What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Stefon Diggs, HOU (2 Viewers)

Does anyone know the breakdown of slot vs outside for Thielen and Diggs this year? I was under the impression Diggs was mostly playing outside.

Anyway, in general I don't make many line-up decisions based on CB match-ups, other than maybe at the margins. But considering that I have to start Crabtree vs Denver this week, there's no way in hell I'm sitting Diggs.
Thielen 65%, Diggs 25%.

FWIW essentially ever "expert" believes Slay with shadow Diggs. I don't know what threshold of snaps needs to be reached in order to constitute shadow coverage. Is it 60% of the snaps? 80%?  :shrug:
Week 1 every expert said Patrick Peterson would shadow Tate. I posted (& several chose to disbelieve) that Matthieu would be on him more because Tate is in the slot 70+% & Detroit runs the 11 formation 76% of the time. PP shut down Marvin Jones on the outside.

In this instance, I’m pretty sure Diggs is mostly outside this year (in contrast to her first couple seasons.) He was only in the slot twice week 1 versus Saints  (8-93-2), not sure about since.

In Detroit’s Cover 4 scheme, Darius doesn’t go into the slot. His speed is his strength, Quandre Diggs agility makes him an excellent slot corner (he was good there as a rookie, fell off last year, back to excellence through 3 games this year.)

IMO Diggs will almost always get his because he’s such a great route runner. There was a stretch toward the end of his rookie year when you could jam him & disrupt him coming off the line but he’s gotten better at avoiding that. 

Thoughts on him playing this week?
I'm pessimistic from a FF perspective. I mean, he's played in the past through injuries like this. I'm a bit frustrated I trusted his glass groin this year again, after dealing with his issues last year. Honestly I wish he'd just sit for 3 weeks and get better and play to his best rather than gut through it the rest of the year and be a non-factor in this offense. 

I picked up Funchess and am starting him at WR over Diggs this week. Diggs is penciled in as my Flex but that can easily change. I may bench him in favor of Cohen, Collins, Crowell... That tells you what I think about him for this week

I do believe they will rest him, however it is GB at home, where MIN usually has GB's number. And they kind of need this win. 

On the other side of the ball, GB's secondary looks much better this year, especially the last few weeks. Unless he's fully healthy I don't see him having much of an impact, and it's highly unlikely he's fully healthy if he plays. 

Thoughts on him playing this week?
Up in the air at this point. I guess no practice today so thats not a good sign. Doesn't mean he won't play though.

We have seen Diggs play before when injured and be a decoy. So you have to worry about that possibility as well in regards to him.

I have no idea why the dude was in blocking late in the game, it really pissed me off.
He looked really bad right after he came in after his groin massage from the trainer.

He was running better on their last drive though. 

If it was a bad injury, he wouldn't have come in the game. 

Rose-colored glasses / cautiously optimistic.

If he doesn't get in a full practice this week I have to sit him. Already w/o A.J. Green and can't risk another goose egg.

I have no idea why the dude was in blocking late in the game, it really pissed me off.
With how the Vikings mismanaged Bradfords injury (in my opinion) I think we have to question the judgement of the coaches and medical staff making the right decisions for their players.

The Vikings had Eric Sugarman (head of the medical staff) talk to the press on Tuesday because of all the criticism they must have got from fans over the decision to start Bradford. That reeks of a staff covering their assess, they don't normally have Sugarman talk to the press.

Last edited by a moderator:
With how the Vikings mismanaged Bradfords injury (in my opinion) I think we have to question the judgement of the coaches and medical staff making the right decisions for their players.

The Vikings had Eric Sugarman (head of the medical staff) talk to the press on Tuesday because of all the criticism they must have got from fans over the decision to start Bradford. That reeks of a staff covering their assess, they don't normally have Sugarman talk to the press.
Then you would think they may be more cautious going forward

I would hope so.

Reading into Zimmers explanation for starting Bradford I thought he was lying. They maybe let Bradford make that call instead of using better judgement.
Bradford should know better.  He looked awful and was lucky not to reinjures himself.  The team has to know when to say no to a player

• Smile
Reactions: Jed
Bradford should know better.  He looked awful and was lucky not to reinjures himself.  The team has to know when to say no to a player
That is how they spun it, that he did reinjure himself. From what I saw he had no mobility even before being touched, so he looked injured to me before being hit.

Totally agree they need to know when to say no to the players, no matter who they are.

It does not have me feeling peachy about what may happen with Bridgewater down the road here. Bridgewater will likely push to play. I don't want to see Bridgewater rushed back before he is ready.

Although it goes without saying that injured players are usually less productive than when they're healthy, Graham Barfield provided a breakdown of Diggs' 2016 productivity when he's healthy versus when he spent time on the injury report, and it showed a pretty significant disparity between the two (18.86 PPG when off the injury report, 8.48 PPG when on the injury report).

While some players seem to perpetually exist on the injury report, and play well in spite of that, I don't think Diggs is one of those guys. As a player, I think he relies on elite route running and quickness to gain separation, which is why we see a significant decrease in targets when he's hobbled by any kind of ailment. He likely struggles to get open, resulting in fewer targets and fewer opportunities.

Regardless of if he plays, my expectations are significantly tempered, both for this week and the rest of the season, if he doesn't take the time to let his groin get right before playing again.

https://twitter.com/GrahamBarfield/status/890018871285096449

Something feels wrong in my life with how much I've been concerned about another guy's groin this week.

Per a Minnesota beat reporter (Chris Tomasson, for those interested), Diggs says he overall feels good about his groin, but Diggs doesn't know if he'll practice today.

This looks like a good match up because the Packers have multiple cornerbacks on the injury report and also the Packers offence forcing other teams to be more aggressive and pass more but its hard to trust Diggs even if he does start because he hasn't put up good numbers when playing through injuries in the past as pointed out by Moonshine.

Diggs has 4 games vs the Packers over the last two years. One great game, one average game and two clunkers. He did score a TD in both games against them last season though.

This looks like a good match up because the Packers have multiple cornerbacks on the injury report and also the Packers offence forcing other teams to be more aggressive and pass more but its hard to trust Diggs even if he does start because he hasn't put up good numbers when playing through injuries in the past as pointed out by Moonshine.

Diggs has 4 games vs the Packers over the last two years. One great game, one average game and two clunkers. He did score a TD in both games against them last season though.
Packers DBs have been much better since relying more on King and Jones, but as long as Randall is still a Packer there's a chance for giving \up a long TD. Diggs has done well against them in the past and this would be a great match up for him

Wish he's sit a week or three and let it fully heal. Groin falls into the list of dreadeds, along with turf toe, hamstring. Injuries players often try to play through when they would be much better off letting them heal and coming back 100% in a week or two (or three).

Packers DBs have been much better since relying more on King and Jones, but as long as Randall is still a Packer there's a chance for giving \up a long TD. Diggs has done well against them in the past and this would be a great match up for him
I thought Randall played a lot better last week against the Cowboys. Perhaps the benching the week before lit a fire under him?

House is questionable and not sure if King will clear concussion protocol or not.

I know I've been blowing up this thread, but confirmed no practice for Diggs today, although he still believes he will play on Sunday.

While he torched them last year, I can't roll the dice on nicked up Diggs. Plugging in Funchess for tonight instead, and hoping that Diggs is inactive on Sunday and takes some time to heal up.

I know I've been blowing up this thread, but confirmed no practice for Diggs today, although he still believes he will play.

While he torched them last year, I can't roll the dice on nicked up Diggs. Plugging in Funchess for tonight instead, and hoping that Diggs is inactive on Sunday and takes some time to heal up.
exactly what I'm doing. Funchess in at WR and then Diggs is slated for my flex. I'm between Diggs, Collins, Cohen, Crowell for flex. If Diggs is active I'm going with Diggs. If not I may roll the dice one more time on Cohen

Hoping that what Diggs says is correct and the injury isn't as bad as last year as he says. He did play 70% of the snaps in the most recent game.

Just hard to say if what he is saying is actually correct though. No practice today could just be cautious, giving him the rest he needs or could mean it is more serious than what he is saying. No way to really know which is true.

With Floyd back the Vikings do have enough depth that they should be fine without him, still would be nice to have him for the game though if he is healthy enough to play at a high level.

Diggs could ring my doorbell, tell me he's playing and then do a back flip and I still wouldn't start him this week.
The match up seems good.

I guess you just don't believe him? Or are there other reasons?

The only thing one can really trust is if he practices or not. Even then you have to question if he will play decoy or not, as he has in the past.

The match up seems good.

I guess you just don't believe him? Or are there other reasons?

The only thing one can really trust is if he practices or not. Even then you have to question if he will play decoy or not, as he has in the past.
I don't believe him, I don't trust him when he's injured. I'm unbelievably risk averse when it comes to fantasy football anyway. I'll sit practically anyone outside of a very select group of players.

I don't believe him, I don't trust him when he's injured. I'm unbelievably risk averse when it comes to fantasy football anyway. I'll sit practically anyone outside of a very select group of players.
I actually just saw something Tweeted by Garham Barfield. Diggs averages 3.8 for 34.8 when injured in 2016, 8.1 for 91.1 when not.

Thats fine.

Was just curious if you had some other reason to sit Diggs besides the injury that I hadn't considered. 

Diggs could ring my doorbell, tell me he's playing and then do a back flip and I still wouldn't start him this week.
I am fully with you.

I see these reports where Diggs says "he's playing on Sunday"... and if asked he'd probably tell you that he played on Monday night as well... but we all saw the truth.

I am fully with you.

I see these reports where Diggs says "he's playing on Sunday"... and if asked he'd probably tell you that he played on Monday night as well... but we all saw the truth.
Out of curiosity, would either of you play him if he does, in fact, suit up? Trying to figure out people who, if having to decide today, would bench him (for Thursday night players), or those who are no matter what sitting him. 

Out of curiosity, would either of you play him if he does, in fact, suit up? Trying to figure out people who, if having to decide today, would bench him (for Thursday night players), or those who are no matter what sitting him. 
Exact spot I am in... I am playing Benjamin tonight in place of Digg's with a "Q" on the weekend.

If I had a Thursday night guy, I would definitely play him over Diggs. As it stands, I don't have to make any decisions until Sunday.

This is all your fault, btw. You totally jinxed him in that other thread where you convinced me he wasn't injury prone!

Finishes the practice week with another DNP:

Rotoworld Football‏Verified account @Rotoworld_FB

Diggs finishes week with another DNP Friday
 Not super thrilled with what I got from Funchess last night, but I don't think Diggs is any more than a 50/50 shot to even suit up this weekend, much less be productive.

Crossing my fingers that they sit him, just so he can get another full week to get healthy.

Finishes the practice week with another DNP:

Not super thrilled with what I got from Funchess last night, but I don't think Diggs is any more than a 50/50 shot to even suit up this weekend, much less be productive.

Crossing my fingers that they sit him, just so he can get another full week to get healthy.
He's almost certainly sitting. I don't remember the last time someone who DNP all week played.

He's almost certainly sitting. I don't remember the last time someone who DNP all week played.
I tend to agree and I feel the same way as Moonshine about it, that they should sit Diggs and let him get fully healthy instead of risking aggravation of the injury potentially making him ineffective for more games like last year.

With what the Vikings did with Bradford last week as well as what they did with Diggs last year does concern me that they will play him anyways.

Some conflicting reports out there in regards to this though. The ones suggesting Diggs will play most likely using Diggs statement that he will as their source.

Makes our decisions a lot easier. After Bradford I think the coaches are a little gun-shy starting questionable players.

This really hurts...the only good news is it prevents him for being in your line-up and duplicating last week's results...just hope this week off is all it takes to get back to normal...if this is still lingering this time next week then it is time to get real concerned...

Not a good week to have AJG, Dez, and EZE all on bye.  Was needing Diggs, this drops my start to John Brown.  Yikes.

Not a good week to have AJG, Dez, and EZE all on bye.  Was needing Diggs, this drops my start to John Brown.  Yikes.
I'm looking at John Brown's buddy Jaron or JuJu...not really what I had planned back in August...

On conference call, Vikings HC Mike Zimmer was noncommittal about QB Sam Bradford and WR Stefon Diggs' availability against Ravens Sunday.
https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiecsun/status/920664496062062592

Here we go again. With how badly the groin injury affected him last year, I wouldn't mind if he sat another week or two as long as he comes back full health. I would be surprised if they kept him benched through the bye week, but you never know.

I just turned down an offer of Kelce straight up for my Diggs in dynasty PPR. I have Gronk already. I could flex Kelce or then try to move Gronk straight up for another WR, but I like Diggs more. Maybe I'm nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread