What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, SEA (1 Viewer)

Geno Smith praised rookie Jaxon Smith-Njigba following Wednesday’s practice.

“He can do it all, man,” Smith said. “He’s a great player. Jaxon is one of those guys who if you put him out there one-on-one he’s going to win his battles. We’ve been seeing that so far.” The kind of quarterback who is willing to take 1-on-1 shots, Smith sounds like he is ready to put JSN in position to make plays. It is going to be difficult for JSN to rise higher than third on the targets totem pole, but his talent and draft capital make him worth betting on in the middle rounds of 12-team re-draft leagues.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Jaxon Smith-Njigba is TOO smooth
Njigba has been running with the Seahawks first team, and has reportedly shown off his “elite” quickness.Njigba has also reportedly shown flashes of a “special connection” with Geno Smith.DK Metcalf (Seahawks WR) said in a recent interview that Njigba is “going to be special” this season.The Seahawks rookie WR is something ELSE.(Via gbellseattle/TW)

Speaking Sunday, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll praised Jaxon Smith-Njigba’s initial play in training camp.

“I couldn’t imagine him not being part of the mix right from the beginning,” Carroll said. “It just comes too easy for him. We’re looking for the spots we can put him in, how to move him around, and see how much he can handle. There’s nothing that’s holding him back. He’s hitting it off with Geno Smith really well right now.” Carroll’s words come just three days after Smith offered a similarly glowing assessment. Although it is hard to see JSN’s path to out-targeting either DK Metcalf or Tyler Lockett, he might still see a large enough target share to carve out WR3/4 value.

Speaking Sunday, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll praised Jaxon Smith-Njigba’s initial play in training camp.

“I couldn’t imagine him not being part of the mix right from the beginning,” Carroll said. “It just comes too easy for him. We’re looking for the spots we can put him in, how to move him around, and see how much he can handle. There’s nothing that’s holding him back. He’s hitting it off with Geno Smith really well right now.” Carroll’s words come just three days after Smith offered a similarly glowing assessment. Although it is hard to see JSN’s path to out-targeting either DK Metcalf or Tyler Lockett, he might still see a large enough target share to carve out WR3/4 value.

Anyone thinking he will definitely do better than that is destined to be let down this year. Could he? Sure. But it's not likely. And that's not a knock on his talent. I think Aiyuk is one of the best route runners in the NFL and a top 10 talent at WR overall. But he won't put up those numbers in fantasy being in SF and sharing the ball with Kittle, CMC, and Deebo in Shanahan's offense. JSN is in a similar situation. The fact some people are drafting him over Lockett in redraft leagues is mind-boggling and a huge mistake IMO.

Targeted for 1.03 in my rookie draft in a few weeks…..future all-pro.

Last edited:
Huard: Seahawks’ Smith-Njigba a ‘blend’ of 2 legendary WRs

Excerpts:

With star Seahawks receiver DK Metcalf not wanting to do a player comp for Smith-Njigba – “I really don’t like comparing and contrasting people because I think Jaxon is his own person and he’s gonna make his own lane to be his own great receiver,” Metcalf told Brock and Salk last week – that got Huard thinking about who Smith-Njigba reminds him of, and he turned to two of his former NFL teammates.
“He is actually a blend of the two guys I played with in Indianapolis. If you blended Reggie Wayne’s body type with Marvin Harrison’s movement skills and probably Reggie’s speed – Reggie was not a blazer and Jaxon in a 40-yard dash is not going to be a blazer. But his body control and his short-area quickness is off the charts. I think if you blended those two guys together, you might come out with a Jaxon Smith-Njigba,” Huard said.

One play that Smith-Njigba made in 2020 for the Buckeyes reminds Huard a lot of Harrison.

First, here’s a story from Huard about something Harrison did during a practice.

“I will never forget my first minicamp with Indianapolis … I threw a comeback (route) on that first practice, and I’m like ‘crap’ when it leaves my hand. … You know, ‘Crap, that’s not in play. That’s out of bounds.’ It leaves my hand and I’m like, ‘Uh oh, that’s way overthrown,’ especially to Marvin, who’s not the biggest guy,” Huard said. “And then he goes up and just snags it and makes it look good and gets his feet down and I’m like, ‘What was that? That was amazing. That was like Gumby plus Michael Jordan.’ His body movement and athleticism and flexibility were off the charts.”

That kind of movement is “what this kid has,” Huard said of Smith-Njigba.

Comparing Smith-Njigba to one Hall of Famer and another receiver who may wind up in Canton some day is “a lot of hype,” Huard said, but that’s what he sees out of the young receiver.

“Just body movement, feet, short-area quickness, balance,” Huard said.

JSN isn’t about 2023.
...and don't be surprised if he is. Lockett turns 31 in September and while his recent track record has been better, he has a long injury history. JSN will not compete with Metcalf for targets as their games are very different. JSN shouldn't be a redraft target, but does make a nice double digit round flier with his upside.

JSN isn’t about 2023.
...and don't be surprised if he is. Lockett turns 31 in September and while his recent track record has been better, he has a long injury history. JSN will not compete with Metcalf for targets as their games are very different. JSN shouldn't be a redraft target, but does make a nice double digit round flier with his upside.
I don’t think his ADP is in the double digits as of now though

JSN isn’t about 2023.
Yeah - I only do one redraft so don’t really follow ADP. My guess is off I suppose.
Don’t think I’d roll the dice before Round 10 though.

JSN isn’t about 2023.
Yeah - I only do one redraft so don’t really follow ADP. My guess is off I suppose.
His ADP a lot of places is within a few spots of Lockett late round 6/early round 7, hence my post above in this thread. I totally agree on a later round flier, after E. Moore/Kincaid/LaPorta are gone (though I'm sure some of those ADPs will continue rising), somewhere around round 11/12 I think he's worth the upside play.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano says Seahawks WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba has been “the star of camp so far.”
Graziano drops a nice nugget for the fantasy folks, saying, “I wouldn’t just assume he’s going to be Seattle’s ‘No. 3' receiver or that he’ll be brought along slowly because he’s a rookie.” Graziano thinks the Seahawks have big plans for JSN heading into his rookie season and went as far as to call him a “sleeper candidate for Offensive Rookie of the Year.” Smith-Njigba is currently being drafted outside of the top-36 in most fantasy leagues, but has a real chance to outperform his ADP if he continues to wow in camp.

TE Premium past fourteen days he's at 81. He's going in the eighth. I'd roll the dice given the players at ADP in the area. In fact, I hope he falls to me at 7.10. I'm a sucker for Ohio State receivers from that time period. He's going to be good.

TE Premium past fourteen days he's at 81. He's going in the eighth. I'd roll the dice given the players at ADP in the area. In fact, I hope he falls to me at 7.10. I'm a sucker for Ohio State receivers from that time period. He's going to be good.
JSN is going to be sick. I am drafting him everywhere I can. I feel like he is going to have an ASB type rookie year where he blows up the last 5 or 6 weeks of the season

And Mahomes is a nice under-the-radar pick for MVP if you're looking to go out on a limb.
Odd comparison/analogy. It’s probably greater than 10 to 1 odds that the ROY is one of Young, Stroud, Richardson, or Bijan. Everyone else, including JSN, is without a doubt “under-the-radar.”
I suppose you're right, but he's the top choice at his position, with limitless positive chatter, so sleeper still seems a stretch of the term. If someone touted a Levis, Flowers, or Charbonnet as a OROtY sleeper, that would seem more fitting.

JSN is going to be sick. I am drafting him everywhere I can. I feel like he is going to have an ASB type rookie year where he blows up the last 5 or 6 weeks of the season
Metcalf was inefficient in the red zone last year and Lockett didn't have very many targets. I could see Seattle using JSN in a Kupp type role inside the 10.

Zareh Kantzabedian
Jaxon Smith-Njigba is being drafted higher than any of the 2022 rookie wide receivers were this time last year.

-JSN’s ADP: 57.4

Rookie WR’s 2022 ADP:

-Drake London: 68.6

-Treylon Burks: 87.4

-Chris Olave: 88.2

-Garrett Wilson: 112.4

-Jahan Dotson: 138
twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

What a steal, the 2 best WRs in this class went 112 and 138. I love Olave and London too...but Dotson is the fashizzel (as is Wilson of course) :)

Metcalf was inefficient in the red zone last year and Lockett didn't have very many targets. I could see Seattle using JSN in a Kupp type role inside the 10.
Lockett had 117 targets, ranking #22nd in the NLF, giving him 22.8% target share. only behind DK on the team who had 141 and a 24% share. I wouldn't say he lead the NFL obviously, but I also wouldn't say he "didn't have very many". If he had one more target a game he'd be tied for targets with Jamar Chase at #14 overall.

Lockett had 117 targets, ranking #22nd in the NLF, giving him 22.8% target share. only behind DK on the team who had 141 and a 24% share. I wouldn't say he lead the NFL obviously, but I also wouldn't say he "didn't have very many". If he had one more target a game he'd be tied for targets with Jamar Chase at #14 overall.
I may not have been clear, but I meant Lockett did not have very many red zone targets last year.

With two solid WRs ahead of him on his own team, he was going to have to get a fast start to get targets and this could put a damper on that. Redraft I'm holding off based on where he's going (late 6th/ early 7th).

I've said this in other threads for a few weeks now...don't be surprised if Zay Flowers has a better career than JSN.
I would be shocked.
I agree, although I do love Flowers as well so maybe I’d say “surprised” rather than “shocked”. JSN is an elite talent - this will slow him down but but season’s end he’ll be helping Seattle take that next step.

Users who are viewing this thread