What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Zay Flowers, BAL (1 Viewer)

5’9”

Love the kid & he can play, but he’s tiny
Tyreke Hill was 5'8 and 1/8th at the combine
Waddle was 5'9 and 1/2 (4/8s)

Flowers came in today at 5/9 and 1/8.

I'm not telling anyone he's the next Tyreke Hill. But there's precedent for these sub-5'10 guys succeeding for the NFL and Fantasy. Would I feel better if he was 5'10 or 5'11? Sure. But the biggest knock on him being his height--and he's measuring between the two studs from Miami in that regard.

We've seen a shift in the NFL the last IDK how many years. Smaller guys are succeeding. I remember back in the day, I wanted all of the 6'3 220 guys. Now we're seeing all these 5'10-6 foot guys dominate. And many of the "5'10" guys aren't the full 5'10.

Edit to add: If you check ESPN/Rotoworld--they list Hill and Waddle at like 5'10. If you google their combine height, 5'8 and change for Hill, 5'9 and change for Waddle.
NFL Network—> Flowers was compared to T Lockett Sea WR in physical attributes & numbers. That could be a good comp pending where he lands
I was hoping early 2nd pick but could be gone by then

5’9”

I'm not telling anyone he's the next Tyreke Hill. But there's precedent for these sub-5'10 guys succeeding for the NFL and Fantasy. Would I feel better if he was 5'10 or 5'11? Sure. But the biggest knock on him being his height--and he's measuring between the two studs from Miami in that regard.

We've seen a shift in the NFL the last IDK how many years. Smaller guys are succeeding. I remember back in the day, I wanted all of the 6'3 220 guys. Now we're seeing all these 5'10-6 foot guys dominate. And many of the "5'10" guys aren't the full 5'10.

Edit to add: If you check ESPN/Rotoworld--they list Hill and Waddle at like 5'10. If you google their combine height, 5'8 and change for Hill, 5'9 and change for Waddle.
NFL Network—> Flowers was compared to T Lockett Sea WR in physical attributes & numbers. That could be a good comp pending where he lands

They've been talking about him being late first since the Shrine Bowl. Lot of teams fell in love with him.

5’9”

It will be an odd year with the draft...besides Bijan and Gibbs pretty much all the other top prospects have a pretty sizable swing as to where they will get drafted...once the NFL draft happens that will clear some stuff up but right now after those two you are gonna have to make some legit choices...they will not be lay-up/no-brainer picks.

It will be an odd year with the draft...besides Bijan and Gibbs pretty much all the other top prospects have a pretty sizable swing as to where they will get drafted...once the NFL draft happens that will clear some stuff up but right now after those two you are gonna have to make some legit choices
I was just thinking a few minutes ago how glad I am to not have any picks at 3 or 4 and have to mess with trying to figure that out.

5’9”

Absolutely true - Hill was unique in he went over the middle and took some tough hits.

I’m not sure Flowers is as stout? I’ll have to look into him more.

5’9”

It will be an odd year with the draft...besides Bijan and Gibbs pretty much all the other top prospects have a pretty sizable swing as to where they will get drafted...once the NFL draft happens that will clear some stuff up but right now after those two you are gonna have to make some legit choices...they will not be lay-up/no-brainer picks.
I wonder how many non-QB skill guys go in the first round since this class is supposed to be so special. I’m guessing it may only be 2-3 guys.

5’9”

I wonder how many non-QB skill guys go in the first round since this class is supposed to be so special. I’m guessing it may only be 2-3 guys.
I have been wondering the same. Every year the mock drafts around this time are littered with skill players, and seemingly every year in the NFL draft first round is all about edge rushers, D lineman, quarterbacks, and offensive tackles.

5’9”

I have been wondering the same. Every year the mock drafts around this time are littered with skill players, and seemingly every year in the NFL draft first round is all about edge rushers, D lineman, quarterbacks, and offensive tackles.
6 WRs went in Round 1 last season. I don’t think we sniff that this year - but no RBs last season (Hall went early second) and I’d be very surprised if Bijan does not go before that.

Maybe a guy like TE Meyer goes in late first though.

5’9”

Such a huge swing...for RB it will be Bijan and maybe Gibbs...at WR you have 4 potentials and TE is a complete wildcard as Mayer, Washington, Kincaid and Musgrave could all be #1's but you can't be surprised if they don't as well...that is a total of 10 potentials but the hard reality is Bijan is the only definite but I do have hard time believing 2 definitely and probably 3 WRs (and would not be surprised by 4) go in the 1st as that has turned into a premium position.

maybe Gibbs
I’d be surprised if Gibbs goes in the first but possible of course.

He is interesting...when you get to the bottom of the 1st you have teams like KC, Buffalo, Philly, Dallas and Cincy that are all good teams and either could use a RB or may need one depending on what happens with Pollard or Mixon...that being said with the depth of the RB class they could simply pass and figure it out later...right now there are just so many viable scenarios and I think we need to be ready to be surprised where some of these guys end up once the draft happens...will definitely make for some good speculation until then.

maybe Gibbs
I’d be surprised if Gibbs goes in the first but possible of course.

He is interesting...when you get to the bottom of the 1st you have teams like KC, Buffalo, Philly, Dallas and Cincy that are all good teams and either could use a RB or may need one depending on what happens with Pollard or Mixon...that being said with the depth of the RB class they could simply pass and figure it out later...right now there are just so many viable scenarios and I think we need to be ready to be surprised where some of these guys end up once the draft happens...will definitely make for some good speculation until then.
KC is possible. While Gibbs may be better than Cook, the Bills took a similar RB in Round 2 last year, so don’t see them. I could see them in on Bijan.
Dallas I’ve heard could be in on Bijan also, so maybe Gibbs is fall back.

Anyway, apologies for going off-topic, but I guess it started since I think Flowers is a guy that could be one of the first rounders.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Boston College WR Zay Flowers is meeting with the Giants and Saints.

Flowers is a safe bet to be taken in the first round of the draft. The Giants hold the No. 25 pick and the Saints sit at No. 29. Flowers could already be off the board by the time either team takes the podium, but both front offices are doing their due diligence on the wide receiver class. Flowers capped off a strong collegiate career with a 78-1,077-12 receiving line in 2022. He projects as an immediate starter, though his 5'9/182 frame may limit him to slot duties.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Mar 23, 2023 at 12:46 PM ET

There were so many plays last season where Flowers got wide open 20+ yards downfield, and the ball never even got out. BC was horrific last year, and Flowers was a 1-man offense for them. Probably a good bet no other Boston College player even gets drafted this year.

Flowers is my WR3 in this draft, and I think he profiles as a potential #1 WR despite his size. Tyler Lockett was brought up earlier as a comp, I've seen TY Hilton as well, and those both track. Flowers has great quicks, but also is pretty well rounded. He's not a 1-dimensional deep threat like Jalin Hyatt is.

I like the comparison to Tyler Lockett, but also consider similarities to Antonio Brown.

Steve Smith (2001)Antonio Brown (2010)Tyler Lockett (2015)Zay Flowers (2023)
Height5-95-105-105-9
Weight184186182182
Arm31 - 1/2313029 - 1/4
Hand9 - 1/498 - 3/89 - 1/4
40 yd Dash4.444.48 (Pro Day)4.404.42
10 yd Split1.541.561.551.53
Vertical Jump38 - 1/233 - 1/235 - 1/235 - 1/2
Broad JumpN/A8' 9"10' 1"10' 7"

* Edit to also add Steve Smith's numbers for comparison

Last edited:
I like the comparison to Tyler Lockett, but also consider similarities to Antonio Brown.

Steve Smith (2001)Antonio Brown (2010)Tyler Lockett (2015)Zay Flowers (2023)
Height5-95-105-105-9
Weight184186182182
Arm31 - 1/2313029 - 1/4
Hand9 - 1/498 - 3/9 - 1/4
40 yd Dash4.444.48 (Pro Day)4.404.42
10 yd Split1.541.561.551.53
Vertical Jump38 - 1/233 - 1/235 - 1/235 - 1/2
Broad JumpN/A8' 9"10' 1"10' 7"

* Edit to also add Steve Smith's numbers for comparison
What Steve Smith says about him.

Lockett looks so much smaller to me than the rest of those guys. I don’t know why but he’s always looked tiny to me while Smith, AB, and Flowers look much more filled out.

Lockett looks so much smaller to me than the rest of those guys. I don’t know why but he’s always looked tiny to me while Smith, AB, and Flowers look much more filled out.
It's funny because when you mentioned AB I immediately thought of Elijah Moore, who is 5'10 and 178. How much muscle Flowers' frame can handle and still maintain his speed/separation will be key. Prime AB was jacked while Lockett never really was a massive guy.

Warren Sharp
@SharpFootball
as the NFL trends more to zone coverage...
Zay Flowers could take advantage
posted a 52% positive play rate v zone (37% v man)
and was #4 in this class in missed/broken tackles
we also haven't come close to seeing what he can do because his QB situation was horrific at BC
only 60% of his targets were catchable
that ranked 62nd in this class out of 70 WOOF
but he still gained 8.5 yards per target whereas every other receiver on his team averaged 6.1 yards per target
@DanPizzuta
looks at the 2023 WR class:
LINK 2023 NFL Draft: Contextualizing Wide Receiver Production
...Lifting A Bad Offense
Zay Flowers is the WR4 in this class, per Grinding The Mocks, and among his strengths was carrying a bad offense that didn’t produce much without him. On throws not to Flowers, the Boston College offense averaged only 6.05 yards per pass attempt which was the third-lowest figure for a receiver prospect in this class.

Flowers has shown the ability to win in just about every area of the field, despite his frame of 5-foot-9 and 181 pounds. He won both outside and from the slot and 49% of his routes were charted as deep by SIS, the second-highest rate for a receiver in this class. In that way, he could profile like a Brandin Cooks-type receiver who wins on the outside with smaller size. ...
-----------------------------------------
Go to link for full read.

You're on the clock and trying to decide between Flowers and Downs, what are you going to do? Assuming not trading the pick of course.

I can see why it would since you're a Chiefs fan, but it didn't seem to help Hardman, Skyy Moore (yet) or CEH. People get all excited about players going to certain teams because of their offense, thinking it's a slam dunk, but we know that isn't always the case. Just like they used to with NE. Same way with free agents. Having said that, I would take Flowers over Downs for sure if he went to the Chiefs and Downs went to a bad team with a bad QB.

I can see why it would since you're a Chiefs fan, but it didn't seem to help Hardman, Skyy Moore (yet) or CEH. People get all excited about players going to certain teams because of their offense, thinking it's a slam dunk, but we know that isn't always the case. Just like they used to with NE. Same way with free agents. Having said that, I would take Flowers over Downs for sure if he went to the Chiefs and Downs went to a bad team with a bad QB.
OK... reverse that thinking....
Flowers goes to Baltimore and Downs goes to KC? Who do you take (assume 12 team late 1st round 1QB league)

What if Flowers goes to Miami behind Hill/Waddle and Downs goes to Phil behind AJB/Devonte? How much does landing spot impact them now?

Flowers seems to be the pick here. Just looking at both of their testing and their rankings by publications with film grinders. Why do they both strike me as this year's version of Skyy Moore, though?

I don't want either, frankly. Their athletic scores are really low according to Player Profiler. I'll pass, thanks. Maybe take a Day Three RB or something like that. Hwarf.

For me, the debate is Flowers vs Addison. But no, the 1st round WR options aren't inspiring stash options to burn the 1.7 on in start 2WR/flex1. I will say that Flowers has "it" if I'm just watching highlights. Between that and the lofty endorsements from the draft evaluators I trust most, he's the WR I think I could talk myself into.

And no, it doesn't help that I was very high on Skyy Moore last year.

You're on the clock and trying to decide between Flowers and Downs, what are you going to do? Assuming not trading the pick of course.
I have moved Flowers up a tier ahead of Downs, alongside Addison, Johnston and Charbonnet. I still have Downs at the top of the next tier, however, along with Tucker, Achane, Spears and Mims. Flowers is often being mocked as an end of Round 1 NFL pick; Downs is being mocked as a late Round 2 selection, if that matters. Draft Destination could be more significant than which round each player is selected, and that certainly could bump Downs up or Flowers down for me.

If I am making a decision today, I would easily take Flowers over Downs, and the gap between those tiers is fairly significant for me. Those values can change quickly, however.

Since other comps have been made, worth adding Waldman's (from A-Z podcast):

Flowers -- some shades of Waddle
Downs -- Landry

Like the AB one, I wouldn't take these too literally. But yeah, I agree that they're in a different tier.

NFL Draft Watch @NFLDraftWatxh
Zay Flowers is reportedly receiving “WR1” buzz among many teams and scouts. Many scouts reportedly view Flowers as the “top WR” in this year’s Draft. ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler noted that Flowers has been “surging” up Draft boards and said he wouldn’t be surprised if Flowers is the first WR selected. The Boston College WR is SPECIAL

NFL Draft Watch @NFLDraftWatxh
Zay Flowers’ change of direction is something ELSE

NFL Network's Taylor Bisciotti reports Boston College WR Zay Flowers is meeting with the Ravens on Monday.​

Flowers has already had reported pre-draft meetings with the Giants and Saints, and the Ravens would further remake their wideout room by bringing in the BC speedster to operate next to Odell Beckham and Rashod Bateman. The Ravens pick 22nd in the first round and have made a bunch of noise about adding to their wideout room in the draft.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Taylor Bisciotti on Twitter
Apr 16, 2023, 3:35 PM ET

I hit the character limit in my Route Running thread, so I'm putting the full quotes and links for each player in their bespoke threads.

+ "displays remarkable change of directions skills to change his speeds, both when running routes and after the catch", "runs a variety of routes to all areas of the field and can generate separation consistently with all of them" "Has made significant strides as a route runner to add nuance to routes", "does not have much experience facing Press-Jam coverage at the line of scrimmage" - https://247sports.com/college/bosto...-report-nfl-draft-2023-190378091/#190378091_2
+/- "creates separation up and down the route tree with his movement skills", "Rounds off too many in-breaking routes. Not always sharp on his slants or in-breakers.", "an unlimited route tree" - https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/zayflowers
+ "strong route runner who creates separation at the top of his route, shows burst/explosion and ability to create space, good stair step to create space on over/crossing routes", "runs diverse route tree at every level" - https://steelersdepot.com/2023/01/2023-nfl-draft-player-profiles-boston-college-wr-zay-flowers/
+ "His route running is crisp and explosive while taking advantage of the defenders’ leverage." - https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-skol-search-zay-flowers-boston-college/
+ "Flowers is the best pure separator in the draft class." - https://twitter.com/pff_college/status/1615440697015914497
+ "polished with his route running skills very electric" - https://twitter.com/drobalwayzopen/status/1619783337740226560
+/- "best described as a good collegiate route runner, but isn’t yet a true technician" - https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/2/...s-wr-boston-college-scouting-report-ny-giants
+ "excels in both route running and yards after the catch" - https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nfl-draft-zay-flowers-scouting-report/
+ "one of the best route runners in this year's NFL Draft" - https://twitter.com/nflrookiewatxh/status/1627426686831673345?s=21
+/- "Sudden feet to slip press and race ahead of coverage", "Stair-steps man coverage out of leveraged positioning", "Routes are fast and maintain their momentum through turns", "Routes need better salesmanship and attention to detail"
+ "unique change of direction speed that allowed him to consistently win in his routes" - https://www.thefantasyfootballers.c...-rookie-profile-zay-flowers-fantasy-football/

Users who are viewing this thread