What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will The Refs Be Waving Terrible Towels (2 Viewers)

I forget whose alias this is. Bryham? What I like is the defensive posture of Steelers fans when this is mentioned. If they felt like the game was truly officiated well we wouldn't see all the :cry: and :IBTL: posts because that wouldn't be necessary. They'd just say "whatever" and move on. Fact is it was a poorly officiated game and most neutral fans would agree.
I can agree that there were some suspect calls (on both sides). But to hear the #####ing and complaining after 3+ years is getting tiresome. To hear Seahawk fans say that they would have definitively won if not for some of the calls is ridiculous. The Hawks let up big plays and the Steelers capitalized. If I were a Hawk fan, I would lynch Stevens for DROPPING numerous key passes.
The Seahawks still had their chances and didn't execute, that is for sure. I don't know which Seahawks fans you are referring to but all I've ever said is the game would have been different in the end and could have gone either way. I think it would have been 21-17, 20-17, or 24-21 and could have went to OT. I take nothing away from the Steelers, in the end they did enough to win the game.
I can agree with this. :jawdrop:

I forget whose alias this is. Bryham? What I like is the defensive posture of Steelers fans when this is mentioned. If they felt like the game was truly officiated well we wouldn't see all the :cry: and :IBTL: posts because that wouldn't be necessary. They'd just say "whatever" and move on. Fact is it was a poorly officiated game and most neutral fans would agree.
:jawdrop: Steeler fans get over yourselves. The game was terribly officiated and likely gave you a Super Bowl you didn't otherwise deserve.

DJAX did push off
:towelwave: He made contact, but did not push off. Zero separation was created by the contact he made. And the flag came way late, and was thrown by an official who is from Pittsburgh (IIRC).
Stevens did hold.
That kind of blocking/holding happens on just about every single play from scrimmage, but ones that minor are almost never called.
A flag coming "late" does not mean anything. He reached right away and missed. Sometimes officials will also replay in their head what they saw to make sure of these things.
Yes, He missed - He missed the correct call

Does anyone disagree that was one of the worst officiated Super Bowls of all time? Note: I'm not a fan of either team and thus don't really care either way.
It was terrible, but there is no way to know the outcome had it been officiated well. It's not like it was so bad that Seattle would have definitively won.
Do you see anything above to indicate that I disagree with you?
Uhhhh... no. I was agreeing and adding more to my opinion.

Does anyone disagree that was one of the worst officiated Super Bowls of all time? Note: I'm not a fan of either team and thus don't really care either way.
It was terrible, but there is no way to know the outcome had it been officiated well. It's not like it was so bad that Seattle would have definitively won.
Do you see anything above to indicate that I disagree with you?
Uhhhh... no. I was agreeing and adding more to my opinion.
Ok. Carry on then. :no:

On this drive alone:

No intentional grounding call twice

A really bad roughing the passer call

A bad personal foul on Wilson when he barely touched the holder

NFL officiating has become a joke.

Yep, the Steelers have been the beneficiaries of some terrible calls once again. Even though it only led to three points, the multiple bad calls on that last drive enabled them to drain much of the 3rd quarter clock.

Once again, the NFL should be embarrassed.

This is one of the most one-sided officiated games as I've seen in years. Ridiculous calls consistently going against AZ.

Going off memory,

2 challenges needed by AZ. Both calls overturned.

3 personal fouls calls on 1 drive. All were questionable. A facemask call when the guy's head didnt turn a bit. A complete BS roughing call. And then the ridiculous running into the holder call when the guy was blocked into him. This is flat out embarrassing for the league.

Awful. Just plain awful.

This is a total joke and frankly not fair to either team. If Pitt wins, their legitimacy will once again be called into question. Not saying it's right, but it'll happen.

Doctor Detroit said:
A bad personal foul on Wilson when he barely touched the holder
DD - I'm with you generally, but Wilson plowed over the holder.
Honestly I can't remember ever seeing that penalty called. EVER.
Neither can I. But I've also never seen a dude steamroll the holder and then keep running over him toward the sideline.As I'm typing: that holding penalty on Roderick Hood, while technically correct, was a ticky-tack call. Absurd.

Good that they reviewed that Warner pass at the end.

The Warner INT was the difference in the end, Arizona should have won but didn't. Great catch by Holmes at the end, crappy game with a great 4th qtr.

The Warner INT was the difference in the end, Arizona should have won but didn't. Great catch by Holmes at the end, crappy game with a great 4th qtr.
I disagree. That shifted the momentum but the Cards got it back and basically all they had to do was stop a 90 yard drive. The INT did not lose the game, the Pit offense won the game.

Well Pittsburgh fans can't blame Seahawk fans for complaining. Since there are hardly no Cards fans here and there was a lot of complaining about the officiating once again, well you do the math.

I disagree. That shifted the momentum but the Cards got it back and basically all they had to do was stop a 90 yard drive. The INT did not lose the game, the Pit offense won the game.
It was a 10-14 point turn, you do the math.

Who is to say what would have happened had that play not taken place? My guess is as good as yours. It was absolutely a 10-14 point turn around at that point in the game, but it did not decide the game, IMO.

I definitely don't think it's a conspiracy or anything, but the Steelers benefited from the refs tonight.

Unlike last year, I can't say that the winning team played better. And that really sucks for the biggest game in sports.

Who is to say what would have happened had that play not taken place? My guess is as good as yours. It was absolutely a 10-14 point turn around at that point in the game, but it did not decide the game, IMO.
Ok. Who's to say that the roughing the passer penalty made the difference because Pittsburgh ended up getting a FG on that drive and the Cards may have run different plays on the last drive to get into FG position for the win. :own3d:

Ridgelake said:
This is one of the most one-sided officiated games as I've seen in years. Ridiculous calls consistently going against AZ.Going off memory,2 challenges needed by AZ. Both calls overturned.3 personal fouls calls on 1 drive. All were questionable. A facemask call when the guy's head didnt turn a bit. A complete BS roughing call. And then the ridiculous running into the holder call when the guy was blocked into him. This is flat out embarrassing for the league.
I don't know how you can dispute de facemask call. The roughing the passer was a terrible call, but it didn't make the difference in the game.Also, Harrison was held all game.

Wait a minute, you're complaining about the officiating?

If the refs were in the bag, there is no way Ben's TD is overturned. Also, there Hartwig is not called for holding, the completion to Holmes stands and the Steelers win easily.

You guys are delusional.

The roughing the passer call was awful, but sadly, it was consistent with how it's been called all year. The league/refs have gone way overboard on that.

Wait a minute, you're complaining about the officiating? If the refs were in the bag, there is no way Ben's TD is overturned. Also, there Hartwig is not called for holding, the completion to Holmes stands and the Steelers win easily.You guys are delusional.
Stealers fan?

Ok. Who's to say that the roughing the passer penalty made the difference because Pittsburgh ended up getting a FG on that drive and the Cards may have run different plays on the last drive to get into FG position for the win. :shrug:
That is actually my point. Anything is possible. If Pitt had run away with the game after the half, I would have agreed with the premise that the INT was the difference in the game. They did not, and not only did they not they actually nearly lost due to the Cardinals picking up their offense astonishingly well in the late stages of the game. The INT did not cause the downfall of the Cardinals by any stretch of the imagination, IMO.All highly subjective, clearly.

What really upsets me about this is a really great game is now tainted by terribly one-sided officiating. I still think the Steelers would've won the game, but I don't think the last AZ play was a fumble, and it was definitely close and important enough to have the field judge review it (whether the replay booth checked it or not, they definitely did not call down to the field for a review, which is an absolute joke.) In a brutal year for NFL officiating, this was probably an appropriate end to the season.

Yeah i think the whole point of the thread is that NFL officiating is not really very good right now, it's almost NBA-like which is bad. I agree the game wasn't decided in the end by bad officiating but that doesn't make what happened any better. That was 3 quarters of meh football with 14:45 of fantastic football and a weird call to end the game where we may have been robbed of a hail mary ending with Larry Fitrzgerald and Troy Palamalu. For the neutral fan which covers about 95 percent or more of those watching this game, that sucked.

Yeah i think the whole point of the thread is that NFL officiating is not really very good right now, it's almost NBA-like which is bad. I agree the game wasn't decided in the end by bad officiating but that doesn't make what happened any better. That was 3 quarters of meh football with 14:45 of fantastic football and a weird call to end the game where we may have been robbed of a hail mary ending with Larry Fitrzgerald and Troy Palamalu. For the neutral fan which covers about 95 percent or more of those watching this game, that sucked.
On that point, we agree 100%. :shrug:

Maybe I'm the only one here (other than Steelers fans), but I thought the refereeing was fine. The only terrible call was the Warner non-fumble early in the second half, which was overturned on challenge, so no harm no foul.

They undeniably did a great job keeping the bad blood from getting in the way of the game. Lots of chippy, even dirty play -- especially from Pittsburgh -- but it never got out of hand. With lots of crews this would have turned into a brawl, or a fist fight, by the end of the game.

thatguy said:
Awful. Just plain awful.

This is a total joke and frankly not fair to either team. If Pitt wins, their legitimacy will once again be called into question. Not saying it's right, but it'll happen.
Yup.

I don't get it, why would the refs have any bias for helping the Steelers? All NFL refs are Steelers fan? ...or maybe they were in the Super Bowl for a reason?

geez oh man i can't believe all the steeler haters and crybabies in here...the REFS LOOKED AT EVERY PLAY THAT NEEDED TO BE LOOKED AT AND EVEN REVERSED CALLS THAT NEEDED TO BE REVERSED...what more do you want???????????????????????

...move on people, this is one of the greatest steeler seasons of all-time and i know alot of you are hating that right now...sorry but it is what it is.....

watch harrisons runback. Hightower was clipped and wouldve made the friggin tackle.... THE REFS WERE WAIVING STEELERS TOWELS

Wait a minute, you're complaining about the officiating? If the refs were in the bag, there is no way Ben's TD is overturned. Also, there Hartwig is not called for holding, the completion to Holmes stands and the Steelers win easily.You guys are delusional.
Delusional? Ben's TD had to be challenged to be overturned, and the holding in the end zone was a take-down. And the facemask penalty would not only have been a 5-yard penalty ( if at all ) last year, and both players grabbed the other's facemask. At worst it should've been off-setting penalites. Definitely a poorly officiated game, no matter for whom you rooted.

Users who are viewing this thread