What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your favorite Podcast (2 Viewers)

Billy Bats said:
I tried the search function so forgive me if already discussed. But The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe (the dirty jobs guy) is awesome. "Story telling for the ADD". :thumbup:  

I could listen to Rowe read me the phonebook but these are on average 10 minute short stories about people, things, places and how they came about. Really interesting story telling has you guessing the subject, some are obvious while others are harder to figure out. Give it a listen. 
Some surprisingly good **** jokes in there, too.

Just got done with episode 19 of Faculty of Horror.  Never really thought of Drag Me To Hell as comment on eating disorders.  Really love this podcast even if I don't 100% agree with all their theories.  Even though he said he was done with the genre, I think this is one that @jdoggydogg might like. 

If it's an iPhone, you can select the MP3s in iTunes and tell them they're podcasts, then play them through the stock Podcasts app (which sucks) - that's about 10% better than just listening to them as songs.
This is :moneybag: Thanks Tick!

From the Googles:

To change a plain MP3 to a podcast, open up iTunes, select the MP3 then select Get Info on the MP3, select Options & then look at the Media Kind list. One of the Media Kind options is Podcast so just select that and then copy the newly modified MP3 file to your iPod Nano or any iDevice. You should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find the post about Left, Right, and Center, but thanks for that recommendation whoever it was.  Listened a couple weeks ago and again this week and definitely like it.

I like the roundtable aspect a la Maher, but giving enough time for more fully fleshed-out thoughts.  I like the Pod Save podcasts, but even though I agree with a lot of them politically, they're a little too agenda-driven for me.

Are the 2 guys always on with one other special guest, or do all of the guests rotate?

Just got done with episode 19 of Faculty of Horror.  Never really thought of Drag Me To Hell as comment on eating disorders.  Really love this podcast even if I don't 100% agree with all their theories.  Even though he said he was done with the genre, I think this is one that @jdoggydogg might like. 
I've been enjoying this as well.  I'm jumping around, since I'm not a horror buff and skip those that talk about movies I haven't seen.

Any good true mystery/whodunnit type podcasts anyone would recommend? 
@Billy Bats

Funny that this is the last post.  I just stumbled on a podcast named Up and Vanished that I was coming in to post about.  I think I have ripped through about 8 hours of it in the last couple days.  Never heard of it before, but it was new last year.  I think he said it might be 16 episodes? about a cold case and there are evidence updates in between the main episodes.  I am on Ep12 as I type this. 

Also listened to one titled Someone Knows Something.  Not as good, but interesting - I will definitely listen to season 2. 

I have one on deck that I saw recommended called Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories.  That one looks to be more of 1-2 episodes on more famous unsolved cases, and not like a serial one about one case. 

Never heard of Up and Vanished, but the current top reddit posts are "bored to tears" and a lot of complaints about the host exploiting the story for his own ego. Kind of like the Richard Simmons story. And sounds like it goes downhill soon, with lots of 'no news' filler episodes that consist entirely of phone conversations rehashing what they don't know and the same questions over and over again. 
I still think it's interesting as it's a look into the process of evidence collecting, etc... for a case. 

The podcast really did have to change tone at around episode 13 because it was a live case and stuff happened.  Part of the problem is that the podcast is now going up against a more active case, not a cold case so they are at the mercy of the little info they can get and there is no point in chasing around all leads like they had at the start of the season.  Yes, it was more interesting in the first 1/2 of the season as stuff was more unknown, but I think it's still worth a listen and will definitely listen to S2.   It's not the host's fault that stuff happened in the case (although, yes, they do bring up a bit that the podcast could have been directly related to people coming out and feeling the pressure so there is a bit of ego stroking, but whatever. 

I was just more surprised that I found myself liking it as much if not more than Serial or STown and had never heard of the podcast. 

I get the complaints and I don't.  I just got through EP20 and am caught up now.  I think for sure if you think they are repetitive, you could skip the Evidence and Q&A episodes in between the main ones.  Yes, they cover similar things but I like this stuff enough that I enjoyed quite a few of them.  I think the main guy went a bit off the rails in EP19 as well. 

Personally, I found Up and Vanished and this case more interesting than Serial S2 and S-Town.  :shrug:   Still a lot of questions out there, and I will keep an eye on this case as stuff comes out. 

Still haven't found a fiction podcast that I enjoyed as much as We're Alive.

I see that they have produced a "...stand-alone and continuation..." called We're Alive: Lockdown.  Anyone listening?
We're Alive 10/10. Great story. It was pretty easy to listen to and tell who was speaking and figure out what was going on at the time. I find it pretty hard with full cast productions to do this. Too often people sound too similar and there's not enough descriptive dialog or some kind of narrative telling me what's happening. Not so here.

Lockdown was 6/10. The technical aspects were not as good and the story was far weaker.

I love Duncan and most things history, but I never really got into Carlin.  I thought he was kind of repetitive, made lots of weird tangents, and the history was kind of spotty. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

We're Alive 10/10. Great story. It was pretty easy to listen to and tell who was speaking and figure out what was going on at the time. I find it pretty hard with full cast productions to do this. Too often people sound too similar and there's not enough descriptive dialog or some kind of narrative telling me what's happening. Not so here.

Lockdown was 6/10. The technical aspects were not as good and the story was far weaker.
Wow, this was released 8 years ago? Sounds interesting.

Don Quixote said:
I love Duncan and most things history, but I never really got into Carlin.  I thought he was kind of repetitive, made lots of weird tangents, and the history was kind of spotty. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
How old are you?  Carlin shattered comedy as it was - along with Bruce, and Pryor.  As he got older, yeah, some of it was just too grouchy.  

EYLive said:
It's a full cast audio drama more so than a true podcast. They released something like a 20 minute episode a week for a couple years, I think it had something of a hiatus for a bit and then finished up not too long ago (couple years?).

It really is worth a listen if you're into the whole zombie apocalypse thing. It was well very acted and produced and the story was really good. I liked the military aspect too.

Other one that I think the FFA might find intersting - Crimetown.  It's by the creators of the HBO series The Jinx.  Looks like each season will focus on organized crime/corruption/politics in a town.  S1 is about Providence, RI.  Definitely NSFW - a lot of F-bombs.  It started in November last year. 

Can anyone remember the link that someone posted to a site with a bunch of the Hardcore History episodes on it? I can't find it for some reason.

The talking over each other gets a tad much at times, but I really love the concept of Screen Junkies Movie Fights.  Basically just 3 people debating over silly movie topics.  Anything from best Scorsese movie to best penis in a movie.  Listened to several of these and they are good for some laughs.  If I heard correctly, I think some of them are behind Honest Trailers which I love too. 

I get the complaints and I don't.  I just got through EP20 and am caught up now.  I think for sure if you think they are repetitive, you could skip the Evidence and Q&A episodes in between the main ones.  Yes, they cover similar things but I like this stuff enough that I enjoyed quite a few of them.  I think the main guy went a bit off the rails in EP19 as well. 

Personally, I found Up and Vanished and this case more interesting than Serial S2 and S-Town.  :shrug:   Still a lot of questions out there, and I will keep an eye on this case as stuff comes out. 
Thanks for the rec KP, im enjoying it. :thumbup:  Will check out the other two after I'm done with Up. 

@Billy Bats

Funny that this is the last post.  I just stumbled on a podcast named Up and Vanished that I was coming in to post about.  I think I have ripped through about 8 hours of it in the last couple days.  Never heard of it before, but it was new last year.  I think he said it might be 16 episodes? about a cold case and there are evidence updates in between the main episodes.  I am on Ep12 as I type this. 

Also listened to one titled Someone Knows Something.  Not as good, but interesting - I will definitely listen to season 2. 

I have one on deck that I saw recommended called Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories.  That one looks to be more of 1-2 episodes on more famous unsolved cases, and not like a serial one about one case. 
@Billy Bats

i agree with @KarmaPolicehere, Up and Vanished is a really good podcast, it came recommended from him and through 18 episodes it does not disappoint (like many of these things tend to do) 

he started a thread but it hasn't gotten much traction which is sad because this is well done 

Coming up on episode 16 and I just started skipping those episodes. Will probably go back and listen on my long drives, but the Q&A's were getting too redundant with the listeners questions. 
They do for sure, but I seemed to have gotten some little thing from each one.  If that is worth listening to 30mins each of podcasts for is debatable.  I forget the guys name, but I seemed to like any of them with the PI that was hired and has been on the case for awhile.  It's interesting to hear is thoughts and what he saw when he went to the house. 

@Billy Bats

i agree with @KarmaPolicehere, Up and Vanished is a really good podcast, it came recommended from him and through 18 episodes it does not disappoint (like many of these things tend to do) 

he started a thread but it hasn't gotten much traction which is sad because this is well done 
@Righetti - I am glad you liked it.  Since there is nobody in there, I am tempted to start spoiler talk in that thread so people like us and BB can talk about the podcast and what we thing.  There are still a few questions/ideas that I have for sure.  I think there is supposed to be a new episode today as well. 

You might also like Somebody Knows Something Season 2.  I thought it was more interesting than S1. 

culdeus said:
Its a sci fi mystery about a group of kids taken from their home by a billionare type with shady intentions. Its good. Wouldnt want to spoil too much.
@culdeus - is this something that they talk about clues and could be worked out by kids at the older end of the range you posted?

massraider said:
The Boogie Monster.

Two LA-based comedians talking about urban legends and gohsts and such.  One of them is Kyle Kinane, my favorite stand up.
I mentioned this one upthread a while back. Lately it seems like Dave is pouring on the shtick a little thick. But still a weekly favorite of mine solely because of Kyle.

I tried the search function so forgive me if already discussed. But The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe (the dirty jobs guy) is awesome. "Story telling for the ADD". :thumbup:  

I could listen to Rowe read me the phonebook but these are on average 10 minute short stories about people, things, places and how they came about. Really interesting story telling has you guessing the subject, some are obvious while others are harder to figure out. Give it a listen. 
Thanks for the tip.  Some interesting stories, well-told.

Just started Up and Vanished and will check out Someone Knows Something after that. I'd love to join the conversation on Up and Vanished once I have some episodes under my belt.
Up to Episode 7 and really enjoying this so far - I'm a sucker for these types of podcasts :thumbup:   Theories are bouncing around my head, and I actually enjoy the little Q&A's/evidence reviews/etc.

Just started Up and Vanished and will check out Someone Knows Something after that. I'd love to join the conversation on Up and Vanished once I have some episodes under my belt.
@joker - I might have another suggestion too, but I am only in the first couple episodes so I want to make sure.  I will say that I have never cried during a podcast until last night when I listened to the first episode. 

Jocko Willink.

I can honestly say that he, not just his podcast alone has changed my life. 

Hes a former Navy Seal who talks a lot about being accountable, hard working and a leader. I only wish I met someone like him 25 years ago. 

His podcast is usually him discussing a book, often militarily themed, which actually isn't the biggest reason I listen. Its the stuff he says and shares in between. 

We're Alive was top notch stuff.

It may be a little tough to get into initially, at least it was for me, because audio story telling isn't really a medium we are exposed to nowadays.  But I am so happy I stuck with it and I enjoyed it so much I tried to find other story telling podcasts.

Totally worth it IMO.

They do for sure, but I seemed to have gotten some little thing from each one.  If that is worth listening to 30mins each of podcasts for is debatable.  I forget the guys name, but I seemed to like any of them with the PI that was hired and has been on the case for awhile.  It's interesting to hear is thoughts and what he saw when he went to the house. 
I liked the old guy Dr. Maurice way better than the new guy that came along Halloway, he seemed shady from the start and hey whattaya know?! He now has his own podcast, wormed his way right into that! 

Just finished all the episodes, such a crazy small town story. Feels to me like there was plenty of coverup going on, and that circle of friends are all involved, at least in knowledge and with the burning of the body. The ex-gf of Dukes podcast made me want to jump through the phone and knock her out playing the victim card. :angry:  

@joker - I might have another suggestion too, but I am only in the first couple episodes so I want to make sure.  I will say that I have never cried during a podcast until last night when I listened to the first episode. 
Wow, really?  What was so moving?  I'm trying and trying to get into Up and Vanished but it's not really capturing me.   I hear there are some pretty big reveals/breaks in the case and stuff later on, so I want to hear that, but I'm find it hard to capture my attention.

Wow, really?  What was so moving?  I'm trying and trying to get into Up and Vanished but it's not really capturing me.   I hear there are some pretty big reveals/breaks in the case and stuff later on, so I want to hear that, but I'm find it hard to capture my attention.
The one I was listening to was a case about an abducted/murdered 10 year old boy.  They go into the details a bit about what happened.  I have a 10 year old son and could not imagine that and it got to me a bit listening to it.  I will post more about that one and another I just got done with tonight or tomorrow. 

The one I was listening to was a case about an abducted/murdered 10 year old boy.  They go into the details a bit about what happened.  I have a 10 year old son and could not imagine that and it got to me a bit listening to it.  I will post more about that one and another I just got done with tonight or tomorrow. 
Oh, okay, that makes sense.  I thought you were saying ep 1 of Up and Vanished made you cry, my mistake. 

Users who are viewing this thread