What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Darius Slayton, NYG (1 Viewer)

Darius Slayton (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.

Slayton played nine snaps before going down in Week 3 against the Falcons. With Sterling Shepard (hamstring) also hurt last Sunday and DNP Wednesday, the Giants may be forced to go with Kenny Golladay, Kadarius Toney, and Collin Johnson against the Saints in Week 4.

Sep 29, 2021, 1:35 PM ET

Giants declared WR Darius Slayton (hamstring) out for Week 4 against the Saints.

Slayton and Sterling Shepard were both knocked out of Week 3 with hamstring injuries, and they'll both miss Week 4. Collin Johnson is likely to split time with C.J. Board in Slayton's deep threat outside role. While Kadarius Tony sees time in the slot, filling in for Shepard. The Giants offense have trouble getting much going downfield with two of Daniel Jones' top targets out this week.

RELATED: 

C.J. Board

, Collin Johnson

Oct 1, 2021, 2:17 PM ET

Darius Slayton (hamstring) remained sidelined at Thursday's practice. 

Slayton didn't practice at all last week and has now missed five practices in a row since injuring the hamstring against the Falcons in Week 3. He has to be considered doubtful for the game against the Cowboys on Sunday at this point. Monitor the Friday practice reports to see just how doubtful he'll be. 

Oct 7, 2021, 3:52 PM ET

Darius Slayton (hamstring) is out for Week 5 against the Cowboys.

Slayton's deep threat role on the outside will be filled by John Ross, who saw a 9% target share in Week 4, with a 22.3 aDOT. When Slayton returns it's possible his role is reduced, not by Ross but by Kadarius Toney. Toney has played well in the slot and could force Sterling Shepard to play more on the outside, potentially limiting Slayton's routes. Toney's performance in Week 5 could be a key factor for Slayton's role in Week 6, assuming the third-year wide receiver is ready to return to action.

Oct 8, 2021, 2:51 PM ET

Darius Slayton failed to catch either of his two targets in the Giants' Week 8 loss to the Chiefs.

Even with Kenny Golladay out and Sterling Shepard getting hurt in the second quarter, Slayton continued to make little impact in the Giants' offense. He hasn't scored since Week 2 and has been held to 65 yards or less in every game this year. With Kadarius Toney moving past Slayton on the depth chart and target totem pole, Slayton can be ignored in fantasy. He's been loosely rumored as a potential trade target.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Mediocre player, bad QB play, buried behind Shepherd, Golladay, Toney, Ross etc when they are healthy.  I doubt his fantasy relevance  at all moving forward 

Dan Duggan of The Athletic reports that the Giants are shopping WR Darius Slayton.

Stuck behind KaDarius Toney (at least for the moment), Kenny Golladay, and Sterling Shepard, Slayton finished with just 28 catches in 2021. He's a good change-of-scenery candidate. "Don't be surprised if Slayton doesn't make the final roster if the Giants aren't able to find a trade partner and their cap situation remains tight," adds Duggan, who also notes that the cap space lost by trading Toney would make the team more likely to move Slayton. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 26, 2022, 2:05 PM ET

Slayton is somewhat interesting in my opinion. He had a solid rookie season, but has seemingly only gotten worse ever since. Did teams figure him out, or was it a Jason Garrett/Joe Judge problem?

I think he might be one of those guys, who could end up being a solid #3 WR with a change of scenery. He's another guy like Viska or Reagor (though probably behind both) where I'd happily trade a late round pick to take a flier on. 

Zack Rosenblatt of The Star-Ledger reports that WR Darius Slayton could be a candidate to be released.

The Giants are up against the cap and cutting Slayton would save $2.54 million. Slayton "rarely worked with the first-team offense during live drills and generally struggled to catch passes," per Rosenblatt. It was especially eye-opening to not see him with the first team because of how many receivers missed time for the Giants due to injury. 

SOURCE: Zack Rosenblatt on Twitter

Jun 9, 2022, 2:25 PM ET

Darius Slayton caught 1-of-3 targets for 18 yards in the Giants' Week 6 win over the Ravens.

After last week's 6/79 performance against the Packers, Slayton fell back to earth in Week 6 against the Ravens. The veteran receiver drew just three targets on the afternoon, with his lone catch coming on an 18-yard play that helped set up a Wan'Dale Robinson touchdown. Slayton did see two end zone targets, including one that led to a pass-interference penalty, putting Saquon Barkley in position for the game-winning touchdown from one yard out. With rookie wide receiver Wan'Dale Robinson back, Slayton will be hard to trust in Week 7 against the Jaguars.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Darius Slayton caught 3-of-6 targets for 58 yards and a touchdown in the Giants’ Week 7 win over the Jaguars.

Once the forgotten man in the Giants’ receiving room, Slayton has been a breath of fresh air. He wasted no time making his presence felt Sunday, beating the corner for a 32-yard touchdown on the Giants’ first drive. As the game went on, the team relied more on the run. Slayton remains a long shot flex play.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Not a lot of talk on Slayton for ROS. Giants O runs through Barkley, but Slayton is last man standing at WR on a playoff caliber team. Has been producing recently. Not a lot on the waiver wire, but seems like he's a decent add for WR desperate teams down the stretch. They get DET, MIN, and WAS 2x.

Not a lot of talk on Slayton for ROS. Giants O runs through Barkley, but Slayton is last man standing at WR on a playoff caliber team. Has been producing recently. Not a lot on the waiver wire, but seems like he's a decent add for WR desperate teams down the stretch. They get DET, MIN, and WAS 2x.
There is no question he is an add. #1 WR's have value.

He really flashed his rookie year but seemed to fall down a peg after that. He is only 25 and seems to have matured a bit and is taking advantage of his opportunities. He is obviously capable of the big play and has decent speed. He took a pay cut and is in the final year of his contract. There is no doubt the Giants will add pass catchers next season so even if he resigns with NYG he will have additional competition. I like him as a player but there is a lot of uncertainty going past this year. Daniel Jones and himself came into the league the same year so they have chemistry so staying in NY may be his best bet at production (depending on what they do at QB).

Wan’dale looking iffy for this Sunday. Could be a huge target week for Slayton.

If I don’t get Watson on waivers today, may drop Mooney for Slayton.

Contract year, new staff, healthy Barkley, absolute pile of messy question marks at the WR position on their team so the opportunity is/was there for him to reemerge. He has saved my bacon in a few spots these last couple weeks and I need more this week.

1st game as an NFL Pro-3/82
2/50/2TDs
10/121/2TDs
5/154/2TDs

2nd Year-Game 1
8/102/2TDs
8/129

Last 3 Weeks
3/58/TD
5/66
3/95/TD

And if you feel garroted of late with injuries, you could do worse than roll the dice here.
The Houston Texans? Sounds like a fairly good match up for him.
Stand corrected on that, even better they play the Detroit Lions!
That should be a bonanza for Slayton, 80 yds and a score

Last edited:
Most of the Giant’s WRs are now either gone, hurt or named Galloway. This is Slayton’s big chance and he’s been taking advantage of it lately. I lost Kupp and Tyreek Hill is on bye, so Slayton has to bail me out (I’m tied for our league lead but receivers was my strength).

Darius Slayton caught 6-of-8 targets for 90 yards in the Giants' Week 13 matchup against the Commanders.​

Slayton led the Giants in receiving in this one, and hauled in a 55-yard reception that helped setup a Saquon Barkley rushing touchdown in the first quarter. However, with the game on the line late in the fourth quarter, Slayton had a chance to put the Giants in a position to win the game in regulation. Quarterback Daniel Jones found Slayton for a gain of 50+ yards just moments after Washington had tied the game at 20-20, but the speedy wide receiver was unable to maintain possession as he fell to the ground, costing the Giants a chance at a potential game-winning field goal. Slayton has been a solid fantasy producer of late, going for double-digit PPR points in six of his last eight contests. He'll have some FLEX appeal in next week's contest against the Eagles.
Dec 4, 2022, 6:14 PM ET

Since Week 7...
3/58/TD
5/66
3/95/TD
5/86
3/63
6/90

Double Digits every week and he just sits on the end of my bench
I think that’s good for you.
I'd like to start him
Why I cannot feel secure getting 10-12-14 out of my WR3 spot, not sure.
It didn't make up for any of my horrific calls this week, but I did manage to start Slayton over Deebo. The few extra points were not enough to salvage a win sadly (reference the aforementioned horrific calls).

Darius Slayton caught 5-of-7 targets for 23 yards in the Giants’ Week 15 win over the Commanders.

Slayton continues his resurgence as the top wide receiver in New York but simply wasn't needed for much of this game due to the dominance of the Giants' defense throughout. A strip sack touchdown in the second quarter and fumble recover inside their own red zone were massive swings in the outcome of the game, both of which suppressed the aerial aggression from the Giants. Most of the volume that did flow through the air was confined to short area work, with Slayton's long grab on the night going for only seven yards.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Darius Slayton caught 4-of-8 targets for 88 yards in the Giants' Wild Card Round win over the Vikings.

Slayton finished second to Isaiah Hodgins in receiving yards. It's possible he could have led the team had he not dropped a huge pass late in the fourth quarter. Slayton was coming across the middle of the field, and the ball bounced off of him. Had he secured the catch and run into the open field ahead of him, the Giants would have been able to run out the clock with a new set of downs. Instead, they had to punt the ball away and give the Vikings one more opportunity. Ultimately, the mistake did not prove costly, as the Vikings were stopped on their final drive. Slayton will serve as the Giants' primary deep threat against the Eagles in the Divisional Round, but he does not have a clear lead on Hodgins or Richie James in the target pecking order.
- NBCSportsEDGE

Last edited:

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports the Giants would "like" to re-sign Darius Slayton "assuming the price is right."​

Slayton started 2022 on the outs with the new regime in New York, even taking a paycut, but bounced back from a down 2021 season to post a 46/724/2 line. He was invaluable for the Giants down the stretch and will enter free agency at 26. It'll be interesting to see how Slayton's market develops, as on paper he appears to be one of the stronger free agents at the position.
SOURCE: ESPN
Mar 12, 2023, 1:30 PM ET

I'd assume he's gone baby, gone. Not really a great practice to pay WR4's (WR3 down the stretch) unless you're close, and the Giants should have.

Whomever they draft at WR in the first 2 rounds or the 2023 NFL Draft
Hodgins
Wan'Dale
Sheperd

Marcus/Colin Johnson as rotational WRs

w/ James/Slayton unsigned

Last edited:

Giants re-signed Darius Slayton to a two-year contract.

This is quite a reversal from a Giants braintrust that demanded Slayton take a paycut to stay on the roster before 2022. Slayton bounced back after he was entrusted with a real role, and the Giants appeared to change their tune on him as well early in free agency. There's now a ton of competition at the wideout spot for the Giants between Parris Campbell, Slayton, Isaiah Hodgins, Wan'Dale Robinson (pending injury return), and Sterling Shepard (also pending injury return). It's going to be hard to understand who to trust, but a two-year contract for Slayton would seem to point to him being someone the Giants want to start.
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Mar 16, 2023 at 4:51 PM ET

I legit don't understand this signing unless the plan is the Giants aren't looking to draft a top WR at all. By all reports, Wan'Dale is supposed to be ready by training camp; same with Shep. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread