What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

World Games 2017 - anyone following this? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Dickinson

Footballguy
So my TV provider recently added the "Olympic Channel", which shows Olympic sports and highlights all day.  I have no idea if this channel is brand new or not.  

One program it is showing is highlights from World Games 2017 in Wroclaw, Poland.  Some of the games contested are familiar to Olympics enthusiasts.  But some are variations I haven't seen before. 

Beach Handball - like Team Handball, but on sand on a smaller court with fewer players.  Women's Beach Handball uniforms are similar to women's beach volleyball uniforms. 
Floorball - like Cosom Hockey, but played with a ball instead of a puck

There was also a Jiu-Jitsu competition.  Both a standard tournament like you would see in martial arts fighting competition.  But there was also something called "Duo System" that best I could tell was a choreographed match between two people competing as a team that was judged like gymnastics or ballroom dancing.  

Most badass event I saw was Muy Thai.  Of all the athletes in the show, IMO these athletes were the ones I would most want accompanying me down a dark alley at night.   

Oh yeah, there was a ballroom dance event, too.  

Of the hour coverage I monitored, the event that gave me the most pause was team Tug Of War.  Men's and Women's.  Outdoor and indoor.  With weight classes and coaches.  For some reason this felt like less of a sport to me than 9-ball, which was a medal event.  

Most unusual event was probably Canoe Polo.  Think water polo, but instead of swimming everyone is in kayaks.  No goalie.  The goal was raised up several feet above the water, and was about the size of a basketball backboard.  I played Intramural Inner Tube Water Polo in college so I'm into it.  Was just weird to see this contested at the international level.

Anyone else have any idea this was on?  Or that the Olympic Channel exists?

Of the hour coverage I monitored, the event that gave me the most pause was team Tug Of War.  Men's and Women's.  Outdoor and indoor.  With weight classes and coaches.  For some reason this felt like less of a sport to me than 9-ball, which was a medal event.  
I've been wanting to see the various billiards disciplines in the Olympics for a long time.

i have said it once and i will say it again until the olympics finally recognizes downhill cheesewheel catching as an event they are dead to me take that to the bank bromigos 

I've been wanting to see the various billiards disciplines in the Olympics for a long time.
It was fun watching the players break and having a decent shot at running the 9-ball table.  Not any less of a sport than archery or shooting.  
During a recent visit to England, my cab driver in St. Austell was a former pro snooker player and current pro snooker coach.  He had just returned from China - one of his players qualified for a tournament there.  He was pleasantly surprised to meet an American familiar with snooker.
When I played a lot, my favorite/best game was 9-ball, but that was before I got domesticated.  I would be a fool playing anyone willing to play for money now.    

I would watch but we have to pay for this channel. Might do it at Olympic time but not now. 
Reading up on it a bit... started as a streaming service last year by the IOC, with the long-term plan to franchise it to individual countries and get on television content providers.  NBC is a first franchisee.  Channel officially launched July 15.  NBC retired Universal HD to carry it.  

It's an interesting premise.  Remember during the Olympics how the best coverage was on all the non-NBC channels during the day?  They're trying to do a 24-hour channel like that.  

Channel got on my radar when it carried the US Classic, a national-level competition on the US women's gymnastics circuit.  Also devoting several hours a day to a world swimming/diving competition going on right now.  

NBC also filling out the day with packaged reruns they made for the NBC Sports Channel to run right after the Olympics ended.  So there's these 1-hour and 2-hour highlight reels of events from Rio and London.  (Yeah, I set the DVR for the replay of the women's gymnastics team event in London - watching those five curbstomp the rest of the world that night was spectacular.  McKayla Maroney is more famous for botching her second vault during individual apparatus finals, but she threw the greatest women's vault of all time during the team event.)  

I hope this channel becomes home to regular curling and short-track speed skating coverage to get us ready for PyeongChang. 

Users who are viewing this thread