What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (4 Viewers)

A possible comp might be Andre Johnson at 33. He was 85/936/3 with mostly Fitzpatrick at QB. That's the year Hopkins emerged. I could see  taking an early flyer on Julio due to Brady and a potentially very good offense in a bad division.  But Brady's age, a new head coach, injury history, too many one major risk.
I wouldn't be worried about Brady's age or the coach...

Shocked if Julio can stay on the field to catch 80+ balls.

Great news for Brady. His ceiling was looking a little sketchy with no Gronk and questionable when he'll be playing Godwin. Julio relives a lot of worry. Part of me wonders how Julio will look facing #3/4 CBs once Godwin is back. He's only a year removed from an 85.7 YPG season. 

I would highly doubt that. Both guys are outside WRs. If any WR gets used in that way, its probably going to be Gage. 

I wonder if when everyone is healthy, that TE is somewhat fazed out of the main offense, and just becomes more of a situational position. Like a full spread style college offense with Brady in the shotgun every play, with Fournette picking up blitzers, and Julio/Evans outside, with Godwin/Gage inside. Normally you wouldn't want to invite your QB to get hit a ton, and doing that tends to, but with how quick Brady processes and releases, its going to be awfully tempting. 
If Julio and Godwin are healthy that will be fun. But really this doesn’t move the needle at all. Solid depth, seems like a good dude to have if the Bucs were a young team. My excitement for Julio in Tennessee was mostly leadership, making the team better while not very productive on the field. That sort of worked. By the Bucs don’t lack experience. 
I’ll still prefer Gage to JJ   

Per Rap sheet $6M with chance to earn $8M.

That's more then I thought he'd get, more then you pay depth.
I certainly wouldn’t have paid him that much. 

Maybe they think they’ll sell a lot of jerseys?

His on-field play the last couple of years shouldn’t command anything near that, IMO.

Just 19 games over 2 seasons, with 116 targets & 82 receptions with 4 TDs over that span? Huh

prediction: 14 g/p, 63 receptions, 882 yards, 6 TD.

i feel like that’s being generous. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly wouldn’t have paid him that much. 

His on-field play the last couple of years shouldn’t command anything near that, IMO.

Just 19 games over 2 seasons, with 116 receptions & 3 TDs over that span? Huh

prediction: 14 g/p, 63 receptions, 882 yards, 6 TD.

i feel like that’s being generous. 
I mean, based on WR contracts I don't see any issue with it. Its barely over half of what MVS is getting this year, and broke down Julio is a lot better than that guy. 

To correct you though, he's had 116 targets, not catches, over that span. Its 82 catches. Also 4 TD's and not 3. 

That said, you are probably being generous with your projection unless other guys get hurt. It flew under the radar because of the Julio signing, and Fournette's yo-yo weight, but Chris Godwin got cleared for camp, which means he's possibly playing week 1 now. 

Just watched some of his 2021 tape. I have no idea if he'll stay healthy and no he doesn't have that ridiculous, HoF 5th gear on vertical routes.

However, he's still got the gear right below it which is plenty good to get on top of Off Bail CBs in Cover 3 Zone and win deep.

He still can break off a really well-run Deep Hitch where he pushes outside leverage hard, drops his hips and hooks up on a dime to create enough separation to attack the football and win.

He still can flat out beat and outrun a Press CB on a Shallow Cross.

He can still break off a Dig/Post and create separation.

He can still get way up and make sideline/endline catches and toe-tap (he had two called back that were clearly catches).

If he can stay healthy, he's a difference-maker as a 3rd or 4th WR whether he's navigating zones from a variety of positions or dealing with a 3rd or 4th CB out of Shotgun Empty.

EDIT - And I just saw him run a really great Deep Out on the boundary against Off Bail, outside leverage 3 Zone. Represented Post with a hard push to the Post at the top of the route > flipped CB hips > huge separation to the Deep Out.

This guy isn't remotely washed. Healthy? No clue. But not even close to washed.

Great post from a film nut that I really trust on a Bucs' site I frequent.

certainly wouldn’t have paid him that much. 

Lol they ran out of receivers in the playoffs last year. Had Cam Brate playing wideout against the Rams. This is strictly protection against that, not jersey sales. I’m pretty sure they are all set there with Brady and Gronk recently on the team. 

This is truly all about gearing up for the playoffs. If you’re looking at if from a fantasy perspective, I don’t really know. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How does Brady stay healthy all these years? 

Julio is blessed with insane athletic abilities.

There's a very large group of people that believe soft tissue injuries are avoidable with proper stretching, diet, and post game recharge. 

The big question is, is Brady "big enough' that Julio would listen and adjust his pre and post game routines? Julio is extremely confident in a good sort of earned way- not jerky arrogance.

If I say Brady fires the ball to a covered Gronk or to a covered Julio, I'm thinking they both are insanely focused with great hands and abnormally wonderful large wingspan and understanding of body positioning. I have no problem with Julio making a dozen thread the needle catches on third downs.

He's not overtly tough and never has been. He's not built like Gronk and he doesn't bounce back up like Welker and Edelman.

He has a smooth as can be Rice like inside cut that he can only do when he's healthy. He has a dance move he does to get the corner on his back by the sideline that is so slick but again only when healthy.

I just don't see the fit here. I see ideas and why not try him in camp.

He sat out most of camp with the Titans (working on sideline) and many said he did that with the Falcons. Can they get an old legend to put the work in during the summer?

I'm hopeful because I adore Julio's career. I'm doubtful though. This might inadvertently wind up being Brady showing him why he needs to hang em up. 

Early projections for TB receivers on many sites aren't making sense.  When you add up all the receiving yards amongst the TB RB/WR/TEs, in most cases it adds up to 5,300+ now with Julio, but the same sites are "fading" Tom Brady projecting only 4,500-4,600 yards.   :lmao:

Doesn't add up.  What's going to give?

Early projections for TB receivers on many sites aren't making sense.  When you add up all the receiving yards amongst the TB RB/WR/TEs, in most cases it adds up to 5,300+ now with Julio, but the same sites are "fading" Tom Brady projecting only 4,500-4,600 yards.   :lmao:

Doesn't add up.  What's going to give?
Trask getting in some reps?

I think most people like Julio and he's always come across as a good guy. I'd love to see him have a great year and go out on top (if not with a SB with stellar play) so we can remember him for what he has been most of his career. 

Brady completed 485 passes last year… :jawdrop:

It’s crazy to say, but I could see this offense supporting 4 FF relevant WR.

As for Julio…he’s a fave of mine.  Hard worker.  Body has let him down the last couple of years, but if his body is right and can stay right, with Brady throwing him the ball, I could see him have a resurgent year.

Great post from a film nut that I really trust on a Bucs' site I frequent.
That was my take too. He was still playing at a probowl level in 2020, and was better than his numbers suggested last year. That said, he's certainly taking a backseat behind Evans and Godwin. A fully healthy Julio probably can push Gage though, just a matter of whether that will be what they get.

If Julio and Godwin are healthy that will be fun. But really this doesn’t move the needle at all. Solid depth, seems like a good dude to have if the Bucs were a young team. My excitement for Julio in Tennessee was mostly leadership, making the team better while not very productive on the field. That sort of worked. By the Bucs don’t lack experience. 
I’ll still prefer Gage to JJ   
Early camp reports suggest Godwin is already running full speed.  With his injury and AB's meltdown they were very thin during the playoffs last year and it showed.

Tom hopefully won't be hurting for targets even with Gronk gone.

Brady completed 485 passes last year… :jawdrop:

It’s crazy to say, but I could see this offense supporting 4 FF relevant WR.

As for Julio…he’s a fave of mine.  Hard worker.  Body has let him down the last couple of years, but if his body is right and can stay right, with Brady throwing him the ball, I could see him have a resurgent year.

Agree with this sentiment...he has some sneaky appeal to me.   I mean, Scotty Miller was damn near relevant in this offense.

The Athletic's Greg Auman reports that the Buccaneers are getting WR Julio Jones "involved a lot right away."

Following Jones' signing, it was unclear exactly what his role would be. Once Chris Godwin returns from his ACL tear, Jones will be competing with Russell Gage for the WR3 role in the offense, behind Godwin and Mike Evans. Even at 33 years old, Jones' skills do not appear to be in serious decline. He recorded a strong 1.84 yards per route run with the Titans and had an elite 2.60 in his final season in Atlanta. Instead, the issue has been staying healthy, which will remain a major concern given Jones' recurring hamstring woes. At a bare minimum, Jones should be a feature of red zone sets. To that point, Brady connected with him twice in red zone drills on Wednesday. 

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Jul 28, 2022, 10:17 AM ET

If Godwin sits, Julio will start in 2WR sets Week 1. Hell, if Godwin plays he's supposed to be on a pitch count. I've got JJ in a few leagues (usually as a handcuff to Chris Godwin). If anybody can squeeze out whatever talent this guy has left, it's Brady. Game is in primetime.

Brady gotta throw the ball to somebody, you feel me?

If you roster Julio, and he’s healthy, he should be in your starting lineup for this game. Banged up Godwin, if he plays…no Gronk. I like his chances at a big game on SNF. Looking forward to it.

If you roster Julio, and he’s healthy, he should be in your starting lineup for this game. Banged up Godwin, if he plays…no Gronk. I like his chances at a big game on SNF. Looking forward to it.

Agree for those exact reasons.
Love to hear it. I mostly agree, and looking forward to watching.

Examples of whom you are starting him over though? Most people that did draft him have “better options” on paper.

I'm benching Drake London for Julio and feel fine doing so. Like Hot Sauce said, if you rostered the guy, why not start him when he's completely fresh and healthy?

Agree for those exact reasons.
Love to hear it. I mostly agree, and looking forward to watching.

Examples of whom you are starting him over though? Most people that did draft him have “better options” on paper.
I don’t have him. I just like making bold proclamations. :shrug:

Starting him in one league, could put up some nice numbers, could limp off the field clutching his re-aggravated hammy during warmups. He's like a Targaryen:

Every time Julio Jones plays, the fantasy gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land.
I don't think he is start-able until we see how and how much he will be used.

Late game leaves me having to choose between Julio and one of ARSB, Cooks and Tee Higgins in the early games. Wait & see this week hopefully gets the RZ looks Gronk used to get.

Given Antonio Clown's production with Brady the last couple years, seems you could do way worse as a dart throw if you are desperate for a WR3 or Flex this week. Would it shock anyone if Jones puts up WR2 or better stats in any game where Godwin is sitting or working back to full health? That is what is happening tomorrow, right?

Given Antonio Clown's production with Brady the last couple years, seems you could do way worse as a dart throw if you are desperate for a WR3 or Flex this week. Would it shock anyone if Jones puts up WR2 or better stats in any game where Godwin is sitting or working back to full health? That is what is happening tomorrow, right?

In theory, it should be the healthiest and largest target share he sees all season.

He's the #2 guy behind Evans in an offense where Tom threw for 5,300 yards last season in.

Last flex spot it's either Julio or Woods. Leaning Julio.
Julio put up 3/29 last year wk 1 (when Tannehill was running for his life all game and Chandler Jones had 5 sacks). Wk 2 he put up 6/128. Wk 3 was the beginning of the end due to injuries and King Henry szn.

In 2020 Julio put up 9/157, 8/137/2, 8/97, 7/137, and 6/94 during the first 12 weeks which also included 3 missed games, before tapping out for the season.

A healthy Julio, with no Godwin, catching passes from Brady seems like a no brainer. If Godwin is playing I would be a little more wait and see.

Julio Jones (knee) is inactive for Week 2 against the Saints.​

It's a concerning start to the season for a player who has struggled with injuries for years. Jones hasn't played a full season since 2018. With Chris Godwin and Julio out, Mike Evans, Russell Gage, and Breshad Perriman will start for the Bucs. Evans could push for WR1 numbers while Gage is now a viable WR3. Also inactive for the Buccaneers are OT Donovan Smith, WR Chris Godwin, RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn, TE Kyle Rudolph, CB Zyon McCollum, and QB Kyle Trask.
Sep 18, 2022, 11:35 AM ET

Bucs head coach Todd Bowles said Julio Jones (knee) will "probably" be a game-time decision for Week 3.​

Jones missed Week 2 and appears to be a long shot to suit up this week against the Packers. The 33-year-old receiver has already proven unreliable for both the Bucs and fantasy managers who drafted him with hopes he could revive his career with Tom Brady in Tampa. With Mike Evans (suspension) sidelined and Jones likely out, Breshad Perriman and Scotty Miller could see extensive playing time against Green Bay.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread