What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Austin III, PIT (1 Viewer)

@32BeatWriters
Honorable mention winner:
“WR Calvin Austin III: Austin continued to get better from the first day to the last. If there is one receiver besides Pickens who has a chance to have a big role in this offense, it’s Austin.”

@32BeatWriters
“He’s getting an opportunity to showcase his skill set. He wasn’t often put in a position to do that last year, as they were enamored with Allen Robinson’s blocking in the slot rather than getting receiving production from that spot.

Austin is fast, runs good routes, is now somewhat experienced and is a very likable individual. Can he be the No. 2? Well, not in the traditional way we look at receivers, but he will have a bigger role, and he should have his most productive season.”

With the amount of vacated targets left behind by Johnson, the improvement at QB and OC, this guy is winding up on the bottom of a lot of my rosters this year. Sure he could be cut by week 3, but as a free end of draft lottery ticket, I think he's in a great situation. They have no one behind Pickens I'd worry about, and I'm not really a Roman Wilson believer. I think at worst he's on the field for every 3 WR set, and wouldn't be surprised if he's ahead of Wilson to start the season. It doesn't hurt hearing on a regular basis that Waldman is a fan too.

I took a chance on him in the third round of my first-ever rookie draft and have been a believer.. but I have serious doubts about a third year breakout- even if his rookie year was largely red-shirted because of the foot issue.

The good- maybe the best WR on the team in terms of being able to get open on most routes. 4.32 40 time and 39" vertical. Can work outside a bit in terms of his underlying skill set, not purely relegated to a slot only WR- which is where this needs to go for him to make much (any?) impact in fansasy.

Source :https://www.footballguys.com/stats/targets/teams?team=ATL&year=2022

The BAD
Arthur Smith offense
Total tgtWR totWR1WR2TE totTE1TE2Rbtot
2019​
Ten
425​
254​
84​
69​
108​
45​
31​
63​
2020​
Ten
466​
270​
106​
92​
138​
65​
53​
58​
2021​
Atl
554​
250​
93​
53​
158​
110​
31​
146​
2022​
Atl
399​
227​
117​
61​
106​
59​
21​
66​
2023​
Atl
504​
208​
109​
30​
172​
89​
69​
124​
Totalper game
27.1​
13.9​
5.9​
3.5​
7.9​
4.3​
2.4​
5.3​

Fun guy to root for but might be time to find a better use for that roster spot. Corey Davis, he is not.

I took a chance on him in the third round of my first-ever rookie draft and have been a believer.. but I have serious doubts about a third year breakout- even if his rookie year was largely red-shirted because of the foot issue.

The good- maybe the best WR on the team in terms of being able to get open on most routes. 4.32 40 time and 39" vertical. Can work outside a bit in terms of his underlying skill set, not purely relegated to a slot only WR- which is where this needs to go for him to make much (any?) impact in fansasy.

Source :https://www.footballguys.com/stats/targets/teams?team=ATL&year=2022

The BAD
Arthur Smith offense
Total tgtWR totWR1WR2TE totTE1TE2Rbtot
2019​
Ten
425​
254​
84​
69​
108​
45​
31​
63​
2020​
Ten
466​
270​
106​
92​
138​
65​
53​
58​
2021​
Atl
554​
250​
93​
53​
158​
110​
31​
146​
2022​
Atl
399​
227​
117​
61​
106​
59​
21​
66​
2023​
Atl
504​
208​
109​
30​
172​
89​
69​
124​
Totalper game
27.1​
13.9​
5.9​
3.5​
7.9​
4.3​
2.4​
5.3​

Fun guy to root for but might be time to find a better use for that roster spot. Corey Davis, he is not.
Cal is very fun to root for. Definitely more than a straight line speed guy, but dang he can get separation going deep. Opportunities will be there if Russ can hit him in stride over the top. Only needs 1/2 step bite on play action to win deep. No doubt coverage shaded to Pickens side.

That said, I haven't taken any shares and he's free (available in the18th round) of any underdog draft. Buying a tiny share of an Arthur Smith offense feels like lighting my entry fee on fire. Give me Warren, Harris, Pickens, Muth and occasional Fields lottery ticket for end of season rushing upside. THat's about it.

With the amount of vacated targets left behind by Johnson, the improvement at QB and OC, this guy is winding up on the bottom of a lot of my rosters this year. Sure he could be cut by week 3, but as a free end of draft lottery ticket, I think he's in a great situation. They have no one behind Pickens I'd worry about, and I'm not really a Roman Wilson believer. I think at worst he's on the field for every 3 WR set, and wouldn't be surprised if he's ahead of Wilson to start the season. It doesn't hurt hearing on a regular basis that Waldman is a fan too.
Agree with you. Diontae targets have to go somewhere, but unless the team trades for Aiyuk, the vast majority of the targets will shift to the TE and RB rooms. 170 TE passing attempts is realistic making Freiermuth the primary beneficiary.

Van Jefferson/Cal earning more than 6 targets per game seems unlikely.

Agree with you. Diontae targets have to go somewhere, but unless the team trades for Aiyuk, the vast majority of the targets will shift to the TE and RB rooms. 170 TE passing attempts is realistic making Freiermuth the primary beneficiary.

I'm not sure why you would come to that conclusion. TE's rarely see many targets on a team led by Wilson whether it was with the Hawks or Broncs. I would like to hope you're right as I have Freiermuth on my main dynasty roster as my TE 1a.

I'm not sure why you would come to that conclusion. TE's rarely see many targets on a team led by Wilson whether it was with the Hawks or Broncs. I would like to hope you're right as I have Freiermuth on my main dynasty roster as my TE 1a.
Because of the OC calling plays. Arthur Smith was a TE coach early on in his career. Schemes up plays designed to feed his TE frequently as part of his run heavy offense. Puts stress on the defense to defend against the run, QB option, play action, moving pockets, TE leaking out.

More play design than Russ’ tendencies

Both Arthur and Tomlin have a love for the Gibbs Parcells Cowher overpowering type run game and big man TE systems. Once they start with two and three TEs, the slot loses reps.

I think he's more on the 5th6th WR maybe to be cut side than he's going to be a #2.
Van is fine in the slot if needed.
The rookie is the 2 asap.

They need another, especially while Wilson gets comfy but Arthur loves to have big WRs block for a RB running wide and this guy is 5-8. As I've said before, no the Steelers didn't necessarily do this but this is like the easiest sell to Tomlin too. Is he not going to want a big WR smashing a small CB so the RB can get free? Not to overstate the Steelers height at WR but 5-8 is woah small.

These two coaches mesh well. Like the Steelers hiring Mike Munchak. Some people are writing of a learning curve or adjustment period and I just imagine more like best buddies. Smith coached under Mularkey (Steelers player and OC) and **** Lebeau. There's a familiarity.

Both Arthur and Tomlin have a love for the Gibbs Parcells Cowher overpowering type run game and big man TE systems. Once they start with two and three TEs, the slot loses reps.

I think he's more on the 5th6th WR maybe to be cut side than he's going to be a #2.
Van is fine in the slot if needed.
The rookie is the 2 asap.

They need another, especially while Wilson gets comfy but Arthur loves to have big WRs block for a RB running wide and this guy is 5-8. As I've said before, no the Steelers didn't necessarily do this but this is like the easiest sell to Tomlin too. Is he not going to want a big WR smashing a small CB so the RB can get free? Not to overstate the Steelers height at WR but 5-8 is woah small.

These two coaches mesh well. Like the Steelers hiring Mike Munchak. Some people are writing of a learning curve or adjustment period and I just imagine more like best buddies. Smith coached under Mularkey (Steelers player and OC) and **** Lebeau. There's a familiarity.
Poor Charles Richard Lebeau. Can't even say his preferred moniker online anymore lol.

Because of the OC calling plays. Arthur Smith was a TE coach early on in his career. Schemes up plays designed to feed his TE frequently as part of his run heavy offense. Puts stress on the defense to defend against the run, QB option, play action, moving pockets, TE leaking out.

More play design than Russ’ tendencies
Sean Payton has always incorporated TEs to a large extent in his offenses as well. Look at last year. Not being pessimistic. I just don't think it's a given.

Users who are viewing this thread