What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mecole Hardman, KC (1 Viewer)

Color me skeptical. He’s had opportunities. He’s not lived up to his potential. Even when Watkins missed significant time, Hardman didn’t really impress.

Last year he had one game over 4 receptions (7/96/1). Not very efficient often with some 9 target, 3 reception games.

Both he & Demarcus Robinson have been disappointing when given opportunities.

It’s possible I guess, but I’m not holding my breath on either of those guys. 

Color me skeptical. He’s had opportunities. He’s not lived up to his potential. Even when Watkins missed significant time, Hardman didn’t really impress.

Last year he had one game over 4 receptions (7/96/1). Not very efficient often with some 9 target, 3 reception games.

Both he & Demarcus Robinson have been disappointing when given opportunities.

It’s possible I guess, but I’m not holding my breath on either of those guys. 
I agree for the most part, but I picked him up as an end of the bench type in 1 league where I had room. I'd put the odds of him developing at about 10-15% but it's a worth a shot to get a piece of that offense on the cheap. 

I agree for the most part, but I picked him up as an end of the bench type in 1 league where I had room. I'd put the odds of him developing at about 10-15% but it's a worth a shot to get a piece of that offense on the cheap. 
Oh I wouldn’t pass on him if he was a FA or cheap toss-in to a trade. Same reason I spent a 3.09 pick on Byron Pringle in my recent draft. If one of Hardman. Pringle or Robinson hits as that reliable 3rd target, it’ll be a low risk high reward jackpot.

definitely worth chasing, but likely to disappoint. Worst case is probably most likely, in that it’ll be a mess of all 3 eating into each other’s production. 

would be nice to see one emerge though. 

Oh I wouldn’t pass on him if he was a FA or cheap toss-in to a trade. Same reason I spent a 3.09 pick on Byron Pringle in my recent draft. If one of Hardman. Pringle or Robinson hits as that reliable 3rd target, it’ll be a low risk high reward jackpot.

definitely worth chasing, but likely to disappoint. Worst case is probably most likely, in that it’ll be a mess of all 3 eating into each other’s production. 

would be nice to see one emerge though. 
Have Pringle in another league so hoping it's one of those two and not Robinson lol 

I fear Hardman, Pringle, Robinson, rookie TE Noah, more receptions to RBs will dilute the production of all of the previously mentioned. Kelce and Hill will eat, the others will fight for scraps. They all could have some decent outings but too sporadic to predict when without injuries occurring.

I think one of the issues is that the Chiefs drafted Hardman when they thought Tyreek might be suspended and miss a significant amount of time. Hardman and Tyreek have somewhat similar skill sets (obviously Tyreek's is much more highly developed) and he may be viewed as redundant in the offense unless/until he shows that he can be a more well-rounded receiver.  The fact that he had 8 receptions for 66 yards in 3 playoff games last year has to be telling.  With all of that said, he only just turned 23 in March and the fact remains that he's in one of the most potent offenses in the NFL.  The upside is still there but paying for it isn't a good bet. 

I'm looking to buy low on Hardman. We always knew he was a raw WR project coming into the league. Look at everything going in his favor this season:

1.) 3rd Year - WR Breakout
2.) Sammy Watkins leaving equals more targets.
3.) If Tyreek gets hurt, he slots into that portion of the offense.

I can see how if you held him on your roster for 2 years and has been pretty much unstartable, that you would be sick of him. But he's at worst, a decent FLEX bye week filler hoping he catches in a deep one (bonus if you get PR TD). One of the better WR lottery tickets you can buy, imo.

At least you know the QB play will be there.

I think one of the issues is that the Chiefs drafted Hardman when they thought Tyreek might be suspended and miss a significant amount of time. Hardman and Tyreek have somewhat similar skill sets (obviously Tyreek's is much more highly developed) and he may be viewed as redundant in the offense unless/until he shows that he can be a more well-rounded receiver.  The fact that he had 8 receptions for 66 yards in 3 playoff games last year has to be telling.  With all of that said, he only just turned 23 in March and the fact remains that he's in one of the most potent offenses in the NFL.  The upside is still there but paying for it isn't a good bet. 
I agree with they were influenced by a possible Hill suspension when drafting Hardman. They wanted speed. I don’t think many people realize how rare of an athlete Hill actually is. Not only is he equipped with elite speed, dude is twitchy and strong as s. There are few in the history of the game constructed like him. Hardman by no means is in his ballpark with exception to straight line speed. Which comes back to your original point…they were desperate to ensure they had that option on the field when the Hill saga was going on. In the end I believe Hardman is what he is, a guy with rare speed who can help an offense if put in the right position to do so. However if Hill got inured I still don’t think we are looking to Hardman to get much more than half of what Hill produces.

He will have his chances...can he consistently produce? Guess we'll know this fall. I own stock, and certainly see no reason to sell now (ham sandwhich at best) but he's a nice swing for the fences player at the end of your roster. I'll be cheering for him but not holding my breath. 

He will have his chances...can he consistently produce? Guess we'll know this fall. I own stock, and certainly see no reason to sell now (ham sandwhich at best) but he's a nice swing for the fences player at the end of your roster. I'll be cheering for him but not holding my breath. 
Agree. At this point all three of Byron Pringle, Demarcus Robinson, and Hardman are worth holding onto as a dart throw to see if one of them emerges.

It may well be, as others have suggested, that they all eat into each others production and it’s a mess.

But if one emerges as the reliable third receiver, Jackpot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Athletic's Nate Taylor reports WR Mecole Hardman "has made sizable improvements, whether it’s his route running, his consistency when catching the ball or his overall demeanor on the practice fields."

Kansas City S Tyrann Mathieu was also complimentary of Hardman's performance and demeanor during the team's minicamp practices, saying the fourth-year wideout is "hungrier than he's ever been." Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid have said the team would include more intermediate passes in its offense this season, a potential boon for the team's running backs, rookie TE Noah Gray, and veteran WR Byron Pringle. Hardman, a blazing fast deep threat, would likely not benefit from such a philosophical change. While Hardman's target share jumped from 7.3 percent as a rookie to 10.15 percent in his second year, it's hard to see how his opportunity could increase much more outside of a major change in the way he's deployed in a KC passing offense dominated by Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. 

RELATED: 

Byron Pringle

, Noah Gray

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jun 28, 2021, 8:36 AM ET

S Watkins missed six games last year. M Hardman only surpassed 3 rec's ONCE with Watkins out.

BIG MAYBE. A Reid has decided to add another big target( N Grey) to beat the pass rush.

M Hardman is fast, but he does not replace T Hill's short area quicks.

S Watkins missed six games last year. M Hardman only surpassed 3 rec's ONCE with Watkins out.

BIG MAYBE. A Reid has decided to add another big target( N Grey) to beat the pass rush.

M Hardman is fast, but he does not replace T Hill's short area quicks.
I am not falling for Hardman again. 

He's as cheap as he's ever been in dynasty and he just turned 23. There's worse shots to take then potentially Mahomes 3rd option.

He's as cheap as he's ever been in dynasty and he just turned 23. There's worse shots to take then potentially Mahomes 3rd option.
He's Mahommes fourth option. CEH will improve upon his 55 targets versus Hardman's 62.

Hill, Kelce, CEH, then the cluster of Hardman, Robinson, Pringle, and if you believe the latest training camp

new, N Grey will have more action.

Mecole Hardman hasn’t shown that he’s capable of handling an every-down role at receiver in the NFL. He is a rare athlete capable of ripping off a big play, but his size and rawness have kept him out of the lineup — Hardman only ran a route on 20-of-61 dropbacks in the Super Bowl and 17-of-40 in the AFC Championship last year. In addition to the playing time woes, 30% of Hardman’s receptions came on jet sweeps or screens.

Looking at YPRR, Hardman was 87th (of 97 WRs who had met the minimum 100 RR) versus man coverage. He has shown no ability to be anything more than a gadget guy. 

IMO

Mecole Hardman hasn’t shown that he’s capable of handling an every-down role at receiver in the NFL. He is a rare athlete capable of ripping off a big play, but his size and rawness have kept him out of the lineup — Hardman only ran a route on 20-of-61 dropbacks in the Super Bowl and 17-of-40 in the AFC Championship last year. In addition to the playing time woes, 30% of Hardman’s receptions came on jet sweeps or screens.

Looking at YPRR, Hardman was 87th (of 97 WRs who had met the minimum 100 RR) versus man coverage. He has shown no ability to be anything more than a gadget guy. 

IMO
Agree. To this point, he's essentially been Tavon Austin.

Not sure that role necessarily equates to a "breakout season" as there are so many mouths to feed in that offense but he should see an uptick from last year.
guess I wouldn't really say there are a ton of mouths to feed in KC....there are only two right now really....KC could use somebody to step and be what Sammy Watkins was supposed to be but never was....right now it's a rotating door after Hill/Kelce....its there for somebody to snag, but good chance it ends up being a committee...

IMO
Hill was considered a gadget guy as well....but developed.....and has just raw skills that few have, so the development skyrocketed....maybe with a little more time Hardman could develop into a decent WR2/3 type guy....Robinson could also develop a little more and seems to have more of the look of a WR2.....and Pringle/Powell are getting a little love....but again it has the smell of committee....

guess I wouldn't really say there are a ton of mouths to feed in KC....there are only two right now really....KC could use somebody to step and be what Sammy Watkins was supposed to be but never was....right now it's a rotating door after Hill/Kelce....its there for somebody to snag, but good chance it ends up being a committee...
I see it as Kelce and Hill getting a ton of volume, obviously, and I think CEH will get his fair share, too. He was a good receiver in college and I think he'll get more targets this year. And Mahomes is good at spreading it around - you have Pringle and Robinson, who he trusts and I'm interested in Powell, too.   You have to remember that the Chiefs drafted Hardman when they thought Hill was going to miss a substantial amount of time.  They have somewhat similar profiles (with Hill obviously being a far superior talent) - I don't think Hardman can step into the Watkins role; such different skill sets. But I think you're right that various players will get their share after Kelce, Hill, and CEH. I just don't buy the talk that Hardman will ascend and become the Chiefs WR2, at least not in a way that translates into reliable fantasy production.

TS Garp said:
I see it as Kelce and Hill getting a ton of volume, obviously, and I think CEH will get his fair share, too. He was a good receiver in college and I think he'll get more targets this year. And Mahomes is good at spreading it around - you have Pringle and Robinson, who he trusts and I'm interested in Powell, too.   You have to remember that the Chiefs drafted Hardman when they thought Hill was going to miss a substantial amount of time.  They have somewhat similar profiles (with Hill obviously being a far superior talent) - I don't think Hardman can step into the Watkins role; such different skill sets. But I think you're right that various players will get their share after Kelce, Hill, and CEH. I just don't buy the talk that Hardman will ascend and become the Chiefs WR2, at least not in a way that translates into reliable fantasy production.
Hardman is never going to be their X. I presume the writer meant he’ll play more Z snaps in 11 formations (81% of KC PA came fm 3WR sets.)

Powell has the best skills/body type to develops into the X. Doesn’t check a lot of breakout boxes but they drafted him with a specific role in my mind; he’s a better fit in that role than the other three scrubs. Being different isn’t enough to tilt the scales but it wouldn’t be too shocking if he starts accumulating snap counts. But outside of the two superstars and CEH it’s difficult to envision anyone getting consistent targets in 2021.

The Athletic's Nate Taylor reports that Mecole Hardman will enter training camp as the Chiefs WR2.

Hardman is the favorite for the Sammy Watkins role, Taylor reports. In which case, Hardman will be in position to finally make good on his second round draft capital after failing to earn consistent playing time in his first two seasons in Kansas City. Most recently, with Watkins limited in the Super Bowl, Hardman saw just 23 snaps to Demarcus Robinson's 45 and Byron Pringle's 44. Hardman has struggled mightily against man coverage, per Underdog Fantasy's Hayden Winks, which may help explain his lack of a consistent role, despite flashing electric playmaking ability. It remains to be seen if can Hardman can carry over his strong play from May and June, and the chemistry he has reportedly developed with Patrick Mahomes. If the 23 year-old converted cornerback really has taken a step forward, it will be a huge win for the Chiefs offense and for fantasy managers dedicated enough to stick with him.

RELATED: 

Byron Pringle

, Demarcus Robinson

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 7, 2021, 9:24 AM ET

More of this 'Sammy Watkins role' nonsense. People should pin this Thread as a reminder of what goes on in July between OTA's and Training Camp. Reporters with time on their hands, who need to write something...write something.
Yeah, having  déjà vu reading that blurb. Didn't he go into camp last year as the WR2 opposite Hill? Or was that the year before? 

I like the phrasing “enters camp as” - they know the competition is wide open, but they want to make fetch happen. 

He does this every offseason where he gets hyped up in July and by December he's behind Byron Pringle/Demarcus Robinson/etc. and Mahomes looks like he wants to chew him out for a bad drop/bad route run.

For all his mouthwatering speed, he just doesn't have WR instincts yet and compounds that with questionable hands/mental mistakes. He's a homeless man's Tyreek Hill on the roster with Hill already on the team and doesn't give you any size either, but you'll always see his name come up because he's dirt cheap in drafts.

Mecole Hardman (oblique) was upgraded to "full" in Thursday's practice.

The oblique had left him with a limited designation on Wednesday. If the Chiefs get in to a shootout on Sunday against the Browns, Hardman could return some real value in DFS. If they run more two tight-end sets, he very well may post a dud. The balance of those two options leaves Hardman as a risky FLEX, at least until we're sure he's in two-wideout sets. 

Sep 9, 2021, 5:23 PM ET

NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

Will the preseason usage of Mecole Hardman result in improved regular-season numbers starting on Sunday?

As long as Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce are in the lineup, it's difficult to see any other Chiefs receiver getting the ball on a consistent basis. Hardman will have his big games, but with Patrick Mahomes having so many other receivers to feed, they won't happen every week. -- Adam Teicher

Mecole Hardman caught 3-of-4 targets for 33 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' Week 3 loss to the Chargers, adding a two-yard rush. 

Hardman's eight-yard touchdown "catch" was in reality an eight-yard rush on a jet sweep. It went down in the books as a target, giving Hardman 15 through three games. Hardman has not been a zero, but the needed step forward has not come. For fantasy purposes, Hardman is the same zero-floor WR5 he has always been. The Eagles are on tap for Week 4.

Any shred of hope left here or time to dump for a dice roll on Lazard or discards like Robby Anderson?

Any shred of hope left here or time to dump for a dice roll on Lazard or discards like Robby Anderson?
Hardman is on my bench and very close to the waiver wire. Others on my roster ahead of him are Robby Anderson, Callaway, and Mooney. Hardman has had his chances and he just doesn't perform. 

Hardman is on my bench and very close to the waiver wire. Others on my roster ahead of him are Robby Anderson, Callaway, and Mooney. Hardman has had his chances and he just doesn't perform. 
You think he is bottom of the list of the ones you mentioned? Such a bummer he can't capitalize on a great situation.

Mecole Hardman caught 2-of-3 targets for 16 yards in Week 4 against the Eagles.

It's a letdown after Hardman had at least 50 yards or a touchdown the last two weeks. The Chiefs' No. 2 receiver, Hardman has fewer than five targets in 3-of-4 games. With Kansas City signing Josh Gordon, Hardman's role could take a hit when Gordon gets cleared.

You can't drop him but this guy is nothing more than a roster clogger. He's had so many opportunities to shine and just never gets the targets or production. What a waste. 

You think he is bottom of the list of the ones you mentioned? Such a bummer he can't capitalize on a great situation.
After Mooney's game. Yes! But to be honest Callaway and Anderson hasn't done much this season, but Anderson has shown the ability to flash big games.

You can't drop him but this guy is nothing more than a roster clogger. He's had so many opportunities to shine and just never gets the targets or production. What a waste. 
I'm with you and totally understand what you're saying here.. I am getting to the point though, where I am beginning to ask myself, why can't he be dropped.. He hasn't made an impression here in his 3rd year, and, for whatever reason, Mahomes seems less than thrilled with this guy.  

with bye weeks approaching......that is about the only thing keeping him in the conversation for owners who run into injury/bye week issues....a WTH desperation flex maybe....gotta see how Gordon fits in too..

Mecole Hardman caught 4-of-5 targets for 62 yards in the Chiefs' Week 6 win against Washington, adding one rush for six yards. 

Hardman coughed up a fumble on his lone rushing attempt, another addition to his seemingly never-ending pile of mistakes. The highlight of Hardman's day was a 49-yard catch down the sideline in the first half -- a play that could have resulted in a 70-yard touchdown if Hardman would have turned to the middle of the field instead of stepping out of bounds. Hardman's usage continues to be solid: After running the second most pass routes among KC receivers last week, Hardman was second in receiving yardage among Chiefs receivers in Week 6. He'll be an OK bye week flex option next week against a bad Titans secondary. 

- NBC SportsEDGE
#MecoleMistake

Mecole Hardman caught 5-of-7 targets for 63 yards in the Chiefs' Week 8 win over the Giants.

Hardman still has just one touchdown on the season, but he's settled in as the clear third option in the Chiefs' passing game behind Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Hardman has receiving lines of 9-76, 4-62, 4-28, and 5-63 over the last four weeks. Consider Hardman a boom-or-bust WR4 ahead of a Week 9 date with the Packers. The Chiefs can't seem to get Josh Gordon involved or on the field.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread