What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

World War I books from a different perspective (3 Viewers)

Quoting myself but this one is very good. 

The production is excellent without modern reenactments or talking head interviews.  They make extensive use of archival footage including silent movies shot after the war ended.  I'm four episodes in and only one of them focused on the Western Front.  There's been a lot of interesting material about the war in Africa and the sorties of the German fleet after getting chased out of China.  Even the Western Front episode contained a segment about life in the regions of France that were occupied by Germans from 1914-17.
Hey Eephus,

How is your bro Epis? Doing well, I hope; give him my best. ;)

Anyways, I am now half-way through this series on youtube. Really great stuff. Thanks for the road map.  :thumbup:

Max Boot‏Verified account @MaxBoot

Very sad to hear of death of great historian David Fromkin, author of best book on post-WWI Middle East--"A Peace to End All Peace." RIP.
- I had the great honor of meeting this fine man once, and he gave me a copy of his book with a very kind inscription.

He will be missed. If you can please buy this book.

It's WWII but I got this book several years ago.  It's "The German Generals Talk".  

It's pretty cool to hear what these guys were thinking of Hitler and some of the crazy #### he was doing.  I thought most of them ended up sounded pretty weasely - as they were still trying to talk their way out of responsibility.  

An Amazon Review:

Excellent perspective is provided by these interviews with many of Germany's top Army commanders. While not a comprehensive chronological review of perspectives, the interviews offer insight into what the German military leadership felt it was facing in trying to carry out Hitler's plans. As Lenin said, "If you want the Germans to attack a railway station you have to buy them all a ticket." This cultural observation seems to apply to the senior commanders as far as dealing with Hitler and his many self-defeating strategies and orders. It is also unnerving to realize that if the German Army had been allowed to fight its own campaign on the Eastern Front, rather than Hitler's, the outcome might have been quite different. There is also a relatively clear explanation of why the Brits and French were allowed to escape at Dunkirk. The German reflections provide first-hand insight into the quality of British and American soldiers, Russian forces, Russian tanks, and much, much, more. Highly succinct perspectives of the German attack on France, the Russian Campaigns, the North African War, the Normandy Invasion and the Advance to Germany,

Users who are viewing this thread