What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (2 Viewers)

I really wish I could hear something definitive on if he is out the rest of the season.  My roster spaces are valuable, and if he will come back for the playoffs, then I'd hold him.

Best team I ever drafted led by Green, Evans and Demaryius as my top 3 WRs. Went from first place to third this week. I'm trying not to fall victim to the "sky is falling" mentality but I feel like the rug just got yanked out from underneath me, especially with Evans having to face Seattle next week and DT facing an almost certainly pissed-off Chiefs D next Sunday night. My suddenly lights-out WR corps suddenly isn't looking so hot. Damn this game can be cruel. 

Hurl Bruce said:
I really wish I could hear something definitive on if he is out the rest of the season.  My roster spaces are valuable, and if he will come back for the playoffs, then I'd hold him.
when do your waivers run?

should have the OUT for the season confirmed today and the week isn't even over

from Bramel's column today

A.J. GREEN | HAMSTRING STRAIN | 4+ WEEKS

There is very little to like about Green's outlook. He immediately reached high on the back of his leg, was unable to bear weight and carted off the field, and multiple local and national media members are tweeting about a multiple-week absence. Every indication is that Green suffered a high-grade hamstring strain. That's an injury that usually comes with a minimum four week recovery timetable. With the Bengals falling further out of the division race and unlikely to push Green to return for late season games if eliminated, he may not return until 2017. Tomorrow's MRI will help define the timetable.

Hurl Bruce said:
Sorry to tell you, but you aren't going to hear anything definitive about a hamstring injury pretty much ever.  I can tell you this though, if you hear the words "grade three" then I would just drop him in redraft leagues whether he is slated to come back or not. 

Now, it's possible the Bengals lose a couple games and just decide to IR him cause they are out of the playoff hunt.

This sucks....Finally had AJ and Dez (my fist two picks this year in my redraft) locked and loaded for the stretch run.

Yesterday was a brutal day for me losing:

Green

Prosise

Miller

Gone....all gone.

This hit me squarely in my Achilles -- using this year to hoard some RB lottery tickets has really paid off this year in terms of picking the right guys who hit to keep me solid in RB/Flex all year long and on the road to the playoffs. 

However, the strategy left me very thin at WR, and Green and Snead are the only WRs I can rely on (and Snead really is a flex, not a dependable WR2 option). With Green gone, with short benches in a 14 team league, will be definitely scrambling to make up lost points on a weekly basis.

Guys left on the wire are flex options at best -- Garcon, Marquise Lee, Thielen, Kerley, Patterson, LaFell, Stills, Cameron Meredith, Inman, etc.

There is also the Sammy Watkins lotto ticket option, which looks intriguing but not sure how confident I am that Sammy steps in to shine when I need him to.

Other option is to nab Green's "replacement" -- guys who now have upside in that offense like Boyd.

Will look at SOS, but leaning towards Garcon and Kerley (league also awards return yards) or Meredith (with Zach Miller now injured) as a replacement. Interested on thoughts on how others are approaching replacing Green -- best available on wire? Lotto ticket? Someone else on CIN?

Would love to have him back week 14 or 15. 

Definitely worth the risk and holding.  
worth the risk, but I don't see me ever starting him again this year.

a few weeks is usually at least 2-3 and I have a hard time seeing this as anything less than 3 weeks.  That means starting him his first week back being week 15, no thanks.  So the only way I start him is if I make the championship and he is heavily targeted and very productive in his first week back from a hammy.  That's alot of balls that need to line-up

If he's back for the Bengals he'll go right back into my starting lineup. He's A.J. Freakin Green. If I'm alive competing for money in my league he's one of the main reasons why so I'll give him every opportunity to help me close out the deal. I doubt the Bengals will bring him back and play him if he's in any danger of being put at risk. If he can't play like A.J. Green I'm guessing he'll be shut down so if he's on the field he'll be in my starting lineup whenever he returns.  

worth the risk, but I don't see me ever starting him again this year.

a few weeks is usually at least 2-3 and I have a hard time seeing this as anything less than 3 weeks.  That means starting him his first week back being week 15, no thanks.  So the only way I start him is if I make the championship and he is heavily targeted and very productive in his first week back from a hammy.  That's alot of balls that need to line-up
Tend to agree. Another consideration is that without Green and Gio, Cincy's offense takes a pretty big hit. THey have some personnel to carry the load (Eifert, Boyd, etc.) but not enough, IMHO, to put Cincy in a position to be challenging for division lead or a wildcard.

I can see them being out of contention soon and even if Green is back for semi/finals of your fantasy league, can easily see the Bengals shutting down Green for next season. Why risk exacerbating your single biggest star if there is literally nothing to play for?

Tend to agree. Another consideration is that without Green and Gio, Cincy's offense takes a pretty big hit. THey have some personnel to carry the load (Eifert, Boyd, etc.) but not enough, IMHO, to put Cincy in a position to be challenging for division lead or a wildcard.

I can see them being out of contention soon and even if Green is back for semi/finals of your fantasy league, can easily see the Bengals shutting down Green for next season. Why risk exacerbating your single biggest star if there is literally nothing to play for?
Agree 100%.  Bengals have little shot at the playoffs and zero reason to risk further injury.  They will shut Green down...  

If they shut him down there's no decision to be made. The question becomes if they don't shut him down and he plays do you start him when he returns? For me, it's an absolute no brainer. The second he returns and is on the field he goes right back into my starting lineup. 

Agree 100%.  Bengals have little shot at the playoffs and zero reason to risk further injury.  They will shut Green down...  
The Bengals are 1.5 games behind in the division with 6 games left in the season and you think they little chance to make the playoffs?  If they have a shot to make the playoffs if Green comes back then he's going to be used.

The Bengals are 1.5 games behind in the division with 6 games left in the season and you think they little chance to make the playoffs?  If they have a shot to make the playoffs if Green comes back then he's going to be used.
Guess they aren't mathematically eliminated, but let's be realistic. There are two teams ahead of them in their own division, and while it is a weak division, overtaking the lead really looks improbable. They are absolutely not going to be a wild card team given the strength of the AFC West, and it's hard to see them gaining on either the Steelers or the Ravens without two key offensive weapons. I can't see them sweeping the Ravens in their yearly series.

Agree that if there is a shot, and if Green is going to be back in time, they use him.

I just think Green won't be back until the last game or two of the season, by which time it's going to be too late anyway for the Bengals to do anything to keep them in the postseason. 

I just hate replies like this. It's a fantasy football site. Guys are entitled to post reactions over how news affects their fantasy team.
Why do you think there is a thread dedicated to that stuff?  Because the owners of the site know full well that it only clutters threads and is absolutely worthless information.

This isn't very difficult; it's PINNED for crying out loud.   Go in there and blab about your team all you want.

He's a free agent next year correct? 
No.

9/11/2015: Signed a five-year, $70.176 million contract. The contract contains $26.75 fully guaranteed. Green is eligible for a $200,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2016: $3.8 million (+ $6 million roster bonus paid 3/11), 2017: $10.3 million, 2018: $10.55 million, 2019: $11.97 million, 2020: Free Agent

No.

9/11/2015: Signed a five-year, $70.176 million contract. The contract contains $26.75 fully guaranteed. Green is eligible for a $200,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2016: $3.8 million (+ $6 million roster bonus paid 3/11), 2017: $10.3 million, 2018: $10.55 million, 2019: $11.97 million, 2020: Free Agent
Thanks. Not sure why I was thinking that 

The second he returns and is on the field he goes right back into my starting lineup. 
I can not agree with this. If they are alive for a playoff berth and bring him back early in desperation, get ready for a dud. 

Still a lot of unknowns on this, but hamstring injuries are just the worst, and it sounds like he has a bad one.

ghostguy123 said:
I can not agree with this. If they are alive for a playoff berth and bring him back early in desperation, get ready for a dud. 

Still a lot of unknowns on this, but hamstring injuries are just the worst, and it sounds like he has a bad one.
I reserve the right to change my mind based on any medical information we receive between now and the time Green may return but until such time occurs my position will be that if Green starts for the Bengals he starts for me. He's A.J. Green and I  :wub:  him and that  :wub: is unconditional. 

I reserve the right to change my mind based on any medical information we receive between now and the time Green may return but until such time occurs my position will be that if Green starts for the Bengals he starts for me. He's A.J. Green and I  :wub:  him and that  :wub: is unconditional. 
Absolutely. Bengals are just about cooked as far as a playoff berth goes. If Green sees the field again in 2016, one can only assume he will be 100% ready to compete as there will be no real reason to risk him as a decoy. If AJ takes the field he should be in everybody's line-up.

Absolutely. Bengals are just about cooked as far as a playoff berth goes. If Green sees the field again in 2016, one can only assume he will be 100% ready to compete as there will be no real reason to risk him as a decoy. If AJ takes the field he should be in everybody's line-up.
If the Bengals are mathematically eliminated then sure, if he plays he is probably good to go.

That obviously means it was not as bad as originally thought (even by green who was limping, which means grade 2 or 3).

Had a guy dump Green as a knee jerk reaction in my league.  I grabbed him on hopes of a return in wk 14-16 for the playoffs.  My WRs are lacking right now, so I could really use him moving.  Here's to hoping the Bengals stay relevant long enough to get Green back out on the field before the season's over. :popcorn:

I almost wish he was done for the season just so I knew for sure what moves I can make.  I could use some RB help but not sure which WR I would drop.

Sources close to A.J. Green tell me the Bengals wide receiver will miss his third straight game on Sunday. I'm told his hamstring is healing as expected, but that he won't be ready this week. - Bob Holtzman

No real news, as I think most expected that he wouldn't be able to play this weekend, but at least we're seeing positive steps towards possibly seeing him again this season.

Been doing work on the rehab field the last two days. I'm no doctor but that sounds like a positive sign that he could be returning before the end of the season. If he was definitely done for the year I doubt he'd be out there at all. I'm definitely holding onto him. If it's a 4-week injury and I can get him back by Week 15 I'll definitely take it. Bengals reporters are saying the team will bring him back even if they're out of the playoffs so that's great news.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said Monday that the Green’s outlook to play this week was “partly cloudy,” but has said more than once that he thinks Green will return before the season is over. That would not change if the Bengals are eliminated from the playoffs.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/25181/bengals-a-j-green-works-on-rehab-field-during-wednesdays-practice 

I'm not at all confident that he will be fantasy startable by week 16. Part of me wishes they would just IR him so I can fill his spot with a player I might actually be able to use.

Green has been used as a decoy in the past, so I would be highly skeptical for anything better than a 3-30 stat line on a first game back from injury.   As it wouldn't be the first time Marvin Lewis thinks he was tricking his opponents by using Green as a decoy.   Week 15 is vs Pittsburgh who kept a healthy Green in check week 2.  So I would expect the same with a less than 100% Green.  Week 16 vs Houston though would make a tough benching if he played in Week 15 and didn't aggravate the injury.   In a way that is my bigger concern, say Green is cleared to play and practices all week, then aggravates the injury early in the game and is out.   I feel his first game back has the highest chance of aggravating the injury and/or being used as a decoy, which puts too much risk on starting him.  If he comes through that first week good, then the next week I'd be putting him back in my lineup. 

Unless you have no other depth that will have an average floor compared to the risk of a goose egg for Green, then the high ceiling start for Green and just take the risk of starting him then go for it.  Probably looking at your opponents possible lineup against will determine if you need to swing for the fences or could play it save to win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we all assuming that him playing next week in Week 14 is out of the realm of possibility? I mean, no one knows for sure, I get it, but why are we assuming WK 15 earliest if he's actively doing field work?

Green told reporters today he has a Grade 2 hamstring tear, still hoping to play this season "even if it's in Week 17."

That's probably a wrap on his 2017 season.

:(  

Green told reporters today he has a Grade 2 hamstring tear, still hoping to play this season "even if it's in Week 17."

That's probably a wrap on his 2017 season.

:(  
Oof. Grade 2 tear recovery time is somewhere between 4 to 8 weeks, last I looked at it, putting him back on the field at Week 16 at the earliest. My expectation is he would be pretty limited his first week back, so even assuming he's on the early end of that time frame I wouldn't expect much Week 16 (championship week for all of my leagues).

Probably droppable at this point, sadly enough, especially with his Week 17 comment. As a fan I hope he can get out there at least once more and crack 1,000 yards, but his fantasy relevance is likely done for the year.

Oof. Grade 2 tear recovery time is somewhere between 4 to 8 weeks, last I looked at it, putting him back on the field at Week 16 at the earliest. My expectation is he would be pretty limited his first week back, so even assuming he's on the early end of that time frame I wouldn't expect much Week 16 (championship week for all of my leagues).

Probably droppable at this point, sadly enough, especially with his Week 17 comment. As a fan I hope he can get out there at least once more and crack 1,000 yards, but his fantasy relevance is likely done for the year.
The league I have him in plays through Week 17 (don't ask) so I'm in a bind here. Not sure if I should hold him or not. The news this week that he "possibly" could play next week was interesting but now this news that he has the Grade 2 tear is in direct conflict with that. Week 16 would seem to be the soonest he'd be back given the severity of the injury. If I knew for sure I had a healthy A.J. Green for Week 17 I'd hold him since he's A.J. Freakin Green but if that was his first game back it would make it more problematic. I'll probably hold for another week and see if he keeps rehabbing and gather more info. I have a good team so I can take a little more time but the clock's definitely ticking.

Still sucks bigtime and for those in regular leagues who don't play through Week 17 he almost certainly is droppable now although I might hold out through Wednesday next week to see if he does more rehab. It was interesting that he was doing rehab work this week. Not sure how many players with Grade 2 tears were doing rehab work one week after the injury. Is that common? No clue so I'm asking if that's the norm.  

Last edited by a moderator:
A.J. has 964 receiving yards this season. Could be that he just wants to get back out there at some point so he can pick up the 36 yards he needs to get his 6th 1000 yard season - He's never had a sub 1000 yard season and I think that's a source of pride for him (Analysts talk about it enough) - If that's all he's got on his mind, then he's unlikely to be of any further use in fantasy this season.

A.J. has 964 receiving yards this season. Could be that he just wants to get back out there at some point so he can pick up the 36 yards he needs to get his 6th 1000 yard season - He's never had a sub 1000 yard season and I think that's a source of pride for him (Analysts talk about it enough) - If that's all he's got on his mind, then he's unlikely to be of any further use in fantasy this season.
Wonder if his contract also has a financial incentive for topping 1K yards. 

Wonder if his contract also has a financial incentive for topping 1K yards. 
Could be. In any case, I wish him well. Unfortunately I'll have to move on without him. Maybe he can be of some use to me as waiver bait. A couple of the other playoff bound teams in my redraft league have some significant FAAB left. Late in the season, I know, but there are a few high profile handcuffs still on the wire; maybe if I can get one of the other guys to blow his wad on A.J. I can swoop in and grab up one of the aforementioned handcuffs if there is an injury. Bwahahahaha :devil:

The league I have him in plays through Week 17 (don't ask) so I'm in a bind here. Not sure if I should hold him or not. The news this week that he "possibly" could play next week was interesting but now this news that he has the Grade 2 tear is in direct conflict with that. Week 16 would seem to be the soonest he'd be back given the severity of the injury. If I knew for sure I had a healthy A.J. Green for Week 17 I'd hold him since he's A.J. Freakin Green but if that was his first game back it would make it more problematic. I'll probably hold for another week and see if he keeps rehabbing and gather more info. I have a good team so I can take a little more time but the clock's definitely ticking.

Still sucks bigtime and for those in regular leagues who don't play through Week 17 he almost certainly is droppable now although I might hold out through Wednesday next week to see if he does more rehab. It was interesting that he was doing rehab work this week. Not sure how many players with Grade 2 tears were doing rehab work one week after the injury. Is that common? No clue so I'm asking if that's the norm.  
I too play in a 17 week league. It is a points league so I think I'm dropping AJ on Sunday just to pick up another WR to block the competition.  Taking away a WR for 4 weeks from my competition means more than holding AJ for me to possibly play in week 17. I'm not sure I could trust him at that point anyway.  This is really difficult for me to do.  I would be so irritated if he came back in week 15.  

I too play in a 17 week league. It is a points league so I think I'm dropping AJ on Sunday just to pick up another WR to block the competition.  Taking away a WR for 4 weeks from my competition means more than holding AJ for me to possibly play in week 17. I'm not sure I could trust him at that point anyway.  This is really difficult for me to do.  I would be so irritated if he came back in week 15.  
My league is total points too. Waivers are Wednesday in my league so I'll see where my team's at after this week and make the call. I'm doing well in the league so if I'm still in great shape that will impact my decision. If I can afford to hold off and it sounds like he's getting closer to returning maybe I'll hang onto him. A lot will depend on how my team's doing and any further news we get on his rehab. 

I think so.  Tough to decide. 
The Holtzman report from last week that he possibly could return in Week 14 is the thing that really throws a wrench into all this. It definitely doesn't jibe with the Grade 2 tear although Green said it's a 50% tear so maybe that factors in somehow? I have no clue. But Holtzman is a veteran reporter so he's not someone who's going to fire off a report without any credibility behind it. If there was even a remote chance that Green could play next week and he had the sources to back that up then that report must have had some validity to it and that's why he went with it. That's why for now I'm gonna hold onto him and see what we hear the next few days and see what we hear. I'm not thinking he plays Week 14 but if there's a shot at Week 15 I'm definitely gonna hang onto him.    

The Holtzman report from last week that he possibly could return in Week 14 is the thing that really throws a wrench into all this. It definitely doesn't jibe with the Grade 2 tear although Green said it's a 50% tear so maybe that factors in somehow? I have no clue. But Holtzman is a veteran reporter so he's not someone who's going to fire off a report without any credibility behind it. If there was even a remote chance that Green could play next week and he had the sources to back that up then that report must have had some validity to it and that's why he went with it. That's why for now I'm gonna hold onto him and see what we hear the next few days and see what we hear. I'm not thinking he plays Week 14 but if there's a shot at Week 15 I'm definitely gonna hang onto him.    
The league I have him in I got a bye.  so I guess it's worth holding for now

Users who are viewing this thread