What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yet another Pitt Bull attack (1 Viewer)

Can anyone give a good reason why these animals still exist? Destroy the menaces.
I can give you many reasons they should not be destroyed. In fact I gave many reasons they should not be destroyed. I understand some people have their minds made up to such a degree they will not be swayed by any data. If you are one of those then I wish you the best of luck. If you keep an open mind you may be as surprised as I was in my research.
I don't come to the FFA often. Go ahead and link me. I seriously doubt your data will help your pro-murderdog cause, but let's see it.
what do you think would happen if they did as you suggest and destroyed every pitbull?
Deaths by pitbull would decrease.
do you think there would be an increase in deaths by another breed? if so, should we then destroy that breed?
:mellow:
My momma always said carts should stay behind horses.

I think it is a combination of poor owners and the sloppy breeding that is responsible. Dog fighters cull dogs that show any aggression towards people/handlers due to the strength and tenacious nature of a pitbull on attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-newsroom-2009-dogsbite-three-year-fatality-study.php

Seattle, Washington (April 22, 2009) -- DogsBite.org, a national dog bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks, releases its first multi-year report on U.S. dog bite fatalities. The report covers a 3-year period -- from January 1, 2006 to December 31, 2008 -- and analyzes data gathered from 88 dog bite incidences that caused death to a U.S. citizen.

The report documents dog breed information, property information (where the attack occurred) as well as dog bite victim age information.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%, than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%. In the 21-54 age group, pit bulls were responsible for 82% (14) of the deaths. The data indicates that pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens; they kill men and women in their prime years as well.

The report also shows that of the six victim age groups documented, the 55 and older group suffered the most fatalities 26% (23), followed by the 2-4 age group 22% (19). Between the ages of 0-4, the study reveals that 14% (12) of the fatal attacks involved a "watcher," a person such as a grandparent or babysitter watching the child. Of these attacks, 75% (9) involved a grandparent type.

The founder of DogsBite.org, Colleen Lynn, adds, "The off-property statistical data about pit bulls shows just how dangerous they are." She noted that six senior citizens were killed under these circumstances: "Two were killed while standing in their own backyard," she said. "Four others were killed while taking a morning walk or getting the mail."
I'm sure there's some bias here, too, but more than half?
re-read what you bolded and see if you can find any word in there that might skew the statistics in any way
I hear you. I do find it odd that there isn't a published report on-line that DOESN'T come from a biased source. It seems this would be a little easier to address if such a list existed (maybe it does, but I didn't find it).Of course, the answer comes back that it's the owners and the list means nothing. I find that response irrational.

Can anyone give a good reason why these animals still exist? Destroy the menaces.
I can give you many reasons they should not be destroyed. In fact I gave many reasons they should not be destroyed. I understand some people have their minds made up to such a degree they will not be swayed by any data. If you are one of those then I wish you the best of luck. If you keep an open mind you may be as surprised as I was in my research.
I don't come to the FFA often. Go ahead and link me. I seriously doubt your data will help your pro-murderdog cause, but let's see it.
what do you think would happen if they did as you suggest and destroyed every pitbull?
do you think there would be an increase in deaths by another breed? if so, should we then destroy that breed?
I'll take that as 'I don't know'. in which case you might want to read up Breed Specific Legislation and its effectiveness before offering up your solution to destroy all pitbulls.

That would be cool. Please don't link bontbullymymurderdog.org or some other site like that. I'd be happy to read any studies from primary sources though.
Your continued use of "murderdog" makes me think I'm dealing with another BigSteelThrill. But I'll hope that's just some trollshtick and ignore it for now.According to this site, The Alabama Supreme Court has even ruled there is no genetic evidence pit bulls are any more aggressive than any other dog simply because of the breed.

According to the American Temperament Testing Association (an organization that tests dogs), pit bulls have an above average temperament. They pass at an 86%. Golden Retrievers have an 84.9%. The average passing mark for all dog breeds is a shade over 85%.

Let's look at this yet another way - from 1979 to about 1999, we averaged approximately 1 death a month from domestic dogs (this is across the US per the Humane Society link..) It is estimated more than 41 million households in the US own at least one dog. And the breeds commonly associated as a pit bull are in the top 100 most popular - according to the American Kennel Club.

I still don't know what you want studies to show.
You just did exactly what I told you not to do.
It's obviously a biased site but that in no way means they can't post actual information. Were they simply rambling on about how great pit bulls are I'd agree it's fair to dismiss it. They didn't do that. They mentioned an actual ruling by the Alabama Supreme Court. Pit Bulls are not genetically dangerous. You're free to completely dismiss that if it doesn't fit with your preconceived notions.
Just trying to be objective here. You got any primary sources? Or just sticking with the pitbull website? Is that all you have? If so, please stop talking about data and information, because you have none.
I realize you're known for your bad shtick and I don't care to find out whose alias you are...but I'm curious - what is your goal here? The anti pit bull crowd keeps saying how dangerous this breed is and we need to ban them. Yet what we keep seeing as "proof" is an article whenever an attack happens. I, and most other pit bull defenders, have said pit bulls (and other large breeds) can be rather dangerous in the wrong hands. I am open to training/licenses being required for large breed dogs.http://legislation2002.tripod.com/washingtonanimalfoundationinc/id8.html You think the judges didn't make a fair ruling? You think they flipped a coin to determine their outcome?

Here's a link to the American Temperament Test Society. http://atts.org/?s=pit+bull They have also determined pit bulls have an above average temperament.

Link to another pit bull FFA thread.Scan through that thread if you'd like. It's 7 pages long but it shows A) breed bans are ineffective, B) pit bulls have an above average temperament, C) there are actually very few pit bull fatalities, and D) the Alabama Supreme Court even ruling there is no evidence pit bulls are an aggressive breed.

Many of these reported pit bull fatalities aren't actually pit bulls (rather they are often labeled as pit bull type/like (which can include several breeds).

Can pit bulls be dangerous? Absolutely. So can any large breed dog. It is sad to see many idiots ruin a fine breed and cause it to scare average folk into thinking a stereotype is a reality. Dogs are wonderful pets but they are still animals. They require training, exercise, and discipline. You do that and you're going to have a wonderful pet, no matter the breed.
I don't disagree with this, as they are awesome dogs in the right hands. Do "pitbulls" require more experience and dedication than other breeds? I know Border Collies require exercise/activity or they will become destructive and "nip". Why would a pitbull not require a certain situation?

Now think about the average dog owner. Should a test and permit be required for pitbull ownership?
Pitbull ownership? No. Depending on the details I could go along with a testing/training/permits to be required for dogs over a certain weight (which would include pitbulls).
Do you think owning an APBT requires a different skillset than owning a Golden Retriever?
No...not if you get one as a puppy.

I found this little nugget while doing some reading on BSL in this link

Even as the debates on BSLs heat up, dog attacks continue to make news with alarming regularity. In Grant County, Indiana, a story originally surfaced about a rottweiler type dog and a potential pit bull entering the home of an 88 year old woman on oxygen and attacking her. After two days of frantic reports of stray dog sightings and the canceling of recess at a local elementary school, the real culprits were found to be the dachshund and Labrador owned by the woman’s daughter. Because of breed misconceptions and stereotypes, some pets are considered to be less dangerous than others simply due to their breed makeup.

:lol:

Link to another pit bull FFA thread.Scan through that thread if you'd like. It's 7 pages long but it shows A) breed bans are ineffective, B) pit bulls have an above average temperament, C) there are actually very few pit bull fatalities, and D) the Alabama Supreme Court even ruling there is no evidence pit bulls are an aggressive breed.

Many of these reported pit bull fatalities aren't actually pit bulls (rather they are often labeled as pit bull type/like (which can include several breeds).

Can pit bulls be dangerous? Absolutely. So can any large breed dog. It is sad to see many idiots ruin a fine breed and cause it to scare average folk into thinking a stereotype is a reality. Dogs are wonderful pets but they are still animals. They require training, exercise, and discipline. You do that and you're going to have a wonderful pet, no matter the breed.
I don't disagree with this, as they are awesome dogs in the right hands. Do "pitbulls" require more experience and dedication than other breeds? I know Border Collies require exercise/activity or they will become destructive and "nip". Why would a pitbull not require a certain situation?

Now think about the average dog owner. Should a test and permit be required for pitbull ownership?
Pitbull ownership? No. Depending on the details I could go along with a testing/training/permits to be required for dogs over a certain weight (which would include pitbulls).
Do you think owning an APBT requires a different skillset than owning a Golden Retriever?
Yes (though I believe those differences are less than you would imagine).

Of course, the answer comes back that it's the owners and the list means nothing. I find that response irrational.
What is irrational about it? You'll find most of the pro-pitt crowd have said if pit bulls were banned another large breed would replace them.Dogs are animals. Animals require certain levels of training. With poor training comes a potentially dangerous dog. A potentially dangerous dog weighing 5 pounds isn't the same as a potentially dangerous dog weighing 70+ pounds. There are many, many breeds other than pit bulls that could do serious damage to a person in an attack.

Of course, the answer comes back that it's the owners and the list means nothing. I find that response irrational.
What is irrational about it? You'll find most of the pro-pitt crowd have said if pit bulls were banned another large breed would replace them.Dogs are animals. Animals require certain levels of training. With poor training comes a potentially dangerous dog. A potentially dangerous dog weighing 5 pounds isn't the same as a potentially dangerous dog weighing 70+ pounds. There are many, many breeds other than pit bulls that could do serious damage to a person in an attack.
I find it irrational because we keep assuming that fixing dog ownership is somehow easier. It's not. People are idiots, but unfortunately for us, we can't ban people. All we can do is mitigate the damage that can be done in their idiotic hands.I'm not so sure about the large breed replacement thing. If you consider the Doberman and it's popularity in the 70s, consider this - how many Dobermans are out there these days? Not many. Why? Because people got scared of them and they were socially outcast would be my guess. Guess what we no longer have? A Doberman problem. Yet the breed persists. The same should happen to Pit Bulls. It's neither breed's fault, just circumstance.

I'll take that as 'I don't know'. in which case you might want to read up Breed Specific Legislation and its effectiveness before offering up your solution to destroy all pitbulls.
No, I think I'm doing pretty well as is. Do you know off hand how the pitbull bite numbers are in Dade Co?

That would be cool. Please don't link bontbullymymurderdog.org or some other site like that. I'd be happy to read any studies from primary sources though.
Your continued use of "murderdog" makes me think I'm dealing with another BigSteelThrill. But I'll hope that's just some trollshtick and ignore it for now.According to this site, The Alabama Supreme Court has even ruled there is no genetic evidence pit bulls are any more aggressive than any other dog simply because of the breed.

According to the American Temperament Testing Association (an organization that tests dogs), pit bulls have an above average temperament. They pass at an 86%. Golden Retrievers have an 84.9%. The average passing mark for all dog breeds is a shade over 85%.

Let's look at this yet another way - from 1979 to about 1999, we averaged approximately 1 death a month from domestic dogs (this is across the US per the Humane Society link..) It is estimated more than 41 million households in the US own at least one dog. And the breeds commonly associated as a pit bull are in the top 100 most popular - according to the American Kennel Club.

It's obviously a biased site but that in no way means they can't post actual information. Were they simply rambling on about how great pit bulls are I'd agree it's fair to dismiss it. They didn't do that. They mentioned an actual ruling by the Alabama Supreme Court. Pit Bulls are not genetically dangerous. You're free to completely dismiss that if it doesn't fit with your preconceived notions.
Just trying to be objective here. You got any primary sources? Or just sticking with the pitbull website? Is that all you have? If so, please stop talking about data and information, because you have none.
I realize you're known for your bad shtick and I don't care to find out whose alias you are...but I'm curious - what is your goal here? The anti pit bull crowd keeps saying how dangerous this breed is and we need to ban them. Yet what we keep seeing as "proof" is an article whenever an attack happens. I, and most other pit bull defenders, have said pit bulls (and other large breeds) can be rather dangerous in the wrong hands. I am open to training/licenses being required for large breed dogs.http://legislation2002.tripod.com/washingtonanimalfoundationinc/id8.html You think the judges didn't make a fair ruling? You think they flipped a coin to determine their outcome?

Here's a link to the American Temperament Test Society. http://atts.org/?s=pit+bull They have also determined pit bulls have an above average temperament.
What is my goal here? I made a statement. Do you remember it? You wanted to teach me something, and you did. You taught me that you don't know WTF an unbiased source is. You also taught me you have NFI how to find a primary source, or a court document. Lastly you taught me that you think reposting www.donthurtmykillerdogssotheycancomebackandkillyou.org is a good idea. I didn't start a conversation with you. You started it with me. You failed to live up to your own expectations, but I'm not surprised.

What is my goal here? I made a statement. Do you remember it? You wanted to teach me something, and you did. You taught me that you don't know WTF an unbiased source is. You also taught me you have NFI how to find a primary source, or a court document. Lastly you taught me that you think reposting www.donthurtmykillerdogssotheycancomebackandkillyou.org is a good idea. I didn't start a conversation with you. You started it with me. You failed to live up to your own expectations, but I'm not surprised.
Please continue with your trolling shtick. I won't interrupt it any further. :thumbup:

Please continue with your trolling shtick. I won't interrupt it any further. :thumbup:
Dude, you are flimsy. Real flimsy.

Twenty-month old Fairfield toddler killed in pit bull attack

Published: Wednesday, October 05, 2011

WEST HAVEN — Family members are mourning the death of the toddler who died in Friday night’s pit bull attack.

The victim was a twenty-month old girl from Fairfield. According to the medical examiner, Neveah Bryant was visiting at her aunts West Haven home when the aunt’s three pit bulls attacked her. Bryant suffered life ending injuries and died at Yale-New Haven Hospital.

All dogs are NOT the same...

Deerfield Beach girl attacked by her pit bull doing 'very well' in recovery

By Juan Ortega and Larry Barszewski, Sun Sentinel

12:54 p.m. EDT, October 6, 2011

DEERFIELD BEACH—

A 13-year-old girl attacked by her pit bull this week is doing well at the hospital, despite suffering injuries that require reconstructive surgery, family and neighbors said Thursday.

After the Monday night attack at her Deerfield Beach home, Tayla Johnson was taken to North Broward Medical Center. She since has been relocated to Broward General Medical Center, where her family members are maintaining a vigil.

Johnson's family on Wednesday indicated she had undergone surgery and "was coming along" in her recovery, according to LaJayron Negrin, a neighbor who helped free the girl from the dog.

Johnson's grandmother, reached by phone on Thursday morning, similarly said Johnson was doing "very well." On shift at her workplace, she declined to speak further.

The dog attack occurred in the 1200 block of Southwest 10th Terrace.

Johnson told deputies she was trying to put her black-and-white pit bull "MJ" in the bathroom when it began "acting strange," jumping around and biting her arms and face. Johnson, who was home alone, said she was unable to get the dog off her, according to a Broward sheriff's report.

Two neighbors futilely beat the dog with bats. And the dog only released Johnson after Negrin showed up and shot it multiple times. No bullets struck Johnson.

Mutt Saves 3-Year-Old From Pit Bull Attack

Published October 06, 2011 | Associated Press

advertisement

A friendly, floppy-eared mutt named Fluffy may have earned himself a new nickname in his Brazilian hometown: Ferocious-When-Necessary.

Kenya Suelen Rodrigues of the city of Campo Grande is quoted by the G1 news website as saying the normally playful and friendly dog immediately attacked a pit bull that barged into her home Wednesday and headed for her 3-year-old girl.

Rodrigues says the pit pull sank his teeth into Fluffy's black-and-white back and dragged out into the street, where the two continued fighting.

Rodrigues says she and neighbors threw rocks and pieces of wood trying to break up the canines, but nothing worked -- until a car came along and slammed into the pit bull.

The pit bull's owner took both dogs to the vet. Both survived.
Read more: LINKOMG they are doing home invasions now! :P

http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-newsroom-2009-dogsbite-three-year-fatality-study.php

Seattle, Washington (April 22, 2009) -- DogsBite.org, a national dog bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks, releases its first multi-year report on U.S. dog bite fatalities. The report covers a 3-year period -- from January 1, 2006 to December 31, 2008 -- and analyzes data gathered from 88 dog bite incidences that caused death to a U.S. citizen.

The report documents dog breed information, property information (where the attack occurred) as well as dog bite victim age information.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%, than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%. In the 21-54 age group, pit bulls were responsible for 82% (14) of the deaths. The data indicates that pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens; they kill men and women in their prime years as well.

The report also shows that of the six victim age groups documented, the 55 and older group suffered the most fatalities 26% (23), followed by the 2-4 age group 22% (19). Between the ages of 0-4, the study reveals that 14% (12) of the fatal attacks involved a "watcher," a person such as a grandparent or babysitter watching the child. Of these attacks, 75% (9) involved a grandparent type.

The founder of DogsBite.org, Colleen Lynn, adds, "The off-property statistical data about pit bulls shows just how dangerous they are." She noted that six senior citizens were killed under these circumstances: "Two were killed while standing in their own backyard," she said. "Four others were killed while taking a morning walk or getting the mail."
I'm sure there's some bias here, too, but more than half?
re-read what you bolded and see if you can find any word in there that might skew the statistics in any way
fatal?

you know nobody's getting mauled to death by a chihuahua...

Mutt Saves 3-Year-Old From Pit Bull Attack

Published October 06, 2011 | Associated Press

advertisement

A friendly, floppy-eared mutt named Fluffy may have earned himself a new nickname in his Brazilian hometown: Ferocious-When-Necessary.

Kenya Suelen Rodrigues of the city of Campo Grande is quoted by the G1 news website as saying the normally playful and friendly dog immediately attacked a pit bull that barged into her home Wednesday and headed for her 3-year-old girl.

Rodrigues says the pit pull sank his teeth into Fluffy's black-and-white back and dragged out into the street, where the two continued fighting.

Rodrigues says she and neighbors threw rocks and pieces of wood trying to break up the canines, but nothing worked -- until a car came along and slammed into the pit bull.

The pit bull's owner took both dogs to the vet. Both survived.
Read more: LINKOMG they are doing home invasions now! :P
So even pit bulls that get attacked are getting blamed for ####.

Pitbulla attack and kill a horse

Pit bulls escape, kill horse

By Alexis Stevens

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

6:13 p.m. Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Two pit bulldogs remained in quarantine Monday, a week after escaping from their home and attacking and killing a horse in a Forsyth County pasture.

The two dogs were still attached to the horse, including one clinging to the horse's mouth, when deputies arrived at the bloody scene, according to Lt. David Waters with the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office. The horse had numerous puncture wounds from the attack and later died, Waters said.

"I've never seen anything like this," Waters told Channel 2 Action News.

The dogs' owner, Melissa Andrews, faces two misdemeanor charges for failing to contain the dogs and was also cited for failing to have one of the animals vaccinated, Waters said. Andrews has a court date set for next month.

But Andrews may not be able to get the dogs back unless she purchases a $50,000 surety bond for each animal, due to a dangerous dog ordinance recently passed in the county.

The horse's owner declined to discuss the incident.

By Alexis Stevens

Two pit bulldogs remained in quarantine Monday, a week after escaping from their home and attacking and killing a horse in a Forsyth County pasture.

The two dogs were still attached to the horse, including one clinging to the horse's mouth, when deputies arrived at the bloody scene, according to Lt. David Waters with the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office. The horse had numerous puncture wounds from the attack and later died, Waters said.

The dogs' owner, Melissa Andrews, faces two misdemeanor charges for failing to contain the dogs and was also cited for failing to have one of the animals vaccinated, Waters said. Andrews has a court date set for next month.

But Andrews may not be able to get the dogs back unless she purchases a $50,000 surety bond for each animal, due to a dangerous dog ordinance recently passed in the county.

Stupid owners. :rant:

By Alexis Stevens

All dogs are not the same.

Thinking of buying a pitbull puppy to enhance my coolness. Is my 2 year old safe? I want to be awesome, but I dont want her to die.

By Alexis Stevens

Link?

By Alexis Stevens

Link?
Here you go:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chihuahua_%28dog%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Dane

Do you see how the one dog is smaller than the other?

By Alexis Stevens

Link?

:lmao:

Thinking of buying a pitbull puppy to enhance my coolness. Is my 2 year old safe? I want to be awesome, but I dont want her to die.
How much time and energy do you have to put into the dog? Pitbulls requite lots of exercise and need alot of attention. There are quite a few websites out there that can help show you what type of breed would fit best into your family.If you are seriously thinking of getting a dog try your local Humane Society first. Lots of good dogs that need a home.

By Alexis Stevens

Link?

So what's your nickname? I'm guessing it's Swift.

By Alexis Stevens

Link?

:lmao:
'sup Swifter?

This one is pretty interesting from a couple weeks ago:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57332978/runner-undergoes-surgery-after-pit-bulls-attack/

Man was attacked by 4 pitbulls in the san diego area.

I was in san diego 2 weeks ago and my videographer was attacked by 2 pitbulls while walking the hotel property. He luckily was able to shake the one off his foot (it had latched onto the tip of the shoe) and leap over the fence into an enclosed pool area to get away. The dogs ran away after a few people started yelling at them from hotel balconies nearby.

Man killed by own pitbull bite to his neck:http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/north_central/white-county-man-killed-by-pet-dogWell that's it for the last week of pitbull attacks... I suppose we can just update this thread with the weekly attacks :lmao:
Do you own a dog?

This one is pretty interesting from a couple weeks ago:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57332978/runner-undergoes-surgery-after-pit-bulls-attack/

Man was attacked by 4 pitbulls in the san diego area.

I was in san diego 2 weeks ago and my videographer was attacked by 2 pitbulls while walking the hotel property. He luckily was able to shake the one off his foot (it had latched onto the tip of the shoe) and leap over the fence into an enclosed pool area to get away. The dogs ran away after a few people started yelling at them from hotel balconies nearby.
Couldn't have been pits. They don't back down from nobody. :boxing:

He means the big one not the little one.
Still pretty sure there are no pit bulls in that video.
if that dog bit someone's head off, I'd bet the newspaper article would call it a pitbull....
Which is the crux of the problem. Most people wouldn't know a pit bull if it bit them on the ###.

Users who are viewing this thread