingness to respond to her calls for what she thought were emergencies when her ride failed convinced her I would be a good spouse.  I got into her pants because I was willing to change her tire on a dangerous overpass and to get her moving again so that she was not late to some appointment or obligation now long forgotten.

I still respond when she calls. the thing is we have as part of our insurance towing and roadside assistance.  There is a window tag on her driver's side window with the number.  There is a card in her glove box with the number,  there is a card on her visor with the number, but she just does not seem to remember they are there when she gets stranded. Being and experienced married guy I never remind her of those things during the incident or the next few days.  That would be a rookie error.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: SWC
No. I was exaggerating. But, they pass the cost of those amenities on to the customer. I don't take my car to the dealership for oil changes. (usually do them myself)  I took the Subie in because it was near the end of the 36k warranty and wanted to have a couple things checked and any recalls fixed. 
Sadly, while  I know it is wrong, I fight those same tendencies in myself.  My parents kept a trunk (litterally an old metal trunk) full of some items from my childhood.  It was kept in my closet as a kid, and I would go through it occasionally to re minis.  Unfortunately I think that activity coded my brain to become sentimentally attached to physical items I think.  It's a struggle.

I guess I have to take back what I've said in this thread.  Yesterday morning when I told my wife she should have taken this job, and then she explained the whole situation, I told her she should reach out and see if she still had a shot.  She did, and they gave her an interview this morning.  They were in the process of deciding between two candidates the hiring panel couldn't agree on.  She interviewed, and was offered the job same day.  Cha. Ching.

At yeast you tried.  :shrug:

I guess I have to take back what I've said in this thread.  Yesterday morning when I told my wife she should have taken this job, and then she explained the whole situation, I told her she should reach out and see if she still had a shot.  She did, and they gave her an interview this morning.  They were in the process of deciding between two candidates the hiring panel couldn't agree on.  She interviewed, and was offered the job same day.  Cha. Ching.
I mean, the fact that you weren't in the loop at all initially is still a complaint that stands. 

I'm glad it worked out for you guys in the end, hopefully she's happy leaving a place where she's currently so comfortable. 

Do I get a tip for starting this thread and starting this chain of events?

I mean, the fact that you weren't in the loop at all initially is still a complaint that stands. 

I'm glad it worked out for you guys in the end, hopefully she's happy leaving a place where she's currently so comfortable. 
True.  We will be having a thorough discussion on that issue at some point in the near future.

Do I get a tip for starting this thread and starting this chain of events?
Yes.  Next time you are in the Twin Cities i'll buy you a brew.  This is ironically similar to a few years ago, I started a thread complaining about my MIL, who had been living with us for three + years.  Within two months of starting that thread she moved out.

I guess I need to start more threads (or jump on others coattails).

:hifive:

Sounds like your concerns were absolutely valid. If you hadn’t stepped in after she sort of mentioned it in passing then she would have let a 50% raise go right out the window. Congrats to you on a job well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 50% raise for Mrs Dozier.  She still makes less than me.  So a less than 25% percent raise for the family (still nothing to shake a stick at).
So she now makes close to what you make.

0.25*(x+y)=0.5*x or 0.25y=0.25x

Nothing wrong with it being close. I make more salary wise but less with the stock grants and I couldn’t be any happier. I’ve been the bread winner for 20 years (half as only income) and I’d be fine sliding into the recliner in the next few years! Girl power.

But did she take it?

Wife praise here:

I was involved in a 4 car pile up (not my fault) on the freeway today.  Fortunately, not much damage to my car (as I far as I know so far) and I’m fine.

It was about an hour out of town in the middle of nowhere. My wife worked the phones with Geico, the tow company, and car dealership like a champion while I was busy with other drivers and CHP.  

The whole thing was a giant PITA but without my wife I’d probably be on the shoulder of the 99 in a fetal position as we speak.

If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him... is he still wrong?

I fight this with my wife over my 14 year old.  He's a good kid, but wants his hair a bit longer than the wife likes.  The talk about haircuts is prevalent.  I respond that he should be able to enjoy his hair while he has it and remind her what her father's genes will cause.  It's an unassailable point, which makes her even a bit more emphatic about the whole thing.
Her father's genes wouldn't impact him, it's passed down through the mother (at least, that's the popular belief so it must be true).

He should look at his mother's brothers, or his maternal great-uncles.

Wife put a camelbak away in a closet. She put some more stuff in it about two days ago. Yesterday she goes to grab the stuff she put in out again and it is all wet. She takes it downstairs and puts it on the drying rack. Nothing ruined, we are all good. 

Today she goes to put the stuff back in the closet. Rather than remove camelbak and empty the damn thing, like she should have in the first place, she put it down one shelf. 

Guess what happened to all the stuff on that shelf? 

Well the stuff on that shelf is old as dirt and we havent used it pretty much ever. Great opportunity to throw it away. Nope. 100 great baby purees recipe book, seek a boo, curious george meets a hoarder, baby flash cards, and various other random things are down on tge clothes drying rack. And my weight bench. And my work bench. 

At least the camelbak is finally on the electric dryer that is specifically for hydration packs. I can already tell i will have to replace the tube again since it is loaded with mildew. 

we just had a torrential rainstorm pass through. high winds, lightning, trees bending, etc.

i went out to clean up the #### that fell in our yard. while i'm outside my wife pokes her head out the door

w: hey, do you think it's going to rain later?

m: i have no idea

w: well, weren't you watching the news?

m: like 45 minutes ago. and it was all about what was happening right now

w: oh. so is it going to rain later?

m: no idea. aren't you watching tv? holding a smartphone and an iPad?

w: yeah

m: why don't you check the weather on one of those

w: because (her friend) called and she asked me if it was going to rain later

m: ok?

w: :mellow:

m: what do you want me to do? can't one of you check the weather from your phone or computer??

w: well.. yeah.. but we weren't sure if it was going to rain and you know stuff like that

m: i'm outside. without a computer. cleaning up the yard. you are holding a smartphone & an iPad with a tv on in the background. so is (her friend). why don't you use one of those devices to check the weather and decide?

w: (slams door)

Wife put a camelbak away in a closet. She put some more stuff in it about two days ago. Yesterday she goes to grab the stuff she put in out again and it is all wet. She takes it downstairs and puts it on the drying rack. Nothing ruined, we are all good. 

Today she goes to put the stuff back in the closet. Rather than remove camelbak and empty the damn thing, like she should have in the first place, she put it down one shelf. 

Guess what happened to all the stuff on that shelf? 

Well the stuff on that shelf is old as dirt and we havent used it pretty much ever. Great opportunity to throw it away. Nope. 100 great baby purees recipe book, seek a boo, curious george meets a hoarder, baby flash cards, and various other random things are down on tge clothes drying rack. And my weight bench. And my work bench. 

At least the camelbak is finally on the electric dryer that is specifically for hydration packs. I can already tell i will have to replace the tube again since it is loaded with mildew. 
I'm just going with 

Wut?

So she now makes close to what you make.

0.25*(x+y)=0.5*x or 0.25y=0.25x

Nothing wrong with it being close. I make more salary wise but less with the stock grants and I couldn’t be any happier. I’ve been the bread winner for 20 years (half as only income) and I’d be fine sliding into the recliner in the next few years! Girl power.
I didn't think this thread was about math.  I said less than 25% raise, but yes she is now a lot closer to me in salary.  She asked at one point how I would feel if she made more than e (it's never even been in the realm of possibility before) and I said I was totally fine with it.  Especially if she made enough so that I could stop working.  I have no problems if she wants to be my sugar momma.

But did she take it?
Yes.  Making it rain stage soon to engage.

Wife praise here:

I was involved in a 4 car pile up (not my fault) on the freeway today.  Fortunately, not much damage to my car (as I far as I know so far) and I’m fine.

It was about an hour out of town in the middle of nowhere. My wife worked the phones with Geico, the tow company, and car dealership like a champion while I was busy with other drivers and CHP.  

The whole thing was a giant PITA but without my wife I’d probably be on the shoulder of the 99 in a fetal position as we speak.
:liked: but off topic.

Are there still men who would care if their wife made more than them? I mean I know these people exist. But are there any here in the FFA and willing to post about it?

I am very passive and have been making it a point to speak up on crap like this. All joking aside for someone as passive as me, this scenario would cause me to talk to her about not treating me like #### and acting like a child when she is unhappy and taking her anger out on me.
Are you the wife or the husband?

Are there still men who would care if their wife made more than them? I mean I know these people exist. But are there any here in the FFA and willing to post about it?
I’m sure there are way more than you think. I care more about not working than it somehow hurting my ego. 

:hey: My wife makes $200k+ as a CPA. I never made much, and I am currently a stay-at-home Mr. Mom. When I switched from working, she made less, but more than me.

I have no problems if she wants to be my sugar momma.
In my case it would never happen unless I quit, but the thought of not doing 55-65 per week every week is very appealing.  I've had 2 days off this year and had 66hrs on my timesheet last week.  This #### is getting old quick.

Users who are viewing this thread