What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wordle (1 Viewer)

Did Wordle today for the first time, after reading an article about it in today's NYT.  Was harder than I expected.  Got this one in five moves and don't know if that's pretty good or pretty bad.
I’m on day 4.  I’m 4/4 with two 4’s and two 5’s.  I was really worried I wouldn’t get todays after my 4th guess.

I also did it for the first time today.  Took me four.

Question for the more experienced.  Do your entries for each line need to be actual words?  It occurs to me that knowing the vowels in the word is the most useful thing you can learn from the first line, so I'd be tempted to just put "A E I O U"  (or probably "A I O U E" since I'd like to know if any E were in the most likely position).  If I could do that, I could do the standard popular consonants in the second line ("S T M N L"  or something) and probably have a good idea where I'm going.

Question for the more experienced.  Do your entries for each line need to be actual words?  It occurs to me that knowing the vowels in the word is the most useful thing you can learn from the first line, so I'd be tempted to just put "A E I O U"  (or probably "A I O U E" since I'd like to know if any E were in the most likely position).  If I could do that, I could do the standard popular consonants in the second line ("S T M N L"  or something) and probably have a good idea where I'm going.
I dont think so

Yes.  Needs to be a real word.

Yep, has to be a real word.  As mentioned, I have only played it 4 times but I have a couple of initial words that seem like optimal starting words. 

Got to be real words. Start every game with ouija. Gets you most of the way there. 

Truthfully though I think I’ve started every game with a different word. It’s a fun game. Will try hard mode tomorrow. 

So I guess I'd start with something like "abide" or "abode."    Something with three vowels and the E at the end.  Maybe "atone" as T would be more common than B.
Arise would be pretty good. 

I think Wheel of Fortune starts off the final game with RSTLNE because they are the most used letters. Arise would give you 3 vowels along with 2 of the 3 most common consonants.

I definitely should have gotten it in 3 today.  I started with "STARE" which gave me the R in the right place and the E in the word.  I think used "CHURN" (probably a mistake to repeat the R, but it gave me the U. I actually forget way I put for the third word, but I don't think it gave me any new information.  From what I had, it became pretty clear the U would be in second position and the E in third position, though.  Having _UER_ made it an easy guess from there.  Neat little mind game.

Hmm. I do that anyway. I think it needs a timer or a longer word maybe. 
Yeah, I think my brain immediately defaults to hard mode because of some dumb show my mom and grandma always had on the game show network where you just kept changing one letter of the word.

I’m on day 4 and have a 3, 2 4’s, and a 5 (yesterday I think).

I think repeated letters will be my eventual downfall, not always using the revealed hints.

Last edited by a moderator:
You always use the letters you already know about?  Seems like a losing strategy at some point.
I guess it is but I’m trying to figure out the word not what letters are used in the word. If I get letters flagged that aren’t in the right place I play them in a different place the next word. Usually by word 4 it can be only a few words.  And obviously I ever reuse a gray letter. 

Yeah, I think my brain immediately defaults to hard mode because of some dumb show my mom and grandma always had on the game show network where you just kept changing one letter of the word.

I’m on day 4 and have a 3, 2 4’s, and a 5 (yesterday I think).

I think repeated letters will be my eventual downfall, not always using the revealed hints.
Yeah it took me a few rounds to realize there could be two e’s

So I guess I'd start with something like "abide" or "abode."    Something with three vowels and the E at the end.  Maybe "atone" as T would be more common than B.
I've been playing with an app that, despite having some annoying adds, is the same concept. Starting with "heals" or "tires" is a good mix and also tells you if the word is plural. Starting with "adieu" is a good way to see the vowels and then you could follow up with "storm" to knock out three of the biggest consonants.

Arise would be pretty good. 

I think Wheel of Fortune starts off the final game with RSTLNE because they are the most used letters. Arise would give you 3 vowels along with 2 of the 3 most common consonants.
ARISE is a good one. I’ve been starting with RAISE. Same letters, but different order. I think “r” as the second letter with arise could help to figure out placement of “r” earlier, as frequently seems to be second.

Got it in 3 today using pretty much the strategy I talked about.  Just knowing the number of vowels and eliminating potential digraphs seems to really helpful.

Same here, I am trying to guess the word. Why would I not choose letters that I know are in the word? I've solved in 3,3,6 and 4 so far. 
I do the same, downloaded an app since I hate waiting a day.

I just had two I did in 4 and 5 where I was one letter off 3 times. Slime, slice and slide was correct. Got RSH (fresh) on first attempt then tried crash and only C wrong. Tried trash and that was wrong too. Looked at every letter after that and finally realized brash was the only other option. Weird that I guess every possible wrong letter for one missing that was a real word and did it twice in a row.

Same here, I am trying to guess the word. Why would I not choose letters that I know are in the word? I've solved in 3,3,6 and 4 so far. 
Got today's in 4 on hard mode.  Not really that hard.  I hope they add a timer/longer words in the future. Maybe hide the keyboard map?  But I don't think that would make it much harder.  

You're trying to guess the word in six guesses.  While repeating letters will give you a better chance of guessing the word in two guesses, getting more information about more letters makes it easier to guess the word in the six guesses.  Let's say that my first guess of ARISE shows me that the E is indeed the last letter.  I could keep trying words that end in E.  Or I could make my second guess MOUND on the theory that it gives me information on all the vowels and several possible consonants.  So lets say that clue shows me that there is an O in the word (though not in the right position) and that the N is in the right position.  So we know now that the word is _ _ _ N E with an O in either the first or third position.  I think we can further and be pretty certain the O is in the third position.  And if the O is in the third position, we probably have a digraph in the first two positions (it could conceivably be OZONE and not have a digraph, but we should have enough guesses to account for that.).  We know there's no R, so we can eliminate the initial digraphs CR (crone), DR (drone), GR,  PR (prone), TR, and WR.  We know there's no S so we can eliminate SC, SH, SL, SM, SN, SP, ST, and SW. 

That leaves us with CH, CL (clone), GL,  PH (phone), TH, and WH.  We have four guesses left and (by my count) three possible answers.  Phone, Clone, and Ozone.

Got it in 3 today using pretty much the strategy I talked about.  Just knowing the number of vowels and eliminating potential digraphs seems to really helpful.

I got it in 3 today using one of the opening words suggested here.  I hadn't really considered the opening word strategies on my first try yesterday.

Started playing yesterday.  Fun couple minute timewaster.  Using SOARE as my starting word.

Got it in 3 today starting with STARE, my go-to first word. Then PROUD to get most of the rest of the vowels. After seeing the result, there weren't may options for the third guess, picked the right one. 

You're trying to guess the word in six guesses.  While repeating letters will give you a better chance of guessing the word in two guesses, getting more information about more letters makes it easier to guess the word in the six guesses.  Let's say that my first guess of ARISE shows me that the E is indeed the last letter.  I could keep trying words that end in E.  Or I could make my second guess MOUND on the theory that it gives me information on all the vowels and several possible consonants.  So lets say that clue shows me that there is an O in the word (though not in the right position) and that the N is in the right position.  So we know now that the word is _ _ _ N E with an O in either the first or third position.  I think we can further and be pretty certain the O is in the third position.  And if the O is in the third position, we probably have a digraph in the first two positions (it could conceivably be OZONE and not have a digraph, but we should have enough guesses to account for that.).  We know there's no R, so we can eliminate the initial digraphs CR (crone), DR (drone), GR,  PR (prone), TR, and WR.  We know there's no S so we can eliminate SC, SH, SL, SM, SN, SP, ST, and SW. 

That leaves us with CH, CL (clone), GL,  PH (phone), TH, and WH.  We have four guesses left and (by my count) three possible answers.  Phone, Clone, and Ozone.
I get what you are saying, I am just approaching it with the mindset of I want to guess the word in as few guesses as possible. 

I've been using adieu and stork or story for my openers. Someone suggested snort for my second word.

There's also this with multiple words a day and you can expand it to 11 letter words. The latter made me tap the brakes on how intelligent I felt.

https://www.wordleunlimited.com/

Users who are viewing this thread