What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Christian Watson, GB (1 Viewer)

I needed only a few points from him to advance, so I watched him closely early and he was consistently open and yet was not targeted. I know that I am not even close to an NFL scout, but he looks really good to me.
In Redrafts for Week 16, he's a total wildcard and Doubs is back in the cuts, maybe some of you are more dynasty slanted so that might be the space between some of us.
I'm only concerned about next week

The fact he's open and I saw the same thing you did and he's not being targeted by Rodgers in the first Half of football games is disturbing

47 WRs had a higher PPR for week 15

His 3-4 catches a week are a concern, but I would start him in flex if I had him just for the upside.
I have to decide who to sit between him, Etienne and McKinnon in full ppr. I’m thinking I sit Watson since I’m favored but I don’t think I can.

47 WRs had a higher PPR for week 15

His 3-4 catches a week are a concern, but I would start him in flex if I had him just for the upside.

If you need a homerun to win, he's a good option because he'll get those swings every week.

If you need steady production from a WR that gets plenty of looks, then this is not the year for Watson. Last night was what you get without those long splash plays connecting.

2023 will be interesting assuming QB stays the same and these WRs stay the same.

I took Watson in a few spots in rookie drafts but wasn't thrilled with it, and I was ready to write him off as a bust halfway through the season because that's what I'm conditioned to do now if a rookie WR isn't immediately productive his first two months of his career. Pretty happy with him so far. I'm hoping there's a chance to see how he does in a game with Jordan Love once the Packers are eliminated.

Wish I had him in any of my dynasty leagues. I had the chance but clicked some guy maned Skyy Moore instead.

I drafted Moore with the 1.09. I drafted Pickens and Watson with the 1.12 and 2.01. I know it's anecdotal and personal, but I think that's where consensus was concerning the three. Especially if you drafted in May like we did.

I later traded Pickens in a package for Davante Adams in what turned out okay so far, and Moore in a horrible trade for Cordarrelle and James Robinson. I also gave up Pacheco in that one. Really bad trade. We're all fallible.

Moore is going to need the situation in KC to clear out and if he adapts to the slot, I think he'll be a good producer for PPR purposes. Unless they see stuff that they don't like and replace him, which is possible. But he deserves a bit of time given that KC is actually stacked with contracts (not necessarily of great talents) at WR for this year.

Pretty happy with him so far. I'm hoping there's a chance to see how he does in a game with Jordan Love once the Packers are eliminated.

It's funny that we might be both thinking the same thing. I personally think we'll both regret it if he gets Love as his QB for the future. I don't know. I'd rather have him learn what Rodgers is trying to do. It sure worked for less of a specimen like Adams, who is not chopped liver, but not of Watson's stature or speed. He's a master technician, Adams is, and if Watson could do 1/2 to 3/4 of what Adams can do, you'd have the WR3 in dynasty, only behind Jefferson and Chase.

It's funny that we might be both thinking the same thing. I personally think we'll both regret it if he gets Love as his QB for the future. I don't know. I'd rather have him learn what Rodgers is trying to do. It sure worked for less of a specimen like Adams, who is not chopped liver, but not of Watson's stature or speed. He's a master technician, Adams is, and if Watson could do 1/2 to 3/4 of what Adams can do, you'd have the WR3 in dynasty, only behind Jefferson and Chase.

I'd rather have Rodgers throwing to him, too -- even if it's just the 2022 version of Rodgers -- but I still think there's a decent chance Rodgers retires. The funny thing is that, with all that's been made about how much Rodgers gets frustrated with rookie WRs, it's the emergence of Watson and Doubs that might make him want to stick around.

Regarding Adams: He didn't even break out until his third season, and Watson and Doubs both should surpass Adams's rookie-year numbers despite playing in 4-5 fewer games than Adams (who played his whole rookie season). Granted, Adams was playing behind Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb, but he was also playing with peak Rodgers.

Last night was what you get without those long splash plays connecting.

Guy is averaging over 20 a game since Week 10. 8.6 is his new floor. What on earth are people talking about? Of course if we subtract his long plays he loses points. Guy is currently 43rd overall in PPR. For the year. Missing four games.

Agreed, when 2 of his 4-5 touches per game go for 40+ yd TDs there is a big payoff.

Christian Watson - WR, Packers @ Dolphins

Watson's amazing touchdown streak came to an end and he put up somewhat of a dud in Week 15 with four receptions for 46 yards (WR48). In that game, he didn't make his first catch until the third quarter, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Romeo Doubs is back in the fold and while that takes away some production, that'll hurt Allen Lazard more than Watson. Aaron Rodgers made it a point to feed Watson late in the game. The Dolphins' defense has given up seven touchdown passes in their last three games and in two of those they've let up over 300 passing yards. The Dolphins' secondary has been banged up over the past couple of weeks and that only heightens the optimism for Watson. Get ready for the bounce back.

Watson's amazing touchdown streak came to an end and he put up somewhat of a dud in Week 15 with four receptions for 46 yards (WR48). In that game, he didn't make his first catch until the third quarter, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Romeo Doubs is back in the fold and while that takes away some production, that'll hurt Allen Lazard more than Watson. Aaron Rodgers made it a point to feed Watson late in the game. The Dolphins' defense has given up seven touchdown passes in their last three games and in two of those they've let up over 300 passing yards. The Dolphins' secondary has been banged up over the past couple of weeks and that only heightens the optimism for Watson. Get ready for the bounce back.
There's more to Watson's week 15 performance. Early in the game, he was targeted on a short pass in the end zone, but he and Ramsay got their feet tangled - could've been called DPI, but was a better non-call. He also drew a 16 yard DPI on the first play of the 4th quarter. And then he missed Rodger's hand signal on the last drive, a play that could've been a TD ("You wanna catch touchdowns, you run the right routes,” a smiling Rodgers told ESPN’s Lisa Salters during a postgame interview). On the play before, Watson almost broke a tackle on an 8 yard pass but was barely tackled at the 4. Could've been a huge night. I expect Rodgers to test Miami's secondary on Sunday and be successful with play action.

There's more to Watson's week 15 performance. Early in the game, he was targeted on a short pass in the end zone, but he and Ramsay got their feet tangled - could've been called DPI, but was a better non-call. He also drew a 16 yard DPI on the first play of the 4th quarter. And then he missed Rodger's hand signal on the last drive, a play that could've been a TD ("You wanna catch touchdowns, you run the right routes,” a smiling Rodgers told ESPN’s Lisa Salters during a postgame interview). On the play before, Watson almost broke a tackle on an 8 yard pass but was barely tackled at the 4. Could've been a huge night. I expect Rodgers to test Miami's secondary on Sunday and be successful with play action.
Would you start him over Etienne, and Zeke in the flex? Full ppr.

GTD at 4:25 truly blows. Isaiah Hodgins, looks like it’s going to be up to you to bring me home the cup…

Christian Watson caught 5-of-6 targets for 104 yards in the Packers' Week 18 loss to the Lions, adding 12 yards on two carries.​

The highlight of the game for the rookie wide receiver came in the second half when he came down with a 45-yard pass down the sideline with the defender draped over his back, fighting off a defensive pass interference penalty to secure the catch. There is no question Watson has been the most dynamic playmaker for the Packers when on the field this season, ending his rookie year with 36 catches for 507 yards and seven touchdowns. Watson clearly has room to grow this offseason but the future looks bright for the speedy receiver with alpha traits.
Jan 9, 2023, 12:30 AM ET

He's tough to pin down for next year.

Definitely showed he's got the talent. How much of his success was tied to having Rodgers at QB? Is he good enough to succeed with Love?

Just wanted to pop in and remind everybody that he runs a 4.36 at 6'4" and 210 lbs. putting him in the 98th percentile for speed.

This guy is so fast that Aaron Rodgers says you can hear him.

He housed eight touchdowns last year and they weren't of the Chase Claypool one-yard end around variety. He was housing fifty yard jet sweeps against Chicago.

Love his potential. That is all.

I think Watson is being criminally undervalued right now. He's currently WR30 in best ball drafts, and that feels crazy low. I think there is an argument for top-15.

I don't see a real difference between him and Chris Olave. Watson has almost no target competition and is likely on a team that will try to run first but likely will be playing from behind.

Watson is my #1 value player at the moment regardless of position.

Dwain McFarland @dwainmcfarland
Christian Watson battled hamstring injuries early last season.

BUT, once he took over a full-time role in Week 10, he SMASHED.

YES, his TDs will regress, but he also did other things that matter -- He EARNED targets and air yards at WR1/WR2 levels.

Don't draft scared.

Could argue he should go closer to Olave/Wilson... but okay with where he is at, given smaller sample and lesser collegiate profile.

Round 4 is a good price on UD, IMO. Rather have him over Deebo, Moore, M Williams and Jeudy. Flat WRs, but Watson has blowup potential.

Just wanted to pop in and remind everybody that he runs a 4.36 at 6'4" and 210 lbs. putting him in the 98th percentile for speed.

He housed eight touchdowns last year and they weren't of the Chase Claypool one-yard end around variety. He was housing fifty yard jet sweeps against Chicago.

I think Watson is being criminally undervalued right now. He's currently WR30 in best ball drafts, and that feels crazy low. I think there is an argument for top-15.

I don't see a real difference between him and Chris Olave. Watson has almost no target competition and is likely on a team that will try to run first but likely will be playing from behind.

-I like the optimism you both posted since the Draft, time to focus on 2023. I was high on Watson coming out of college, I was a Elijah Moore hype machine in '21, Watson was a guy I liked a lot in '22. I bring them both up because they exhibited a stretch of games that included multiple TDs or mass production over a stretch their Rookie Year which would seem very promising even if there are questions.

-As far as Watson's outlook in 2023, I'm trying to keep an open mind but the downgrade to Love who is largely unproven and looked very average in games, I am concerned Watson has a ceiling, I'll need to see more from the cam reports in Aug vs the hype in May or June. I would like to have Watson on an undervalued list but my guess is he will go a little early for me. I drafted Watson as my last guy on the bench in many leagues a year ago, I had to cut him in a few but I did very well with him the 2nd Half of the '22 season.

-I like the optimism you both posted since the Draft, time to focus on 2023. I was high on Watson coming out of college, I was a Elijah Moore hype machine in '21, Watson was a guy I liked a lot in '22. I bring them both up because they exhibited a stretch of games that included multiple TDs or mass production over a stretch their Rookie Year which would seem very promising even if there are questions.

-As far as Watson's outlook in 2023, I'm trying to keep an open mind but the downgrade to Love who is largely unproven and looked very average in games, I am concerned Watson has a ceiling, I'll need to see more from the cam reports in Aug vs the hype in May or June. I would like to have Watson on an undervalued list but my guess is he will go a little early for me. I drafted Watson as my last guy on the bench in many leagues a year ago, I had to cut him in a few but I did very well with him the 2nd Half of the '22 season.
Like you, I like Watson. However, I'm still largely concern how he was used during last year as gadget type and deep threat. And he still is raw in route-running and I dont think he's great at separation. All of those concerns bring up a similar one year wonder like Chase Claypool in his rookie year.

Like you, I like Watson. However, I'm still largely concern how he was used during last year as gadget type and deep threat. And he still is raw in route-running and I dont think he's great at separation. All of those concerns bring up a similar one year wonder like Chase Claypool in his rookie year.
I can see some similarities to Claypool, but the biggest difference to me, is that the Steelers had a target monster in Diontae Johnson, whereas Green Bay has nobody that is any more established than Watson. Also, while we may not have totally known it at the time, Claypool seems to have some maturity issues, that have played a role in him not taking the next step.

ETA: I don't think Claypool's subsequent disappointment should scare us off this type of player.

He is still a raw route runner, per Reception Perception's stats, which other people are using unattributed to Matt Harmon, something they shouldn't do. He had less-than stellar stats, but none that couldn't be overcome with some diligence on his part. Or so I'm led to believe. Route running is part natural and part something you can work on. Let's hope he works enough to where he's not just a deep threat with all the fantasy variance that limitation brings.

I think he's very different than Claypool. Even though they both came from college offenses that didn't throw very much, I believe Watson's dominator rating was better. It was. Watson's was 42%, Claypool's was 33%, and Watson broke out a year earlier than Claypool, who didn't until he was over twenty-one. I also think that Claypool benefited from that four touchdown game where he scored from three times inside the ten, IIRC. I remember thinking that was a bit of a distorted stat at the end of the year because of that game. I think he had two end arounds, though I could be mistaken.

Watson's touchdowns were different because even though they come from a stat that will regress to the mean in some form his were part of the ebb and flow of the game. I don't think he got that many red zone opportunities, nor did he command the most opportunities on his team last year. But -- and this is a big but -- his yards per route run was outstanding. It hovered somewhere around a 2.45. So when he was running routes, he was seeing the ball, and those were for long gains.

I'm a believer, but I understand the fear. He needs to tighten up his route running and really work on that or he won't take the next step. Let's hope he does that and I'm celebrating instead of weeping like I would have been with Claypool. (I tried to acquire him numerous times that year, and I'm glad I was rejected. I was willing to pony up some really good assets, but the GM decided he wasn't trading him. Actually, it's a long story about the guy in my league who almost refuses to trade, but that's for another time.)

Last edited:
I wish I could find an old NFL scouting report I read a few weeks ago about CW. It went into great detail about his makeup and intelligence. I hope he's able to continue his ascension with Love in '23.

I REALLY struggle with him.

He was really efficient last year. 7 TD's on 41 catches and 66 Targets. I can certainly appreciate the upside. And maybe that's the ticket here.

On the flip side--he only got 66 Targets in 14 games (<5 per game) with Rodgers. Is he going to see a ton of volume this year? Does the TD efficiency fall back to earth? I don't envision Love as an upgrade to Rodgers. But Rodgers wasn't the same guy last season, either.

I think his range of outcomes is pretty wide.

I REALLY struggle with him.

He was really efficient last year. 7 TD's on 41 catches and 66 Targets. I can certainly appreciate the upside. And maybe that's the ticket here.

On the flip side--he only got 66 Targets in 14 games (<5 per game) with Rodgers. Is he going to see a ton of volume this year? Does the TD efficiency fall back to earth? I don't envision Love as an upgrade to Rodgers. But Rodgers wasn't the same guy last season, either.

I think his range of outcomes is pretty wide.
He was injured for 3 of the first 9 games and Rodgers is notorious for underusing rookie WRs.

Over the last 8 games he averaged 6.5 targets, 3.9 receptions & 65.4 yards with 0.9 TD/game.

While I wouldn't count on the TD efficiency to continue (I didn't last year either), I think his pro-rated 110 targets, 66 receptions and 1,111 yards is a good baseline to project around.

Users who are viewing this thread