What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Laviska Shenault Jr. - SEA (2 Viewers)

5 Observations on Jaguars Minicamp, Day 1: Shenault, Agnew Take Centerstage

Excerpt:

Laviska Shenault's presence is most noteworthy among veterans

There were a few veterans in place at Monday's practice, but any veteran there fell into two groups: either they were injured at the end of last year or the start of the offseason, such as Malcom Brown, Darious Williams, Rayshawn Jenkins, Rudy Ford, Jay Tufele and Jamal Agnew, or they were practice squad players the last few years like Tim Jones, Jeff Cotton Jr., or Nathan Cottrell. 

The only veteran who this didn't apply to? Wide receiver Laviska Shenault, the former second-round pick who has seen his role change under Pederson's staff. Shenault has been challenged to show improvement this offseason, and his appearance at Monday's limited minicamp could either be a sign that he is wanting all the reps he can to attack his third season, or a message from the Jaguars about where he is on the roster. It is worth pointing out Shenault had a good practice, not dropping a single pass in drills and drawing praise from coaches for his routes.

Trevor Lawrence said Laviska Shenault is "looking a lot faster" than he did in 2021. 

“He’s just going to be that guy when you get the ball in his hands, he’s going to make the play," Lawrence said. "I think he’s made as big improvement since last season and he’s really been attacking it. I think it’s showing on the practice field.” Shenault, a fantasy football folk legend, has been the recipient of much praise this offseason. Head coach Doug Pederson in May said Shenault can and will be used in several ways -- including as a return man -- to help the Jaguars in 2022. Last season, Shenault led the Jaguars with a 23 percent targets per route run rate. It's unclear how Shenault will fit in the Jacksonville offense with Travis Etienne expected to gobble up many of the team's short area targets. He's a decent late-round flier in deeper formats this summer. 

SOURCE: Jacksonville.com 

Jun 21, 2022, 8:10 AM ET

What do we think of his value now? I never like a WR traded especially this early, but after all the Jags off-season WR signings I am not sure he would have gotten lots of opportunities as a jag.

He's not even 24 yet. New team, new start. Not sure where he may end up next season or the next, but some team should be able to figure out how to get the most out of him.

Last edited:
Solid move by the Panthers, and a very open depth chart. Moore is the only unassailable guy on the team. Might just be me, but I think Shenault is/was a better prospect than Marshall, and Anderson has always been JAG.

That said, I'm not exactly expecting fantasy goodness yet. This is a 2-player offense in CMC and Moore.

Solid move by the Panthers, and a very open depth chart. Moore is the only unassailable guy on the team. Might just be me, but I think Shenault is/was a better prospect than Marshall, and Anderson has always been JAG.

That said, I'm not exactly expecting fantasy goodness yet. This is a 2-player offense in CMC and Moore.

Well he just left one of the most assailable situations in the league after two years and a training camp. I guess it's better than being cut but not by much.

Good for Shenault, this guy was hyped coming out of college. I like where Trevor Lawrence is trending this year but he gets a more polished QB at the moment with Baker who will find ways to integrate him into their offense, might not seem like a huge addition but we don't know what his limitations are being in Jax the last 2 seasons.
The owner in Carolina is not trying to tank or lose, quite the opposite so I think if Shenault can play they will use him.

I'd far rather have him with Lawrence as his QB and a totally unsettled depth chart than Baker at QB with a lead-pipe-lock WR1 with Moore. Huge hit to his potential here.

Good for Shenault, this guy was hyped coming out of college. I like where Trevor Lawrence is trending this year but he gets a more polished QB at the moment with Baker who will find ways to integrate him into their offense, might not seem like a huge addition but we don't know what his limitations are being in Jax the last 2 seasons.
The owner in Carolina is not trying to tank or lose, quite the opposite so I think if Shenault can play they will use him.

This smells like the gadget cliche to me - "We need to find ways to get the ball in X's hands in space" which often translates to "We have this player who doesn't fit any one positional mold and/or has significant deficiencies in their game". I don't know how he ended up where he is but if he can't be where he's supposed to be on the field (for example), Baker isn't going to help him. Now it's basically September and he has a new playbook. Colour me shocked if he has any fantasy value this year.

This smells like the gadget cliche to me - "We need to find ways to get the ball in X's hands in space" which often translates to "We have this player who doesn't fit any one positional mold and/or has significant deficiencies in their game". I don't know how he ended up where he is but if he can't be where he's supposed to be on the field (for example), Baker isn't going to help him. Now it's basically September and he has a new playbook. Colour me shocked if he has any fantasy value this year.
Is it a "Gadget" guy pickup? Limited playbook needed to be a gadget only?
I like his speed and skill, but don't think Baker is ideal for his growth. DJ Moore & CMC will eat 90% of the targets. Robbie Anderson -- Is this is his final year under contract? I forget...
But depending on the cost, (CHEAP), CAR could get something out of him ... KR/PR duties?

I didn't say he would have any fantasy value, just glad he's out of Jacksonville right now :D

They did let Curtis Sameul go awhile back. Maybe they wanted another player like that?

Can't argue with the price they paid.

He reminds of Cordarrelle Patterson, fun to watch, talented, and will probably never find a team that utilizes his strengths. I may throw a $1 at him as a handcuff for CMC.
I remember thinking if he were a RB, he'd have possibly been a 1st round pick in his draft. In a draft with CEH, Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, Akers, and Dillon he's probably right in line with most of those guys (not Taylor) as a tackle breaker.

He's so good with the ball in his hands, it's just the route running, and top speed that he doesn't seem to have.

Side note: I also kinda think Rondale Moore, would be an amazing Austin Ekeler type RB, if he were used that way.

Laviska Shenault caught both of his targets for 90 yards and a touchdown in the Panthers' Week 3 win over the Saints.

Shenault broke loose on a 67-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter. He added another long catch-and-run late in the game. It was his first game active for the Panthers since the team traded for him at the end of training camp. After this showing, he should be locked in as the team's third receiver. That won't be a fantasy-relevant role, but it does give him a glimmer of hope in Dynasty formats.

- NBCSportsEDGE

I'm desperate at WR right now, I'd like to wait at least one more week and see what happens before putting him in. Anybody have any hope for me this week?

Laviska Shenault (hamstring) was limited in Wednesday's practice.​

Shenault is coming off of his first active game with the Panthers. He broke loose on both of his receptions for a total of 90 yards and a touchdown. Shenault isn't on the fantasy radar, but he did give the Panthers' offense a spark in Week 3. He should have the No. 3 job in Carlina locked down after his impressive debut.
SOURCE: Mike Kaye on Twitter
Sep 28, 2022, 2:53 PM ET

I'm desperate at WR right now, I'd like to wait at least one more week and see what happens before putting him in. Anybody have any hope for me this week?
Carolina has a ton of secondary WRs for years. They have no #1 and try and try to add them but wind up with a complimentary dude.
Part of CMCs usage is he's the only star on the team.
Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of talent, just not elite talent with that my ball #1 WR mentality.
I'm not a fan of Shenault but there IS opportunity in Carolina for someone to step up.
With CMCs quad injury, maybe this is the week for a new guy to emerge? Maybe it'll just be Anderson catching a bomb, getting 100 yards and they pretend he's a one. Shenault is the only lottery ticket this week. Just try it. You can always cut him next week

Laviska Shenault (hamstring) did not practice Thursday.​

It's a Thursday downgrade for Shenault after he was limited on Wednesday. He did score a 67-yard touchdown last week, but you can probably do better for your FLEX spot as he struggles against this injury to be active.
Sep 29, 2022, 3:12 PM ET

Laviska Shenault (hamstring) practiced Wednesday.​

Shenault has missed Carolina's past two games and would step into a Robbie Anderson-less Panthers offense in Week 7 if he's able to play. A Wednesday practice after an extended absence is usually a good sign for a player's availability. Anderson had accounted for 18 percent of the team's targets and 17 percent of the team's air yards through six weeks. Shenault and Shi Smith should see increased playing time with Anderson dispatched to Arizona. Neither is a viable fantasy play outside 14-team leagues with multiple flex spots.
RELATED:

Laviska Shenault (hamstring) is active for Week 7 against Tampa Bay.​

The levels of offensive ineptitude that Carolina appears headed for post-Christian McCaffrey will make Shenault an easy monitor-and-stash, even in deep leagues, as they take on Tampa this week. Shenault will probably have more fantasy appeal when P.J. Walker is done starting, but it's hard to imagine him being a factor in most leagues this season.
Oct 23, 2022, 11:53 AM ET

Laviska Shenault rushed two times for 42 yards and a touchdown in the Panthers' Week 10 win over the Falcons, adding three receptions for 17 additional yards.​

Shenault's 41-yard "rushing" score in the second quarter was actually a toss he caught behind the line of scrimmage. He set up his blockers, found the hole and was off to the races down the left sideline. It is the kind of play fantasy managers know he is capable of but too infrequently occur. Tonight's five touches did at least match his season high. Perhaps get Shenault on your watch list in 14-team leagues.
Nov 11, 2022, 12:14 AM ET

He had 600 yards each of his first two seasons with bad coaching/QB play. If he has actually improved and the team decides to play him on 80%+ of the snaps I could see 800 yards receiving and 100 rushing yards.

If I was in Vegas I would take the under on those stats, but there is path to relevance as a 19th/20th round pick in a best ball that does not start kickers/defense.

I have done 30 best balls so far and I have 0 copies. I might start grabbing a few copies in the 1 dollar best balls based on this news, but I won't go overboard just yet.

Shenault has been a weird career so far. He's been pretty solid whenever he is used but seems to fall out of favor really quick. I've always maintained that he's kind of a Cordarrelle Patterson type, where he might be playing the wrong position, as his weakness as a WR is route running, but he's pretty great after the catch, he just needs those touches manufactured.

He'll be no higher than #4 in Seattle, and its not a lock he makes the team, but I like it a ton as a cheap flier.

Shenault has been a weird career so far. He's been pretty solid whenever he is used but seems to fall out of favor really quick. I've always maintained that he's kind of a Cordarrelle Patterson type, where he might be playing the wrong position, as his weakness as a WR is route running, but he's pretty great after the catch, he just needs those touches manufactured.

He'll be no higher than #4 in Seattle, and its not a lock he makes the team, but I like it a ton as a cheap flier.
With the new kickoff rules, guys like Shenault and Patterson are perhaps becoming more valuable from an NFL perspective, even if their roles on offense are minimal at best.

With the new kickoff rules, guys like Shenault and Patterson are perhaps becoming more valuable from an NFL perspective, even if their roles on offense are minimal at best.
Agree, More valuable in NFL game plan, but not so much in Fantasy unless you get Return Yards in your scoring.

Users who are viewing this thread