What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will the exodus from big cities that occurred during the pandemic persist or reverse?  (1 Viewer)

Note :  dubious sources = anything that disagrees with the liberal orthodoxy.
Please don't lump everyone in with this, I'm not aware of any liberal orthodoxy regarding population stats.  

What's so bizarre is that the anecdotal evidence strongly matches up with the stats from these "dubious sources."  I personally know dozens and dozens of friends and colleagues who left NYC in the pandemic and have zero plan to return.   Simple google searches bring up article after article.  It's not like this is a new concept.  So weird to see someone question the stats.

@Max Power I really don't like your sources so I disagree with your premise.  I don't have any sources that to support me contesting your sources, but you're still wrong.
Ok, so... which part is wrong? 

I'm not gung ho on any "big cities bad narrative" 

But I think it's hard to deny that big cities lost a bit of appeal once social distancing became a thing

Do you think % is a better value than total? 
If you are comparing cities of different populations, then yes.

I’ll ask you, if there was this exodus from Chicago, why would its housing market be doing so well? I don’t doubt there is a population decline. That has been a trend. It’s minor though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, the sources you posted I have never ever heard of before today. 
This doesn't really help.   For sake of argument lets call the facts in these sources lies.  Okay?   Now lets consider whether or not the idea that people are moving away from cities or even simpler their offices?  Would Covid caused some of that to happen?   Of course.  Telecommuting to the office means you don't need to live as close anymore.  At least this would be a reasonable assumption.

So ignore the big cities aspect and just consider whether or not it makes sense to you that companies that started or greatly expanded "work from home" are going back.  Not just the one old schooler you saw on TV or heard on the radio, but overall in aggregate.  Is the 90's promise of "hoteling" (where the desks in an office are shared and you probably sign up for one in advanced when you need to be in the office) that happened on a large scale in 2020 going to stick or is everyone going back to the office?  If you owned office buildings are you stressing the "exodus" of companies renting because "work from home" is now the norm?

Ultimately these are the questions this thread is asking.  And since it is asking for predictions for the future source articles aren't really helpful other than to shape opinions.  Correct me if I am wrong @MaxPower  but this thread is asking "what do you see and hear around you" to point to this future.  Sure there is a bit of slant to the thread title but so what?  The questions seem interesting enough.

As for me I know that secured virtual desktops for employees to work from home permanently is happening in at least a few companies.  And I know office space rental leases are going to be allowed to expire as a result.   Whether this is happening "everywhere" or just in the few places where I have heard about it :shrug:   But maybe I'm wrong I think that is ultimately the point of this thread, "loaded" thread title or not.

I'd expect it to continue

the violence, crime, taxation, homeless issue, cost of living and constant threat of riots etc in urban area's make them very undesirable 

I'd expect it to continue

the violence, crime, taxation, homeless issue, cost of living and constant threat of riots etc in urban area's make them very undesirable 
There are many good places to live near big cities and not be in them.i live 40 miles north of Denver. What happens in Denver was no effect on me. Get all the benefits of living in Colorado without dealing with a big city. The place I live in is around 100k population. There are 3 are 4 cities around the same size close by.

There are many good places to live near big cities and not be in them.i live 40 miles north of Denver. What happens in Denver was no effect on me. Get all the benefits of living in Colorado without dealing with a big city. The place I live in is around 100k population. There are 3 are 4 cities around the same size close by.
This type of arrangement is perfect IMO.  I wouldn't want to live in a major city, but having easy access to one is great.

I lived all over Colorado - Grand Junction, Montrose, Glenwood Springs, Co Springs, Castle Rock, Arvada ..... the entire front range has turned urban, even your Fort Collins area

You are urban - aka metropolitan / micropolitan, not really rural

Right now I'm in an area considered urban too

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Metropolitan_and_Micropolitan_Statistical_Areas_(CBSAs)_of_the_United_States_and_Puerto_Rico%2C_Feb_2013.gif

I lived all over Colorado - Grand Junction, Montrose, Glenwood Springs, Co Springs, Castle Rock, Arvada ..... the entire front range has turned urban, even your Fort Collins area

You are urban - aka metropolitan / micropolitan, not really rural

Right now I'm in an area considered urban too

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Metropolitan_and_Micropolitan_Statistical_Areas_(CBSAs)_of_the_United_States_and_Puerto_Rico%2C_Feb_2013.gif
I did say I was only 40 miles from the city of Denver,  not 200 miles away.

I did say I was only 40 miles from the city of Denver,  not 200 miles away.
I know where 40 miles north of Denver is ... I know Erie, Longmont and Loveland ... all of it. Had a job in Fort Morgan set up but the salary wasn't good enough. That would have been rural :)  

I know from Colorado Springs all the way up past Ft Collins is metro with a few open spaces of nothing but in the past 20 years its exploded. When I first went, Castle Rock was a gas station and 25 north of Denver to Ft Collins was where you drove to see pronghorns ........ things have greatly changed

15% population increase in the last decade and, Colorado's Front Range is projected to grow by nearly 70 percent to reach a population of 6.3 mil- lion residents by 2040

Front range is urban now - most counties along it are considered metro

Isn’t Connecticut already blue? 
I guess. I was thinking more along red states most likely to be colonized blue. Florida, Texas and Georgia were the three that stood out to me. Georgia may have already switched but probably just a few years more to really count on it. But it's only a matter of time before one of Texas or Florida  turns blue. Probably Texas lots of people from blue states moving there.

I know where 40 miles north of Denver is ... I know Erie, Longmont and Loveland ... all of it. Had a job in Fort Morgan set up but the salary wasn't good enough. That would have been rural :)  

I know from Colorado Springs all the way up past Ft Collins is metro with a few open spaces of nothing but in the past 20 years its exploded. When I first went, Castle Rock was a gas station and 25 north of Denver to Ft Collins was where you drove to see pronghorns ........ things have greatly changed

15% population increase in the last decade and, Colorado's Front Range is projected to grow by nearly 70 percent to reach a population of 6.3 mil- lion residents by 2040

Front range is urban now - most counties along it are considered metro
OK would you consider those places you listed 

violence, crime, taxation, homeless issue, cost of living and constant threat of riots etc in urban area's make them very undesirable 

OK would you consider those places you listed 

violence, crime, taxation, homeless issue, cost of living and constant threat of riots etc in urban area's make them very undesirable 
Front range of Colorado absolutely. In face, I think every city I lived in was bad. The worst ones were Dallas, Minneapolis, Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago, St Louis .... but I mean like anywhere its not 100% of the geographical area of Chicago that's violent, right? 

In St Louis I actually lived in Maryland Heights, it wasn't bad. In Dallas, I lived on Harry Heines ... it was bad. Minneapolis I lived in Eden Prairie ............ but yes, the metro of those areas were violent, higher taxes, homeless wasn't bad then but is now, cost of living has soared as has "protest" violence etc

when I'm in western Kansas .... I don't see any of that

I'm leaving tomorrow for Lake Superior, northern Wisconsin. I don't fear anything going to the small town we're fishing out of. 

If I was going to Memphis I'd not feel safe or Chicago or Baltimore or NYC etc

Wouldn't it have been better to just lead with instead of half the posts in the thread arguing about the definition of mass exodus?
No, this was the same person yesterday who said to me:

"I really can't dumb this down anymore for you."

I was interested in the conversation - before the source debate - but i guess if the premise is wrong there’s no conversation

If you are comparing cities of different populations, then yes.

I’ll ask you, if there was this exodus from Chicago, why would its housing market be doing so well? I don’t doubt there is a population decline. That has been a trend. It’s minor though.
Isn't one of the issues the recent claim that investment firms are buying up the market. That could be the answer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/media/blackrock-investment-firms-killing-dream-home-ownership.amp

I don’t know which big wig of what company was on the news yesterday - which is not very helpful - but he said he’s not paying NY salaries for people to live in Colorado - and his employees need to start showing up in the ny office regularly.

Salary will be a key stumbling block in the exodus
I believe it was James Gorman,  Morgan Stanley CEO.   didn't see the live in Colorado part of it though.

I guess i’m more interested in the thought should we create new cities that are part of an advanced infrastructure.  Could we solicit major employers to anchor these new locations?  

maybe that wasn’t the original topic

One thing that seems at least somewhat plausible is that housing prices in cities will drop both because people have left residential spaces and because some office space will be converted to residences now that people are working from home more.  Lower prices could incentivize some people, especially younger adults, to move back into cities.

I guess i’m more interested in the thought should we create new cities that are part of an advanced infrastructure.  Could we solicit major employers to anchor these new locations?  

maybe that wasn’t the original topic
I think it's on the horizon. 

If musk can get this bullet train stuff up and running, that expands the distance people can commute.

Amazon delivers almost anywhere within days.

More people can work from home now.

Logistically we are getting closer to be able to sprout new cities. I think high speed internet is one of the biggest holdups currently. 

I think the sparkle of the big cities lights is really wearing off since covid. 

Areas like that have benefited.  I live 75 min from downtown Chicago.  The city people work from their second home here now and go to the city once a week.

Coming soon to wreck the city or area where YOU live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVwvpwpI7qY

Seriously, we need to force these people to live in the cities they helped destroy.  Now they're just going to ruin your city by voting for the same corrupt, deranged people and polices.  We need to prevent them from wrecking the good places.

Can we start a GoFundMe?

Users who are viewing this thread