What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your favorite Podcast (2 Viewers)

Seems like every couple years or so I will type in "best movie podcast" in google to see if I am missing something.  Seems like I hit a wall with some, especially as they get bigger and get more people talking (for some reason I don't like live podcasts and ones with more than 3 hosts - sometimes 3 is too many).  Couple that I tried last week:

Faculty of Horror - by far the one that grabbed me the most. You usually don't have women talking about horror, and here you have two women talking about the genre.  I can't remember exactly what they do, but I know they have written books and articles and have done blogs/podcasts.  They come at it from interesting angles and talk about what the movies say about us and culture, which is a reason I like the genre to begin with.  I tried a newer one first - their discussion about French extreme movies and was hooked, so I started from the beginning.  1st episode was good as they talked Black Christmas and Halloween. 

Someone Else's Movie -  only listened to a couple, but it was interesting.  Basically it's just a guy interviewing random actors and people involved in movies about a random movie of their choice that they weren't involved with - anything from Back to the Future to There Will Be Blood look like they are discussed on this one. 

Blank Check -  Jury is still out on this one, but it's an interesting premise.  They seem to do consecutive podcasts from a common director, and it's basically movies by directors who had success early on, so were given a 'blank check' to do what they wanted later on.  M.Night, Spielberg, Cameron, etc.. 
Will check out Faculty and Blank Check. Thanks for the update.

I've been digging The British History Podcast, sort of; and by that, I mean I've listened to each of the first eight episodes about eight times each, because it's also my go to sleep podcast too. Nonetheless, the guy is a great storyteller. Thus far, there are upwards of 240 episodes, most about 30 minutes long - and he has not even gotten to the 10th century, yet.

I think I may start listening to On The Media regularly.  A series they did called Busted: America's Poverty Myths was featured on Radiolab and it was fascinating.  The Radiolab piece does not do it justice as it is only the one hour podcast while  Busted is a five part series (maybe 3-4 hours total).  It is truly one of the most interesting series I have listened to and definitely changed my perception about poverty in America. I cannot recommend it strongly enough.

I tried to listen to The Joe Rogan Experience based on a thread conversation relating to Alex Jones but I found it completely disheartening.  Jones is a nutjob, which most of us know, but Joe Rogan, who I actually like from his UFC and comedy gigs, actually seems to buy into Jones insanity. He certainly does nothing to challenge Jones' bizarre assertions and even seems to accept them as fact.  

FTR I feel it is a kindness to call Jones insane because if he isn't then he is quite simply evil.

Either way it will be difficult for me to give the Rogan podcast another shot. Maybe I will listen to an episode completely devoid of political discussion to see how he is in that setting OR if he has another insane political pundit on so I can use it as a resource for what the crazy people are spouting off.

Listened to a bit of The Young Turks based on a recommendation from @NCCommish (I think) and I found it interesting because they do seem to be very in tune with the political happenings of the day. A lot of it seemed poignant and reasonable but there is also a lot of left leaning Fauxtrage that I think hurts any of their reasonable positions. They are obviously partisan so I think it would be little more than a resource to see what the partisan left is currently offended/worried about.

ETA: Just like my Rogan my experience with TYT is very limited so I am really only making observations based upon limited information. There are just so many things vying for my time that it is difficult to commit to investing so many hours to get a full understanding of any individual podcast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lasted about five minutes into Alex Jones. Try the one with Sam and Dan Harris. I'm betting you'll like it much more.
I might do that. It is just difficult though because Rogan did nothing to challenge any of the crazy Jones was spouting off.  Would you say that Rogan's shtick in that situation was to give Jones the rope and let him hang himself?  Because that would be great but it really felt that Rogan was just on board with what Jones was saying.

Just started season 1 of Serial, I know I am late to the party on that one because it was the sensation of 2014 but the producers of Serial just released a new project called S-Town, which is already garnering tons of critical acclaim and is next on my list after season 1 of Serial. 

I might do that. It is just difficult though because Rogan did nothing to challenge any of the crazy Jones was spouting off.  Would you say that Rogan's shtick in that situation was to give Jones the rope and let him hang himself?  Because that would be great but it really felt that Rogan was just on board with what Jones was saying.
If you listen to other podcasts after that, Rogan jokes about how nutty Jones is.  I am sure a bit was them getting high and drunk and egging him on.  IMO you can't judge that podcast by the most bat#### crazy one he's had.  There are a ton of other recommendations for good ones in the Joe Rogan Experience thread. 

If you listen to other podcasts after that, Rogan jokes about how nutty Jones is.  I am sure a bit was them getting high and drunk and egging him on.  IMO you can't judge that podcast by the most bat#### crazy one he's had.  There are a ton of other recommendations for good ones in the Joe Rogan Experience thread. 
Yeah, I just did an ETA on my Young Turks post that addresses that very point.

ETA: Just like Rogan my experience with TYT is very limited so I am really only making observations based upon limited information. There are just so many things vying for my time that it is difficult to commit to investing so many hours to get a full understanding of any individual podcast.

Just started season 1 of Serial, I know I am late to the party on that one because it was the sensation of 2014 but the producers of Serial just released a new project called S-Town, which is already garnering tons of critical acclaim and is next on my list after season 1 of Serial. 
I was going to post that I ended up listening to all of these.  I was a little more meh than the masses seem to be.  I guess my expectations for a podcast that is a one off like that is that it actually gets to a point or is more focused.  There were interesting turns to the story and the people were interesting, but I just thought it meandered too much and really didn't leave me satisfied at the end. 

I was going to post that I ended up listening to all of these.  I was a little more meh than the masses seem to be.  I guess my expectations for a podcast that is a one off like that is that it actually gets to a point or is more focused.  There were interesting turns to the story and the people were interesting, but I just thought it meandered too much and really didn't leave me satisfied at the end. 
I totally agree that expectations jade experience  I have heard that season one of Serial is very ambiguous so I am already prepared for that, which I hope evens out my expectations.

Rogan's podcast episodes are topic/guest driven. I've never heard him anything but polite to his guests.

Rogan's podcast episodes are topic/guest driven. I've never heard him anything but polite to his guests.
He was polite to Jones, for sure. I just don't like giving crazy too many additional platforms to reach people than they already have.  InfoWars is enough for Jones, no need to pump him into Rogan's demographic* without challenge. 

*Yes I am certain a venn diagram would show significant overlap between Rogan's demographic and InfoWars.

He was polite to Jones, for sure. I just don't like giving crazy too many additional platforms to reach people than they already have.  InfoWars is enough for Jones, no need to pump him into Rogan's demographic* without challenge. 

*Yes I am certain a venn diagram would show significant overlap between Rogan's demographic and InfoWars.
Really doubt it.  You are making a lot of assumptions based on 1 episode.  Rogan is one of the top 10 most listened to podcasts (however they measure that, hard for me to know for sure based on all the different ways to listen, but there are companies that appear to at least have consistent methodologies).

Rogan has all kinds of guests talking about all kinds of things.  Try the episodes with Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, Will MacKasill, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Pete Holmes, Gary Veynerchuk, Mike Baker (just as a few).  

I think that Joe's interest is more in just letting people talk and say things that could be interesting and trying to explore.  I only listened to about 45 minutes of Alex Jones, but overall, I thought Rogan tried to narrow focus on specific points (which may or may not be true) rather than just get caught up in the swarm of Jones.

I tried to listen to The Joe Rogan Experience based on a thread conversation relating to Alex Jones but I found it completely disheartening.  Jones is a nutjob, which most of us know, but Joe Rogan, who I actually like from his UFC and comedy gigs, actually seems to buy into Jones insanity. He certainly does nothing to challenge Jones' bizarre assertions and even seems to accept them as fact.  

FTR I feel it is a kindness to call Jones insane because if he isn't then he is quite simply evil.

Either way it will be difficult for me to give the Rogan podcast another shot. Maybe I will listen to an episode completely devoid of political discussion to see how he is in that setting OR if he has another insane political pundit on so I can use it as a resource for what the crazy people are spouting off.
I lasted about five minutes into Alex Jones. Try the one with Sam and Dan Harris. I'm betting you'll like it much more.
I thought the Lawrence Krauss episode was very good, too,

HellToupee said:
Chaka said:
Rogan and Jones are long time personal friends, going back like 15-20 years.  

I've heard him challenge guests  and get into pretty intense debates on his show.  

Long Ball Larry said:
Really doubt it.  You are making a lot of assumptions based on 1 episode.  Rogan is one of the top 10 most listened to podcasts (however they measure that, hard for me to know for sure based on all the different ways to listen, but there are companies that appear to at least have consistent methodologies).

Rogan has all kinds of guests talking about all kinds of things.  Try the episodes with Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, Will MacKasill, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Pete Holmes, Gary Veynerchuk, Mike Baker (just as a few).  

I think that Joe's interest is more in just letting people talk and say things that could be interesting and trying to explore.  I only listened to about 45 minutes of Alex Jones, but overall, I thought Rogan tried to narrow focus on specific points (which may or may not be true) rather than just get caught up in the swarm of Jones.
Again, I am a fan of Rogan outside the podcast so I want to like him in the podcast too. However there is a difference between letting a guest explore topics and feeding him softballs to get his propaganda out to a wider audience.

For example, Jones spent the better part of the first hour (and most of the show actually) pushing his horrid narrative about a pedophilia conspiracy reaching into the highest levels of government. He uses examples from the wiki DNC email dump alleging a whole code system withing the emails that actually refers to specific pedophilia centered conversations. Joe never pressed him on his sources (accepting Jones contention about "people within the NYPD") or how they know the code. Rogan never asked him why if people within the intelligence community and the NYPD know this code they haven't pursued these pedophiles and brought them to justice. No, Rogan only read excerpts from those emails and allowed Jones to continue his insane ramblings.

Now Rogan may be a good interviewer on the whole but I can't just listen to that episode and not make a judgement about the guy. He may be the best podcaster ever but on that day he was, at best, irresponsible.

Mister CIA said:
I've been digging The British History Podcast, sort of; and by that, I mean I've listened to each of the first eight episodes about eight times each, because it's also my go to sleep podcast too. Nonetheless, the guy is a great storyteller. Thus far, there are upwards of 240 episodes, most about 30 minutes long - and he has not even gotten to the 10th century, yet.
I've listened to the first two.  I have to admit I have a hard time understanding him; I think he talks so fast and I haven't adjusted to the accent yet. I think I'll stick with it but the sheer number of episodes is daunting. I thought THOR was a long slog...

I've listened to the first two.  I have to admit I have a hard time understanding him; I think he talks so fast and I haven't adjusted to the accent yet. I think I'll stick with it but the sheer number of episodes is daunting. I thought THOR was a long slog...
I think we're talking about two different podcasts. The guy that narrates the one I referenced, while an Englishman, was raised in the states and sounds like a straight-up American (he discusses this in episode #1).

Chaka said:
Still haven't found a fiction podcast that I enjoyed as much as We're Alive.

I see that they have produced a "...stand-alone and continuation..." called We're Alive: Lockdown.  Anyone listening?
I've got We're Alive saved on my podcast player just as a reminder it's still around.

Honestly the reason I haven't started is the same reason I can't do books on tape... I listen on care rides and when I'm traveling, but I have a tendency to zone out for a minute and have no idea what was going on. I think I just do better on more conversational podcasts where I can miss a line here or there and it's no big deal.

I've got We're Alive saved on my podcast player just as a reminder it's still around.

Honestly the reason I haven't started is the same reason I can't do books on tape... I listen on care rides and when I'm traveling, but I have a tendency to zone out for a minute and have no idea what was going on. I think I just do better on more conversational podcasts where I can miss a line here or there and it's no big deal.
I'm the same way, I need dedicated time to listen, can't multitask with one on for sure. Makes it tough to a degree but I made it a point to find time once We're Alive got me hooked (I listen a lot while taking the dogs for walks, which I do almost every day).

I'm the same way, I need dedicated time to listen, can't multitask with one on for sure. Makes it tough to a degree but I made it a point to find time once We're Alive got me hooked (I listen a lot while taking the dogs for walks, which I do almost every day).
:highfive:

I'm a dog walking podcast guy too...  Ill give it another shot.

Isn't the British History Podcast with the insufferable hipster from Portland? I greatly prefer the History of England pod, which I've listened to for years, but that guy's accent does take a bit to get used to. 

Chaka said:
Listened to a bit of The Young Turks based on a recommendation from @NCCommish (I think) and I found it interesting because they do seem to be very in tune with the political happenings of the day. A lot of it seemed poignant and reasonable but there is also a lot of left leaning Fauxtrage that I think hurts any of their reasonable positions. They are obviously partisan so I think it would be little more than a resource to see what the partisan left is currently offended/worried about.

ETA: Just like my Rogan my experience with TYT is very limited so I am really only making observations based upon limited information. There are just so many things vying for my time that it is difficult to commit to investing so many hours to get a full understanding of any individual podcast.
Yeah they can make me roll my eyes. But in general I like their work. And really I can't think of a single source I listen to or watch that I don't disagree with or find over the top occasionally.

Chaka said:
Still haven't found a fiction podcast that I enjoyed as much as We're Alive.

I see that they have produced a "...stand-alone and continuation..." called We're Alive: Lockdown.  Anyone listening?
I agree with the above - I thought the original was fantastic. I have the Lockdown podcast downloaded but haven't started on it yet.

Isn't the British History Podcast with the insufferable hipster from Portland? I greatly prefer the History of England pod, which I've listened to for years, but that guy's accent does take a bit to get used to. 
I was wrong; I'm listening to The History of England podcast. Evidently they both have 200+ episodes.  :doh:

Listened to a lot of Pod Save America lately. Like it less now that Lovett has his own show. The guy is a great yuck monkey but not strong enough to carry a podcast alone.

bananafish said:
Rogan produces so much content that I have to pick and choose what I listen to. I listened on your recommendation and came away impressed again. Thanks.
Lawrence Krause is Sam Harris' guest on his latest Waking Up podcast. 2 hours+. 

:excited:

KarmaPolice said:
I have found the arc on both Serial Season 1 and S-town to be similar.   I was intrigued after the first episode, was captivated from episode 2 on, but by the last couple it just kind of dragged.  

I think that in both cases you were hoping for a resolution, an answer, a smoking gun, something which they didn't deliver. 

Still very good but in both cases the best parts were the middle portions and by the time they got to the penultimate episode, they were grasping for straws because they didn't have the smoking gun  

I have found the arc on both Serial Season 1 and S-town to be similar.   I was intrigued after the first episode, was captivated from episode 2 on, but by the last couple it just kind of dragged.  

I think that in both cases you were hoping for a resolution, an answer, a smoking gun, something which they didn't deliver. 

Still very good but in both cases the best parts were the middle portions and by the time they got to the penultimate episode, they were grasping for straws because they didn't have the smoking gun  
I still found Serial S1 better, b/c at least it focused on one case even if there wasn't resolution.  I was "about" one thing.  You can definitely tell that it's by the same people though.  Season 2 of Serial didn't grab me at all through the first 2 episodes, so never finished that. 

I LOVE the Kornheiser podcast but Wilbon is the undisputed KING of the dooshbags. My god.
It's all about levels.  Wilbon is level 10 doosh, Kornheiser is about a 7.  Enjoy neither.  

Kornheiser's performance on MNF was so pathetic it made me feel sorry for him.  But since he has millions, I got over it.  

I have been enjoying Containers. 8 or 9 episodes about the shipping industry and how containers have changed the global economy. Each episode about a different topic and only around 30 minutes each 

Binky The Doormat said:
It's all about levels.  Wilbon is level 10 doosh, Kornheiser is about a 7.  Enjoy neither.  

Kornheiser's performance on MNF was so pathetic it made me feel sorry for him.  But since he has millions, I got over it.  
I could be wrong, but I feel like Kornheiser gets that he is a 7, which makes him enjoyable to me.  Wilbon thinks he is neat.  Loser.

I agree with the above - I thought the original was fantastic. I have the Lockdown podcast downloaded but haven't started on it yet.
+1 for me as well...came to this post hoping to find more like this but haven't,  will give Lockdown a try.

Can't remember if anyone's mentioned it yet, but I'm currently listening to Season 1 of Crimetown about the Providence RI mob scene. So far it's been very good and worth a listen.

Cool.  Curious what you think too. 
Faculty of Horror - Three episodes in and I am hooked. May help that one of the hosts is a Sociologist and I had to take way too many Sociology classes. The dynamic between the hosts is enjoyable and I find their take on these films to be refreshing. Maybe it is because they are two highly educated women, they come at interpreting these movies from a different headspace. I recommend.

Blank Check - 4 episodes in and they haven't really hit on the long term concept for their show yet. They are still deep-diving on the Phantom Menace. I do like the hosts, their shtick still amused me. I will keep listening.

New to the thread & podcast but have through enough pages. You guys are all over Dan Carlin who I've been listening to incessantly. It may or may not have been covered elsewhere in the 26 pages of this thread but Carlin's episodes 1-39 are available here if ya need them,

I could be wrong, but I feel like Kornheiser gets that he is a 7, which makes him enjoyable to me.  Wilbon thinks he is neat.  Loser.
I have tried multiple times to get into tk podcast but there is just something about it that is not good.  Too many inside jokes. Too many people on it and it just seems shallow.  

New to the thread & podcast but have through enough pages. You guys are all over Dan Carlin who I've been listening to incessantly. It may or may not have been covered elsewhere in the 26 pages of this thread but Carlin's episodes 1-39 are available here if ya need them,
I wish I could get this to load into Podkicker

I tried the search function so forgive me if already discussed. But The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe (the dirty jobs guy) is awesome. "Story telling for the ADD". :thumbup:  

I could listen to Rowe read me the phonebook but these are on average 10 minute short stories about people, things, places and how they came about. Really interesting story telling has you guessing the subject, some are obvious while others are harder to figure out. Give it a listen. 

Faculty of Horror - Three episodes in and I am hooked. May help that one of the hosts is a Sociologist and I had to take way too many Sociology classes. The dynamic between the hosts is enjoyable and I find their take on these films to be refreshing. Maybe it is because they are two highly educated women, they come at interpreting these movies from a different headspace. I recommend.
Yeah, this has been one of my favorite finds in awhile.  I think I have listened to 12-15 episodes now.  Mostly have listened in order, but did skip around if there was a movie that I was really familiar with that they were talking about - ie Cabin in the Woods. 

beer 30 said:
You can download them as an MP3 but doesn't get them into a podcast player. I've just loaded them as songs onto phone and listened to them that way if not straight off the net.
If it's an iPhone, you can select the MP3s in iTunes and tell them they're podcasts, then play them through the stock Podcasts app (which sucks) - that's about 10% better than just listening to them as songs.

Users who are viewing this thread