What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your favorite Podcast (1 Viewer)

Harris will make you smarter. Listen/read/watch all of him you can imo. He's made me rethink a lot about immigration in particular. His interview with Ayaan Hirsi Ali was like an atomic bomb for me and I still think about it months later.

Harris will make you smarter. Listen/read/watch all of him you can imo. He's made me rethink a lot about immigration in particular. His interview with Ayaan Hirsi Ali was like an atomic bomb for me and I still think about it months later.
Agree. 

His interview with Jordan Peterson was a bit much though as he kept hammering him about what 'truth' is.  It was an awkward exchange.  I will definitely listen to the one you suggested ASAP. 

Agree. 

His interview with Jordan Peterson was a bit much though as he kept hammering him about what 'truth' is.  It was an awkward exchange.  I will definitely listen to the one you suggested ASAP. 
Yeah that one was unlistenable. Maybe they could have a useful debate if they could get past that weird basic thing they kept getting hung up on. Something about truth not being truth if it gets you killed? Thankfully that's the only episode I've heard so far that went off the rails.

Yeah that one was unlistenable. Maybe they could have a useful debate if they could get past that weird basic thing they kept getting hung up on. Something about truth not being truth if it gets you killed? Thankfully that's the only episode I've heard so far that went off the rails.
They just did another one.  Haven't heard it yet; looking forward to it.

Anybody listening to Missing Richard Simmons?
Ended up deciding to download it and listened to the first couple of episodes this morning.  It is pretty good, and I can see the reason for the Serial comparisons.  It is by a former Daily Show producer who was a friend of Richard Simmons.  I think the friendship is what makes it work because the narrator is not just exploiting him or making fun of him and his seclusion/disappearance; you can tell that he is genuinely concerned.  But there's still a decent amount of humor to the podcast as well.

Ended up deciding to download it and listened to the first couple of episodes this morning.  It is pretty good, and I can see the reason for the Serial comparisons.  It is by a former Daily Show producer who was a friend of Richard Simmons.  I think the friendship is what makes it work because the narrator is not just exploiting him or making fun of him and his seclusion/disappearance; you can tell that he is genuinely concerned.  But there's still a decent amount of humor to the podcast as well.
I'm not understanding. Is Richard Simmons missing or is this a satire?

I'm not understanding. Is Richard Simmons missing or is this a satire?
The title works two ways.  The title is more about people (including the narrator) missing Richard Simmons.  He has been hiding out of the public eye (and the eyes of his friends and colleagues at his former gym studio) for about three years now.  You can read some background here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listened to this one twice.  So good. 

It wasn't the best episode, but I found it hilarious at times.  Harris' ability to come up with those hypotheticals to challenge Peterson's silliness is just proof of how brilliant he is.  You could tell Sam was exasperated in the end but his politeness and refusal to engage in ad hominems never waned.  

Just got done with another good one from Harris.  Not quite as good as the one with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, but there was a lot of good stuff to think about in #55 with Shadi Hamid.  Some good stuff about Islam vs. Christianity that I hadn't considered before (not knowing a ton about religions).  

It wasn't the best episode, but I found it hilarious at times.  Harris' ability to come up with those hypotheticals to challenge Peterson's silliness is just proof of how brilliant he is.  You could tell Sam was exasperated in the end but his politeness and refusal to engage in ad hominems never waned.  
I loved when Peterson went silent for about 20 seconds. So weird and awkward, I thought maybe he was crying.

I haven't gone back and looked to see if it's mentioned, but embedded had the first episode of season 2 load up yesterday. It's NPR and they basically go deep on various stories.  Season 1 was actually pretty amazing start to finish and something new every week. I believe season two is taking looks at society's relationship with police from different angles. 

McGarnicle said:
tommyGunZ said:
I loved when Peterson went silent for about 20 seconds. So weird and awkward, I thought maybe he was crying.
That episode was unlistenable. It's like a verbal dik swinging contest for asexual philosophers.

If the sky is blue to you, then it is blue for you. But if I see the sky as green, it is green for me. Neither is right and neither is wrong. Move the #### on already!

Has Trumpcast been mentioned? It's done by Slate so obviously very partisan, but they consistently have good guests. 

I have to say the new one, Missing Richard Simmons, has me hooked.
I've only been mildly aware of his situation, but based on the suggestions of this thread I downloaded the first 5 episodes. Very fascinating. During the course of the first five podcasts you get to meet a lot of regular people that Richard Simmons helped lose 100s of pounds. People that were total strangers to him but he would call these people regularly to help keep them motivated and positive, even years or decades after first talking to him. The podcast makes it seem like there were 10s if not 100s of these type of stories. These little anecdotes are interesting in their own right, and when you add in Simmons' "disappearance" it makes for a really good listen.

I've only been mildly aware of his situation, but based on the suggestions of this thread I downloaded the first 5 episodes. Very fascinating. During the course of the first five podcasts you get to meet a lot of regular people that Richard Simmons helped lose 100s of pounds. People that were total strangers to him but he would call these people regularly to help keep them motivated and positive, even years or decades after first talking to him. The podcast makes it seem like there were 10s if not 100s of these type of stories. These little anecdotes are interesting in their own right, and when you add in Simmons' "disappearance" it makes for a really good listen.
When I wrote this I was halfway through the 5th episode. The whole series takes kind of a strange turn from there. The second half of the 5th episode makes the guy doing the podcast seem like a National Enquirer writer using his "friendship" with Simmons to take advantage of the listeners then he does an about-face in the last episode.

The first 4.5 episodes reminded me of Serial as he is uncovering stuff and just how interested I was at the time. The last 1.5 episodes were very disappointing. Still worth a listen, but more of a 6/10 overall when I thought it was a 9.5/10 yesterday morning.

Kev4029 said:
When I wrote this I was halfway through the 5th episode. The whole series takes kind of a strange turn from there. The second half of the 5th episode makes the guy doing the podcast seem like a National Enquirer writer using his "friendship" with Simmons to take advantage of the listeners then he does an about-face in the last episode.

The first 4.5 episodes reminded me of Serial as he is uncovering stuff and just how interested I was at the time. The last 1.5 episodes were very disappointing. Still worth a listen, but more of a 6/10 overall when I thought it was a 9.5/10 yesterday morning.
Yeah, I'm with you.  I had posted after the first two episodes that I did not feel like it was exploitative, as it had more the approach of a friend concerned for him and his safety, with a lot of focus on the people whose lives Simmons positively affected.  But my opinion changed as it went on.  He seemed to make unwelcome intrusions into privacy a bit more, and I felt kind of sick in the last episode when

the cops show up at Simmons' house to talk to him and his housekeeper.
I also thought the narrator gave off more of a "what about me" need for closure by the end, which was kind of weird to me.

Yeah, I'm with you.  I had posted after the first two episodes that I did not feel like it was exploitative, as it had more the approach of a friend concerned for him and his safety, with a lot of focus on the people whose lives Simmons positively affected.  But my opinion changed as it went on.  He seemed to make unwelcome intrusions into privacy a bit more, and I felt kind of sick in the last episode when

the cops show up at Simmons' house to talk to him and his housekeeper.
I also thought the narrator gave off more of a "what about me" need for closure by the end, which was kind of weird to me.
Totally agree with everything you said. Kind of a bummer.

Regarding the cops showing up, that happened earlier this month. That wasn't something that happened in between the 5th and 6th podcasts. Makes the podcast guy feel even that much more dirty.

S-Town, the new podcast from the producers of Serial and This American Life was released.  I started listening to the first episode this morning.  This John guy is quite the character.
I'm about halfway through. When he starts comparing himself to "Hassan from fallujah" I started cracking up. I get his point, but it made me chuckle. 

S-Town, the new podcast from the producers of Serial and This American Life was released.  I started listening to the first episode this morning.  This John guy is quite the character.
They released them all at once... in episode 2 now and it's already throwing twists and turns at me. 

If you are into craft beer, check out Steal This Beer. Hosted by a brewer, Augie Carton of Carton Brewing in NJ, and John Holl, editor of All About Beer magazine. 

So on STown...

I've binged am I nearly to the finish line.  I like it, it's interesting, and it tells a decent story. All that said, I feel a bit misled by how it was presented and even by how the first episode or two are told. I won't spoil things, but after the second episode it is a completely different story being told for better or for worse. 

Is it a true story or a serial fiction? What's the premise?
True story. Backwoods Alabama.

Its sold as this guy thinks a murder was covered up, and the first episode or two is about a murder possibly being covered up.  The rest honestly is more or less about the guy that called originally and the people around him. That's as best as I can give without spoilers. 

Finished it up. It's fine, not great. 

I defintely feel like it was sold as something that it is not.  Proceed with somewhat lowered expectations. 

bigmarc27 said:
So on STown...

I've binged am I nearly to the finish line.  I like it, it's interesting, and it tells a decent story. All that said, I feel a bit misled by how it was presented and even by how the first episode or two are told. I won't spoil things, but after the second episode it is a completely different story being told for better or for worse. 
I finished Ep 2 this morning, and the end threw me quite a bit. Wow.

I finished Ep 2 this morning, and the end threw me quite a bit. Wow.
I binged the entire thing at work yesterday, definitely not what I expected, but found it fascinating and riveting...I'm not sure I can even explain why.

Also, the uncle with a bullet stuck in his head is the MVP of unintentional comedy....YUUUPPPPPPPP! 

I just subscribed to the members podcasts of The History of WWII by Ray Harris Jr.

Unfortunately, they're just downloadable .mp3 files.  I can't seem to get them into Downcast easily, but was able to add them to iTunes, designate them as podcasts, and add the Apple Podcasts app to my phone.

Man, the stock app sucks.  Pressing forward or back on my bluetooth headphones moves between episodes, and I don't see any place to change that.  In contrast, Downcast lets you designate what those buttons do, and I have it set to 30s forward and 15s back.  The 15s back lets me catch something I missed, the 30s forward lets me skip ads.  Does the Apple Podcasts app really lack this functionality?

I posted in a music thread, but will post here too.  Came across another podcast titled Song Exploder.  Looks like it comes out about 2x/month and is short- about 20mins/episode.  Basically it's just an artist/band deconstructing one of their newer songs.  How they came up with the beat/music and lyrics.  Good stuff...

I posted in a music thread, but will post here too.  Came across another podcast titled Song Exploder.  Looks like it comes out about 2x/month and is short- about 20mins/episode.  Basically it's just an artist/band deconstructing one of their newer songs.  How they came up with the beat/music and lyrics.  Good stuff...
Eve 6 on there?

Now that I've worked almost all the way through the Doug Loves Movies podcast, I'm searching out more comedy. Think I'll give Gilbert Gottfried's podcast a try.

I binged the entire thing at work yesterday, definitely not what I expected, but found it fascinating and riveting...I'm not sure I can even explain why.

Also, the uncle with a bullet stuck in his head is the MVP of unintentional comedy....YUUUPPPPPPPP! 
:goodposting:

I just subscribed to the members podcasts of The History of WWII by Ray Harris Jr.

Unfortunately, they're just downloadable .mp3 files.  I can't seem to get them into Downcast easily, but was able to add them to iTunes, designate them as podcasts, and add the Apple Podcasts app to my phone.

Man, the stock app sucks.  Pressing forward or back on my bluetooth headphones moves between episodes, and I don't see any place to change that.  In contrast, Downcast lets you designate what those buttons do, and I have it set to 30s forward and 15s back.  The 15s back lets me catch something I missed, the 30s forward lets me skip ads.  Does the Apple Podcasts app really lack this functionality?
This is confusing to me. I download from Apple podcasts & the default app (v 2.5.2) on my iPhone has 15 seconds forward/rewind. I have a 7 plus but AFAIK that's always been the case.

This is confusing to me. I download from Apple podcasts & the default app (v 2.5.2) on my iPhone has 15 seconds forward/rewind. I have a 7 plus but AFAIK that's always been the case.
I use the native iPhone app too, which has the 15 seconds back and forth options on it.  Maybe an issue with how it links up to Tick's headphones, since he mentions pushing the button on those?  

jdoggydogg said:
Now that I've worked almost all the way through the Doug Loves Movies podcast, I'm searching out more comedy. Think I'll give Gilbert Gottfried's podcast a try.
Give The Crabfeast a try. Great storytelling based comedy show. 

Don Quixote said:
I use the native iPhone app too, which has the 15 seconds back and forth options on it.  Maybe an issue with how it links up to Tick's headphones, since he mentions pushing the button on those?  
Yes, buttons on the headphones (and car bluetooth player).  I find lots of threads complaining about it online, but no solutions.

Hmm.  Tried the first episode of S-Town and it didn't really grab me 100%.  Does it get better, or is this a good sample of what the podcast is??

Hmm.  Tried the first episode of S-Town and it didn't really grab me 100%.  Does it get better, or is this a good sample of what the podcast is??
Better will be a matter of opinion, but the entire story changes in episode 2, so I'd try episode 2, and see if you enjoy that. If so continue, if not, probably move on.

Seems like every couple years or so I will type in "best movie podcast" in google to see if I am missing something.  Seems like I hit a wall with some, especially as they get bigger and get more people talking (for some reason I don't like live podcasts and ones with more than 3 hosts - sometimes 3 is too many).  Couple that I tried last week:

Faculty of Horror - by far the one that grabbed me the most. You usually don't have women talking about horror, and here you have two women talking about the genre.  I can't remember exactly what they do, but I know they have written books and articles and have done blogs/podcasts.  They come at it from interesting angles and talk about what the movies say about us and culture, which is a reason I like the genre to begin with.  I tried a newer one first - their discussion about French extreme movies and was hooked, so I started from the beginning.  1st episode was good as they talked Black Christmas and Halloween. 

Someone Else's Movie -  only listened to a couple, but it was interesting.  Basically it's just a guy interviewing random actors and people involved in movies about a random movie of their choice that they weren't involved with - anything from Back to the Future to There Will Be Blood look like they are discussed on this one. 

Blank Check -  Jury is still out on this one, but it's an interesting premise.  They seem to do consecutive podcasts from a common director, and it's basically movies by directors who had success early on, so were given a 'blank check' to do what they wanted later on.  M.Night, Spielberg, Cameron, etc.. 

Users who are viewing this thread