What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, SEA (2 Viewers)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Only a matter of time before this thread got opened.

Here it is.

-----------------------------------------------

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Ohio State has two Top 15 WRs available for April's draft.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba may be better than both.

----------------------------------------------

Tom VanHaaren@TomVH

Jaxon Smith-Njigba now has the Ohio State record for most receiving yards in a game. Coming into this season, Ohio State only had four 200-yard receiving games ever.

Smith-Njigba has done it twice this season.

Last edited:
Ohio State sophomore WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba caught 15 balls for 347 yards and three touchdowns in a 48-45 win over Utah on Saturday.

With both Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson having opted out for this game to prepare for the NFL Draft, there were questions about how Smith-Njigba (6'0/197) would perform as the unquestioned top receiver for the Buckeyes. He answered the call by setting both the Ohio State single-season receiving yards (1,606) and single-game record for receiving yards in any bowl game (347). His best play came on the game-winning touchdown reception where he ran a fade route and tracked the ball to perfection tapping his feet in bounds for the score. Going into next season, Smith-Njigba should be the top wide receiver in college football.

Jan 1, 2022, 8:59 PM ET

Love him like a fat kid loves ice cream. 

(it’s me. I’m the fat kid. I ❤️ Ice cream)

Its distinctly possible that I’ll have picks 1-2-3-4 in 2023. In SF it’s hard not to take the top 2 QB & Bijan is a lock.

I may take JSN over Gibbs. It feels crazy since I need RBs. But man is this kid good. 

2022 College Football Preseason Rankings: Top 25 wide receivers

...Below are PFF’s picks for the top-25 wide receivers entering the 2022 college football season along with some superlatives at the end, including the biggest projections and sleepers...

THE TOP DOG

1. JAXON SMITH-NJIGBA, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The wide receiver factory in Columbus, Ohio, has another elite talent in its hands with Smith-Njigba, who had a record-breaking ending to his 2021 sophomore season when he hauled in 15 passes for 336 yards and three touchdowns in last year’s Rose Bowl, helping him earn a Power Five-best 91.7 PFF grade for the year. Smith-Njigba also generated a 141.8 passer rating on his targets last year — the fourth-highest by a Power Five receiver with at least 100 targets since 2017. He has elite short-area quicks and ball skills, along with route-running ability, that holds up to the Ohio State standard. He was the nation's most productive receiver in 2021 and it’s hard imagining that changing much in 2022.

Easily looked like the best of the 3 Ohio State WRs last year. It will be interesting to see how the NFL careers of Wilson, Olave and JSN shake out. 

I'm confident he'll grade out as high or higher than the two Buckeyes that went high in this year's draft.
I'm confident fantasy players will value him higher, not sure about real life due to his lack of speed and with the QB's pushing some players back next year he could rate similar or even a tad higher and not go as high.  Would not be surprised at all if we never get a time on him, worked out for Drake London and Devonta and he might also decide it's best to let his production speak for his play and not his testing numbers.

I'm confident fantasy players will value him higher, not sure about real life due to his lack of speed and with the QB's pushing some players back next year he could rate similar or even a tad higher and not go as high.  Would not be surprised at all if we never get a time on him, worked out for Drake London and Devonta and he might also decide it's best to let his production speak for his play and not his testing numbers.
If he has a season anywhere near like he did in 2021, he won't need to do any combine workouts. Heck, he could probably sit this year out and just train like Jamar Chase did and he would still be a top 15 pick. 

Obviously great production, and just getting on the field in that wr room means you're a pretty good prospect.
I would like to see him play outside more this season with the top 2 outside guys gone. 92% of receptions coming from the slot would earn less popular wr prospects a "gadget guy" label.

2023 seems to be a bit weaker class at WR compared to years past so I can’t blame him for entering the draft. I do wonder where he will land after an injury riddled year with no production. He had the luxury the previous year of defenses having to worry about Wilson/Olave. With no film of him being “the guy” it will be interesting to see how teams evaluate him.

2023 seems to be a bit weaker class at WR compared to years past so I can’t blame him for entering the draft. I do wonder where he will land after an injury riddled year with no production. He had the luxury the previous year of defenses having to worry about Wilson/Olave. With no film of him being “the guy” it will be interesting to see how teams evaluate him.
To be fair, he was “the guy” in The Rose Bowl last year when both Wilson and Olave sat out. He went for 15/347/3.

To be fair, he was “the guy” in The Rose Bowl last year when both Wilson and Olave sat out. He went for 15/347/3.
Major oversight on my part lol. I still think he is a notch below Wilson/Olave as a prospect but that does not mean much as those were pretty darn good.

Major oversight on my part lol. I still think he is a notch below Wilson/Olave as a prospect but that does not mean much as those were pretty darn good.
Also worth noting that Olave and Wilson both outright stated in an interview about this time last year that JSN was better than both of them.
Obviously that might not end up the case but another piece of info worth consideration.

I cannot pronounce his last name and would be afraid to try in front of a large audience, that's a potential career ender for a broadcaster if they're not careful.
Which of the consonants are silent?

Dane Brugler@dpbrugler
I can't speak for every scout in the league, but the feedback I've heard from NFL teams is Jaxon Smith-Njigba is absolutely making the right choice skipping the Peach Bowl. His injury isn't just about pain tolerance, he could do major damage by pushing it before healthy.
----------------------------------
Le Puma Noir@MNjigba
Being w my son yesterday for his first day of rehab and seeing his limitations for myself gave me peace w our families choice to get my son healthy. Encouraging him play would be selfish and abusive. I’m at peace bc I know he’s in the right hands 4 recovery. twitter.com/B1G_Ryan/statu…

2022-05-30

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso
Finished prelim evals on the Ohio State WRs and in terms of traits (and how they translate to route-running, YAC capabilities etc.)

Marvin Harrison Jr. > Jaxson Smith-Njigba

JSN is the better, more polished WR right now but Harrison is legit freaky

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso
I see these two WRs as almost identical to Amon-Ra St. Brown (JSN) and Drake London (Harrison Jr.) at USC in 2019-2020.

St. Brown smaller, technician. Great hands. Way more productive.

London popped a little in that time frame but eventually will be the higher draft pick.

Probably 1.2 or 1.3 in start 1qb leagues
I'm thinking more 1.5-1.8 range in my leagues.
I've got him 1.5 myself.

1. Bijan

2. Corum
3. Johnston
4. Addison
5. JSN
6. Downs

That's my top-6 at the moment.
Gonna have to re-adjust my friend. Corum isn’t coming out.
I totally missed that, thanks. Guess that moves JSN up to 4th. Probably also makes Bijan even more in a tier of his own.

Just offered #6 and #15 (16 team league) for #3 hoping to get Smith-Njigba. Doubt he makes it to 6 and really want him
I think it's really hard to say. I can't really either way but can just cite some fairly recent examples.

I had both Lamb, Juedy and Jefferson ranked as higher prospects. Their ADP in my leagues, mainly FFPC, was 6 and 7 and was either 8 or 9 for JJ. I had Ridley rated above him, he went in the 10-12 range. Mike Williams never went higher then 6th in a league of mine, usually but not always exactly 6th but had one league he made it to 8 and again I was higher on him.

I cited those draft class years intentionally because those years had fairly deep RB classed that dominated the upper half of round one and pushed the WR's back. That's what I predict happens again this season due to strong RB class.

But some of this can of course be league specific. PPR or not, 2 or 3 WR start, etc,etc. Most of my leagues are FFPC, only have to start 2 WR's.

So who knows right now but I don't think he's more of a good then great prospect, not a lock for the top WR drafted in real or fantasy football and if I was offered a prop bet of under or over 1.5 for his ADP in my leagues I would put my money on the over, but think that's about his range.

I remember watching Njigba against Michigan last time OSU won two years ago. Njigba looked so polished with great hands, as good or better than the two that were drafted this past season.

I believe the tough decision will be JSN or Gibbs.......landing spot notwithstanding.
I absolutely agree. IMO it is a 2-way race for 1.02 right now between them, but of course that can change quickly, and draft capital and draft destination will factor in heavily.

I believe the tough decision will be JSN or Gibbs.......landing spot notwithstanding.
I absolutely agree. IMO it is a 2-way race for 1.02 right now between them, but of course that can change quickly, and draft capital and draft destination will factor in heavily.
While I agree draft capital does matter. it can kill you too (see CEH). There were actually people taking him over Taylor. Even though I have one share, I took him at 1.2 after Taylor. I at least have that :(

While I agree draft capital does matter. it can kill you too (see CEH). There were actually people taking him over Taylor. Even though I have one share, I took him at 1.2 after Taylor. I at least have that :(
Agreed. I moved CEH myself in that draft (1.03 behind Taylor and Swift). While I always take into consideration draft capital, I agree it is a bad idea to be a slave to draft capital. In that same (2020) draft, Ruggs and Reagor went ahead of Justin Jefferson. That seemed like a terrible idea at the time, and it has proven so.

I don't think it's close between Gibbs and JSN and if I had to pick one player whose stock will lower the most between now and rookie drafts it's JSN.

This class is becoming more and more underwhelming from a skill position standpoint.
Agreed. Everyone for at least the last 2 years and some even know saying this is the best draft class in awhile. It's not even as good as last year's.
I'm amused at some of the trades in my dynasty leagues last year where people were trading valuable assets for mid-late 1sts and 2nd round picks in the 2023 draft. They are probably having buyers remorse as I type this. I still think it's a good thing to have a top of the draft pick from this class however, but yes, it doesn't look nearly as good as it did this time last year.

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh
Several NFL scouts reportedly believe that Jaxon Smith-Njigba is a “WR3” in the NFL.
ESPN’s Todd McShay said that he believes the Ohio State WR is “not” a first round pick View attachment 3418
And how much of this is some team throwing mud in the hopes the player drops to them?
We all see this nonsense every year... The Proof will be at the Draft. Teams will reveal what they think of each player... Trade ups or letting them slide longer...

Users who are viewing this thread