What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will the exodus from big cities that occurred during the pandemic persist or reverse?  (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
https://wirepoints.org/more-data-and-opinion-on-the-exodus-from-chicago-and-other-big-cities-wirepoints/

I'm not prepared to make any major assessments from this data, but I did find it interesting. 

The graphs and heat maps offer some insight into where people are moving to these days.

Will the exodus from big cities that occurred the pandemic persist or reverse? The  final verdict isn’t in, but some new insights are provided by Allconnect. That’s a tech company that assists people moving by finding the right internet provider at their destination.

Their data team analyzed 70 million United States Postal Service residential change-of-address requests from 2019 and 2020 to evaluate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on moving trends. The also recently published a report nicely summarizing a number of opinions from various experts, and I connected with them to get some further insights on Chicago.

One thing clear at the outset is that people indeed fled big cities during the pandemic, and Allconnect provided the following chart to illustrate.

I don’t know which big wig of what company was on the news yesterday - which is not very helpful - but he said he’s not paying NY salaries for people to live in Colorado - and his employees need to start showing up in the ny office regularly.

Salary will be a key stumbling block in the exodus

I never heard of either WirePoints or Allconnect.

And I have heard nothing about "exodus from big cities that occurred during the pandemic"

Somehow I doubt these are credible sources.

Along these lines, should we be building new cities to replace the old?  

now you could say we are effectively building new cities all the time

Should we be building a Chicago replacement in IL - or the Midwest - to leverage better technology and advancements

I don’t know which big wig of what company was on the news yesterday - which is not very helpful - but he said he’s not paying NY salaries for people to live in Colorado - and his employees need to start showing up in the ny office regularly.

Salary will be a key stumbling block in the exodus
It sort of makes sense. 

They were kicking around a work from home tax, but I dont know the current status of that.

I never heard of either WirePoints or Allconnect.

And I have heard nothing about "exodus from big cities that occurred during the pandemic"

Somehow I doubt these are credible sources.
NYC had a reduction for sure during the pandemic. The thing that drew people to the city was having life at their fingertips. When the pandemic shut everything down and people were forced to pay massive rents to live in small apartments and nothing open within walking distance, they started moving away.

Working from home has changed big city landscapes.

The exodus from Chicago is real and some portion was in effect pre pandemic.  Companies were moving headcount out to reduce expense.  I am sure the pandemic upped the exodus.

and maybe the shootings

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the gainers from the graph, not sure TX would be on my wish list.  Unstable power and horrid heat.  The one i am going to look up is Cary NC

Should we be building a Chicago replacement in IL - or the Midwest - to leverage better technology and advancements
I'm on board with that. The big cities are based on historical logistics that we've moved past to a certain extent.

If internet or logistic hub cities pop up in middle america, I think that would only be a good thing. 

Permanent, and I expect that to accelerate as the quality of life in these large cities continues to plummet.

The exodus from Chicago is real and some portion was in effect pre pandemic.  Companies were moving headcount out to reduce expense.  I am sure the pandemic upped the exodus.
The article suggests otherwise.   And while some companies were moving out of the city, others were moving in.

That said, Chicago / Cook County is a complete trainwreck.  The corruption and ineptitude here is painful to see firsthand.   I need to spend 5 more years here until my kids are out of school, and then I'm out of here.

Edit to add from the article, about Chicago:   "Over the last ten years, the city lost only 3,000 people according to earlier census estimates, the losses all occurring in the last six years."     3,000 people is rounding error in Chicago.

NYC had a reduction for sure during the pandemic. The thing that drew people to the city was having life at their fingertips. When the pandemic shut everything down and people were forced to pay massive rents to live in small apartments and nothing open within walking distance, they started moving away.

Working from home has changed big city landscapes.
And where is this proof of the so-called exodus?

If I sell my house, I hope it continues.  I would think the real estate/rent prices will drop some in the cities, making them more attractive.  Tough call here, depends on the city.  My area is chock-full of Chicagoans already for the weekend.

The article suggests otherwise.   And while some companies were moving out of the city, others were moving in.

That said, Chicago / Cook County is a complete trainwreck.  The corruption and ineptitude here is painful to see firsthand.   I need to spend 5 more years here until my kids are out of school, and then I'm out of here.

Edit to add from the article, about Chicago:   "Over the last ten years, the city lost only 3,000 people according to earlier census estimates, the losses all occurring in the last six years."     3,000 people is rounding error in Chicago.
Chicago is bankrupt and has been for at least a decade.  As far as I know they can't print currency (maybe when Daley was in there they could have).  When this blows up and the pension checks stop this place will be a ghost town.  It's just a matter of time.

Easily the worst managed place in the US.

I grew up in cook co. My dad has left and my mom will soon. The cost of living has outpaced the resourcefulness.

What part of the city do you live in?  My family is from River Forest.

People are fleeing NYC like rats off a sinking ship.  My home in CT has increased in value by about 25% in the past year.  Hopefully the people moving South don’t take their Liberal policies with them.

Welcome to Chicago.   I've had 3 friends/co-workers mugged in the past month.  Good times.
I’m going to check out Wrigleyville and some other parts of the city for the first time in a while soon.  I’ll be curious to see what everything looks like.  

Would be interesting as most cities were big because of waterways to connect to other places. Is that necessary any longer?

No, but what number do you consider to qualify as an exodus?
I would consider the top reduction in population in the us to be an exodus. The % might be different from year to year, but clearly people are leaving the big cities.

We can argue why or we can argue semantics.

People are fleeing NYC like rats off a sinking ship.  My home in CT has increased in value by about 25% in the past year.  Hopefully the people moving South don’t take their Liberal policies with them.
Not sure this is a great barometer.  I live in a big city and our housing prices are up over that.  I sold recently and am looking to buy a new home. 25-30 bidders on every home I go after.  

I would consider the top reduction in population in the us to be an exodus. The % might be different from year to year, but clearly people are leaving the big cities.

We can argue why or we can argue semantics.
And you have proof this is tied to COVID?

And you have proof this is tied to COVID?
The NYC portion almost surely is.

You pay crazy rates to live in NYC because you can walk to anything you desire. 

When telework became a norm and everything fun to do was closed because of covid protocols, NYC became less attractive to reside in. 

No one wants to pay 2,500 a month for a small apartment in a big city with nothing open on their off time and being forced to work from home. 

The NYC portion almost surely is.

You pay crazy rates to live in NYC because you can walk to anything you desire. 

When telework became a norm and everything fun to do was closed because of covid protocols, NYC became less attractive to reside in. 

No one wants to pay 2,500 a month for a small apartment in a big city with nothing open on their off time and being forced to work from home. 
And your proof of this great exodus is...?

Note :  dubious sources = anything that disagrees with the liberal orthodoxy.
It really ruins the thread when terms like “exodus” are used. The population decline in cities is an interesting topic. Hyperbolic terms like “mass exodus” results in all this silliness.

5%? 10%? 25%?

You were the one to call it an exodus, you should be able to give us some ballpark percentage number (which you have yet to).
Come on man... I mean what did they lose a full percentage point or 2?

are you arguing that this wasnt a mass loss and just a loss? 

It really ruins the thread when terms like “exodus” are used. The population decline in cities is an interesting topic. Hyperbolic terms like “mass exodus” results in all this silliness.
Do you think % is a better value than total? 

Users who are viewing this thread