What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will the Steelers repeat? (1 Viewer)

Will Pittsburgh win Super Bowl XLI?

• Yes, they will be back-to-back champs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they'll lose in the playoffs

• No, they won't even make the playoffs

• Total voters

GoneTooFavre

Footballguy
I'm gonna say no, they'll lose in the playoffs. They lost 2 good starters and didn't really replace them well, plus I doubt they'll be as determined/motivated to win it again after the emotional run of "Do it for the Bus" in 2005.....

10-6 and a divisional round loss.....

Discuss. :boxing:

they have a very good team, but it's tough to repeat. Odds are against it, but who knows... :shrug:

Lifelong Steelers fan and season ticket holder. I voted they'll lose in the playoffs because it is very tough to repeat.

That said, I think they have as good a chance as anyone in the AFC to make it to the Super Bowl and I like the AFC's chances to win the Super Bowl better than the NFC's.

Oh, no question does the AFC have a huge advantage over the NFC. IMO if the 3 best NFC teams last year, Chicago, Seattle, and Carolina wer ein the AFC, Chicago and Carolina wouldn't make the playoffs, and Seattle wouldn't have gotten a 1st round bye.

I'm gonna say no, they'll lose in the playoffs. They lost 2 good starters and didn't really replace them well, plus I doubt they'll be as determined/motivated to win it again after the emotional run of "Do it for the Bus" in 2005.....

The odds are surely against repeating, and the motivation of playing for Jerome will also be gone. I can't say I agree with you about their personnel losses - they retained almost all of their free agents. They actually lost 3 starters (Randle-El, Hope, and von Oelhoffen) - but signing ryan Clark and re-upping Brett Keisel will ensure they have little to no drop off at S or DE. Replacing El won't be as easy - Cedrick Wilson slots nicely into his #2 role (he was actually better in that role, IMO, last year) but they need a third target. Washington? Young? Mays? Draft pick? We'll see.

Losing the Bus, Randle El, Hope and IIRC, there are some others, will be tough, but manageable. Playoffs may not be a lock for any team, but aside from Indy (loss of Edge makes that even debateable) I see no team with a better chance.

Still, I'm saying no, but I sure wouldn't bet against them.

not quite sure what you meant tategjs....was that a superbowlxl ref comment? if so, it's getting tiresome.....pittsburgh won the super bowl and seattle lost. there's questionable calls in almost every game.

I voted no because it is so tough to repeat but the team has heart, confidence, and talent. If they get to Miami I wouldn't be surprised.

The odds are surely against repeating, and the motivation of playing for Jerome will also be gone. I can't say I agree with you about their personnel losses - they retained almost all of their free agents. They actually lost 3 starters (Randle-El, Hope, and von Oelhoffen) - but signing ryan Clark and re-upping Brett Keisel will ensure they have little to no drop off at S or DE. Replacing El won't be as easy - Cedrick Wilson slots nicely into his #2 role (he was actually better in that role, IMO, last year) but they need a third target. Washington? Young? Mays? Draft pick? We'll see.
El is the really only serious loss other than Bettis. His versatility will be missed and he was a big reason they won the Super Bowl. However, the team is still good from top to bottom and they should win the division. I have a hard time picturing them repeating, but there's no reason why they can't.

I also voted no because it's so hard to repeat.

But then again the Patriots recently won 3 in 4 years... :unsure:

Yes, they will be back-to-back champs [ 15 ] ** [21.13%]

No, they'll lose in the playoffs [ 47 ] ** [66.20%]

No, they won't even make the playoffs [ 9 ] ** [12.68%]

15 Steelers fans have voted in this poll.

Yes, they will be back-to-back champs    [ 15 ]  ** [21.13%]

No, they'll lose in the playoffs  [ 47 ]  ** [66.20%]

No, they won't even make the playoffs  [ 9 ]  ** [12.68%]

If it were a bet I'd take the field over any single team to win the Super Bowl. However the Steelers do have the best record in the NFL over the past two seasons. They have only 3 starters over 30 (Hartings, Farrior & Townsend). Some of their best players are 25 or under:Roethlisberger

Polamalu

Ike Taylor

Heath Miller

Willie Parker

Bryant McFadden

If Roethlisberger can stay healthy they have as good a shot as any team to win it all. Their record the past two seasons has proven as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they will be back-to-back champs [ 15 ] ** [21.13%]

No, they'll lose in the playoffs [ 47 ] ** [66.20%]

No, they won't even make the playoffs [ 9 ] ** [12.68%]

Well, it's not like Pittsburgh is a mediocre team that only their fans would think could repeat...they're currently the reigning best team in the NFL.They lost a couple starters, but much of their improvement next season will come from their young key players, Roethlisberger, Parker, Miller, Polamalu, Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden becoming even better.

With those players improvement, (namely Roethlisberger's and Parker's...) I'm confident they'll have a very solid team. If they can keep their focused mindset they had in 2005, then they could have an extremely dominant team in 2006, more dominant than they were last year or in their 2004 15-1 season....

You don't get runs like that two years in a row. They won't even make the playoffs as they are likely due some bad luck after everything going right most of the past two years.

Brett Keisel will ensure they have little to no drop off at S or DE.
Keisel looks weak against the run. He may be able to get at the Qb a little better than Kimo, but a 3/4 DE's biggest job is to hold up against the run. Other than R.Seymour can you name any other 3/4 DE's that played the run better than Kimo?

like others have said,

it is extremely difficult to repeat in the current air of the game.

But the steelers still have a very solid team, definetly in the playoffs, but repeating is too tall of a task.

Not often I can vote that my team will repeat, so that was the obvious choice.

It is tough to repeat, but they have a shot. They are clearly a playoff team, and with Palmer not healthy - the team to beat in the division.

I think it would be difficult to project any team as the favorite coming out of the AFC; that conference is just stoked! Heck, the Chargers and Chiefs didn't even make the playoffs and they were two very good ball clubs.

I think the Steelers are going to surprise some people next season.....I don't see why it's so hard to imagine them repeating. They're the defending Super Bowl champions, which means they were the best team in the NFL in 2005. They lost 3 starters, but they adequately replaced at least 1 (Ryan Clark for Chris Hope) and their 3 core young offensive players, Ben, Willie Parker, and Heath Miller, should get better.

I'm not guaranteeing a repeat, but I'm confident that they'll continue to be dominant next year and at least show that they have as good a chance as anyone in the regular season.

I think the Steelers are going to surprise some people next season.....I don't see why it's so hard to imagine them repeating. They're the defending Super Bowl champions, which means they were the best team in the NFL in 2005. They lost 3 starters, but they adequately replaced at least 1 (Ryan Clark for Chris Hope) and their 3 core young offensive players, Ben, Willie Parker, and Heath Miller, should get better.

I'm not guaranteeing a repeat, but I'm confident that they'll continue to be dominant next year and at least show that they have as good a chance as anyone in the regular season.
So all the other players on all the other teams won't get better? Come on. They lost two important pieces of their Offense with Randle-El and Bettis. Things fell their way last year and it won't happen this year. They won't be as hungry as the teams chasing after them as history has shown us that it's tough to be on top. Besides why are we asking this question now? At least wait until after the draft where all teams will fill some of their holes.

I'm having trouble what people mean when they say that Pittsburgh "had things fall in place" or things "broke their way" in 2005. It's almost as if they're suggesting that Pittsburgh was just lucky, or that they didn't deserve it. They won it because they were the best team in the NFL.....so I don't see why it's that hard to picture them doing it again...

I'm having trouble what people mean when they say that Pittsburgh "had things fall in place" or things "broke their way" in 2005. It's almost as if they're suggesting that Pittsburgh was just lucky, or that they didn't deserve it. They won it because they were the best team in the NFL.....so I don't see why it's that hard to picture them doing it again...
Well let me clear it up for you...There are people who hate the Steelers...

those people refuse to give credit where credit is OBVIOUSLY due...

and those same people will go to their graves insisting the Steelers "cheated"...

That's where you're getting the negative Steeler feedback.

B/c of the SB this year, I am convinced there is a large portion of this message board that desperately needs psychiatric help...desperately.

Voted that the Black n Gold will loose in the playoffs. Boy I hope they can repeat, but its just so tough to do in the modern NFL. Not only that, but the AFC is a virtual gauntlet to try and make it out of. I can see any 1 of 8 teams making it to the SB from the AFC and we haven't even had the draft yet!

Alright...the topic has slowed down a bit. :sleep: To get it rolling again here's new question.

What is the 2005 Steelers place in history? Just how good of a team will they be remembered as? What superstars on their team will be remembered throughout the next few decades? JUST HOW GOOD WERE THEY?

:scared:

Alright...the topic has slowed down a bit. :sleep: To get it rolling again here's new question.

What is the 2005 Steelers place in history? Just how good of a team will they be remembered as? What superstars on their team will be remembered throughout the next few decades? JUST HOW GOOD WERE THEY?

Steeler PollDoesn't look good.

can i lock or delete my own threads because this is just gonna turn into another officiating war topic...............which is not what I intended.

geezus guys I thought people were over this. Steelers won, Seahawks lost. Seattle had more than enough chances to win the game even if a call or 2 against them was bad. They certainly didn't do enough to win for anyone to claim that the game was stolen from them.

If Stevens hangs onto to 2 or 3 of his drops, then Seattle might've won it....his drops were always at key moments. If They had used better clock management at the end of either half, then they could've won it too. The Steelers choked a bit in the super bowl but seattle choked a lot more.

EDIT: I'm not even a Steelers fan like i said before but this whiny stuff is getting ridiculous. move on.

no way that the pos steelers will get their. big ben is a f**cking ######!

here we go brownies here we go cleveland is going to the super bowl!

I need bablefish for this thing.

Browns fans...... I'd disown this guy if were you. He's making you look even worse.

Alright...the topic has slowed down a bit.  :sleep: To get it rolling again here's new question.

What's weird is that every time I pop in my 2005 NFL Films DVD, the Steelers keep winning the Super Bowl.As the eminent sage Coach Fenstock once said, everything else is cream cheese.

Alright...the topic has slowed down a bit.  :sleep: To get it rolling again here's new question.

What's weird is that every time I pop in my 2005 NFL Films DVD, the Steelers keep winning the Super Bowl.As the eminent sage Coach Fenstock once said, everything else is cream cheese.
What is even weirder than that is, every time I pop in my 2003 NFL Films DVD, the Panters keep losing the Super Bowl too! :shock:

What is even weirder than that is, every time I pop in my 2003 NFL Films DVD, the Panters keep losing the Super Bowl too! :shock:
Precisely. Hence, 2005 Steelers > 2003 Panthers regardless of what a Shark Pool poll might say to the contrary.

Browns fans...... I'd disown this guy if were you. He's making you look even worse.
can they ban people for being idiots?

can they ban people for being idiots?
Don't be so harsh, I like having Dr. Detroit and Blue Onion around to fight with...

Precisely. Hence, 2005 Steelers > 2003 Panthers regardless of what a Shark Pool poll might say to the contrary.
Noted.Evilgrin 72's opinion > all other opinions combined

Yes, they will be back-to-back champs    [ 15 ]  ** [21.13%]

Well, it's not like Pittsburgh is a mediocre team that only their fans would think could repeat...they're currently the reigning best team in the NFL.
ROTFLMMFAO!!! :excited:

Noted.Evilgrin 72's opinion > all other opinions combined
Not really. It's more like :Lombardi Trophy > all other opinions combined.

If you want to argue that, have at it.

Yes, they will be back-to-back champs    [ 15 ]   ** [21.13%]

Well, it's not like Pittsburgh is a mediocre team that only their fans would think could repeat...they're currently the reigning best team in the NFL.
I don't need to defend this team, but just out of curiousity, what team is better? I mean, since Roethlisberger took over at QB, the only team that could even think about staking such a claim is New England.

Yes, they will be back-to-back champs    [ 15 ]   ** [21.13%]

They won the Super Bowl. Who ELSE would you consider the reigning best team in the league? :loco: BlueOnion, I guarantee you a lot of those votes in your silly poll where because Steeler fans just saw their team name under "best effort" category, and voted for their team thinking they were just being a homer. I know that's what I would've done at first....considering it really wasn't very clear at first that you only listed SB losers...and the Steelers.

The whining is getting unbearable. If you're going to try to discredit a champion because of questionable calls, then you'll have to do that to a lot of other teams.

The 2003 Patriots didn't deserve it. They did a ton of pass interferences on the Colts in the AFCCG and weren't flagged...AT HOME.

The 2001 Patriots. Tuck Rule.

1999 Rams, and the bad call on the Bucs in the NFCCG. He caught that ball.

1998 and 1997 Broncos. They "cheated" the salary cap.

1996 Packers. Patriots fans will tell you they KNOW they saw holding on Desmond Howard's TD return.

1995 Cowboys. Neil O'Donnell threw the game on purpose! He tossed it right to Larry Brown!

I could go back even further. Don't you see how ridiculous this is? You can't start discrediting the winning team because of a controversial thing. If you start doing that, you'd have to go back and discredit a LOT of other teams too.

Seattle had every possible chance to win that game. The only really questionable calls were the offensive pass interference on Jackson, and the holding on Sean Locklear. But SEATTLE STILL HAD THE BALL. Nothing was stopping them from just making another play or 2 and then scoring.

Stevens ruined the game for them. If he hangs onto 1 or 2 of his drops, they might win.

BlueOnion, I guarantee you a lot of those votes in your silly poll where because Steeler fans just saw their team name under "best effort" category, and voted for their team thinking they were just being a homer. I know that's what I would've done at first....considering it really wasn't very clear at first that you only listed SB losers...and the Steelers.
You fail to give my creativity it's due respect.
If you're going to try to discredit a champion because of questionable calls, then you'll have to do that to a lot of other teams.
Nobody can discredit a champion. The game was already played and the result is history. The point of conflict is the pro-Steeler fans who have a predetermined amount of respect they think their team is entitled too, and for whatever reason they are not getting it. :shrug: From my perspective, the whining is not coming from the anti-Steeler side.

BlueOnion, I guarantee you a lot of those votes in your silly poll where because Steeler fans just saw their team name under "best effort" category, and voted for their team thinking they were just being a homer. I know that's what I would've done at first....considering it really wasn't very clear at first that you only listed SB losers...and the Steelers.
If you're going to try to discredit a champion because of questionable calls, then you'll have to do that to a lot of other teams.
Nobody can discredit a champion. The game was already played and the result is history. The point of conflict is the pro-Steeler fans who have a predetermined amount of respect they think their team is entitled too, and for whatever reason they are not getting it. :shrug: From my perspective, the whining is not coming from the anti-Steeler side.
Riiiggghht. The endless references to the officiating and Palmer's injury don't count as whining. :rolleyes:

Oh please. Holmgren is a Steeler fan then, I guess. All the people making the mock photos of the ref with the terrible towel as a flag, the people making the mock championship ring with the asterisk, the people talking about the "Stealers"... they're all pro-Pittsburgh, right? Or do you really believe that any completely ambivalent observer with no bias towards or against either team really continued to dwell on the officiating in that game longer than a day or two.It's over, man, let it go. The trophy is in Pittsburgh no matter how much you want to try to sully the accomplishment or disparage the team.

The thing that really cracks me up is that the Steelers had to play the roughest slate of playoff games in the history of the NFL just to get out of the AFC and get to the Super Bowl in the first place. That gets conveniently ignored, and because they got the benefit of the referee's discretion on a couple of judgment calls (which were reviewed by the league and the officials' calls supported, by the way) - people feel the need to start polls comparing this team to Super Bowl LOSERS of the past.

Revisionist history, and done solely to get a rise out of Steeler fans. Boys, it's just jealousy.

:towelwave:

There have been controversial calls that people have said migth have impacted the outcome of the game in past Super Bowls, too.

When it's all said and done, in a few years, the referee issue will be gone and forgotten. The Steelers are the 2005 champions, and that will never change.

There's a reason why the NFL hasn't fired any referees or why no signs of repercussions have been dished out. And that's because the questionable calls, (pass int on Jackson, Ben's TD, and locklear's holding) were all JUDGEMENT CALLS. There's no possible way that you can look at any of those 3 calls and say with 100% certainty that the wrong call was UNDISPUTABLY made. In some people's or officials' eyes, it could go one way, in others' eyes, the other way.

They were all very close calls, but none can be proven wrong with absolute certainty, so therefore there were no "terrible" calls.

Users who are viewing this thread