What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kadarius Toney, KC (1 Viewer)

But the last one where he was open for a likely massive gain and possibly a 65+ yard TD he completely alligator armed.
He didn't alligator arm it. He tried to cradle a ball thrown behind him instead of catching it with his hands. The hand positioning was terrible but not alligator arms. It wasn't a particularly good pass as it was quite a bit behind him but it was one that should be caught easily.

But the last one where he was open for a likely massive gain and possibly a 65+ yard TD he completely alligator armed.
He didn't alligator arm it. He tried to cradle a ball thrown behind him instead of catching it with his hands. The hand positioning was terrible but not alligator arms. It wasn't a particularly good pass as it was quite a bit behind him but it was one that should be caught easily.
Fair. The point stands though. I still saw a catchable ball where he gets at least into FG range, and likely scores.

Turrable

Hey, good news though
Patrick Mahomes said he still “has trust” in Kadarius Toney.
Toney, after missing the preseason with a knee injury, had a disastrous Thursday night opener against the Lions. He recorded three drops, including one returned for a touchdown by the Lions and another late in the fourth quarter. Mahomes said after the loss to Detroit that he trusts Toney is “gonna be that guy that I go to in those crucial moments, and he’s gonna make the catch and win us some seasons like he did last year. So we’re gonna continue to work him in, get him more and more reps, and I’m sure those drops will kind of disappear.” Toney played 24.5 percent of the Chiefs’ offense snaps on Thursday night, drawing five targets on 11 pass routes. Toney shouldn’t be dropped to waiver wires after his rough outing.

Joking aside, I felt like a lot of the pass plays last night were catches, and then tackles. Someone caught a ball, facing Mahomes, and got tackled.

Watching KC offense in prior years, there was a lot of misdirection, players getting into space, and catching balls in stride. The real pressure the KC offense put in you was guys getting the ball in stride. I didn't see as much of that last night, and overall, I thought the game plan wasn't particularly dynamic.
I don't think Mahomes played a particularly good game. Many of his throws were not great. They were good enough but they weren't in the proper position for the WR to do anything with hit. I don't think it was just missing Kelce either. Mahomes was off just a bit. It reminded me of the Case Keenum year in Minnesota. He was good enough to get the ball the WR's but it was always just a bit off where the WR would catch it but couldn't do anything after the catch because they had to dive, or slow down, or reach back which gave the defense a chance to tackle immediately. That is what I saw out of Mahomes last night. Just slightly off.

(I am in no way comparing Mahomes to Keenum ability wise. Just an observation based on watching every Viking game that year and how many yards were lost because Keenum wasn't able to allow the WR's to do anything with the ball because of ball placement being just off).

Joking aside, I felt like a lot of the pass plays last night were catches, and then tackles. Someone caught a ball, facing Mahomes, and got tackled.

Watching KC offense in prior years, there was a lot of misdirection, players getting into space, and catching balls in stride. The real pressure the KC offense put in you was guys getting the ball in stride. I didn't see as much of that last night, and overall, I thought the game plan wasn't particularly dynamic.
I don't think Mahomes played a particularly good game. Many of his throws were not great. They were good enough but they weren't in the proper position for the WR to do anything with hit. I don't think it was just missing Kelce either. Mahomes was off just a bit. It reminded me of the Case Keenum year in Minnesota. He was good enough to get the ball the WR's but it was always just a bit off where the WR would catch it but couldn't do anything after the catch because they had to dive, or slow down, or reach back which gave the defense a chance to tackle immediately. That is what I saw out of Mahomes last night. Just slightly off.

(I am in no way comparing Mahomes to Keenum ability wise. Just an observation based on watching every Viking game that year and how many yards were lost because Keenum wasn't able to allow the WR's to do anything with the ball because of ball placement being just off).
He was also under crazy pressure every play. The OL takes a little blame for last night’s woes. It’s not all on Toney, and the bad throws were often the hasty ones, or passes where a defender was in his face or pulling on his leg.

Toney, after missing the preseason with a knee injury, had a disastrous Thursday night opener against the Lions. He recorded three drops, including one returned for a touchdown by the Lions and another late in the fourth quarter. Mahomes said after the loss to Detroit that he trusts Toney is “gonna be that guy that I go to in those crucial moments, and he’s gonna make the catch and win us some seasons like he did last year. So we’re gonna continue to work him in, get him more and more reps, and I’m sure those drops will kind of disappear.” Toney played 24.5 percent of the Chiefs’ offense snaps on Thursday night, drawing five targets on 11 pass routes. Toney shouldn’t be dropped to waiver wires after his rough outing.
This was the one positive of the game. Mahomes did keep going back to him and Toney got 5 targets running just 11 routes and on 16 snaps.

I'm willing to give Toney the benefit of the doubt for last night. Granted, he should have caught those balls, but he had knee surgery 6 weeks ago and worked his *** off to get back for this game. So he's had literally no practice reps til this week.

And Reid did him no favors with that end around play in the 4th quarter. You can't call that with a guy just back from knee surgery.

He has to be better moving forward obviously. But that game wasn't all on him.
Did they also operate on his hands? I am giving him zero benefit of the doubts because he has proven nothing in this league.

Rodgers or Brady would've never uttered his name again. Feel like Mahomes is doing a bit of PR here, which, good for him good for the team morale but... Toney ain't it, Patrick.

I'm a recent Toney investor, got him fairly cheap in a trade package and have not watched much of him. I was well aware of the injury concerns, are these drops something new or has he had issues in the past with drops?

Giants used the 3rd round pick they got from KC (#100 overall) in the Toney trade to land Darren Waller from the Raiders. I don't even need to see Waller play a snap to know who won this trade.

They also got CB Tre Hawkins with the 6th round pick and he not only made the 53-man squad but he's listed as the Giants starting CB ahead of Adore Jackson (former first rounder).

Not bad, Giants. Not bad at all.

Willie Gault was called hands of stone but ended up OK, Not great, but OK, so there is hope I suppose.
Anytime I get to go back to think about that 85 Bears team its a victory. What a fun season that was.
I watched that game in NYC at the house of the son of a suspected gangster in the trash pickup business. He went to school in Ohio with a close friend of mine and we traveled there to see him. I remember being able to smoke on Eastern Airlines at the time.

Willie Gault was called hands of stone but ended up OK, Not great, but OK, so there is hope I suppose.
Anytime I get to go back to think about that 85 Bears team its a victory. What a fun season that was.
I watched that game in NYC at the house of the son of a suspected gangster in the trash pickup business. He went to school in Ohio with a close friend of mine and we traveled there to see him. I remember being able to smoke on Eastern Airlines at the time.
Love it. Thanks for sharing. I remember the trash pick up business was a lucrative one. Ha ha

Traded Toney for 3.4 during the draft to take since cut and signed to the practice squad by the Chiefs Deneric Prince.

I think I still do that deal to this day.

I'm a recent Toney investor, got him fairly cheap in a trade package and have not watched much of him. I was well aware of the injury concerns, are these drops something new or has he had issues in the past with drops?
I have never had the impression that he dropped a lot of balls. His problems have been health. It was a bad game but if he catches those balls he would have had a nice day. He is in the plans (or was) and I am not cutting bait yet. Chiefs need his explosiveness. I don't think they move away from him just yet.

Traded Toney for 3.4 during the draft to take since cut and signed to the practice squad by the Chiefs Deneric Prince.

I agree, could not have been a worse game to crap the bed, opening night prime time when everyone is watching. No guarantee, but way too much calling him dead right now. I'm still more concerned with him being healthy than this one game disaster.

Love it. Thanks for sharing. I remember the trash pick up business was a lucrative one. Ha ha
His son is in the Italian restaurant business (Owner of Umbertos in New Jersey). He's legit however, unlike Mr. Viola (suspected, not given). It was a beautiful home that he had. I remember being taken around the town and parked in his Mercedes across the street from Radio City Music Hall with the top down late at night and a hooker coming up to me asking if I needed a date. I used to be handsome :) Not that that had anything to do with her question.

Last edited:
Sam Monson

@PFF_Sam

Karadius Toney's PFF grade last night is the worst single-game grade given to a WR since 2018.

I guess deleting your Twitter seems like the logical next move. Ha ha

I agree, could not have been a worse game to crap the bed, opening night prime time when everyone is watching. No guarantee, but way too much calling him dead right now. I'm still more concerned with him being healthy than this one game disaster.
maybe you mean fantasy-wise. but it could have been much worse. it could have been the previous game where he helped them get the lombardi trophy.

maybe you mean fantasy-wise. but it could have been much worse. it could have been the previous game where he helped them get the lombardi trophy.
U might be over stating his 1 catch for 5 yards and it's significance in winning the game. Keith Ortega helped the 1985 Bears get the trophy also. But did he?

U might be over stating his 1 catch for 5 yards and it's significance in winning the game. Keith Ortega helped the 1985 Bears get the trophy also. But did he?
you might be forgetting the longest punt return in SB history on the subsequent 4th quarter possession after that TD catch

you might be forgetting the longest punt return in SB history on the subsequent 4th quarter possession after that TD catch
Good call. Honestly? I did. Man enough to admit. Good catch man. I really just want to bring up the 85 Bears again.

Good call. Honestly? I did. Man enough to admit. Good catch man. I really just want to bring up the 85 Bears again.
All good. It reminded me to go watch it again as it was ridiculous from the shoestring catch to the change of direction.

All good. It reminded me to go watch it again as it was ridiculous from the shoestring catch to the change of direction.

Hilarious. Even funnier is I also went back and watched it as a result of this thread. Was two nice plays from him.

Not looking good folks. Terrible game. Doesn't look like he has a good mental state to deal with the bullying right now.
Turning the corner in these situations is hard. Being an Eagles fan, I saw my fair share of talented folks crumbling because of external expectations.
He is fighting against injuries, for an increased role, and against others dissing.

It is going to need a lot of work from his end and the team leadership. I hope he can pull it through, definitely, a guy to keep watching. However, he is not going to be on my team. Next Wire candidate, please

I'm willing to give Toney the benefit of the doubt for last night. Granted, he should have caught those balls, but he had knee surgery 6 weeks ago and worked his *** off to get back for this game. So he's had literally no practice reps til this week.

And Reid did him no favors with that end around play in the 4th quarter. You can't call that with a guy just back from knee surgery.

He has to be better moving forward obviously. But that game wasn't all on him.
He could have done some jugg machine from a Wheelchair. His bum knee doesn’t excuse his stone mitts

I've slept on it. I've still concluded last night's performance was embarrassing. I never blame on player for an NFL game, but he literally cost them the game..
The drop where Moore ran in front of him, ok he gets a pass on tnat.

Down 1 point.

That was the one that cost them the game. He catches that he’s easily in FG range and very likely scores.

No way that was going to be a TD with the ball thrown behind him like that. But yes he should've caught it for sure and it ended up being a crucial play.

I have never had the impression that he dropped a lot of balls. His problems have been health. It was a bad game but if he catches those balls he would have had a nice day. He is in the plans (or was) and I am not cutting bait yet. Chiefs need his explosiveness. I don't think they move away from him just yet.

Yeah drops have never really been a problem. Like you said, mostly health. Remember Jamar Chase came out of the gates like this in the preseason his rookie year with 4 drops that were even worse in terms of how routine the catches should have been (though obviously nowhere near as bad in terms of the stakes, and he didn't tip one to a DB for a pick 6) and a lot of people went bananas.

The difference is that was a rookie probably with a bit of a deer in the headlights, whereas Toney is a vet at this point (though to be fair, hasn't played much the last few years and didn't have any practice reps this year). Also Toney obviously has a way shorter leash with this already being like his 4th opportunity, and with the team having very little invested in him.

Being on prime time definitely magnifies the response as well.

Damn - that’s some thin skin.

He clearly looked like his head wasn’t in the game after the 1st drop.

This confirms he’s in a bad mental state.

We're missing out on great content too. Like......this:

Kadarius Toney on Twitter, “Don’t kome over here kommenting on my music, and it ain’t got in to do with you! I been rappin almost 3 years now. You late! Football aint goin nowhere. Ima live my life however i want 🤣🤣watever is said…i don’t kare!”

Users who are viewing this thread