What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (1 Viewer)

Sammy is the real deal.

3 for 157 and a TD

That TD just showcases how dangerous a player he is. He has the size and speed to split the two defenders, break the tackle, and then out run everyone fir the score

If he wasn't showboating, he has 2 TDs

Sammy is the real deal.

3 for 157 and a TD

That TD just showcases how dangerous a player he is. He has the size and speed to split the two defenders, break the tackle, and then out run everyone fir the score

And today he did that with only 6 targets.

He scores way too many TD's to be the next Andre Johnson.
Maybe I should have clarified that in the thread title. LOLKid is 21 years old. Buffalo found themselves a stud.
Cleveland has to be regretting letting Watkins slip thru their hands. Watkins is turning out to be the type of player I wouldn't give up 2 1st round picks; hell, I wouldn't trade him for anything

This kid is special. Lightning in a bottle. He has certainly rejuvenated Kyle Orton's career

Maybe I should have clarified that in the thread title. LOLKid is 21 years old. Buffalo found themselves a stud.
Cleveland has to be regretting letting Watkins slip thru their hands. Watkins is turning out to be the type of player I wouldn't give up 2 1st round picks; hell, I wouldn't trade him for anything

This kid is special. Lightning in a bottle. He has certainly rejuvenated Kyle Orton's career
I'd trade him plus another first for Aaron Rodgers in a heartbeat. I love Watkins, but a stud QB like Rodgers makes such a gigantic difference. Suddenly all your WRs are good to great with a guy like Rodgers.

Cleveland has to be regretting letting Watkins slip thru their hands. Watkins is turning out to be the type of player I wouldn't give up 2 1st round picks; hell, I wouldn't trade him for anythingThis kid is special. Lightning in a bottle. He has certainly rejuvenated Kyle Orton's career
I'd trade him plus another first for Aaron Rodgers in a heartbeat. I love Watkins, but a stud QB like Rodgers makes such a gigantic difference. Suddenly all your WRs are good to great with a guy like Rodgers.
Touche. I'm just assuming GB or IND would never trade their franchise QBs.

Watkins isn't even half a season into his career & he's had a major part of every single Bills' win this season.

Players like him do not come around every draft & I'm glad Whaley had the balls to go up and get him

Watkins had another play where he got wide open on a crossing route with nothing but green grass ahead of him and Kyle Orton just overthrew him badly.

38-590-5 at the midpoint, would prorate to 76-1,180-10 (though he is trending up with Orton, as noted).

* Kelvin Benjamin with a virtually identical 38-571-5, also through 8 games. Benjamin has been more consistent, Watkins more explosive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another touchdown? Has he grown another inch? What is he now, 6'11? Hes not elite though. Just very very very decent.

Sammy is the real deal.

3 for 157 and a TD

Yea, can you imagine how good he'd be if he just had the brains to get into the EZ before waltzing around with a defender on his back? I 'd like to think its a learning lesson that will humble him and make him better down the road, but on that second TD he ran around a little before going in. Oh well, at least he's no DJax..

Did Watkins cost anybody their FF game yesterday because of that play? Fortunately, I also had Brees, A. Brown, and K. Allen this week, so I won handily.

Ok, I usually don't troll and I guess I'm doing it wrong by announcing I am trolling But.....LOL

You mean, Orton has jumpstarted Watkins, not the other way around, right? After all, Watkins didn't do anything until Orton got under center.

Did Watkins cost anybody their FF game yesterday because of that play? Fortunately, I also had Brees, A. Brown, and K. Allen this week, so I won handily.
Depending on what Garcon does tonight, I may lose my game as a result of the showboating. :doh: Silly mistake, but hard to be too upset with Watkins after what still amounted to a big day.

socrates said:
dhockster said:
Depending on what Garcon does tonight, I may lose my game as a result of the showboating. :doh: Silly mistake, but hard to be too upset with Watkins after what still amounted to a big day.
how many does garcon need? Ppr?

matttyl said:
dhockster said:
I'll know after tonight.
Same boat. Sure would feel better with the extra 8-9 points but I'll probably take the L anyway barring a career game from Jordan Reed. :shrug:

Is Sammy Watkins too short to be a top fantasy receiver? Well, he currently ranks 12th in PPR as a rookie. And 7 of the 11 guys ahead of him are shorter than he is. Antonio Brown, Golden Tate, Randall Cobb, T.Y. Hilton, Jeremy Maclin, Emmanuel Sanders, and Steve Smith are all 6'0" or shorter.

Is Sammy Watkins too short to be a top fantasy receiver? Well, he currently ranks 12th in PPR as a rookie. And 7 of the 11 guys ahead of him are shorter than he is. Antonio Brown, Golden Tate, Randall Cobb, T.Y. Hilton, Jeremy Maclin, Emmanuel Sanders, and Steve Smith are all 6'0" or shorter.
Pretty hilarious that Randall Cobb is tied for the league lead in TD's halfway thru the season, in light of the silliness that milkman said earlier in this thread.

Adam Harstad said:
Sounds like a good start for discussion on the next era of elite WRs.

socrates said:
dhockster said:
how many does garcon need? Ppr?
Garcon fell short, leaving me a Sammy Watkins' showboat-too-early-missed-TD away from winning. If Watkins was 6'3" or taller, he would have been able to sense that defender behind him and easily scored. This is why receivers under 6-3 will never amount to a hill of beans. Dagnab it!

dhockster said:
:hey:

But it's a dynasty league where I'm rebuilding (got the 1.01 the hard way last year), so I'm not too broken up about it. ;) . I'm just thrilled to have this guy for the next decade.

Adam Harstad said:
No but his brain is too small.

Traded away AP and Harvin for him in my keeper league. Needed WR help badly and having him and Julio for the next few years isn't too shabby. Probably overpaid but I'm in win now mode and we can only roster 6 RBs max and AP was just wasting a spot.

Serious question here. Anybody prefer Jordan Matthews to Watkins long term?
Some people still do, though I wonder how much is stubbornness (at least, a stubborn devotion to their initial discounting of Watkins- I can understand stubbornly clinging to a positive eval of a rookie like Matthews who simply hasn't done much in his first career games).

They're in an ever-shrinking minority.

Randy Moss = Rocket Scientist.
Moss was ridiculously intelligent. Really, much of the Randy Moss persona got built early in his career and trotted out as a handy foil, but when Moss joined New England Brady and Belichick both could not stop gushing about his on-field intelligence. Which makes sense. You don't dominate like that unless all factors are working in your favor, which is partly why I never bought into the "Randy Moss was lazy" narratives, either.

Traded away AP and Harvin for him in my keeper league. Needed WR help badly and having him and Julio for the next few years isn't too shabby. Probably overpaid but I'm in win now mode and we can only roster 6 RBs max and AP was just wasting a spot.
I don't think that's an overpay at all...

Randy Moss = Rocket Scientist.
Moss was ridiculously intelligent. Really, much of the Randy Moss persona got built early in his career and trotted out as a handy foil, but when Moss joined New England Brady and Belichick both could not stop gushing about his on-field intelligence. Which makes sense. You don't dominate like that unless all factors are working in your favor, which is partly why I never bought into the "Randy Moss was lazy" narratives, either.
In all fairness, Randy was was lazy on gameday for the Raiders oftentimes. This is off of memory, but I recall chatting with Raider's fans who would lament his route running when he wasn't involved in the play - not selling his route at all. Even sometimes when the pass would come his way he'd put half an effort into catching it.

Maybe that's not laziness, but it's something akin to it. I'm not surprised he used all his tools when he got to a winning team, but he really seemed to let off the gas when things weren't going well for him.

Maybe my memory's failing me, but I remember conversations back then about Moss being a bit lazy/unmotivated/unhappy/whatever-u-call-it on gamedays, and I'd bet it was about the same in practice.

Am I totally off on this?

Maybe my memory's failing me, but I remember conversations back then about Moss being a bit lazy/unmotivated/unhappy/whatever-u-call-it on gamedays, and I'd bet it was about the same in practice.

Am I totally off on this?
He didn't put in a lot of effort when he knew the ball wasn't coming his way, that was something he did most of his career. His last year in Minn he loafed his way through the season, but still ended up with 13 TD's. Anyone who watched him in Oakland knows he was going through the motions, especially his second year there. The all-time records could have been his if he'd wanted them.

He didn't put in a lot of effort when he knew the ball wasn't coming his way, that was something he did most of his career. His last year in Minn he loafed his way through the season, but still ended up with 13 TD's. Anyone who watched him in Oakland knows he was going through the motions, especially his second year there. The all-time records could have been his if he'd wanted them.
He didn't loaf that year, he was injured. Like, legitimately injured. Minnesota basically used him all season long like New Orleans has used Jimmy Graham when he's nursing an injury- part-time decoy, full-time red zone weapon.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Bills will do a precautionary MRI on Sammy Watkins' groin, but the injury isn't believed to be serious.
FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo had a similar report. Coach Doug Marrone was playing it coy after practice, saying Watkins could either be back on the field Thursday or miss 2-3 weeks. It sounds like Watkins has a pretty decent chance to play Week 10 against the Chiefs. He may have just tweaked the preexisting injury.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 5 - 3:46 PM

Rotoworld:

Citing a person familiar with the diagnosis of Sammy Watkins' groin injury, the Associated Press reports Watkins "will be ready to play" in Week 10 against Kansas City.

Watkins underwent an MRI after tweaking the groin in Wednesday's practice. It sounds like the exam came back clean. Per the AP, "Watkins didn't show any noticeable signs of the injury in the team's locker room following practice." The person informed of Watkins' diagnosis "said Watkins is fine and ready to go."

Source: Associated Press
Nov 5 - 10:34 PM

Users who are viewing this thread