What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yet another Pitt Bull attack (3 Viewers)

as a person who owns a pitbull, I am more than happy to submit a thorough Psych evaluation for everyone to review :lmao: .

going through this thread you can see multiple posts about how people acquired dogs. I went to the shelter and got a dog. Dog is doing great and is very caring of my 2 year old daughter. She is well trained and I don't let her babysit my kid. adopted the dog because we got along great with our first meeting. she was 6 months old and we began to train her immediately. She caught on better than any other dog I have trained. When I adopted this dog (about 10 years ago), I can state very clearly I was not trying to win any argument, nor trying to prove anything. I adopted a dog.
Unless you got the only dog at the shelter you did not simply get a dog, you chose a specific breed of dog.  Something within you motivated that choice.  You made the choice to satisfy your needs, psychic needs, not fundamental survival needs.  It was a psychological choice.  Now, unless you were living in a cave ten years ago you were at least somewhat aware of the debate on these animals.  You made your choice in the face of that information.  You did exactly what I have postulated, or so it seems to me. You disagree.  Many do, with much that I post. 

I am happy your needs were met and that you have had a positive experience.  I regret that it has made you an advocate for the breed, an example others may use to justify a similar choice but one with a tragic outcome, like the guy in the instant story who wanted three of these companions for whatever psychological  fulfillment he was seeking.

No, he obviously doesn't.  I apologize for interrupting the monthly pow wow in here to whine about a dog.
I invited you to present a dismantling of the specific logical conclusion arising from the stated premise, but you have thus far declined to do so. I’m happy to entertain your thought process on the issue. Thus far, the insults have been less than persuasive. 

I can't imagine adopting a pit bull from a shelter when you have no idea how it's been bred or (mis)treated prior to being abandoned.

I invited you to present a dismantling of the specific logical conclusion arising from the stated premise, but you have thus far declined to do so. I’m happy to entertain your thought process on the issue. Thus far, the insults have been less than persuasive. 
:lmao:  you've been saying the exact same thing for nine years ... like everyone else in here.  That behavior is more bizarre than someone adopting a pit bull.

:lmao:  you've been saying the exact same thing for nine years ... like everyone else in here.  That behavior is more bizarre than someone adopting a pit bull.
Once again, you haven't offered a critique of the logic.

As for the consistency of my position over the years, my hope has always been to convince others to consider making less risky decisions for themselves, their families and their neighbors.  Isn't that preferable to banning the breed altogether? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, you haven't offered a critique of the logic.

As for the consistency of my position over the years, my hope has always been to convince others to consider making less risky decisions for themselves, their families and their neighbors.  Isn't that preferable to banning the breed altogether? 
As @Ditkaless Wonders said, a conscious choice was made and then it turns into defensive behavior. I’m right with your logic that I would never risk my children or my neighbors to prove a point. I’d be willing to concede that most pit bulls likely never maul someone to death, but you are making a conscious choice to elevate your risk.

I liken it to walking across a parking lot into a store. Many people just walk without a care and 99.9% of the time cars will yield. When I walk across, especially with kids, I like to make sure I see the driver acknowledge my crossing because I don’t trust other people. I know I always yield to be nice, but it’s not worth the risk to assume. In that one case where a teenager is glued to her phone or an old guy isn’t paying attention, I know that my kids and I will not beat a car or truck. If it was a Labrador or soft cushy pillow car then I might not be as careful, but a pit bull/real car can kill me.

In our college dorm, we used to compete in a competition called the case club.  Teams of four people each had a beer bong and a case of beer. It was a relay where each member would bong two beers at once and then hand off to the next member. You did the cycle three times, so each member ended up bonging six beers. The key to winning was your team’s efficiency in getting the next two beers poured into the bong. We were one of the better teams (though not the best), and our best time to complete the case was 12 minutes and change. Because of the order of the relay (the first person goes first each of the three rounds), that means each member is bonging six beers in under 10 minutes. My stomach would almost burst every time. No way I could do that today. 

my hope has always been to convince others to consider making less risky decisions for themselves, their families and their neighbors.  
yeah, that's it :lmao:

yeah, that's it :lmao:
You aren’t very bright are you. First, like my analogy above, downing 6 beers in 10 minutes caused his stomach to bufrn, that’s it. Was there a chance of mauling or death? No. Second, did he ever risk another person’s life such as his or neighbor’s children? No. So, what he did had a way less risk ceiling than having a pit bull around children.

Yes, I am willing to go on an assumption here that 100% of the people in this thread would feel this is awful. Yet, did anyone actually read the article? it has to do about a wondering pack of dogs, and a lot less to do with whatever breed they were. a pack of dogs wondering has really nothing to do with the breed
Wait wtf are you talking about?  They were dogs owned by some moron. The owner had complained to the idiot about his crappy fence before. If he had owned three chihuahuas that little girl would still be alive. 

bigbottom said:
Hi man. Just read the last couple pages and I see the point you're trying to make about risk. I see what you're saying, but don't want to participate on either side of the argument. I want to more about your dog, or about dogs you've owned. Your dog history, so to speak. Just to see where you're coming from and to help me put everything I'm reading into context, it would be appreciated.

@Chaos Commish Sausage looks like a really sweet girl. Her nails are very well groomed, too! :cool:
Her first name was Sasha. That owner cropped her ears and tail at 6 mos with a meat cleaver. He kicked her in the ribs so hard she was found nearly dead from internal bleeding. Police brought her to the county shelter and she ended up at a rescue where my sis volunteered. First adoption was to a wealthy couple who returned her for turning their $25000 dining room table into a tripod. Another family thought she'd be a good addition but brought her back because she was just too stupid and stubborn to be trained. 

So I took on a breed from a Pit rescue big and powerful enough to dominate most Pits who had been abused then twice rejected. Oh so risky. I walked her several times, talked to my sis (a legit dog whisperer), the animal behaviorist who owns the shelter and decided to pay for a couple weeks obedience classes with a top LA dog trainer who fell in love with her. Everything went smooth and I took her home. 

It's due diligence bigbottom. Less risk in saving this sweet girl than taking on a pup.

Hi man. Just read the last couple pages and I see the point you're trying to make about risk. I see what you're saying, but don't want to participate on either side of the argument. I want to more about your dog, or about dogs you've owned. Your dog history, so to speak. Just to see where you're coming from and to help me put everything I'm reading into context, it would be appreciated.
I'd rather not say.

(Okay, okay, I've always had small dogs.  Our current dog, Zoe, is a shih-tzu poodle mix.  Looks like this.)

Her first name was Sasha. That owner cropped her ears and tail at 6 mos with a meat cleaver. He kicked her in the ribs so hard she was found nearly dead from internal bleeding. Police brought her to the county shelter and she ended up at a rescue where my sis volunteered. First adoption was to a wealthy couple who returned her for turning their $25000 dining room table into a tripod. Another family thought she'd be a good addition but brought her back because she was just too stupid and stubborn to be trained. 

So I took on a breed from a Pit rescue big and powerful enough to dominate most Pits who had been abused then twice rejected. Oh so risky. I walked her several times, talked to my sis (a legit dog whisperer), the animal behaviorist who owns the shelter and decided to pay for a couple weeks obedience classes with a top LA dog trainer who fell in love with her. Everything went smooth and I took her home. 

It's due diligence bigbottom. Less risk in saving this sweet girl than taking on a pup.
I'm very happy for you, and even happier for her.  Beautiful dog with an extremely heartwarming outcome.

So you are into guns and pitbulls.  No offense but.....

Of all the dogs u could have saved.

So you are into guns and pitbulls.  No offense but.....

Of all the dogs u could have saved.
No offense taken. I have never owned a Pit. As an adult I have owned a Cocker Spaniel, an Irish Setter, a Yellow Lab, a Lab/Rottie, a Boxer, and Sausage. And sorry my friend, but I could not have saved a better animal. 

So many breeds of dogs to own.  Getting a pit is a statement about yourself and a message to your neighbors that u dont give an eff.

Stats dont even matter.  Know your audience at the least. 

No offense taken. I have never owned a Pit. As an adult I have owned a Cocker Spaniel, an Irish Setter, a Yellow Lab, a Lab/Rottie, a Boxer, and Sausage. And sorry my friend, but I could not have saved a better animal. 
Glad u r good.  Could have saved a different dog an not caused your neighbors anxiety.

I'd rather not say.

(Okay, okay, I've always had small dogs.  Our current dog, Zoe, is a shih-tzu poodle mix.  Looks like this.)
Fwiw, Sausage is my last big dog. I'm 57 and may not own another dog at all. It's a freedom thing more than anything else, but if I get weak and rescue another, it's going to be a little guy. Maybe midsize like a Heeler but no more giant poops.

Glad u r good.  Could have saved a different dog an not caused your neighbors anxiety.
My first thought was assumption makes.... my neighbors love my dog. My best neighbor for 15 years moved away last year and wanted to take her with him. Two little kids come over just to play with all the time. Really, chill your assumptive erroneous nonsense. No offense.

Hey neighbor I just rescued an abused pitbull.  Dont worry she is precious and I have good fencing.

How neighborly.

I get a very big kick out of about half of new pit bull owners on facebook. 

Year 1- so many photos and posts about the dog. How gentle, will kiss you to death, etc. Might comment on stories where a pit mauled somebody and blame the owners.

Year 2- Definitely no public pit advocacy. Dog might show up in an occasional photo. 

Year 3- dog seems to have vanished. Year 1 photos have been purged. No explanations given. 

I get a very big kick out of about half of new pit bull owners on facebook. 

Year 1- so many photos and posts about the dog. How gentle, will kiss you to death, etc. Might comment on stories where a pit mauled somebody and blame the owners.

Year 2- Definitely no public pit advocacy. Dog might show up in an occasional photo. 

Year 3- dog seems to have vanished. Year 1 photos have been purged. No explanations given. 
You follow something you hate for three years without asking what happened to their dog.  Congrats on admitting you are really creepy.

You follow something you hate for three years without asking what happened to their dog.  Congrats on admitting you are really creepy.
He's probably assuming that what happened to their dog was the same thing that happens to many dogs of the same breed. Best not to bring up terrible, traumatic experiences.

He's probably assuming that what happened to their dog was the same thing that happens to many dogs of the same breed. Best not to bring up terrible, traumatic experiences.
I think if their dog murdered somebody like so many other vicious pit bulls, I would have probably heard about it.

What happens 95% of the time is that these liberal pit truthers realized how terrible of a dog to own they are or had kids and realized they didn't want to have some crazed psycho animal that looks at their baby like a plate of chicken wings so they gave it up to a shelter.  

I don't live my life as a creepy online stalker so probably not.  
Weird to go to such a strong denial. Most people would be like yeah, sorry, I am not on facebook and dont understand how it works.

You went right to "I don't live my life as a creepy online stalker"... And you are a pit bull truther.... 

I don't want to steal Otis' venn schtick, so I will just leave those statements stand alone.

This debate has basically become the debate about whether global warming is actually a thing. Which is basically the debate about whether the world is flat. Basically we are just wasting our time in here at this point. 

Weird to go to such a strong denial. Most people would be like yeah, sorry, I am not on facebook and dont understand how it works.

You went right to "I don't live my life as a creepy online stalker"... And you are a pit bull truther.... 

I don't want to steal Otis' venn schtick, so I will just leave those statements stand alone.
I definitely see why a guy with 200k posts called  one person out on here and that person was you.  

This debate has basically become the debate about whether global warming is actually a thing. Which is basically the debate about whether the world is flat. Basically we are just wasting our time in here at this point. 
Wow, nine years later you've finally decided you are wasting your time.  Maybe you should have spent that time doing something more important.

One of the news stations in FL had a thing over the weekend that they called "clear the shelter".  The premise was that they wanted people to come out to the local shelter and adopt (dogs, cats, and other animals).  The shelter would then waive all adoption fees.

Although on the surface this sounds like a good idea, but is it really though?  You have people adopting these animals that could be unprepared, uneducated, and just aren't familiar with the breed/type/personality of the animal they are adopting.  

I'm all for people adopting from shelters but I think they need to take the time and be ready for the animal they are adopting. 

Users who are viewing this thread