What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (2 Viewers)

Took him at 10.09 in a standard 12 team league. In a second redraft superflex 10 team league with 5 IDP instead of dst I took him 17.06. Both are yahoo leagues so I put him on IR in both and have claims out to add another flier in each league. I feel happy about this and hope he bounces back and gives us a second half of season boost
This is sooo last year.

I own multiple synasty shares of this guy. Im starting to worry.

If the head isnt right it doesnt matter about the feet.

I would only selll at a high price, but Im going to start quitely dangling him in all leagues.

I own multiple synasty shares of this guy. Im starting to worry.

If the head isnt right it doesnt matter about the feet.

I would only selll at a high price, but Im going to start quitely dangling him in all leagues.
Heck. In redraft I’m starting to wonder about the head being right, even after just drafting him last night. And wondering if I can find a trade partner that wants to buy the brand name, and I don’t have to deal with the headache on my bench. 

Realistically he’s probably not start-able until week 8.

I do own Callaway as a sort of reverse insurance plan to start the season. If he produces with Winston and without thomas it may make the waters even murkier when thomas returns. 

Saints placed WR Michael Thomas (ankle) on the reserve/COVID list. 

He's also currently on the team's reserve/PUP list. Although his vaccination status is unclear, Thomas' stint on the COVID list is likely a minor setback. Whether he'll be at full health when he's first eligible to return to the field in Week 8 is a true question mark.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Sep 14, 2021, 4:43 PM ET

Saints activated Michael Thomas from the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Thomas remains on the reserve/PUP list due to his ankle injury and subsequent surgery so nothing changes for him from a fantasy perspective. He spent nearly two weeks on the COVID list but wasn't going to be practicing during that time anyway so it's unlikely to affect him at all. Thomas will be eligible to return for the Saints' Week 8 game against the Bucs.

SOURCE: Katherine Terrell on Twitter

Sep 26, 2021, 10:41 AM ET

How are we feeling about this guy. Not much new info I know, but I'm really thinking he is a dynasty sell.
If you follow him on Twitter he tweets about the Saints and teammates success. Which makes me hesitate to think there’s bad blood everyone speculated about. Whether he can perform or not is the next question. But if he can. Watch out for my 1-3 team!

Yes it’s 6 weeks, not 6 games.
I've seen this reported by MSM in both directions. Any chance anyone has an official source? Because it seems batty to me to have a policy where it would be weeks and not games. But then this is the NFL. 

I suppose a good MSM source wouldn't be official if I can find another MSM source that contradicts it. What does the NFL say? It's not that I don't believe you it is that I have heard the opposite. And the opposite makes more sense to me, though either direction has pros and cons in terms of whether it is a good policy.

Plus I can't remember how this has gone down in prior seasons.

I've seen this reported by MSM in both directions. Any chance anyone has an official source? Because it seems batty to me to have a policy where it would be weeks and not games. But then this is the NFL. 

I suppose a good MSM source wouldn't be official if I can find another MSM source that contradicts it. What does the NFL say? It's not that I don't believe you it is that I have heard the opposite. And the opposite makes more sense to me, though either direction has pros and cons in terms of whether it is a good policy.

Plus I can't remember how this has gone down in prior seasons.
I’ll admit, it was something I heard at the time and do not remember form where anymore. I agree it would make way more sense to be 6 games and not weeks.

I’ll admit, it was something I heard at the time and do not remember form where anymore. I agree it would make way more sense to be 6 games and not weeks.
Since he is on PUP reserve you are correct, it is based on weeks. He can start practicing with team after week six. He can then be activated at anytime after start of practicing not to exceed three weeks. He has a five week window though if he doesn’t start practicing right away. If he isn’t activated within 3 weeks of starting practice OR he isn’t activated after five weeks after elligible to practice he is done for the year. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_unable_to_perform

I think people are confused because this is PUP not IR. It got confusing when they shortened IR to three weeks. But he is PUP, which he can be on since his injury started prior to season starting.

I assume he would practice for a week at least before actually playing in a game. Therefore week 8 seems likely for first action. 

This is my understanding. 

Any news on how he's recovering and if he's expected to be back once eligible? Seems awfully quiet for potentially being one week away

Any news on how he's recovering and if he's expected to be back once eligible? Seems awfully quiet for potentially being one week away
Biased as I have him dynasty, but just feel when he comes back people will collectively go: "Oh yeah that's right he's really good and still in his prime."

Just such unique odd circumstances for him the last 1.5 years have caused a group think fade. As we just saw with Toney sometimes those do not work out. :)

Biased as I have him dynasty, but just feel when he comes back people will collectively go: "Oh yeah that's right he's really good and still in his prime."

Just such unique odd circumstances for him the last 1.5 years have caused a group think fade. As we just saw with Toney sometimes those do not work out. :)
I drafted in redraft and have held 

I’m afraid Winston is going to keep him from being really good 

It's tough to say as Winston is running a passing game with no true alpha. 
Following along prepping for week 7 without Allen at QB. It's either Winston @ SEA which looks good on paper, but would get even more juicy if Thomas was healthy, or go Tua Time ATL @ MIA. Looks like Callaway is finally doing something. Adding Thomas would help NO on all fronts, including Kamara.

Seems too quiet and hardly any enthusiasm around Michael Thomas, who not too long ago was WR #1 overall in some ranks. Definitely at top 3. I also hear that the Thomas injury could take longer before he's back, even into week 10. Anyone have any idea on Thomas? Yes, Winston can turn it over, but he can also break out and have a 25-30 point game. Winston a tad more upside than Tua perhaps.

Wondering the same...drafted in redraft and held on IR.  But don't have a lot of guys I feel I can drop...and need to cover bye weeks.  And pissed I did not do this before today...but Gesicki is available (and I have Fant).  hate holding 2 TEs...but may want to grab Gesicki (and looks like there is a strange loophole in our league waivers for Thursday and Sunday London games...I could pick him up right now before he hits waivers).

But Thomas is really my only option to drop (and will move Carson to my IR spot).

But can't really drop much of the rest unless I drop Eli Mitchell (I have  ton of RBs at the moment...AJones, Barkley, Carson, Pollard, Chubba, Javonte, Eli Mitchell)  7 RBs...probably not needed and WR I am carrying 4 currently (Kupp, Jefferson, Higgins and Thomas).

Id probably drop Thomas and take that risk if I was deeper at WR.

Oct 15, 2021

Thomas is eligible to return to practice in Week 7 for the first time since having major ankle surgery in June and being placed on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list to start the season. It’s unclear if he will play immediately at Seattle or how long it will take him to get back up to speed.

However, he has been rehabbing with the team. And this was targeted as a likely timetable for his return when he first had surgery, with the Saints suggesting they were giving him time to recover fully when they placed him on the PUP list.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/34613/michael-thomas-among-eight-missing-starters-who-can-give-saints-juice-after-bye

Callaway still on many of my waiver wires where I own thomas. With so many byes. My move is to grab Callaway and take a wait and see approach through the week to see if thomas will play or if there’s any news of a snap count. Gives you a fighters chance on Monday night to play the right one.

I saw a rando Saints site pop up in my ad feed somewhere. I didn't click on it but the headline was "3 teams that should trade for Thomas".

I don't know how realistic it is that he might be traded but I do still wonder just how broken the relationship is there. 

Callaway still on many of my waiver wires where I own thomas. With so many byes. My move is to grab Callaway and take a wait and see approach through the week to see if thomas will play or if there’s any news of a snap count. Gives you a fighters chance on Monday night to play the right one.
Assuming he's active, which is a big assumption ATM, I don't see how anyone could start Thomas with any confidence on Monday.

I saw a rando Saints site pop up in my ad feed somewhere. I didn't click on it but the headline was "3 teams that should trade for Thomas".

I don't know how realistic it is that he might be traded but I do still wonder just how broken the relationship is there. 
If you follow Thomas on Twitter. He’s been celebrating the success of the team and teammates. Leading me to believe the bad blood story is a bit overblown by fantasy football commentators.

If you follow Thomas on Twitter. He’s been celebrating the success of the team and teammates. Leading me to believe the bad blood story is a bit overblown by fantasy football commentators.
Yeah it may very well be overblown. Plus time passes and things can change. I think everybody wants the best players on the field even if there is/was bad blood. 

Assuming he's active, which is a big assumption ATM, I don't see how anyone could start Thomas with any confidence on Monday.
I hadn't looked ahead far enough yet to know that it is the Monday game. Yeah no thanks. I would need to hear some pretty good news about them wanting to feature him like usual, to even consider it.

And to add to that I'd read they've patched things up to at least some degree. He's also been with the team this entire time including relocating to Dallas/Ft. Worth area  living out of a hotel  for close to a month when Ida hit.

Also his absence has increased his value to the team IMO.  If anyone thought his production was easily replaced due to genius of Payton or that his production was by and large a product of Payton scheming him open that line of thought looks considerably shakier. (also to those who think his production was Brees I would encourage you to look up his half a season worth of game logs with Teddy and Taysom as the starter)

As is the Saints are 3-2 and one could argue they need a WR more then any team in the league.

Yeah it may very well be overblown. Plus time passes and things can change. I think everybody wants the best players on the field even if there is/was bad blood. 

I hadn't looked ahead far enough yet to know that it is the Monday game. Yeah no thanks. I would need to hear some pretty good news about them wanting to feature him like usual, to even consider it.
Why I pointed out grabbing Callaway and taking a wait and see approach through the week might be a good strategy. I’m pretty locked up due to byes so thomas or Callaway in my flex is enticing if I can make the choice Monday night. Not for everyone. But an option.

Why I pointed out grabbing Callaway and taking a wait and see approach through the week might be a good strategy. I’m pretty locked up due to byes so thomas or Callaway in my flex is enticing if I can make the choice Monday night. Not for everyone. But an option.
callaway's value can go up significantly with MT's return too, so you potentially have a trade bait if MT comes back strong. callaway has skills, so i can see him great as a 2 rather than facing top flight coverage without MT.

i also drafted MT and have been holding. I'm hurting on the WR front, so I would start him with confidence on MNF if he puts in the practice this week. "with confidence" could be replaced with "out of desperation," but in fantasy is there really a difference?

Yeah well I am of the opinion that a good offense can support two WRs (for fantasy). And if Thomas comes back and does Thomas things, then Callaway may actually benefit from it. I have him in a number of spots and have largely been just holding. Very curious to see how this plays out. If he does Thomas things it could be a boost for Kamara as well.

i also drafted MT and have been holding. I'm hurting on the WR front, so I would start him with confidence on MNF if he puts in the practice this week. "with confidence" could be replaced with "out of desperation," but in fantasy is there really a difference?
For sure. WR has been more challenging than ever before for me this season.

I drafted no player this year more then Michael Thomas. This is all leagues with higher type overall stakes so once the news broke on his foot I pretty much went into every draft for ROS designating him as my 8th round pick, even willing to move up to 7 if nothing I liked presented itself.

At no point did I draft him expecting to put him in my lineup in week 7 and in fact have and continue to be of opinion it won't be an option as he's not going to be active. I'm just thinking he'll need 1-2 weeks of practice at minimum.

Saying that I did not realize until last week how many teams of mine are dire looking for week 7. Easily my most challenging bye week of the year along with a lot of players taking up space. If he surprised me and was active I'd not want to start him, but would be forced two on a few teams.

My outlook when I was drafting and has not changed has been along these lines:

A normal human being has a 4-6 month recovery time from his procedure. Now with that you can add in he's a finely tuned professional athlete who receives the highest available medical/rehab work known to man vs the fact he's being asked to perform feats far more difficult then the normal person plus his level of conditioning. So I kind of created this timeline when I was drafting him:

When week 7 kicks off he'll be at 4.5 months from surgery. I anticipated two week practice time and he's out weeks 7/8.

I put his debut as week 9, 5 months post-surgery.  Due to combo of factors ranging from having not played in awhile and conditioning I expect we don't see a normal snap count. I'm thinking he might start slow but in range of weeks 9-12 he provides low end WR2 PPR production. I'm thinking more of low end WR3 to start and gradual improvement.

Week 13 to ROS will put him at 6 plus months post surgery,  in football shape and quite possibly if not likely 100% recovered from the surgery.

I drafted no player this year more then Michael Thomas. This is all leagues with higher type overall stakes so once the news broke on his foot I pretty much went into every draft for ROS designating him as my 8th round pick, even willing to move up to 7 if nothing I liked presented itself.

At no point did I draft him expecting to put him in my lineup in week 7 and in fact have and continue to be of opinion it won't be an option as he's not going to be active. I'm just thinking he'll need 1-2 weeks of practice at minimum.

Saying that I did not realize until last week how many teams of mine are dire looking for week 7. Easily my most challenging bye week of the year along with a lot of players taking up space. If he surprised me and was active I'd not want to start him, but would be forced two on a few teams.

My outlook when I was drafting and has not changed has been along these lines:

A normal human being has a 4-6 month recovery time from his procedure. Now with that you can add in he's a finely tuned professional athlete who receives the highest available medical/rehab work known to man vs the fact he's being asked to perform feats far more difficult then the normal person plus his level of conditioning. So I kind of created this timeline when I was drafting him:

When week 7 kicks off he'll be at 4.5 months from surgery. I anticipated two week practice time and he's out weeks 7/8.

I put his debut as week 9, 5 months post-surgery.  Due to combo of factors ranging from having not played in awhile and conditioning I expect we don't see a normal snap count. I'm thinking he might start slow but in range of weeks 9-12 he provides low end WR2 PPR production. I'm thinking more of low end WR3 to start and gradual improvement.

Week 13 to ROS will put him at 6 plus months post surgery,  in football shape and quite possibly if not likely 100% recovered from the surgery.
Currently being reported that he’s likely a few weeks away. So this timeline you’ve presented holds true.  Good analysis.

ESPN's Field Yates reports Michael Thomas (ankle) is eligible to return from the PUP list this week. 

Thomas has missed the Saints' first five games following surgery on the ankle that kept him sidelined for much of the 2020 season. His return can't come soon enough for a New Orleans offense devoid of pass-catching talent outside Alvin Kamara. Without Thomas, the Saints have operated one of the run heaviest offenses in the NFL, registering a 55 percent rush rate through five games. Thomas' return would likely mean a more balanced offense, and Thomas would instantly become a target hog in games where Sean Payton can't grind it out on the ground. Thomas will instantly become a WR2 upon his return. New Orleans plays Seattle in Week 7. 

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter 

Oct 18, 2021, 9:40 AM ET

Saints' Michael Thomas: Not expected to return yet

(6 hrs ago) Thomas (ankle) is still multiple weeks away from a return, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Thomas began the 2021 season on the PUP list after undergoing left ankle surgery, making him eligible to return as early as Week 7, but it appears as though the star wideout will require a bit more time to rest before resuming practice activities. As the Saints come off a Week 6 bye and look toward a Monday night matchup in Seattle, it appears that Marquez Callaway and Deonte Harris (hamstring) are once again in line to serve as Jameis Winston's top wideouts.

Been holding for potential trade value but I have an embarrassment of riches at WR/TE (combined position, 12 team redraft) and not sure he's worth it.

This is not Drew Brees's Saints team. Payton has Winston on restraints ATM and they may not evolve into a prolific passing offense until next season, if ever.

I am no longer certain Thomas's return suddenly changes the game plan.

I still think his time with the Saints is done and some team will trade for him before the deadline. Packers?
No...the Packers are not trading for people.  They are not going to take on large cap numbers and give up draft capital at the same time.  If someone is released, they will pursue (see the difference in Whitney Mercilus to Stephon Gilmore).  They don't have the cap space to absorb a guy's cap hit/contract.

No...the Packers are not trading for people.  They are not going to take on large cap numbers and give up draft capital at the same time.  If someone is released, they will pursue (see the difference in Whitney Mercilus to Stephon Gilmore).  They don't have the cap space to absorb a guy's cap hit/contract.
Spot on

Was just dropped in a 12 team PPR league.

I'm at 6-1. Have Diggs, Godwin, Pittman, Boyd. Thinking of dropping for Boyd.

I could do worse than a healthy M. Thomas at WR4 with WR2 ish upside.

Go for it. I would. Thomas will be top target in his offense. Boyd will be third or lower it seems. He is slot type, so his upside is limited. Thomas has no such limitations. You can wait for him to gel in time for playoffs and hopefully be your number 2 or 3 wr. If it doesn’t turn out this way then he’s riding your bench like Boyd would. 

yup, i would drop for Boyd as well. ceiling is much higher

Been holding for potential trade value but I have an embarrassment of riches at WR/TE (combined position, 12 team redraft) and not sure he's worth it.

This is not Drew Brees's Saints team. Payton has Winston on restraints ATM and they may not evolve into a prolific passing offense until next season, if ever.

I am no longer certain Thomas's return suddenly changes the game plan.
I'm with you.  Payton has a chain around Winton as far as downfield passing & I don't think it's on the receivers.  so far his game plan is working.  I doubt that works against Tampa coming up.

As part of my walking wounded, I have MT, Gallup and Landry ... hoping one of them will step up and provide WR1/WR2 numbers by the end of the year. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread