What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Stefon Diggs, HOU (1 Viewer)

Is Diggs really that special? The emergence of Thielen in conjunction with the decline of Diggs (both injury and performance) has me wondering if what he did was special. I almost spent a ton of capital to get him in a trade but glad I didn't. Not nearly as high on him as I was earlier in the year. Owner in my league got greedy and it cost him a huge haul. Funny how these things play out. 

Is Diggs really that special? The emergence of Thielen in conjunction with the decline of Diggs (both injury and performance) has me wondering if what he did was special. I almost spent a ton of capital to get him in a trade but glad I didn't. Not nearly as high on him as I was earlier in the year. Owner in my league got greedy and it cost him a huge haul. Funny how these things play out. 
 I see Antonio Brown/Amari Cooper in his game so I think he can be special but it all starts with him staying healthy. I don't think he declined in performance so much he was just banged up, which is an issue for him going back to college so a bit of a concern. If he can be healthy I think he's a 90-100 annual catch l kind of guy.

lDiggs: Sam Throws A Hell of a Ball

He says he had a groin injury in the Giants game that he never fully recovered from. He takes responsibility for that and taking better care of himself to hopefully prevent these type of injuries from happening.
I am really having a hard time slotting him this year...he was frustrating last year and that offense gets me a little nervous but he has big blow-up potential...how would you rate him compared to Terrell Pryor?

I am really having a hard time slotting him this year...he was frustrating last year and that offense gets me a little nervous but he has big blow-up potential...how would you rate him compared to Terrell Pryor?
I do not know that much about Terrell Pryor to be honest, so not the best person to ask about that.

I know he started as a QB and had some big games for the Raiders early in his career, mostly because of his running ability. Then he converted to WR and played well for the Browns in that role. I did not see many Browns games last year. Maybe one. The Browns didn't keep him, and he signed with Washington.I have never really seen him play much at all to offer an opinion. He is very athletic, but how does he win as a WR? I don't really know. I never evaluated him as a QB either. In any case he has been a long term project type of career thus far, which is pretty unlike Diggs.

Stefon Diggs is a polished WR coached by Keenan McCardell in college. He showed up knowing how to play WR and was the most talked about player during otas and preseason of his rookie year.

He did not start or play in any games until week 4 of his rookie season, against Denver and he gets 6 receptions 87 yards. He made some very good NFL corners look bad with his quickness, change of direction, subtle fakes and good route running. Diggs really breaks off his routes sharply and gains separation with his breaks. He provides an open target for QBs to get him the ball and quickly. He played well for the first 4 games of his rookie season, it wasn't a fluke, he was just winning with good route running ability which is something that is sustainable. At the same time he has had injuries. Some of them seem like fluke things, such as a kidney injury and a broken leg in college. Some other injuries like groin and hamstring as a pro that have limited his effectiveness. There were games last year that Diggs started but was mostly just used as a decoy because he wasn't healthy.

Personality wise Diggs has the swagger of a top WR. He is the only Vikings  WR who came in and proved he was the best WR on the team from day one besides Randy Moss. Both players came ready to play and kept getting better. Not saying Diggs is as good as Moss, I just mean as far as being ready to play and producing from day one (although the coaches did start Charles Johnson over Diggs the first 3 games inexplicably).

Love Diggs, hate the passing offense and Bradford.  Diggs will probably have 4 monster games and a bunch of meh games.  I traded Diggs to obtain a rookie 1.06 pick to rid myself of the disappointment and unreliability that I foresee.

Stefon Diggs says he was "never the same" after suffering a groin injury in Week 4 last season.
Diggs topped 100 yards in each of the Vikings' first two games, then did so just once the rest of the season. This is the second time that Diggs has taken full responsibility for the downturn, attributing it to not being in good enough shape. "Stuff like that is on me, staying healthy," he said. Now entering his third NFL season, Diggs offers 90-plus-reception potential after an 84-catch 2016.

Source: Matt Vensel on Twitter 
May 31 - 11:27 PM

This shows as him and Thielen basically switched targets following his injury. 

Diggs is turning into a fantasy tease it seems. Kind of like a Chad Johnson type player. Huge games 3 times a season but the other he's either hurt or getting you 3/35. 

That all said I might just come back for another shot this year... depends on the price. Definitely don't want to count on him as nothingmore than a WR3. Maybe my flex option  

Used to think his main drawback was the offense but I was buying him up some places anyway just because of potential I saw in him but now think his main issue is just staying healty.

I think I've said before in this thread he was the #1 ranked WR in the country the year he came out. That is not true actually, was going off something I heard, he was ahead of Amari but #2 WR(after DHB) on most national ranking lists.  From the time when he first broke out I thought he looked a lot like Cooper and young Brown. Fantasy speaking he's putting up just 1.2 points per game(PPR) less than Cooper since they have both been in the league and I'm a big fan of Cooper, but Diggs might be a better bargain. If you comp him vs young Brown, and even if you you throw out Browns rookie season when he barely played here are Browns year 2 and 3 stats vs Diggs.

Brown: 29 games, 135 receptions, 1,895 yards, 7 TD's(remember when the knock on him was he was not much of a red zone guy so his upside was limited)

Diggs: 27 games, 136 receptions,1,623 yards,  7 TD's.

Diggs also has a higher fantasy points per target then both Cooper and Brown had after their first 2 and 3 seasons respectively.

I'm sure one could find a plethora of other WR's to compare their numbers vs Cooper and young Brown and but I'm not comparing their numbers because  they are somewhat similar I am comparing them because I think they are somewhat similar players. Diggs just needs to stay healthy.

Used to think his main drawback was the offense but I was buying him up some places anyway just because of potential I saw in him but now think his main issue is just staying healty.

I think I've said before in this thread he was the #1 ranked WR in the country the year he came out. That is not true actually, was going off something I heard, he was ahead of Amari but #2 WR(after DHB) on most national ranking lists.  From the time when he first broke out I thought he looked a lot like Cooper and young Brown. Fantasy speaking he's putting up just 1.2 points per game(PPR) less than Cooper since they have both been in the league and I'm a big fan of Cooper, but Diggs might be a better bargain. If you comp him vs young Brown, and even if you you throw out Browns rookie season when he barely played here are Browns year 2 and 3 stats vs Diggs.

Brown: 29 games, 135 receptions, 1,895 yards, 7 TD's(remember when the knock on him was he was not much of a red zone guy so his upside was limited)

Diggs: 27 games, 136 receptions,1,623 yards,  7 TD's.

Diggs also has a higher fantasy points per target then both Cooper and Brown had after their first 2 and 3 seasons respectively.

I'm sure one could find a plethora of other WR's to compare their numbers vs Cooper and young Brown and but I'm not comparing their numbers because  they are somewhat similar I am comparing them because I think they are somewhat similar players. Diggs just needs to stay healthy.
Diggs is kind of a possession WR but with long play potential. Kind of reminds me of Randall Cobb to be honest. Playing that kind of role you're bound to get beat up more than the guy running fly routes all the time. 

Diggs can be had for WR3 value but he can put up WR1/2 numbers. However, that's just if you look at his end of season numbers. 
What really concerns me is if you look at his game log from 2015 and 2016 they look eerily similar to something I'd see from Chad Johnson; 30, 40 yards for 8 games, 3-4 okay games at about 80-90 yards, and 3-4 games where he's scoring eye popping numbers. At the end of the season his stats stand pretty good with the top 15-25 WRs in the league. Sure, his end of season statistics can be on par with a guy like Brown at the same stage in his career, but if you look at Brown's game log from the same timeline that you reference, you will see 70-80 yards a game. Diggs just doesn't offer that kind of consistency. 

Games under 50 yards receiving:
Diggs years 1 and 2: 15 (26 games played)
Brown years 2 and 3: 9 (29 games played)

Diggs has 5 100+ yard performances over those same years. 

You just can't start Diggs every week because statistics show he has about a 58% chance of scoring you a 50 yard no TD performance. 20% chance of getting you 100+ yards. The odds are not in my favor for him, so for that I may very well pass

Last edited by a moderator:
Diggs is kind of a possession WR but with long play potential. Kind of reminds me of Randall Cobb to be honest. Playing that kind of role you're bound to get beat up more than the guy running fly routes all the time. 

Diggs can be had for WR3 value but he can put up WR1/2 numbers. However, that's just if you look at his end of season numbers. 
What really concerns me is if you look at his game log from 2015 and 2016 they look eerily similar to something I'd see from Chad Johnson; 30, 40 yards for 8 games, 3-4 okay games at about 80-90 yards, and 3-4 games where he's scoring eye popping numbers. At the end of the season his stats stand pretty good with the top 15-25 WRs in the league. Sure, his end of season statistics can be on par with a guy like Brown at the same stage in his career, but if you look at Brown's game log from the same timeline that you reference, you will see 70-80 yards a game. Diggs just doesn't offer that kind of consistency. 

You just can't start Diggs every week because statistics show he has about a 58% chance of scoring you a 50 yard no TD performance. 20% chance of getting you 100+ yards. The odds are not in my favor for him, so for that I may very well pass
Very good points, but isn't that the risk/reward you want out of your WR3?  Someone who can put up WR1/2 numbers, but is expendable if they falter.

I would attribute his inconsistent play as the result of one thing, injuries.  He's been banged up both seasons after a few games. Thus why I keep saying his biggest obstacle is remaining healthy. I think he's actually the opposite of an inconsistent player when healthy, as it relates to PPR fantasy anyway.

Very good points, but isn't that the risk/reward you want out of your WR3?  Someone who can put up WR1/2 numbers, but is expendable if they falter.
Yes, this is where I'd target him, but I am not really sure I'd feel good putting him in as a bye week filler even... there are a lot of one week wonder kind of players that I could get off the WW (short bench league) and plug in for better results playing the match up game- feeling equally as good about it as if I had Diggs in there. So maybe that's why my thought process on him seems so different. 

I would attribute his inconsistent play as the result of one thing, injuries.  He's been banged up both seasons after a few games. Thus why I keep saying his biggest obstacle is remaining healthy. I think he's actually the opposite of an inconsistent player when healthy, as it relates to PPR fantasy anyway.
True. I'll give you that. I guess make or break it for him this year as far as staying healthy goes

dot

Absolutely love this guy when healthy.  Have him as my WR2 in a 16-teamer alongside Hopkins.... who only had 10 more points, but played in 3 more games than Diggs last season.  Big reason I took down the league crown.

Hoping for big things this year if he can shake the injury bug.

Diggs is the best player on offense

Wide receiver Stefon Diggs has been putting together a sensational training camp. There is nobody that competes better than Diggs on the field. His competitive fire and willingness to push others is showing up among everyone in the wide receiver room. His routes are so smooth/crisp and he simply freezes many defensive backs. His movement in and out of his breaks locks up defensive backs on a consistent basis.
Not that this is any surprise, but this has been the consistent thing I have been reading in all training camp reports on the Vikings is Diggs finding ways to get open and Bradford finding him for touchdowns.

Stefon Diggs caught 4-of-5 targets for 65 yards in the Vikings' second preseason game against the Seahawks.

Minnesota's starters played the bulk of the first half. Diggs' big gain was a 39-yard catch-and-run where he got behind Earl Thomas, beating zone coverage. Diggs has had a quiet summer, sort of lurking in the tall grass, but he has massive upside, especially in PPR leagues as long as his health cooperates. Diggs is a legit talent who has 90-plus catches upside this season.

That catch where he was drilled by Thomas was awesome. Almost nobody else hangs onto that ball.
Glad he made the catch. I believe Bradford had a better option to the outside on that play though. Its plays like that which cause Diggs to get hammered. Don't want too many of those.

Stefon Diggs caught 4-of-5 targets for 65 yards in the Vikings' second preseason game against the Seahawks.

Minnesota's starters played the bulk of the first half. Diggs' big gain was a 39-yard catch-and-run where he got behind Earl Thomas, beating zone coverage. Diggs has had a quiet summer, sort of lurking in the tall grass, but he has massive upside, especially in PPR leagues as long as his health cooperates. Diggs is a legit talent who has 90-plus catches upside this season.
Diggs has not had a quiet summer. Basically every practice he makes a TD and has some big plays, as noted in article above.

It has just become pretty normal for Diggs to make plays I guess. He has been doing that since day one.

Ok guys, so Diggs is a player that, for whatever reason, I've kind of overlooked this summer. What are we thinking? Can he be a reliable WR2 in PPR this year? 

The Vikings WRs were 13th in PPR scoring last year, which is pretty remarkable considering they were T24th in TDs (11.) Only the Pack and the Saints WR groups caught more passes.

Have always loved Diggs as a craftsman, he's a precise route runner and is great at creating space on short routes. We like to say TDs are variable, but I think the sample size is sufficient here: 7 TDs in 26 games, he's not going to catch too many go routes for long TDs and he's not a guy you throw a fade route to so he can outmuscle a smaller DB, so I doubt he ever hits double digits. He is great at what he does do.

Presuming he plays 16 games for the first time: 140 targets, 100-1100-6 is achievable. That's insane value for where his ADP is, and would have been good for WR10/WR13/WR15 the last 3 years. 

Interesting to me that many prognosticators think it's a coin flip between Diggs and Thielen, because they did seem to alternate weeks which one went off last year. On a PPG PPR basis, Diggs was WR13, Thielen was WR38. Targets were 8.61 /g vs. 5.75 /g. Treadwell and maybe even Floyd could eat into Thielen's usage - those are the Vikes three bigger WRs - whereas Jarius Wright poses no threat to Diggs slot receiver snaps. Stefon can play outside (and did often when Turner was OC), but after Shurmur took over as OC he was in the slot about 65% of the time.

That is an interesting stat BL in regards to the WRs as a whole. The Vikings did throw the ball 588 times last season. A large part of that is because they were unable to run the ball. I am expecting those attempts to fall back to around 550 this year because of improvements to the offensive line and Dalvin Cook.

I like your optimism in regards to the numbers you see Diggs putting up. I think that may be a little high but it wouldn't really surprise me if he caught 100 this year. I do think he should pass the 1000 yard mark.

Adam Theilen did very well with Bradford last season and I expect him to be pretty involved with their offense again this year, but I have never seen the two WR as equal as far as ability and the level of utilization. Some of Theilens big games were when Diggs was out or playing injured. The alternating of weeks between them more tied to Diggs not being healthy than the game in my opinion. I know some of the plays Theilen made last year would have been plays to Diggs if he had been healthy.

Treadwell is back practicing now. Remains to be seen if he will play in the 3rd preseason game or not. Although the prospects for Treadwell seem bleak right now he said some candid things in recent interview about his experience as a rookie last season. Treadwell admitted that he was able to get by on physicality in college and that he didn't realize until some point last season how athletic and physical ALL NFL players are. He said he realized that the thing that separates players at the pro level in their technique, the mental aspects of the game. He mentions DIggs and Theilen as his examples for that, and that he is trying to become a smarter, more technically sound WR this offseason. He seems to get it. Now if that translate to him doing more on the field is something I haven't seen yet. I hope he plays in the preseason so we can get a look. I can tell you a couple of the run plays with Dalvin Cook they had Jarius Wright in the slot as a key player for their run blocking and I would much rather see Treadwell in that spot for those plays than Wright.

Anyhow I see it pretty much the same as you. Diggs is the man. He is the Vikings WR #1 and should get the most action. Theilen more likely to split targets with other receivers such as Treadwell and possibly Floyd when he returns from suspension. So how would Theilens numbers be close to Diggs? I am not seeing it that way at all.

eta- I see Cook being more involved as a receiver than RB for the Vikings have been as well. So that should reduce some of the market share of targets for the receivers as a result.

Stefon Diggs caught 7-of-8 targets for 93 yards and two touchdowns in the Vikings' Week 1 win over the Saints.

Diggs did almost all of his damage in the first half, catching both touchdowns before the break before adding a 30-yard grab down the right sideline on the first pass play after the half. His first touchdown couldn't have come more wide open with Sam Bradford celebrating the score before the pass even landed in Diggs' hands. Diggs' second was a vise-grip snag in the front corner of the end zone with a defensive back all over him. The Vikings have moved Diggs outside this season, giving him more opportunities to make big plays with less traffic. When healthy, he's one of the better technicians at the position as an elite route runner with sturdy hands. He has massive upside in this revamped offense. Diggs will deal with Joe Haden and the Steelers in Week 2.

Scott Barrett‏ @ScottBarrettDFB

Among all 78 CBs >999 snaps (2014-2016) Joe Haden ranks:

PFF Grade: 8th-worst

Passer Rating: 3rd-worst

PPR/Tgt: 2nd-worst

PPR/Route: worst
Scott Barrett‏ @ScottBarrettDFB  5m5 minutes ago

Stefon Diggs ran 63% of his routes from RWR last week. Joe Haden lined up against RWR 100% of the time last week. A+ matchup.

I targeted this guy. He might push into WR1 numbers this year and could be had at borderline WR2-3 price. I see routes as good as Marvin Harrison, with toughness like Boldin taking huge hits without dropping the ball (10" mitts doesn't hurt). I'm glad they moved him outside. He has no problem getting open against corners and don't want him taking those inside hits from LBs anymore. Smart move for career longevity.

I targeted this guy. He might push into WR1 numbers this year and could be had at borderline WR2-3 price. I see routes as good as Marvin Harrison, with toughness like Boldin taking huge hits without dropping the ball (10" mitts doesn't hurt). I'm glad they moved him outside. He has no problem getting open against corners and don't want him taking those inside hits from LBs anymore. Smart move for career longevity.
Likewise - my two top preferences for 5th round (5.07 & 5.08 respectively) were Diggs & M.Bryant as my WR2. Missed Diggs in one league but landed him in the other. Very pleased with his performance. I don't think he'll have 2 TDs a week, but he production should be there PPR with Bradford's accuracy. 

So how do we feel about him today with Keenum potentially slinging the rock (errantly)?

While Bradford should start, I think I'm going to swap Diggs for Cohen this week. If we knew Bradford was 100%, I'd probably roll with Diggs, but don't want to take that chance. 

While Bradford should start, I think I'm going to swap Diggs for Cohen this week. If we knew Bradford was 100%, I'd probably roll with Diggs, but don't want to take that chance. 
If Bradford starts, I'm leaving in Diggs. If he can't go, or get word that he looks very affected by his knee during warm ups, then I'll slot in Corey Davis.

if Bradford can't move as much because of his knee that could mean more quick routes for Diggs and Thelien. mire receptions, shorter routes?

I'm starting regardless... my bench is matchup nightmare unless I gamble with Lockett or Lee

Ugh. Have some options in PPR but don't know if I want to bench him. Duke J, both AZ backs, Sproles, Beasley, Marvin J. UGH, dammit Glassford. 

Users who are viewing this thread