What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jameson Williams, DET (1 Viewer)

As the Lion losses add up....the less and less chance that JW see's the field in 2022 Season.

Really no reason to even dress J-Will this season as Lions are going nowhere fast.
That may be factually correct, but I feel certain he is going to play.
If he is fully healed at some point this year, there is absolutely reason for him to see the field. Some WR's take 2-3 years for the system to start clicking for them. Shouldn't delay if they believe he is truly healed this season.

-- Jameson Williams owner

I think he will see some time, just not sure how relevant he will be FF wise. Just heard today on ESPN that he is still not even ready to practice yet.
Yeah, that's mostly what I'm expecting. I'd like to just see him out there getting play. Not necessarily exploding onto the scene.

Picked up Josh Reynolds who was floating out there for quite a while, someone immediately grabbed Jameson Willaims and I thought I missed some info but it looks like he is a minimum of 2-3 weeks from practice and I'm not trying to be rude but it sounds like it could easily be another month before he will see any real action or large number of snaps and that might be generous. They don't seem to be in a hurry to rush him back and they already have an impactful WR in AMSB

As the Lion losses add up....the less and less chance that JW see's the field in 2022 Season.

Really no reason to even dress J-Will this season as Lions are going nowhere fast.
If he is fully healed at some point this year, there is absolutely reason for him to see the field. Some WR's take 2-3 years for the system to start clicking for them. Shouldn't delay if they believe he is truly healed this season.

There is more reason NOT to see the field, especially as the season winds down and the team's play-off hopes dwindle.

-- Jameson Williams Dynasty Owner

Plus, if he comes back in week 13, you'll be tempted to plug him in and he'll be on a snap count. For the record, I'm also a redraft owner and would love him come back this season as a difference maker. Not so sure it makes sense for the Lions who should have a long term outlook.

:kicksrock: :oldunsure:
What’s his value these days?
Got an offer of ekeler and a late 23 1st in SF for Jameson. I might just be a fan but I’m not jumping on it. Of course it doesn’t help that this team is 1-5 even with a decent roster.

:kicksrock: :oldunsure:
Got an offer of ekeler and a late 23 1st in SF for Jameson. I might just be a fan but I’m not jumping on it. Of course it doesn’t help that this team is 1-5 even with a decent roster.
Dunno, that seems like a decent offer? I guess it depends on what you think of Ekeler's longetivity prospects.

I think he will see some time, just not sure how relevant he will be FF wise. Just heard today on ESPN that he is still not even ready to practice yet.
Yeah, that's mostly what I'm expecting. I'd like to just see him out there getting play. Not necessarily exploding onto the scene.
I'm a fan of at least letting a rookie get on the field for a couple games, let him get adjusted to the NFL, instead of being a raw rookie all over again.

Lions head coach Dan Campbell said WR Jameson Williams (ACL) will play this season.​

Campbell said "we feel like he's really coming on" and the team believes Williams -- a first-round pick out of Alabama who tore his ACL in January -- will play this season. "When he's ready, we'll get him up and ready to go." Williams at full health profiles as the ideal downfield threat alongside intermediate pass catcher Amon-Ra St. Brown. It appears the Lions are being careful with their first-round wideout. Fantasy managers stashing Williams might not be able to deploy him until the regular season's final month or so.
SOURCE: Kyle Meinke on Twitter
Oct 19, 2022, 1:00 PM ET

That’s a bummer. Was hoping to see him play a number of games to see if he could be a keeper for me for next year.

He’s at least a month out from playing per Dan Campbell today.
Starting to kinda get the feeling this might end up a redshirt year.

I’m sure he’ll get on the field barring any setbacks. He’s progressing but this has been their plan from Day 1 - basically eating the first year of his cheaper rookie deal. But one thing I’m 100% confident is they won’t reason amongst themselves “well our record is x-xx so let’s pack it in until May OTAs Jameson.” They want to see what they have, and a little late season success this year will be a good building block for him.

Look at how they handled Swift’s second shoulder injury last year. 75-90% of TSP figures they’d shut him down, lost season, why risk it, they started 0-10-1 so why bother. Said all along they wanted him to finish the year. Suited up the last two weeks, albeit in a reduced role.

Just from an ethos standpoint they won’t redshirt Jameson. He will play Dec/Jan games - last 6 games - and maybe 1-2 more around turkey day.

I’m sure he’ll get on the field barring any setbacks. He’s progressing but this has been their plan from Day 1 - basically eating the first year of his cheaper rookie deal. But one thing I’m 100% confident is they won’t reason amongst themselves “well our record is x-xx so let’s pack it in until May OTAs Jameson.” They want to see what they have, and a little late season success this year will be a good building block for him.

Look at how they handled Swift’s second shoulder injury last year. 75-90% of TSP figures they’d shut him down, lost season, why risk it, they started 0-10-1 so why bother. Said all along they wanted him to finish the year. Suited up the last two weeks, albeit in a reduced role.

Just from an ethos standpoint they won’t redshirt Jameson. He will play Dec/Jan games - last 6 games - and maybe 1-2 more around turkey day.

I think fantasy heads forget that these players actually love playing football, and are going to get on the field whenever they are healthy. The only reason to ever sit a player is in the last game of the season with teams moving on to the playoffs and nothing to play for in terms of seeding.

I think fantasy heads forget that these players actually love playing football, and are going to get on the field whenever they are healthy. The only reason to ever sit a player is in the last game of the season with teams moving on to the playoffs and nothing to play for in terms of seeding.
Really not trying to be sarcastic and I appreciate that they love the game but... they also love getting paid. The business side of the equation might be to avoid any risk at all in a lost season. And here, the "business side" includes Jameson as well as the Lions.

People keep using the phrase "truly healthy" and I'm not sure what it means. I saw Jerry Rice come back in the SAME season after an ACL only to bust a knee cap upon his return. People do rush back from injury - sometimes for love of the games but they're still not ready. Look at this year's JK Dobbins saga... They waited and waited and thought he was ready and he probably wasn't. In Jameson's case, 21 months removed from injury is far safer than 11 months.. and I'm talking about full confidence in the knee. Will it go that way? Probably not but maybe it should.

ETA: In Rice's case it came out (after the injury) that knee-caps typically thin after ACL injury.

Really not trying to be sarcastic and I appreciate that they love the game but... they also love getting paid. The business side of the equation might be to avoid any risk at all in a lost season. And here, the "business side" includes Jameson as well as the Lions.

People keep using the phrase "truly healthy" and I'm not sure what it means. I saw Jerry Rice come back in the SAME season after an ACL only to bust a knee cap upon his return. People do rush back from injury - sometimes for love of the games but they're still not ready. Look at this year's JK Dobbins saga... They waited and waited and thought he was ready and he probably wasn't. In Jameson's case, 21 months removed from injury is far safer than 11 months.. and I'm talking about full confidence in the knee. Will it go that way? Probably not but maybe it should.

ETA: In Rice's case it came out (after the injury) that knee-caps typically thin after ACL injury.

JK Dobbins definitely wasn't ready. Beat writers were saying he was showing signs of injury all through pre-season and Dobbins was grumpy about it to the media. The signs were there. There were no such vibes from Gus Edwards, and he comes back and picks up right where he left off.

When Jameson is ready, he'll play. Period. Getting some games under his belt this year, if possible, is only going to allow him to hit the ground running next season. Remember, he'll be in growth mode over the next three seasons or so.

Another concern is with St Brown taking off this year where is Williams ceiling, 1B?
After seeing what he did to Georgia's defense last year, how good of a route runner he is, and his insane speed, I think his upside is off the charts no matter who else is on the field. He is capable of taking a 5 yard screen, slant, or crossing route to the house at any given time.

As a Lions fan I can't wait to see him play.

Josh Reynolds and Kalif Raymond together put up pretty good numbers. You could imagine Jameson coming in and hoovering up the vast majority of their targets. The pie has been pretty big.

Looking like week 13+. Not sure he's worth the hold in the IR spot if I have someone else to take that spot. Likely week 15 or so and then, would I play him right out of the box? NO. Some managers may benefit and be in need of a WR #3 / Flex play during fantasy playoffs?

Josh Reynolds and Kalif Raymond together put up pretty good numbers. You could imagine Jameson coming in and hoovering up the vast majority of their targets. The pie has been pretty big.
I would not recommend using a Hoover -- or any other brand of vacuum -- to pick up pie if you plan on eating it

Lot of red on his schedule when he does play:
  • Next 4 games: GB (28th), @CHI (29th), @NYG (30th), Thanksgiving BUF (24th FF PPR pts allowed to WRs)
  • WKs 13 & 14 are neutral matchups at home - JAX (16th) & MIN (14th)
  • WK 15 @NYJ (25th)
  • WK 16 @CAR (9th) - best matchup
  • WK 17 CHI (29th)
SOS projections a month or two out are silly, things change fast in the NFL, injuries happen. He’s talented & his OC gives him a schematic advantage. He can be productive, but it’s very unlikely he’ll be a league winner like ARSB a year ago.

Looking like week 13+. Not sure he's worth the hold in the IR spot if I have someone else to take that spot. Likely week 15 or so and then, would I play him right out of the box? NO. Some managers may benefit and be in need of a WR #3 / Flex play during fantasy playoffs?
I'm holding him for now in one of my two IR slots, but if I needed it for someone else I'd have no problem dropping him. Odds of being able to start him with confidence at any point this year are pretty slim. You'd basically need for him to come in on his first week back (when you're definitely sitting him) and pull an OBJ

Around the draft I was reading a month into the season, this has been a bummer for sure.

Yeah I was hoping for DAL or MIA coming out of the bye. Can’t blame them, though - you want to set him up for success and make sure he’s confident in his body again. Taking the long view is the right play.

Don't forget his first task is going to be to prove he can block. It's ugh, no doubt, but if he's gonna be a staple of that offense that they bring along properly then his first action will be about blocking well.
If the season is toast at this point, they might have a plan to have him do this route and that route at these depths by the end of the season....a plan to have him do everything so that in year two he's confident.
I really think it'll be more formulaic this year than him simply jumping in, running every play, and winning battles etc.
Maybe he's got a shmoo DB covering him so they go to him a bunch that week to build his confidence and get work in.
The Panthers have former first round picks for DBs. Sauce is rocking. There's gotta be a "be careful not to ask too much" vibe here too. This bird broke his wing and has to get confidence he's just as fast and all that

Don't forget his first task is going to be to prove he can block. It's ugh, no doubt, but if he's gonna be a staple of that offense that they bring along properly then his first action will be about blocking well.
If the season is toast at this point, they might have a plan to have him do this route and that route at these depths by the end of the season....a plan to have him do everything so that in year two he's confident.
I really think it'll be more formulaic this year than him simply jumping in, running every play, and winning battles etc.
Maybe he's got a shmoo DB covering him so they go to him a bunch that week to build his confidence and get work in.
The Panthers have former first round picks for DBs. Sauce is rocking. There's gotta be a "be careful not to ask too much" vibe here too. This bird broke his wing and has to get confidence he's just as fast and all that

would you say you're a glass half full kind of guy?

Same boat here. I’m about ready to cut him to manage my roster with other depth. Definitely some FOMO though as I believe in the talent. I’ll be mad if he puts up big playoff numbers and isn’t on my roster.

The one nice thing about him now is that he is 100% IR eligible. It gets tough to manage guys who are hurt but close to returning. Those questionable mid week statuses for guys who likely won’t play make it difficult to make other roster moves.

I'm guessing at this point they don't activate him at all this year....if he is not fully healthy in their opinion no reason to risk it with the team going no where.

Got an offer of ekeler and a late 23 1st in SF for Jameson

I stink at this, but I'd take that offer if you're anywhere near contending. That's actually a smash accept if I'm managing the team.

eta* really, that seems like a strong, strong offer for Williams. I'd accept that before he comes to his senses and revokes it.
Uuhh, yeah, that's a TERRIBLE deal for that guy. Take Ekeler and a 1st, jesus. I mean, WOW horrible

Lions coach Dan Campbell said of WR Jameson Williams (ACL): "I’m hoping sometime in December we get him."​

Williams' timeline looks to continue to be playoff flyer only in 2022. The final six weeks of the season for the Lions are against the Jaguars, Vikings, Jets, Panthers, Bears, and Packers. We would be surprised based on the continual timeline dragout if Williams got back before Week 14, and it should not surprise anyone if he doesn't suit up in 2022.
SOURCE: 97.1 FM (Detroit Radio)
Nov 8, 2022, 1:22 PM ET

I'm guessing at this point they don't activate him at all this year....if he is not fully healthy in their opinion no reason to risk it with the team going no where.
The risk is being mitigated by this delay. As long as we know they've been patient and he's been doing his PT (seems so) then I think it would be wise to get him in for a game or two.
Let him see the speed and athleticism of NFL CBs and experience enough so that during the off-season he knows I better work on this n that

"I think we're looking at December," Campbell expressed. "If I'm trying to forecast here a little bit, I'm hoping for sometime in December we get him."

It is not expected the speedy wideout will be shut down for his entire rookie season.

Campbell indicated there are still many benefits for the talented wideout to gain experience playing in the NFL this season.

The only factor that would preclude Williams from making his debut is if the team did not feel good about him physically, which isn't expected.

"I don't forecast that being an issue because I think when he can go, I think it would be good for him to go," Campbell said. "He needs some in-game experience, even if it's only for a couple of games -- two or three games. I think those are critical to get under his belt before next year."

"I think we're looking at December," Campbell expressed. "If I'm trying to forecast here a little bit, I'm hoping for sometime in December we get him."

It is not expected the speedy wideout will be shut down for his entire rookie season.

Campbell indicated there are still many benefits for the talented wideout to gain experience playing in the NFL this season.

The only factor that would preclude Williams from making his debut is if the team did not feel good about him physically, which isn't expected.

"I don't forecast that being an issue because I think when he can go, I think it would be good for him to go," Campbell said. "He needs some in-game experience, even if it's only for a couple of games -- two or three games. I think those are critical to get under his belt before next year."
I agree. If Williams is healthy enough to get the pass to practice and play he will. Screw this holding someone out for next year! Dumb. You drafted the player to perform. I don't care about your record or out of the playoffs. Develop your talent.

Edit: looking at week 13-14 before he sees the field. I have him on IR so what the heck.

I agree. If Williams is healthy enough to get the pass to practice and play he will. Screw this holding someone out for next year! Dumb. You drafted the player to perform. I don't care about your record or out of the playoffs. Develop your talent.

Edit: looking at week 13-14 before he sees the field. I have him on IR so what the heck.

This past summer, when it was announced that Jameson would start the season on the PUP, at least one person's take was that the "worst case" scenario was that he will return in week 5 and soon take a prominent role in the offense. More like the best case scenario... One delay led to another, then he was "at least a month away" and now we're talking about "some time in December". Let's assume the Lions have 3 or 4 wins, eliminated from play-off contention, and looking at two of four games in potential wintry conditions. Would I expose him to risk of reinjury in game conditions? No. Am I dumb? No. Are the Lions dumb? Maybe.

The Lions drafted an injured player knowing a red shirt rookie season was a possibility. They drafted him for the long haul, they drafted him for his career - not to make a token appearance in meaningless games.

Campbell doesn't sound overly certain here either... "think we're looking"... "trying to forecast"... "I'm hoping"... Even the quote above, which was truncated, was delivered with a caveat - "I think those are critical to get under his belt before next year. If you can do it." So, he isn't ready right now, and he may not be in three more weeks but then comes the magic moment when we is "fully" healed? I don't think it works that way. Healing is a continuum. You need flexibility, strength and conditioning.... We'll see how this plays out... maybe he is "ready" in early December and putting him on the field is more justified. However, I see less and less rationale the later it gets. But, by no means. would it be "dumb" to protect a player coming off a major injury.

This past summer, when it was announced that Jameson would start the season on the PUP, at least one person's take was that the "worst case" scenario was that he will return in week 5 and soon take a prominent role in the offense. More like the best case scenario... One delay led to another, then he was "at least a month away" and now we're talking about "some time in December". Let's assume the Lions have 3 or 4 wins, eliminated from play-off contention, and looking at two of four games in potential wintry conditions. Would I expose him to risk of reinjury in game conditions? No. Am I dumb? No. Are the Lions dumb? Maybe.

The Lions drafted an injured player knowing a red shirt rookie season was a possibility. They drafted him for the long haul, they drafted him for his career - not to make a token appearance in meaningless games.

Campbell doesn't sound overly certain here either... "think we're looking"... "trying to forecast"... "I'm hoping"... Even the quote above, which was truncated, was delivered with a caveat - "I think those are critical to get under his belt before next year. If you can do it." So, he isn't ready right now, and he may not be in three more weeks but then comes the magic moment when we is "fully" healed? I don't think it works that way. Healing is a continuum. You need flexibility, strength and conditioning.... We'll see how this plays out... maybe he is "ready" in early December and putting him on the field is more justified. However, I see less and less rationale the later it gets. But, by no means. would it be "dumb" to protect a player coming off a major injury.
Okay and it will be what it will be. Here coach believes it is good for him to get in 2-3 games.

2. DET - Jameson Williams won't play in November

Source: 97.1 FM The Ticket - Will Burchfield

Detroit Lions WR Jameson Williams (knee) continues to make progress from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered 10 months ago, but head coach Dan Campbell told the Stoney and Jansen Show that the team is 'looking at December' before trying to get him into a game.'I think we're looking at December. If I'm trying to forecast here a little bit, I'm hoping sometime in December we get him. ... When he can go, I think it would be good for him to go. He needs some in-game experience, even if it's only for a couple of games - two or three games. I think those are critical to get under his belt before next year if you can do it,' Campbell said.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Fantasy GMs have been patiently waiting for Williams to get onto the field. The Lions aren't going to rush the rookie into the lineup, especially since he has superstar upside if he plays up to his potential. In December, there might be an opportunity to add him to your fantasy rosters if he's going to get out there to gain valuable experience even though the Lions are in a lost season.

CBS:

Lions' Jameson Williams: Likely for post-Thanksgiving debut

by RotoWire Staff
(40 mins ago) Coach Dan Campbell said Wednesday that he expects Williams (knee) to be designated for a return from IR at some point after Thanksgiving, making Week 13 versus the Jaguars his earliest possible return date, Eric Woodyard of ESPN.com reports.
Campbell said it's possible that Williams practices before Thanksgiving, but that he doesn't expect the rookie first-round pick to do so, much less take the field Nov. 24 versus Buffalo even if he is activated in time. Woodard reports that Campbell offered either Week 13 versus Jacksonville or Week 14 against the Giants as more realistic return targets for Williams, who Detroit has avoided rushing back from his left ACL tear. The Lions have designated DJ Chark (ankle) to resume practicing Wednesday, so the receiving corps stands to receive a boost even before Williams is ready to contribute.

Lions designated Jameson Williams (knee) to return from injured reserve.​

Williams suffered a torn ACL in January during Alabama's national championship game against Georgia. His injury wasn't enough to stop the Lions from selecting him with the 12th overall pick in this year's draft, now they look to reap the rewards of taking a chance on the explosive receiver as they officially opened his 21-day practice window. It's unlikely he appears in Thursday's Thanksgiving tilt with the Bills, but Williams will return with some fantasy-friendly matchups left to go. The Lions have games against the Jaguars, Vikings, Jets, Panthers, Bears and Packers to close out the season, which should give Williams some fantasy upside once active.
Nov 21, 2022, 11:43 AM ET

Asked what Jameson Williams can provide the Lions this season after missing so much practice time, Dan Campbell says: "I know this: He can run. He can run. You either got it or you don't and he's got it."

MCDC today

The fastest player this season is Kenneth Walker, clocked at 22.1 mph. Last year, Jameson Williams was clocked at 23 mph.

Jamo could become the fastest man in the NFL when he makes his NFL debut, and the Lions can't wait.

Nothing wrong with stretching out the defense. Should give AMSB more room underneath, and maybe keep away a heavy box on the running backs.

Users who are viewing this thread