What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Palmer, LAC (1 Viewer)

If he's available and you're heading to the playoffs then I'd add him. Good possibility of solid WR2 numbers with upside depending on matchup and game script.
Added him this morning, then dropped him, then the off IR news hit and grabbed him again lol.

Herbert needs all the help he can get with Q. Johnson dropping passes left and right. I'd think if Staley wants to save his *ss he's playing him if healthy. Just lost T. Dell too.

I had him for weeks , couldnt wait any longer and dropped him for Elijah Moore , now someone else will get him with the recent news . To much uncertainty with the all the secrecy

Feels like this guy has had a lot of opportunities and has failed to really take advantage of them. I have always liked him as a “soon to breakout” guy, but I am having a hard time envisioning a spot where he produces top 24 WR numbers this year. Unless someone has seen some marked improvement that I have not.

Feels like this guy has had a lot of opportunities and has failed to really take advantage of them. I have always liked him as a “soon to breakout” guy, but I am having a hard time envisioning a spot where he produces top 24 WR numbers this year. Unless someone has seen some marked improvement that I have not.
In 2022, from week 9-15 last year, when Williams was out and he was playing, he was WR 23. This year, in weeks 3-7, with Williams out and Palmer playing he was WR 22. Calculated from average points per game, not total points. PPR League.

Yeah definitely a starter to grab this late in the season. He appeared to be hitting his stride with 18 ppr points the game prior to his injury.

Bolts may have to use him a little more? Nobody on the team has stepped up after Mike Williams went down.

I think he's the perfect flex spot guy to grab, especially this late in the season to have confidence in.

Provided he plays soon to get up to game speed.

In 2022, from week 9-15 last year, when Williams was out and he was playing, he was WR 23. This year, in weeks 3-7, with Williams out and Palmer playing he was WR 22. Calculated from average points per game, not total points. PPR League.

Palmers stats in 2022:
Week 9 - 3/44
Week 10 - 8/106/2
Week 11 - 5/56
Week 12 - 7/60
Week 13 - 4/53
Week 14 - 5/49
Week 15 - 2/16

Average: 4.8/55/.3 10 points/game is top 23?

Apart from the one good game, I would be upset with the other 6 six games from my WR2.

Palmers stats in 2022:
Week 9 - 3/44
Week 10 - 8/106/2
Week 11 - 5/56
Week 12 - 7/60
Week 13 - 4/53
Week 14 - 5/49
Week 15 - 2/16

Apart from the one good game, I would be upset with the other 6 six games from my WR2.
It looks like you took your numbers from Chargers games 9-15, instead of NFL season 9-15.
He averaged 14.2 points in PPR leagues over that period.
Over a full 17 game season it would be 97/1156/5
Week 9 - 8/106
Week 10 - 3/44
Week 11 - 8/106/2
Week 12 - 5/56
Week 13 - 7/60
Week 14 - 4/53
Week 15 - 5/49

Last edited:
I'm sure Palmer will continue to get plenty of snaps barring injury, but he has gotten 87% of the offensive snaps in the last 4 games without Williams. I will be surprised if that continues the rest of the season unless other WRs miss games due to injury. IMO that implies his target share will likely be less than it was in weeks 4, 6, and 7.
I'll take the over on the 87%, with the caveat of if his knee is sound. It was only down "that low" because of him coming out this week, because of the knee. I think he's a full time player in every sense of the word and it's not going anywhere.

OK, cool, I'll take the under and we'll revisit at the end of the season.
Technically his injury took away his playing time so congrats, you were right!

Seriously though I'm not sure what degree his knee will impact him assuming he returns for us to be able to see how his intended usage would play out. But I would think, or hope, you have come to the conclusion he's been missed by the team and had he remained healthy neither QJ or anyone else was a threat to his role.

Palmers stats in 2022:
Week 9 - 3/44
Week 10 - 8/106/2
Week 11 - 5/56
Week 12 - 7/60
Week 13 - 4/53
Week 14 - 5/49
Week 15 - 2/16

It looks like you took your numbers from Chargers games 9-15, instead of NFL season 9-15.
He averaged 14.2 points in PPR leagues over that period.
Week 9 - 8/106
Week 10 - 3/44
Week 11 - 8/106/2
Week 12 - 5/56
Week 13 - 7/60
Week 14 - 4/53
Week 15 - 5/49
That makes more sense

I'm sure Palmer will continue to get plenty of snaps barring injury, but he has gotten 87% of the offensive snaps in the last 4 games without Williams. I will be surprised if that continues the rest of the season unless other WRs miss games due to injury. IMO that implies his target share will likely be less than it was in weeks 4, 6, and 7.
I'll take the over on the 87%, with the caveat of if his knee is sound. It was only down "that low" because of him coming out this week, because of the knee. I think he's a full time player in every sense of the word and it's not going anywhere.

Seriously though I'm not sure what degree his knee will impact him assuming he returns for us to be able to see how his intended usage would play out. But I would think, or hope, you have come to the conclusion he's been missed by the team and had he remained healthy neither QJ or anyone else was a threat to his role.

Disappointing that you chose to respond to this post and give me sarcastic congrats because Palmer got injured, rather than replying to my previous post, where I listed a lot of data showing that Palmer was basically a JAG to that point.

You are right that Johnston has been disappointing and has proven to be less than a JAG. So it turns out that he might not have been much of a threat to Palmer's snaps had Palmer not been injured. I was apparently wrong about that through 12 games, but that is more about Johnston than Palmer. That doesn't really change the fact that Palmer is basically a JAG.

:shrug:

Disappointing that you chose to respond to this post and give me sarcastic congrats because Palmer got injured, rather than replying to my previous post, where I listed a lot of data showing that Palmer was basically a JAG to that point.

You are right that Johnston has been disappointing and has proven to be less than a JAG. So it turns out that he might not have been much of a threat to Palmer's snaps had Palmer not been injured. I was apparently wrong about that through 12 games, but that is more about Johnston than Palmer. That doesn't really change the fact that Palmer is basically a JAG.

I'm surprised to hear the bolded. I thought we'd hashed that out already and left it with "we'll see how it goes" and I just assumed by this point you'd have realized you sold Palmer short but I guess I assumed to much.

I'm surprised to hear the bolded. I thought we'd hashed that out already and left it with "we'll see how it goes" and I just assumed by this point you'd have realized you sold Palmer short but I guess I assumed to much.

I took the time to post a lot of data then. It was valid then and remains valid now.

I have watched every snap of Palmer's career. Particularly keeping in mind that he has played his entire career with Herbert as his QB, Palmer is a JAG IMO, or maybe just slightly above that level.

If Palmer is a JAG and Johnston has now proven to be below that level, at least for his first season, that doesn't change the fact that Palmer is still a JAG. Except now Palmer is a JAG coming off a non-trivial knee injury.

Also, we did leave it with "we'll see how it goes." And Palmer, due to injury, hasn't done anything since then. What is it that you think would have changed my opinion about Palmer?

I took the time to post a lot of data then. It was valid then and remains valid now.

I have watched every snap of Palmer's career. Particularly keeping in mind that he has played his entire career with Herbert as his QB, Palmer is a JAG IMO, or maybe just slightly above that level.

If Palmer is a JAG and Johnston has now proven to be below that level, at least for his first season, that doesn't change the fact that Palmer is still a JAG. Except now Palmer is a JAG coming off a non-trivial knee injury.

Also, we did leave it with "we'll see how it goes." And Palmer, due to injury, hasn't done anything since then. What is it that you think would have changed my opinion about Palmer?

Was not really looking for all this but here you go.,

Frankly when you got a point to prove you go overboard with your data, which you usually get from PFF. It's confirmation bias 101 to me the way you rely on whatever stats you want to prove your point and the convo's are just not that interesting to me, I can look up stats as well. Introducing stats is one thing, hammering away at them to prove your point as being the correct one is something else.

It's 2023 and most people here have access to watch every game as well.

You twisted the entire conversation from my original comment, which was that Palmers role was not descending and moved the goal post into an argument he was a JAG. While I don't agree that's also not the the least bit in line with what I said which was that his role, his playing time, was not getting reduced because even if he is a JAG he's the best option the team has. You took that comment and tried to avalanche me with PFF data when it was never what I was discussing.

And yes, I would have assumed his absence would have made that abundantly clear to you by now that's the best option they got at WR other then Allen and as such his playing time was never in jeopardy of being reduced.

I can honestly say I did not expect all of this from the comment I left to you today, was not meant to be that serious. I just honesetly assumed, as someone you know watches every game, that you'd know that this team has felt the loss of Palmer and that QJ was not ready to ascend and that it was plain to see they miss him and his role was not about to reduce.

Was not really looking for all this but here you go.,

Frankly when you got a point to prove you go overboard with your data, which you usually get from PFF. It's confirmation bias 101 to me the way you rely on whatever stats you want to prove your point and the convo's are just not that interesting to me, I can look up stats as well. Introducing stats is one thing, hammering away at them to prove your point as being the correct one is something else.

It's 2023 and most people here have access to watch every game as well.

You twisted the entire conversation from my original comment, which was that Palmers role was not descending and moved the goal post into an argument he was a JAG. While I don't agree that's also not the the least bit in line with what I said which was that his role, his playing time, was not getting reduced because even if he is a JAG he's the best option the team has. You took that comment and tried to avalanche me with PFF data when it was never what I was discussing.

And yes, I would have assumed his absence would have made that abundantly clear to you by now that's the best option they got at WR other then Allen and as such his playing time was never in jeopardy of being reduced.

I can honestly say I did not expect all of this from the comment I left to you today, was not meant to be that serious. I just honesetly assumed, as someone you know watches every game, that you'd know that this team has felt the loss of Palmer and that QJ was not ready to ascend and that it was plain to see they miss him and his role was not about to reduce.

Fair enough.

I don't think I relied only upon stats that proved my point, as if there were other stats I ignored, but fine to move on from that.

I suppose I assumed that your point that he would continue getting snaps suggested that he would continue to get stats. I presented (IMO) data that he is a JAG to suggest that he wouldn't. However, I definitely assumed that other players would be as good or better and take some of those snaps. I admitted in my response here to you today that I was wrong about that, at least to date about Johnston.

I did not intentionally seek to "twist the entire conversation."

I certainly didn't intend to turn this negative. I enjoy your posts a lot. I'm disappointed that you would say that my tendency is to go overboard with data. I'm sure that is true sometimes, because I am a person who values data... but I have viewed myself as someone with a reasonably balanced perspective... though I fully recognize that many people don't recognize their own flaws. I am sorry if you don't agree that I have a balanced perspective on this, since I respect you as a poster quite a bit.

Great, glad we got all that cleared up between you two about whether or not Palmer is a JAG or not which I really don't care because it's quite clear the offense has missed his production.

If he can get back to his previous stats, he's a very good flex in ppr leagues.

I'm in the playoffs in one league and looking to get into the playoffs in another (win and in) league with Herbert as my starting QB. Now that the obligatory blip of New England is off the schedule, I sure am glad to see that Palmer might be coming back. Herbert's had Keenan and that's it as far as targets go. I hope Palmer comes back this week (I have no idea about his status so don't quote that as if I'm saying he will—I honestly don't know) and we can all skip merrily towards the postseason together. That would be nice.

I'm disappointed that you would say that my tendency is to go overboard with data
Not to dredge this back up for others but I actually thought me making that comment few and reached a conclusion that it was a jerkoff thing to say on my part. My apologies. What I should have said instead was I just was not zesty to get into a deep statistical discussion on whether or not Palmer was a JAG or not because I was just of the thought process the real discussion was not if he's a JAG but if he's their best JAG to fill the main role opposite Allen. Appreciate a lot of your posts and info over the years so again my apologies for a response that belittled your posts or contributions.

I'm disappointed that you would say that my tendency is to go overboard with data
Not to dredge this back up for others but I actually thought me making that comment few and reached a conclusion that it was a jerkoff thing to say on my part. My apologies. What I should have said instead was I just was not zesty to get into a deep statistical discussion on whether or not Palmer was a JAG or not because I was just of the thought process the real discussion was not if he's a JAG but if he's their best JAG to fill the main role opposite Allen. Appreciate a lot of your posts and info over the years so again my apologies for a response that belittled your posts or contributions.

No worries, thanks. I agree that he appears to be their best JAG right now. :-)

And that could have some value down the stretch.

Chargers WR Joshua Palmer (knee) was activated from the IR on Tuesday.

With the Chargers moving quarterback Justin Herbert to the IR with a fractured finger, they had a free roster spot and filled it by activating Palmer. With Quentin Johnston failing to take his opportunity and run with it, Palmer could return to be the number two receiver in Los Angeles. He had averaged 84 receiving yards per game from Week 3-7, but will find that total much harder to replicate with Easton Stick at quarterback. Still, his return is bad news for Johnston and Jalen Guyton, who will now fall further down the pecking order for targets. It will be hard to rely on any Chargers receiver with Herbert sidelined, sadly.

Palmer is finally full healthy and looks to have a big role with Keenan Allen out. However he won't have Herbert throwing to him anymore, more so Easton Stick.

Is he a viable fantasy starter at FLEX?

Palmer is finally full healthy and looks to have a big role with Keenan Allen out. However he won't have Herbert throwing to him anymore, more so Easton Stick.

This entire situation seems like an avoid. QB who has taken hardly any snaps....offense was mediocre WITH Herbert and Allen...RBs not even running well. I don't know. Could be another 3-0 game...except maybe LV wins this time.

He's not expected to handle a normal workload, so no, not this week, but maybe worth rostering and see if his health and performance this week enables him to do more in our final two weeks.

He's not expected to handle a normal workload, so no, not this week, but maybe worth rostering and see if his health and performance this week enables him to do more in our final two weeks.
I have not seen this reported anywhere.

Only if you're that desperate. Can't imagine many are.
Well it's him OR

Gabe 0.0 Davis
The Giants WR flavor of the week
A quarter of Jefferson before he gets hurt if he decides to play
One hammy Watson or his cousin one knee Jones

Ok but it's what Staley said.

OK. Thanks. But not being local I don't get to see his interviews or press conferences. Do you have a link for this?

Wonder if Stick has greater rapport with Q. Johnston.

How many reps has an injured Palmer had?

Also could be Ekeler for 25+ touches.

OK. Thanks. But not being local I don't get to see his interviews or press conferences. Do you have a link for this?

Here ya go

Unfortunately I'm not local to San Diego either, read it earlier yesterday, did not have a link accessible when I mentioned it, Bobby Layne has now of course posted a video(which I had not seen).

Here is what I had read if people don't want to watch a video:

Brandon Staley on how much Joshua Palmer will play Thursday: "I don't think like a full normal wide receiver load in his first game back, but you'll see him in action."

Ugh. I gotta pick 3:

Puka (lock)
Wilson (lock)
and one of
Palmer
Odell
Shaheed

Went Odell last week, thinking he is the Go To again this week, Palmer didn't do much even when Herbert was in there, and I can't imagine he and Stick have too much chemistry, could be wrong.

But all 3 of these guys are limited or coming back from injury uugggh

Ugh. I gotta pick 3:

Puka (lock)
Wilson (lock)
and one of
Palmer
Odell
Shaheed

Went Odell last week, thinking he is the Go To again this week, Palmer didn't do much even when Herbert was in there, and I can't imagine he and Stick have too much chemistry, could be wrong.

Of those three, Odell is your far superior choice. I believe he missed practice simply for 'rest'.

Palmer has what is on paper a decent matchup, but other than that every factor is a risk or ??? I'd have to be more desperate than what it looks like you are to even consider him.

Ugh. I gotta pick 3:

Puka (lock)
Wilson (lock)
and one of
Palmer
Odell
Shaheed

Of those three, Odell is your far superior choice. I believe he missed practice simply for 'rest'.

Palmer has what is on paper a decent matchup, but other than that every factor is a risk or ??? I'd have to be more desperate than what it looks like you are to even consider him.
I feel ya. I was just wrong wrong wrong on Palmer, had him in all my leagues but 1 for the past 2 years and he finally had a chance to show something these past 2 years and has failed. Almost as bad as my Van Jefferson love affair. I'm breaking up with Palmer too now haha

Ugh. I gotta pick 3:

Puka (lock)
Wilson (lock)
and one of
Palmer
Odell
Shaheed

I feel ya. I was just wrong wrong wrong on Palmer, had him in all my leagues but 1 for the past 2 years and he finally had a chance to show something these past 2 years and has failed. Almost as bad as my Van Jefferson love affair. I'm breaking up with Palmer too now haha
:shrug:I think Palmers been pretty solid for fantasy when either Wiilliams or Allen have been out.

10.7, 10 and 18.3 this year before that last game he was clearly trying to gut it out and play through the injury which ended up putting him on IR. That's not ground breaking stuff but pretty much in line with his PPG production when either Allen or Williams are out.

Using last season and this one before that last game he tried to play through the injury he had 13 games without Allen or Williams and put up just over 13 PPR fantasy points a game. That's like high end WR3/low end WR2 range, basically in the PPG range of what WR's like Waddle and Kirk have/had been doing this year.

And most of those games that data comes from is last year when Herbert was ailing with his rib injury.

I never understood why some people act like he's been a bust when he's had his chance, certainly not a league winner but rock solid. And I define his chance as when Williams or Allen are out.

Ugh. I gotta pick 3:

Puka (lock)
Wilson (lock)
and one of
Palmer
Odell
Shaheed

:shrug:I think Palmers been pretty solid for fantasy when either Wiilliams or Allen have been out.

10.7, 10 and 18.3 this year before that last game he was clearly trying to gut it out and play through the injury which ended up putting him on IR. That's not ground breaking stuff but pretty much in line with his PPG production when either Allen or Williams are out.

Using last season and this one before that last game he tried to play through the injury he had 13 games without Allen or Williams and put up just over 13 PPR fantasy points a game. That's like high end WR3/low end WR2 range, basically in the PPG range of what WR's like Waddle and Kirk have/had been doing this year.

And most of those games that data comes from is last year when Herbert was ailing with his rib injury.

I never understood why some people act like he's been a bust when he's had his chance, certainly not a league winner but rock solid. And I define his chance as when Williams or Allen are out.
I guess I just had higher expectations. He has had good games but also has been a ghost in games too. Overall hes OK, but there are other guys, even about 4 rookie WR's you can pick up this year and have similar production. Was hoping he could be a WR2 kinda guy but it seems he'll live in the WR3/WR4 territory for his career, which isn't terrible.

Ugh. I gotta pick 3:

Puka (lock)
Wilson (lock)
and one of
Palmer
Odell
Shaheed

I guess I just had higher expectations. He has had good games but also has been a ghost in games too. Overall hes OK, but there are other guys, even about 4 rookie WR's you can pick up this year and have similar production. Was hoping he could be a WR2 kinda guy but it seems he'll live in the WR3/WR4 territory for his career, which isn't terrible.

ahh. i have to choose between Palmer tonight, or wait to see if Nico plays on Sunday. it sounds like Nico may sit, so do we think Palmer gets over 10 points in PPR tonight? it is basically him and Eckler and Everett i guess

And what exactly is the Stick Factor in trying to determine Palmer's value over the next few games?

I've got a first round bye so he was a what the heck flex for me. Don't think I'd be starting him in any meaningful playoff games though.

Users who are viewing this thread