What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Christian Watson, GB (3 Viewers)

His value won’t get any higher IMO and can only go down, so is he a sell? Probably.
Isn't that stance predicated on the idea that last year was a fluke?

The TDs were 100% a fluke but couldn't he be, approximately, a consistent 70+ catch, 1,100 yard, 8 TD guy for the next 8 years or so? With the possibility of a few all pro seasons?

His value won’t get any higher IMO and can only go down, so is he a sell? Probably.
Isn't that stance predicated on the idea that last year was a fluke?

The TDs were 100% a fluke but couldn't he be, approximately, a consistent 70+ catch, 1,100 yard, 8 TD guy for the next 8 years or so? With the possibility of a few all pro seasons?
Love is an unknown, but yes that is possible. Maybe his value does go higher, maybe not. I think he’s a sell, but I could be wrong.

I don't know if I'd like what I could sell him for, really. He's WR21 in FBG dynasty rankings and WR20 in FantasyPros rankings. I'd like to think that the wide receivers surrounding him (Godwin, DJ Moore, Michael Pittman) all have issues. I wouldn't sell him for any of those guys right now based on potential down the road.

Now, if he were WR12-15, then I'd have to think about it, because is he a potential WR1? I don't know. But I know he's pretty firmly in the top twenty-five of dynasty WRs right now. I'm not sure how that will translate next year, but I'm betting he's a WR2 or WR3 when all is said and done, health providing.

One thing. At Fantasy Pros, he's ranked 15th in WR trade value, which is a pretty big jump from WR21 if you ask me. That puts him in rarified value air. You might sell at that price.

Just listened to Matt Harmon's Reception Perception podcast about Watson and how he felt about him for this year. He felt better about him than Treylon Burks and George Pickens. He was not totally sanguineous, though. He pointed out where Watson needed to improve with route running on certain patterns. Watson apparently ran a ton of deep routes last year and needs to improve his route tree to become a better receiver (what young receiver haven't you heard that about?). But Harmon was pretty upbeat about him considering that Watson didn't set the world on fire when it came to determining how open he got consistently. He said, basically, that Watson improved as the season went along and that was a good sign for his progress in his second year. He contrasted that with Pickens, who he said got worse as the season went on. I didn't listen to the Burks part of the podcast (no interest), but he said if he had to pick out of the three, he'd pick Watson.

It was an honest evaluation coming from Harmon, who is good at checking priors and giving honest evaluations about guys.

I am skeptical of the small sample size he got when GB really didnt have much else to work with.

I also see Love as a big downgrade from Rodgers.

WR 20ish seems pretty high considering how many other great WR there are in the league.

But I hate the Packers so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt.

I'm skeptical too but Rodgers didn't play well most of last season and Watson figuring out the game may have helped as much as the QB learning to "trust" his WRs. I don't know how good Love will be but Watson seems worth a gamble. Not sure I'd go any earlier than a 3rd round pick though.

But I have to admit that I'm a little more worried than I was when Watson was scoring oodles of touchdowns and was on fire last season.
Hmmmmm..............I may be interested. Interesting you mentioned Godwin as being right around him. Hmmmm?

(we are in the same league and I have Godwin)

Hmmmmm..............I may be interested. Interesting you mentioned Godwin as being right around him. Hmmmm?

Heh. I know you're kidding, but as of now, I wouldn't do that. See upthread where in that same sentence I don't think I'd trade him for a Godwin or a Pittman or a DJ Moore. All those guys have questions. I think Moore and Watson have the most upside, with Watson outpacing him. I'd have to check the rankings, but I don't think there's anybody in the 20-35 range I'd rather have, actually. It's just all the negativity from other people that deters me a bit from being absolutely sold on him. I've been wrong before.

But he looked every bit the part last year when he got the ball, and as pointed out, Rodgers is terrible (almost hazing-like) with rookies. It's just too bad for fantasy GMs of Watson that Rodgers isn't there for a second year.

So we will see.

I knew about his physical traits but I love this kids attitude and mental makeup. His humble personality and desire to work at his craft will give him an opportunity to be special. Not sure it happens this year with Love, but if the Packers struggle they have a couple first rounders and could be in a good position to move up for a quarterback in next years draft.

I knew about his physical traits but I love this kids attitude and mental makeup. His humble personality and desire to work at his craft will give him an opportunity to be special. Not sure it happens this year with Love, but if the Packers struggle they have a couple first rounders and could be in a good position to move up for a quarterback in next years draft.
and Gutekunst would still draft a defensive player. :no:

Rodgers didn't go to camp. Watson missed it with an injury. Watson still was in and out of the lineup for most of the first half of the season.... But...

Over the 2nd half of the season, week 10-18 Watson was WR9 overall, WR8 in PPG.

In regards to potential, he showed a hypothetical ceiling with a 4 week stretch where he had games of 32, 21, 21, 24. A 3TD game, multiple 100+ games, huge play potential, game breaking speed.

Rodgers only threw 3700/26 last year, which is very obtainable for most mediocre QBs.

You think the TDs are a fluke, okay fair, although when your skill set is speed over the top, those are what tend to lead to huge posts that end up in the endzone (Mike Wallace did it for years) but he had 7 in that 9 game stretch. Let's erase 4 of them... He's still a top 24 WR through those 8 weeks, as a rookie, off an injury, with no camp, a QB who basically tried to doghouse him... And you can draft him as WR 29.

This is a guy you draft to be your WR3 or flex player, who will single handedly win you a few weeks. That's the exact type of way I like to construct my rosters, but it's obviously not the only way.

Rodgers didn't go to camp. Watson missed it with an injury. Watson still was in and out of the lineup for most of the first half of the season.... But...

In regards to potential, he showed a hypothetical ceiling with a 4 week stretch where he had games of 32, 21, 21, 24. A 3TD game, multiple 100+ games, huge play potential, game breaking speed.

Rodgers only threw 3700/26 last year, which is very obtainable for most mediocre QBs.

You think the TDs are a fluke, okay fair, although when your skill set is speed over the top, those are what tend to lead to huge posts that end up in the endzone (Mike Wallace did it for years) but he had 7 in that 9 game stretch. Let's erase 4 of them... He's still a top 24 WR through those 8 weeks, as a rookie, off an injury, with no camp, a QB who basically tried to doghouse him... And you can draft him as WR 29.

This is a guy you draft to be your WR3 or flex player, who will single handedly win you a few weeks. That's the exact type of way I like to construct my rosters, but it's obviously not the only way.
You're on fire today with the takes. This is one I couldn't agree more with - some guys have so much talent that it's obvious to everybody. I also think Love is going to be a little better than the consensus.

Judging by preseason I think the naysayers about theGB offense are gonna eat crow by halftime of next weeks opening game for the Pack. Have people seen the number of dropped would-be TD passes this kid has last season? point being, he's open all over the field. every major publication, youtube fantasy page, sleeper, underdog, etc have all named him WR24 or higher. generally speaking he comes in at WR21 on avg. To contrast this, I think Jahan Dotson, who I think is WAY way better than Watson heading into year two, comes off as WR 37ish. Is howell, with bienemy, THAT much worse than Love with Packers' coaching staff? no.
Watson is going to kill it this year. Packers offense is going to smash, Love is a top 10 QB for 2023. Dotson is also going to smash it, easily a top 15 WR. there's enough room for both WRs in the top 15. it's not that hard for Watson to make a leap this year. Is Doubs really anything more than a wr2 in that offense?

you're likely to see more aj dillon runs, more play action. a different looking offense. but remember, watson can score on a 6 yard curl route and taken to 70 yards to the endzone.
he was a top 8 WR second half of last season. I don't remember vincent jackson doing anything special at any time in his NFL career.

To contrast this, I think Jahan Dotson, who I think is WAY way better than Watson heading into year two, comes off as WR 37ish. Is howell, with bienemy, THAT much worse than Love with Packers' coaching staff? no.

Tanner, it sounds like you're of two minds here. Which is it or is it both? Are both Watson and Dotson going to smash, or what is it? I think you're right if you say they both smash. That's my two cents on it.

I grabbed Watson and I honestly don’t know to expect. I think he’s talented but don’t know if he’s really that amazing a home run threat or is it Rodgers and he’s playing the Davante Adams role. I don’t tend to target guys like him because I’m usually all about the targets and the offense. His low catch / targets is a big concern if it doesn’t improve because TDs are variable and if he doesn’t get the tds he’s unstartable.

Judging by preseason I think the naysayers about theGB offense are gonna eat crow by halftime of next weeks opening game for the Pack. Have people seen the number of dropped would-be TD passes this kid has last season? point being, he's open all over the field. every major publication, youtube fantasy page, sleeper, underdog, etc have all named him WR24 or higher. generally speaking he comes in at WR21 on avg. To contrast this, I think Jahan Dotson, who I think is WAY way better than Watson heading into year two, comes off as WR 37ish. Is howell, with bienemy, THAT much worse than Love with Packers' coaching staff? no.
Watson is going to kill it this year. Packers offense is going to smash, Love is a top 10 QB for 2023. Dotson is also going to smash it, easily a top 15 WR. there's enough room for both WRs in the top 15. it's not that hard for Watson to make a leap this year. Is Doubs really anything more than a wr2 in that offense?

you're likely to see more aj dillon runs, more play action. a different looking offense. but remember, watson can score on a 6 yard curl route and taken to 70 yards to the endzone.
he was a top 8 WR second half of last season. I don't remember vincent jackson doing anything special at any time in his NFL career.
Had to settle in on Watson and Dotson this past week in several redrafts, sometimes both
Maybe this won't be as bad a season as I anticipated.

I don't think this forum lets you embed tweets, so forgive the copy\paste format.

Reminder: 7 WRs have had 2.25 or higher yards per route run as a rookie

Odell Beckham
Tyreek Hill
AJ Brown
Justin Jefferson
Ja'Marr Chase
Christian Watson
Chris Olave

The other 5 all finished as Top 7 WRs in Fantasy PPG in their second year

DRAFT OLAVE AND WATSON

And some other stats I found while digging:
Watson ranked 14th in open rate (per ESPN analytics)
12th in yards per route run
third in fantasy points per route run
He was fourth in YAC per reception behind only Deebo Samuel, Rondale Moore, and Jaylen Waddle (minimum 50 targets, per PFF)
From Week 10 forward, he produced 584 yards and eight TDs on 35 touches. That accounted for the 10th-most fantasy points at the position.
23% target share (6.5 per game)
85th percentile or better in YPR, YPT, aDOT, RAC and YPRR

Just a reminder, he runs 4.36 (96th percentile)
Speed score of 98th percentile
Burst score is 95th percentile
Catch Radius is 97th percentile

44% College dominator score (90th percentile)
QB rating per target 2nd in the league
Fantasy Points per target 1st in the league
Fantasy Points per route run 3rd in the league
15th in yards per target
17th in yards per reception
7th in catch rate
12th in aDOT

I don't think this forum lets you embed tweets, so forgive the copy\paste format.

Odell Beckham
Tyreek Hill
AJ Brown
Justin Jefferson
Ja'Marr Chase
Christian Watson
Chris Olave

DRAFT OLAVE AND WATSON

He was fourth in YAC per reception behind only Deebo Samuel, Rondale Moore, and Jaylen Waddle (minimum 50 targets, per PFF)
From Week 10 forward, he produced 584 yards and eight TDs on 35 touches. That accounted for the 10th-most fantasy points at the position.

15th in yards per target
7th in catch rate
12th in aDOT
it moved

Man poor VJax catching some strays in here. From 2008-14 he was a 1000+ yard receiver every year but one (injured in 5th game, out for season). He had 7+ TDs in all those seasons too (and 3 in 4.5 games in the injured one). His first season in Tampa he posted 70/1300/8.

If Christian Watson's career was exactly Vincent Jackson, I would buy the hell out of it right now.

Man poor VJax catching some strays in here. From 2008-14 he was a 1000+ yard receiver every year but one (injured in 5th game, out for season). He had 7+ TDs in all those seasons too (and 3 in 4.5 games in the injured one). His first season in Tampa he posted 70/1300/8.

If Christian Watson's career was exactly Vincent Jackson, I would buy the hell out of it right now.
Agreed that Watson would be lucky to have V-Jax's career, but man that's a weird comp to me. They are very different WRs, in both size and style. V-Jax was a lot more physical, which makes sense as he was 20 pounds heavier. Watson is a ton faster than V-Jax ever was and is way better after the catch. V-Jax was more like Mike Evans, Watson is more like AJ Brown I think, not that he's on that level (yet) but he's much more of a RAC guy. V-Jax wasn't taking end arounds for TDs.

Had to settle in on Watson and Dotson this past week in several redrafts, sometimes both
Maybe this won't be as bad a season as I anticipated.
I did the same thing. 12 team superflex and I opted to go QB in the 1st and 3rd, then couldn't pass on Andrews in the 4th so I ended up with Watson as my WR2 and Dotson as my flex. Watson showed me enough last season that as long as Jordan Love is competent, Watson's got the chops to turn in a fine WR2 performance, with top 12 upside if the TDs fall favorably.

Odell Beckham
Tyreek Hill
AJ Brown
Justin Jefferson
Ja'Marr Chase
Christian Watson
Chris Olave

DRAFT OLAVE AND WATSON

15th in yards per target
7th in catch rate
12th in aDOT
All good. But he has Jordan Love at QB now, so it'll be interesting to see how these numbers shake out.

Odell Beckham
Tyreek Hill
AJ Brown
Justin Jefferson
Ja'Marr Chase
Christian Watson
Chris Olave

DRAFT OLAVE AND WATSON

15th in yards per target
7th in catch rate
12th in aDOT
All good. But he has Jordan Love at QB now, so it'll be interesting to see how these numbers shake out.
IM not sure why everyone is down on Love, dude was a 1st draft pick (26th overall) and sat behind one of the greatest QB's for 3 years and learned. Rodgers did the same thing behind Farve and look how good Rodgers turned out. Yes that doesn't work for everyone but I'd gamble that Love is ready to go and I'm sure eager to get his chance. I just don't see how Love is a downgrade as much as everyone else does I guess.

Last edited:
IM not sure why everyone is down on Love, dude was a 1st draft pick (20th overall) and sat behind one of the greatest QB's for 3 years and learned. Rodgers did the same thing behind Farve and look how good Rodgers turned out. Yes that doesn't work for everyone but I'd gamble that Love is ready to go and I'm sure eager to get his chance. I just don't see how Love is a downgrade as much as everyone else does I guess.
Love was 26th overall.

Would love to have him as my WR3 but it aint going to happen when is ADP is in the 4th round.

Agreed that Watson would be lucky to have V-Jax's career, but man that's a weird comp to me. They are very different WRs, in both size and style. V-Jax was a lot more physical, which makes sense as he was 20 pounds heavier. Watson is a ton faster than V-Jax ever was and is way better after the catch. V-Jax was more like Mike Evans, Watson is more like AJ Brown I think, not that he's on that level (yet) but he's much more of a RAC guy. V-Jax wasn't taking end arounds for TDs.
I think it’s more the homerun ability on few targets.

Odell Beckham
Tyreek Hill
AJ Brown
Justin Jefferson
Ja'Marr Chase
Christian Watson
Chris Olave

DRAFT OLAVE AND WATSON

15th in yards per target
7th in catch rate
12th in aDOT
IM not sure why everyone is down on Love, dude was a 1st draft pick (26th overall) and sat behind one of the greatest QB's for 3 years and learned. Rodgers did the same thing behind Farve and look how good Rodgers turned out. Yes that doesn't work for everyone but I'd gamble that Love is ready to go and I'm sure eager to get his chance. I just don't see how Love is a downgrade as much as everyone else does I guess.
Nice post. i was completely disregarding Love for no particular reason but everything you say is spot on and makes me look at his situation differently. 👍

IM not sure why everyone is down on Love, dude was a 1st draft pick (20th overall) and sat behind one of the greatest QB's for 3 years and learned. Rodgers did the same thing behind Farve and look how good Rodgers turned out. Yes that doesn't work for everyone but I'd gamble that Love is ready to go and I'm sure eager to get his chance. I just don't see how Love is a downgrade as much as everyone else does I guess.
Love was 26th overall.
I don't think that people are down on Love as much as they aren't up on him because he hasn't done anything but sit behind Rodgers yet. Could he be a top 10 QB? Maybe Could he end up a game manager and #2 backup QB in fantasy? Yes. The later is always more likely.

That said, I'm hoping Love can find Watson A LOT, I need it to happen.

Love was 26th overall.
IIRC Rodgers was 24th overall. I know it's an easy point to bring up Watson had Rodgers last year, but Rodgers was just average last year. I think Love can match Rodgers last year

Love was 26th overall.
IIRC Rodgers was 24th overall. I know it's an easy point to bring up Watson had Rodgers last year, but Rodgers was just average last year. I think Love can match Rodgers last year
Given Rodgers name and HOF status, it just isn't a surprise that people are quick to say Love isn't just going to come in and take over and pull a Rodgers. Within context of Rodgers being AVERAGE is a different issue, and it's entirely plausible that Love can pull off being #24. I think that is why he is on the WW in 12 team leagues along with upside guys like Howell.

I drafted Love as a backup to Tua. It may be that Love gradually progresses throughout the season but I'll gamble on him being a solid scorer. The five games GB plays before their Week 6 bye feature one decent defense (New Orleans) and the rest are probably average to bad (@CHI, @ATL, DET, @LV).

Edit: Yes, I thought this was the J Love thread.

Last edited:
Watson in the 4th when you can get Jaylen Reed in the 14th? Both 2nd round picks one year apart. I expect Reed to become the #2 sooner than later. Don’t think Reed and Watson will be that far apart at years end.

Odell Beckham
Tyreek Hill
AJ Brown
Justin Jefferson
Ja'Marr Chase
Christian Watson
Chris Olave

DRAFT OLAVE AND WATSON

15th in yards per target
7th in catch rate
12th in aDOT
and he flashed albeit in limited action so far. and the Packers obviously believe in him.

Would love to have him as my WR3 but it aint going to happen when is ADP is in the 4th round.
so then he could be your WR4

Love was 26th overall.
It was an unusual draft. He was a legitimate #1 consideration where the 49ers took Alex Smith instead. Then the following teams had no need for a QB and no one wanting to trade up for one. Then somehow fell to #24 where the Packers swoop down on him. He wouldn't have lasted past that though as Washington took Jason Campbell with the #25 pick.

No way was Love considered a legitimate pick any higher than where was picked.

Watson in the 4th when you can get Jaylen Reed in the 14th? Both 2nd round picks one year apart. I expect Reed to become the #2 sooner than later. Don’t think Reed and Watson will be that far apart at years end.
Im sorry but they are not going to finish anywhere close to each other. Big disagree here and there are other rookie wrs I'd rather have on my bench all day

Love was 26th overall.
It was an unusual draft. He was a legitimate #1 consideration where the 49ers took Alex Smith instead. Then the following teams had no need for a QB and no one wanting to trade up for one. Then somehow fell to #24 where the Packers swoop down on him. He wouldn't have lasted past that though as Washington took Jason Campbell with the #25 pick.

Yes but to compare Love to peak Rodgers just isn't fair or correct process. Let's compare Love this year to Rodgers' 2022 or even Rodgers' first year as a starter. I think those are achievable for Love. And if Love can match Rodgers' 2022 then I think Watson will be just fine.

Rodgers threw for 3700 yards, 26 TDs and 12 INTs last year. I don't think that's out of the realm of possibilities for Love

Love was 26th overall.

It's a tough row to hoe, being a lifelong 'skins fan.
:wall:So near, and yet so far :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread