What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Allen Robinson, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

Bortles is making bad throws to everyone. He's making especially bad throws to Robinson. Some of them I'm not even sure can really be called throws to Robinson. There have been several throws where Bortles feels pressure (imagined or otherwise) and will just chuck up a bad throw in Robinson's direction. Some of them are not even close to catachable but Robinson get the target stat anyway. 

This isn't to say Robinson is completely without fault. He has had some drops and miscues, but when Bortles throws at you 15 times and only 6 are catchable, its hard to put most of that on the receiver 
But 6 out of 15 being catchable is hyperbole.

I have all of Robinson, Hurns, and Yeldon in dynasty so needless to say I have watched a fair bit of the Jags this year.  While it's true that there are a fair amount of throws that are just not at all catchable, acting like that describes 60% of the throws is major exaggeration. 

Bortles is a big part of the problem, no doubt, but Robinson has just not been consistent this year.  He'll look great for a couple plays but then just disappear again.  Unable to get open, unable to come down with catchable balls.  It's not just drops.  Hurns gets his fair share of uncatchable balls sent his way as well but he seems to be getting better separation a lot of the time, and seems to do a better job of holding on to the ball in traffic.  Robinson seems to be targeted more often downfield so that partially explains his lower catch rate, but another part of it is that he's just not getting separation on the slants and short crosses as often as Hurns is.

Clearly the talent is there.  Hopefully he can put things back together and play more consistently.  Hopefully Bortles can do the same, but the problem seems at least to me to be on both ends, not just one.

This is one of the first times I've really felt biased as an owner. When I see Bortles awful throwing mechanics and him spiking balls into the dirt it's hard for me to really blame it on Robinson. It's very similar to the Hopkins situation where you feel like if anyone else in the world was the QB, you would suddenly have your stud WR1 back. When in reality there are simply more factors in play. 

Any idea who will be covering A. Robinson this Sunday?  Does Peters cover just one side or does he travel and cover the teams #1?  Debating benching a 1st round pick.  Thanks a lot for sucking Bortles!!!

I have all of Robinson, Hurns, and Yeldon in dynasty so needless to say I have watched a fair bit of the Jags this year.  While it's true that there are a fair amount of throws that are just not at all catchable, acting like that describes 60% of the throws is major exaggeration. 

Bortles is a big part of the problem, no doubt, but Robinson has just not been consistent this year.  He'll look great for a couple plays but then just disappear again.  Unable to get open, unable to come down with catchable balls.  It's not just drops.  Hurns gets his fair share of uncatchable balls sent his way as well but he seems to be getting better separation a lot of the time, and seems to do a better job of holding on to the ball in traffic.  Robinson seems to be targeted more often downfield so that partially explains his lower catch rate, but another part of it is that he's just not getting separation on the slants and short crosses as often as Hurns is.

Clearly the talent is there.  Hopefully he can put things back together and play more consistently.  Hopefully Bortles can do the same, but the problem seems at least to me to be on both ends, not just one.
When Bortles bounces a 10 yard pass 3 yards short.. is that considered a target?

Any idea who will be covering A. Robinson this Sunday?  Does Peters cover just one side or does he travel and cover the teams #1?  Debating benching a 1st round pick.  Thanks a lot for sucking Bortles!!!
He does cover one side.   the side ar15 doesn't normally play on

Anyone bought in dynasty?  If so, what'd he cost?
I sold after week two for Kelvin Benjamin and Corey Coleman in one league. I own him in another league and I doubt I'd part with him because his value is too low now. I haven't had any buy low offers though.

I think PFF had it as of Bortles 15 throws to Allen Robinson, 3 were considered on target.  3 of the other throws AR15 made a play and caught a difficult off target pass, and the remaining throws were off target and incomplete.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think PFF had it as of Bortles 15 throws to Allen Robinson, 3 were considered on target.  3 of the other throws AR15 made a reception, and the remaining throws were off target and incomplete.
So Robinson caught 3 passes that bounced 3 yards short of him?

I think there were 3 passes considered statistically "off target" but AR15 was able to make an adjustment and successfully caught it.
Right, point being that I don't know what PFF qualifies as "off-target" but the assertion being made here is that 60% of the passes thrown AR15's way are balls that bounce 3 yards short or sail 20 yards over his head out of bounds.  Balls that are uncatchable.  So clearly if Robinson caught some of those passes that PFF lists as "off-target" then they're not necessarily crazy horrible throws.

Btw where did you find the PFF target stats?  As I recall they charge something like $300/mo for them so I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Either way, I'm not here to trash Robinson or anything.  I'm here as a concerned dynasty owner trying to figure out if it's just a bad stretch that I should hold through or if I've got the next Braylon Edwards on my hands and should trade him while he still holds pretty good dynasty value.  Apparently though the majority of posters in this thread (not saying you) are just interested in trashing an admittedly bad Bortles with hyperbole to make each other feel better.

Skeletore Eh said:
I would take that deal. Of course if you're a contender giving up Murray would sting
I recognize this isn't Assistant Coach, but I appreciate the advice. Frankly, Nelson is the part of the deal I'm hesitant about. He's being talked about as a #2, and I wonder if the Arizona context (potentially retiring Fitz, coach who loves to take shots downfield, strong running game) makes him nearly comparable to Robinson for the years it takes them to get QB sorted out. I'm still pondering.

FreeBaGeL said:
So Robinson caught 3 passes that bounced 3 yards short of him?

I've read plenty of your stuff over the years. I find it incomprehensible that you don't understand the difference between off target and uncatchable. 

Too little too late for my team it seems.  would have been nice to have a game like this sometime in the first 9 weeks of the season 

Havent seen much jAX this yr, despite acquiring ARob in the summer.

Stats wise, looks like Bortles just stinks this season. Is Arob really not getting open?
Seems like bortles having mechanical issues again from what I'm reading. Jaws noting that he's not being coached correctly. This seems like it should be fixable.

I'm begging you to put up monster numbers these last couple of weeks so I can ship you to someone else.  PLEASE!!!!

I'm begging you to put up monster numbers these last couple of weeks so I can ship you to someone else.  PLEASE!!!!
Why do you feel this way? Are you just done? Strikes me that if he puts up monster numbers you will be having second thoughts on trading him. If not, I'm curious to hear your reasoning.

Why do you feel this way? Are you just done? Strikes me that if he puts up monster numbers you will be having second thoughts on trading him. If not, I'm curious to hear your reasoning.
I was never a big fan of his and the 1 team I have him on I took the team over in the offseason and couldn't move him.  I'm done with him and I want players I like.  I have a tendency to get rid of players that frustrate the hell out of me as well.

I've tried to buy in dynasty and keepers, but his owners aren't selling.  Bortles is bad... even last year Robinson had 80 receptions on 153 targets.  This year he's got 50 receptions on 102 targets... that's down slightly, but not that much.  Bortles just sucks.

That said - moving forward... I'd love to own Robinson for 2017 and beyond -- he's still just 23.  Jacksonville should blow up everything aside from him -- including Bortles.  Put Robinson with a real QB and I think we'd probably have a top-10 WR on our hands if not higher than that.  As for the rest of this season...

@BUF
DEN
MIN
@HOU
TEN

Now he dominated Houston in their first meeting, so maybe that one isn't so scary... but Denver is no joke, and Minny is the 2nd toughest matchup for WRs -- and that's the opening round of the playoffs.

Hes better than this but ive always been concerned with the percentage of his stats that he puts up in garbage time. Sure they count just the same, but they hide a lot. 

Anyone bought in dynasty?  If so, what'd he cost?
I paid Keenan Allen, Kevin White, and Josh Doctsen for him in my dynasty league. The other guy is blowing his team up and rebuilding for the future and my team is built to win now. 

JWebs85 said:
I paid Keenan Allen, Kevin White, and Josh Doctsen for him in my dynasty league. The other guy is blowing his team up and rebuilding for the future and my team is built to win now. 
Seems like an awful lot for a guy whos disappointed most of the year

Ugh. Nothing to add other than that. Has he just given up on the year??? I mean I get it. Just sucks for those of us who own him...

So what happens to Bortles next year? Jags can't roll with him as their starter next year, right? Are they going to fire all the coaches and bring in a veteran QB to at least compete with him?

Bortles looked primed for a great year... My GOD has he ever been bad. Brutal, even. 

AR a stud, but all these WRs look like they've fed up

With that D, and WR talent, think Romo may end up here... just a wild ### thought I had reading this page (have no shares of Romo or JAX players)

Users who are viewing this thread