What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Stefon Diggs, HOU (1 Viewer)

I think the most important take away from this game is that Keenum is quite clearly not the worst back-up in the league. I still think he's an obvious downgrade from Bradford and that a lot of what we saw today was due to an absolutely depleted TB defense but it could be so much worse.
I think it's more that these WR's are way better then a lot of us have given them credit for (Diggs and Thielen). Keenum is awful. I won't budge from that statement. If they go up against a good pass rush with him in, I'll probably still think about sitting them. I'll need to look at the numbers but last week it seemed like they used Bradfords gameplan for Keenum because he had a massive number of air yards per attempt, I'm hoping that this was a lot more short routes because I do have confidence these guys can get open.

You really don't know why some one may have benched Diggs today?

I'll give you a small hint: C.K.
I guess it's just because I've been a believer in his talent since his rookie year. I consider him easily a top 24 WR, so unless you are stacked or in an 8-10 team league, you should be starting him regardless of matchup or QB. 

People get caught up in the illusion of control with their lineups. But it's a simple game: Start your best players every week no matter what. 

I guess it's just because I've been a believer in his talent since his rookie year. I consider him easily a top 24 WR, so unless you are stacked or in an 8-10 team league, you should be starting him regardless of matchup or QB. 

People get caught up in the illusion of control with their lineups. But it's a simple game: Start your best players every week no matter what. 
Last week I benched him BC of Keemum.  It was absolutely the right move as he didn't do much.  Were you here in this thread last week saying this?

I'm guessing this game says a lot more about the Bucs pass D than it does about Keenum.  I benched Diggs and I'm a fool.  I never bench my studs either.  One of those rare times I went with my 'gut' but when your gut is filled with herbs and hops...

So you weren't in this thread asking why in the world we would ever bench the guy the week he scored 5 points, you only make it over here to chide us when he goes for 35.
Sorry. Didn't realize Diggs owners were such a sensitive bunch.  :)

This has actually been useful as it gives good insight for me into potential owner perceptions. I view him as a stud, hence I'm surprised owners benched him after an off game. To me it's like someone benching Hopkins or Keenan after a dud. You'd have to be stacked to do that. 

Anyway, makes me think I can make an offer after a bad game or two. 

Raise your hand if you saw that coming. 

lol

i started him because my WR4 Cobb was hurt, and my god what a beast. My QB decision almost lost me the week (Wentz 26 over RWilson 53 :doh:  ) but Diggs led my team to a very likely victory. Hunt & Tate chipped in, but man - Diggs is a BEAST 

:wub:  

This has actually been useful as it gives good insight for me into potential owner perceptions. I view him as a stud, hence I'm surprised owners benched him after an off game. To me it's like someone benching Hopkins or Keenan after a dud. You'd have to be stacked to do that. 

He's my WR3 behind Tate & Baldwin. I probably woulda benched him if Cobb played.

its early in the season & last game was ugly. 

Get well soon, Cobb & thanks for helping me make the right roster choice. ;)  

I love his talent also - traded a first round pick to get him before he broke out. I benched him last week for Crowder and did the same this week. WRs are generally not QB-proof. Obviously I regret it (and it will cost me the win) but I still think it was the "right" decision based on what we knew at the time.

And you shouldn't start your "best" players every week. You should start the ones that you think will score the most points based on talent, opponent and situation.

I'm surprised owners benched him after an off game.
This is where you are overly simplifying things and where you are also wrong. I benched him last week also - so it wasn't because it was an "off game", but that did seem to justify the decision and make it easier to do it this week. A bad QB can easily destroy a WRs production. This week Keenum stepped up against a depleted secondary. I sure wish I didn't have what I thought was a better option. Crowder had a decent game as well but I lost by less than the margin of the difference between Crowder and Diggs so obviously it turned out to be the wrong decision.

ETA: I started Jordy Nelson and Michael Crabtree over him as well - so I guess all those decisions were wrong ultimately.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where you are overly simplifying things and where you are also wrong. I benched him last week also - so it wasn't because it was an "off game", but that did seem to justify the decision and make it easier to do it this week. A bad QB can easily destroy a WRs production. This week Keenum stepped up against a depleted secondary. I sure wish I didn't have what I thought was a better option. Crowder had a decent game as well but I lost by less than the margin of the difference between Crowder and Diggs so obviously it turned out to be the wrong decision.

ETA: I started Jordy Nelson and Michael Crabtree over him as well - so I guess all those decisions were wrong ultimately.
Don't forget Keenum has destroyed TB in the past.

Has nothing to do with being sensitive, although I am delicate enough to use Old Spice.  It has to do with how convenient it is that you weren't here last week thumping your chest about how wrong we were to sit him in Keenum's first start where he had about 9 minutes of prep as the starting QB that week, you waited until Diggs went for 35 to show us your brilliance.

We didn't bench him because he had an off game.  We benched him because the donkey throwing him the ball hasn't been able to earn a starting job anywhere longer than 5 games.  despite QB's like Glennon, Bortles, McCown, Petty, Fitzpatrick, Osweilier, Hoyer, and Trevor Siemien getting starts in the past 12 months.

I'm not sure but I think the moral here is who cares! Diggs is a must start!
I do because it matters. Diggs has faced DET twice in his career. The first time he faced them was 2015 but he played in the slot. He got to face off against Quandre Diggs. He toasted him and put up a 6/108/1 stat line. In 2016 Slay missed the game with an injury and Diggs put up a 13/80/0 stat but still played in the slot. Now he plays on the outside and will face off against Slay, someone much faster than Quandre Diggs, both are technically playing out of their minds right now.

We're all still going to start him but there's a talent chasm between the banged up TB defense he faced last week and DET. Just temper expectations a bit.

Just temper expectations a bit.
He's the #1 WR in fantasy. I don't think anyone expected that, even me. So yes, but he most assuredly is on pace to outperform his draft position, the question is, by how much? Are there 24 WRs you want in front of him? 12? Where do you rank a guy producing with trash at QB? Precious few WRs are QB proof.

He's the #1 WR in fantasy. I don't think anyone expected that, even me. So yes, but he most assuredly is on pace to outperform his draft position, the question is, by how much? Are there 24 WRs you want in front of him? 12? Where do you rank a guy producing with trash at QB? Precious few WRs are QB proof.
I'm not sure, I take everything game by game. So it's always a question of "where do I rank him this week". What I know is that his match-up week 1 was soft. His match-up vs. Haden week 2 was soft and as I noted in this thread he probably should've come out of that game with more of a 5/87/0 stat line. With Grimes out yesterday I don't know who matched up on him but it was clearly a plus match-up. This week will be his toughest test yet.

Would I treat him worse than a WR2 this week? No. But like I said, I would temper expectations.

Top 5 easy.  Only AB is sniffing him because of PPR. AB,  Evans, and OBJ are the only guys I'd consider trading straight up right now in redraft.

I do because it matters. Diggs has faced DET twice in his career. The first time he faced them was 2015 but he played in the slot. He got to face off against Quandre Diggs. He toasted him and put up a 6/108/1 stat line. In 2016 Slay missed the game with an injury and Diggs put up a 13/80/0 stat but still played in the slot. Now he plays on the outside and will face off against Slay, someone much faster than Quandre Diggs, both are technically playing out of their minds right now.

We're all still going to start him but there's a talent chasm between the banged up TB defense he faced last week and DET. Just temper expectations a bit.
In Diggs first year he primarily play the X WR position which is where Norv Turner kept putting his best WR. Charles Johnson started the year there before they activated Diggs and had him start there for the rest of the 2015 season.

I am sure he played some from the slot and the Z WR position as well. He plays them all, as does Adam Theilen.

In 2016 they did use Diggs out of the slot more. According to this 40% of his snaps he lined up in the slot. I think he mostly played the Z WR position for the other 60% but he likely lined up at X at times as well.

In 2017 there has been talk about using Adam Theilen out of the slot more and using the above source Diggs has run 15% of his snaps from the slot in the first two games. Not sure about that for the game yesterday.

Adam Theilen lined up as the slot 64% of the time over the first two games, he was used out of the slot 15% of the time in 2016.

These splits are always subject to change any given week because the WR can play all WR positions. So far Theilen is much more likely to line up against the nickle corner than Diggs is.

The Detroit Lions have been playing better defense than expected this year and will be a difficult challenge. I would assume that Diggs draws Slay in coverage for the most part but I don't know how much Detroit is actually playing man coverage or if they would have Slay follow Diggs or not.

I think Diggs can beat any corner in the league. His very first NFL game was against the Broncos and he was beating all of their very good corners pretty easily. Slay may be his biggest challenge this year though.

Both are elite level, it's time we start thinking about Diggs/Thielen like Marshall and Decker or Thomas and Sanders. Ya, there will be matchups you feel uncomfortable with but it's unlikely you'll want to start anyone over them unless your team is completely stacked.

In Diggs first year he primarily play the X WR position which is where Norv Turner kept putting his best WR. Charles Johnson started the year there before they activated Diggs and had him start there for the rest of the 2015 season.

I am sure he played some from the slot and the Z WR position as well. He plays them all, as does Adam Theilen.

In 2016 they did use Diggs out of the slot more. According to this 40% of his snaps he lined up in the slot. I think he mostly played the Z WR position for the other 60% but he likely lined up at X at times as well.

In 2017 there has been talk about using Adam Theilen out of the slot more and using the above source Diggs has run 15% of his snaps from the slot in the first two games. Not sure about that for the game yesterday.

Adam Theilen lined up as the slot 64% of the time over the first two games, he was used out of the slot 15% of the time in 2016.

These splits are always subject to change any given week because the WR can play all WR positions. So far Theilen is much more likely to line up against the nickle corner than Diggs is.

The Detroit Lions have been playing better defense than expected this year and will be a difficult challenge. I would assume that Diggs draws Slay in coverage for the most part but I don't know how much Detroit is actually playing man coverage or if they would have Slay follow Diggs or not.

I think Diggs can beat any corner in the league. His very first NFL game was against the Broncos and he was beating all of their very good corners pretty easily. Slay may be his biggest challenge this year though.
Ah, was it Wright who manned the slot in 15? Yeah I get that Diggs doesn't strictly line up in one position but I believe prior to yesterday he lined up in the Z on 59% of his snaps - at least according to pff. I'm not absolutely certain on this, I'll have to do more research but I believe Slay saw a lot of John Brown week 1 and OBJ week 2. At least when I watched their targets Slay was on them/making the tackle 80% of the time. There seems to be some disagreement as to how much he saw Julio so I'll have to check when the tape is released. Regardless, it still stands that Slay is playing at a very high level right now.

Both are elite level, it's time we start thinking about Diggs/Thielen like Marshall and Decker or Thomas and Sanders. Ya, there will be matchups you feel uncomfortable with but it's unlikely you'll want to start anyone over them unless your team is completely stacked.
Cart ahead of horse there IMO. Thomas/Sanders is perhaps the single best WR duo in the league... this isn't anywhere close to that. It's in the upper 50% for sure, maybe 25%, but to call it on par with Thomas/Sanders is absurd IMO

Cart ahead of horse there IMO. Thomas/Sanders is perhaps the single best WR duo in the league... this isn't anywhere close to that. It's in the upper 50% for sure, maybe 25%, but to call it on par with Thomas/Sanders is absurd IMO
How is it absurd? Looking over the back half of last year and first part of this year? Sometimes these things are lucky enough to last as long as Sanders/Thomas have and sometimes they only get a short window like Decker/Marshall. The important thing is to identify it while it's happening and embrace it before your leaguemates do.

Ah, was it Wright who manned the slot in 15? Yeah I get that Diggs doesn't strictly line up in one position but I believe prior to yesterday he lined up in the Z on 59% of his snaps - at least according to pff. I'm not absolutely certain on this, I'll have to do more research but I believe Slay saw a lot of John Brown week 1 and OBJ week 2. At least when I watched their targets Slay was on them/making the tackle 80% of the time. There seems to be some disagreement as to how much he saw Julio so I'll have to check when the tape is released. Regardless, it still stands that Slay is playing at a very high level right now.
In 2015 they had Mike Wallace who mostly played the Z WR position for them, and thus Diggs and Johnson at the X WR.

I think Wallace is more of an X WR during his career but he played Z for the Vikings that year.

The match up for the Vikings offense that may be more important is Riley Reiff vs Ziggy Ansah. I don't think Vikings receivers were having problems getting open against the Steelers. Keenum just couldn't handle their pass rush, which was good.

How is it absurd? Looking over the back half of last year and first part of this year? Sometimes these things are lucky enough to last as long as Sanders/Thomas have and sometimes they only get a short window like Decker/Marshall. The important thing is to identify it while it's happening and embrace it before your leaguemates do.
:excited:

I've got Corey Davis and Taywan Taylor.

Chess, checkers.

In 2015 they had Mike Wallace who mostly played the Z WR position for them, and thus Diggs and Johnson at the X WR.

I think Wallace is more of an X WR during his career but he played Z for the Vikings that year.

The match up for the Vikings offense that may be more important is Riley Reiff vs Ziggy Ansah. I don't think Vikings receivers were having problems getting open against the Steelers. Keenum just couldn't handle their pass rush, which was good.
TBH the guy who has really come on is Zettel. Plays left End but they'll flip flop. Obviously, Ansah is phenomenal athlete, former (& probably future) Pro Bowler, but the second year guy has made a leap. The whole line gets a great push (they don't blitz much.)

Fair. I did notice that Keenum often looked towards Diggs when he was under pressure, more than any other WR, for whatever that's worth.

TBH the guy who has really come on is Zettel. Plays left End but they'll flip flop. Obviously, Ansah is phenomenal athlete, former (& probably future) Pro Bowler, but the second year guy has made a leap. The whole line gets a great push (they don't blitz much.)
Not familiar with Zeitel. I suppose he is one of the reasons the Lions are playing good defense.

How about the LBers? That seemed to be one of the weaknesses the Lions defense had last year. This might be a game where Kyle Rudolph is used more if the LB still can't cover?

I'm not sure, I take everything game by game. So it's always a question of "where do I rank him this week". What I know is that his match-up week 1 was soft. His match-up vs. Haden week 2 was soft and as I noted in this thread he probably should've come out of that game with more of a 5/87/0 stat line. With Grimes out yesterday I don't know who matched up on him but it was clearly a plus match-up. This week will be his toughest test yet.

Would I treat him worse than a WR2 this week? No. But like I said, I would temper expectations.
I agree with everything you said, and matchup makes up half the equation, and that aspect is a week to week formula for certain. Just look at Crabtree and the Raiders. However, we have to look at the other side as well, talent and opportunity. It's not like this guy has Tom Brady or anything close to resembling top10 QB throwing to him at any point in his career. Even Bradford is borderline decent (maybe top20) in my eyes which is mediocre at best for NFL standards and sub par in fantasy. Case Keenum? More than half of Keenum's points flowed through Diggs' production (47% of his yards and 66% of TDs) which showed that Diggs was heavily leaned on in this game. Let's give a little credit to Diggs here. The productive portion of the offense flowed through him with a backup QB. In his 3rd year he seems to have progressed nicely to WR1, somewhat under the radar still judging from draft position.

There will be tougher games going forward, but the game script last week was not conducive to min WRs going off, more towards RB. Cook had 27 carries and 5 recs (32 touches). MIN was up 21-3 at halftime and Diggs still produced in the 2nd half, scoring his 2nd TD on their first possession in the 3rd quarter. At 28-3 with almost half the game left to play, there was not a lot more opportunity coming to min Wrs the rest of the game. He mopped the floor with this matchup with a horrible QB in about a halftime's worth of play, which I don't think any other WR1 could have done significantly better in about a halftime's worth of play. He performed as a stud WR1 should in *this* opportunity.

He had a great matchup, this is a given, but his QB was not ideal and how many stud WRs fail to produce with juicy matchups every week with the starting QB in the game? If this was A.J. Green, Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson, and they put up 0-5 points in this same matchup, people would be in here saying, well its because the backup QB was playing, or it was because the game was in hand 28-3 early in the 3rd quarter and most would give them a pass. I venture to say Diggs outperformed what one would expect from a WR1 in a juicy matchup, with a backup QB throwing and if TB had kept the game close, I am certain he would have racked up even more points in the 2nd half. Be careful not to overlook this aspect.

We still need to see how he does vs tougher competition, and I'm willing to admit this could just be confirmation bias from an earlier post I made on Diggs.

By the way - forgive me if this was mentioned, kind of busy and just skimmed - you likely won't see Slay shadow Diggs. He'll flip sides but in the slot he'll get handed off to Quandre Diggs. Diggs was one of the best slot corners as a rookie two years ago, horrible last year, but went back to grading out elite (per PFF) this year. He doesn't have great speed, that's why he was a sixth rounder, but he has great agility and quickness - perfect qualities to be an effective slot Corner.

Slay is playing at a high level ATM but he's not a shutdown guy. Great instincts and a knack for making the big play. Has the speed to cover up mistakes. But he's more like top 5 or top 8 - not in the conversation for top 2 or 3 IMO. But I love the guy, and he's an awesome locker room guy as well. Keeps everyone loose, totally off the wall.

Fair. I did notice that Keenum often looked towards Diggs when he was under pressure, more than any other WR, for whatever that's worth.
Worth plenty.

Diggs and Thielen will both continue to be play every week guys as they will both get plenty of targets, because they both catch the ball with a very high rate of efficiency.

Not familiar with Zeitel. I suppose he is one of the reasons the Lions are playing good defense.

How about the LBers? That seemed to be one of the weaknesses the Lions defense had last year. This might be a game where Kyle Rudolph is used more if the LB still can't cover?
We are horrible. Tahir Whitehead ranked 73rd out of 76 LBs in coverage last year playing MLB last year. We moved him to weak side but he had to play MLB yesterday with Davis in the concussion protocol.

Reeves-Maybin is probably a year away from being good, he seems to be out of position when he is on the field. Probably won't see many snaps if JD is back.

Paul Worrilow was signed from Atlanta. He used to always rack up a ton of tackles, never watched him much with the Falcons. I'm underwhelmed so far.

Jarrad Davis has a great motor. He's special. Calls the defensive signals, if he doesn't make the Pro Bowl as a rookie, he will plenty of times before he is done. Bit undersized but has explosive quickness. Just a great football player.

Miles Killebrew is a SS but often plays LB in nickel and dime defenses. One of my favorite players. Not great speed but terrific ball instincts and hits like a freight train. Typically plays 40-60% of snaps depending on what packages the offense is running.

Solid front four (lacks depth), good defensive backfield, lousy LBs - your 2017 Detroit Lions defense. The Falcons gashed them yesterday with JD out and starting safety Wilson also out. 

Glover Quinn might be one of the best veteran safeties in the league. He will hurt you - he has authority to call coverages and he's a film room rat. His pick six yesterday happened because he knew exactly where Ryan was going on the play-action call.

Stats don't tell the full story... Yes, I agree that they are a pretty good duo. I was pretty high on Thielen to start the year and I think he's vastly underrated. They may produce as an elite-ish WR group but that doesn't make them as dominant. I think we are having two different discussions. From a FF perspective, yes this WR group would be right up there with some of the best of them in terms of producing startable WRs. I won't get into the other discussion because that would completely hijack the thread and we wouldnt' get anything accomplished 

We are horrible. Tahir Whitehead ranked 73rd out of 76 LBs in coverage last year playing MLB last year. We moved him to weak side but he had to play MLB yesterday with Davis in the concussion protocol.

Reeves-Maybin is probably a year away from being good, he seems to be out of position when he is on the field. Probably won't see many snaps if JD is back.

Paul Worrilow was signed from Atlanta. He used to always rack up a ton of tackles, never watched him much with the Falcons. I'm underwhelmed so far.

Jarrad Davis has a great motor. He's special. Calls the defensive signals, if he doesn't make the Pro Bowl as a rookie, he will plenty of times before he is done. Bit undersized but has explosive quickness. Just a great football player.

Miles Killebrew is a SS but often plays LB in nickel and dime defenses. One of my favorite players. Not great speed but terrific ball instincts and hits like a freight train. Typically plays 40-60% of snaps depending on what packages the offense is running.

Solid front four (lacks depth), good defensive backfield, lousy LBs - your 2017 Detroit Lions defense. The Falcons gashed them yesterday with JD out and starting safety Wilson also out. 

Glover Quinn might be one of the best veteran safeties in the league. He will hurt you - he has authority to call coverages and he's a film room rat. His pick six yesterday happened because he knew exactly where Ryan was going on the play-action call.
Ah Davis their first round pick this year. Glad to hear he is playing well. He should be available for the game I would assume.

Keenum wasn't really throwing to the TE or intermediate passes, but my game plan would be to try to pick on Whitehead with match ups as much as possible. Sad the Lions are still starting him. He is not good.

Can't say they didn't address this weakness though as 1st round pick on Davis indicates they prioritized getting better there and sounds like they have.

Looking forward to a good game. The Vikings have played much better at home so far than away. They meed to win their home games to have a chance at the division. I didn't like that the Vikings were swept by the Lions last year, in a couple close games that were winnable but if I recall correctly Bradford was not executing very well in those.

Ah Davis their first round pick this year. Glad to hear he is playing well. He should be available for the game I would assume.

Keenum wasn't really throwing to the TE or intermediate passes, but my game plan would be to try to pick on Whitehead with match ups as much as possible. Sad the Lions are still starting him. He is not good.

Can't say they didn't address this weakness though as 1st round pick on Davis indicates they prioritized getting better there and sounds like they have.

Looking forward to a good game. The Vikings have played much better at home so far than away. They meed to win their home games to have a chance at the division. I didn't like that the Vikings were swept by the Lions last year, in a couple close games that were winnable but if I recall correctly Bradford was not executing very well in those.
Hope it’s a good game. For personal reasons the Vikings rivalry has always been my favorite in the division. 

Currently trying to flip Diggs for Evans in a PPR.  Secretly hoping that the guy turns it down, this ride has been fun 

By the way - forgive me if this was mentioned, kind of busy and just skimmed - you likely won't see Slay shadow Diggs. He'll flip sides but in the slot he'll get handed off to Quandre Diggs. Diggs was one of the best slot corners as a rookie two years ago, horrible last year, but went back to grading out elite (per PFF) this year. He doesn't have great speed, that's why he was a sixth rounder, but he has great agility and quickness - perfect qualities to be an effective slot Corner.

Slay is playing at a high level ATM but he's not a shutdown guy. Great instincts and a knack for making the big play. Has the speed to cover up mistakes. But he's more like top 5 or top 8 - not in the conversation for top 2 or 3 IMO. But I love the guy, and he's an awesome locker room guy as well. Keeps everyone loose, totally off the wall.
FWIW essentially ever "expert" believes Slay with shadow Diggs. I don't know what threshold of snaps needs to be reached in order to constitute shadow coverage. Is it 60% of the snaps? 80%?  :shrug:

Diggs can get open against nearly anyone in the NFL. He's that good a route-runner. The question is, will Keenum target him when he doesn't have to, if he's drawing the top guy.

By the way - forgive me if this was mentioned, kind of busy and just skimmed - you likely won't see Slay shadow Diggs. He'll flip sides but in the slot he'll get handed off to Quandre Diggs. Diggs was one of the best slot corners as a rookie two years ago, horrible last year, but went back to grading out elite (per PFF) this year. He doesn't have great speed, that's why he was a sixth rounder, but he has great agility and quickness - perfect qualities to be an effective slot Corner.

Slay is playing at a high level ATM but he's not a shutdown guy. Great instincts and a knack for making the big play. Has the speed to cover up mistakes. But he's more like top 5 or top 8 - not in the conversation for top 2 or 3 IMO. But I love the guy, and he's an awesome locker room guy as well. Keeps everyone loose, totally off the wall.
Does anyone know the breakdown of slot vs outside for Thielen and Diggs this year? I was under the impression Diggs was mostly playing outside.

Anyway, in general I don't make many line-up decisions based on CB match-ups, other than maybe at the margins. But considering that I have to start Crabtree vs Denver this week, there's no way in hell I'm sitting Diggs.

Users who are viewing this thread