Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Disney Vacation


Recommended Posts

I know this is a Disney Thread, but Universal talk is allowed last time I looked.

We're starting a thing with our kids where they get to pick a the summer trip each year.  Started with my 10 year old and he wants to do Universal, he didn't hesitate.  

We've been to Universal one time, for like half a day, last minute kind of thing.  It seemed super expensive to just get the one day ticket.  I just got on their website to look at prices and HOLY CRAP it seems pretty cheap right now.  Not sure if this is always the case though.   

Its a 5 day minimum, which is a lot for a universal trip, but its 5 day park tickets, Skip the line express pass, early admission, on site hotels, etc...$450 ish per person.  I feel like thats too good to be true.  Comes out to about $2300 total.  I think the deal is to book by Jan 6, but you can go whenever over the next year.    Price varies by what hotel you pick.  We're looking at the Cabana  Bay.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tiger Fan said:

Piggy backing a little bit on my earlier post...any other non-Disney/Universal fun stuff for kids (10 year old boys) to do?  Was thinking stuff like top golf, ripley's, etc?  Amount of info is overwhelming out there!

How about Gatorland?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jb1020 said:

I know this is a Disney Thread, but Universal talk is allowed last time I looked.

We're starting a thing with our kids where they get to pick a the summer trip each year.  Started with my 10 year old and he wants to do Universal, he didn't hesitate.  

We've been to Universal one time, for like half a day, last minute kind of thing.  It seemed super expensive to just get the one day ticket.  I just got on their website to look at prices and HOLY CRAP it seems pretty cheap right now.  Not sure if this is always the case though.   

Its a 5 day minimum, which is a lot for a universal trip, but its 5 day park tickets, Skip the line express pass, early admission, on site hotels, etc...$450 ish per person.  I feel like thats too good to be true.  Comes out to about $2300 total.  I think the deal is to book by Jan 6, but you can go whenever over the next year.    Price varies by what hotel you pick.  We're looking at the Cabana  Bay.  

I'm not saying this just because it's the Disney thread but I can't imagine doing 5 days at the parks unless the water park is open and that's included.  That does seem like a good deal but we've been and I just don't see enough to do UNLESS your kids are HUGE Harry Potter fans and would want to not only do the rides a few times each but also spend time in each and every store/shop. 

To me, Universal is all about HP - if your kids are in to it then they will have a blast.  Outside that there's a few cool things but nothing compared to the Disney parks, IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I'm not saying this just because it's the Disney thread but I can't imagine doing 5 days at the parks unless the water park is open and that's included.  That does seem like a good deal but we've been and I just don't see enough to do UNLESS your kids are HUGE Harry Potter fans and would want to not only do the rides a few times each but also spend time in each and every store/shop. 

To me, Universal is all about HP - if your kids are in to it then they will have a blast.  Outside that there's a few cool things but nothing compared to the Disney parks, IMO.

My kids like HP, aren’t super needs though.   The five days does include the water park.
 

I could see 2 park days, one water park day then a day or two to screw off.  We’ve never done Orlando and not been to Disney.   Kids like the nasa stuff too, might knock off one day and do the tour they have.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

My kids like HP, aren’t super needs though.   The five days does include the water park.
 

I could see 2 park days, one water park day then a day or two to screw off.  We’ve never done Orlando and not been to Disney.   Kids like the nasa stuff too, might knock off one day and do the tour they have.   

It’s definitely worth going once if you’ve never been- especially at a great price.  I can say fairly confidently that with express you can knock each park out in one day.  Maybe a 3rd day is City Walk and hit any highlights for a 3rd/4th time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I told my wife about the Universal deal. She said we will surely be back to a normal where we can at least go to Universal next summer. I dont share her optimism. It is an awesome deal, but agree that with the skip the line pass, each park is 1 day. 

But sometimes having the time allows the experience to be enjoyed more. Less running from ride to ride and more enjoying as a family. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Disney shutting down Magical Express in 2022. This was a huge plus for my family. Not sure how this helps. Now I need to rent a car or get a mears van like I did before Magical Express. To me, they are going the wrong way

 

Edited by AcerFC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AcerFC said:

Disney shutting down Magical Express in 2022. This was a huge plus for my family. Not sure how this helps. Now I need to rent a car or get a mears van like I did before Magical Express. To me, they are going the wrong way

 

Agree

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AcerFC said:

Disney shutting down Magical Express in 2022. This was a huge plus for my family. Not sure how this helps. Now I need to rent a car or get a mears van like I did before Magical Express. To me, they are going the wrong way

 

I was just reading about this. A few thoughts:

• MDE is actually operated by Mears. I wonder if this is a contract negotiation thing. 

• I'm assuming it will be complete by 2022, but there is a high-speed rail being built from MCO right to Disney Springs. I would assume there will be a dedicated line that only runs between the resort and MCO and it would prob get you there faster then DME 

• I would like to see if the luggage delivery is still included, just the transportation method would change.

NOT having a car or need access to one solves 1 major thorn in Disney's side—Universal Orlando. MDE was a mainline to keeping guests on property. Eliminate that and they are free to go "elsewhere."  I know as a split resort family (we do UO for the 1st 2-3 days, then move over to WDW), the cost to travel from MCO to UO and then to WDW gets pricey, esp if you have a large family and/or a lot of bags. If they at least hold your bags hostage (I mean "Continently transport them") then you could hop on the light rail and get there faster, cheaper, and more in mass then a fleet of buses. 

Edited by glvsav37
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

Also announced that Early Magic hours will not be coming back. Instead the will be replaced with "Resort Guest Early Entry" which opens all parks 1/2 hour early to resort guests. 

I get this from a crowd standpoint BUT, no magical express, no extra magic hours for 2 hours after park closes and no early fast pass. Why am I spending thousands to stay on property? And you guys know, I’m a huge fan. Just seems like I’m not “getting” as much any more. 
 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AcerFC said:

I get this from a crowd standpoint BUT, no magical express, no extra magic hours for 2 hours after park closes and no early fast pass. Why am I spending thousands to stay on property? And you guys know, I’m a huge fan. Just seems like I’m not “getting” as much any more. 
 

so here is an odd take, but for years people have been saying the WDW keeps raising their prices in an effort to 'thin out' the crowds. Maybe they have realized that they reached a pricing ceiling and need to find ways to turn away those guests now. 

Just spit balling, but its been rumored that they did studies and guests like you and I, who go often enough (to notice these changes), don't make them as much money as the casual, family who goes every 3-4 years. We dont buy the food, or the merch. We know how to work the system and maximize our time in the parks. 

Maybe they are finally finding ways to cut cost and thin out the parks w/o raising prices?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

so here is an odd take, but for years people have been saying the WDW keeps raising their prices in an effort to 'thin out' the crowds. Maybe they have realized that they reached a pricing ceiling and need to find ways to turn away those guests now. 

Just spit balling, but its been rumored that they did studies and guests like you and I, who go often enough (to notice these changes), don't make them as much money as the casual, family who goes every 3-4 years. We dont buy the food, or the merch. We know how to work the system and maximize our time in the parks. 

Maybe they are finally finding ways to cut cost and thin out the parks w/o raising prices?

Except it subtly does raise the prices of course. Because now you have to pay for transportation to Disney. And now you don’t get as much time in the parks which means you need to spend more money to stay longer to do everything you want to do.

And if you rent a vehicle now and stay on a Disney property, Disney now charges parking fees to park at the resort. So now you’re hit double by eliminating magical express. I’m guessing this basically is a cost increase of about 10% for most families.

I’m not sure this is going to play out the way they think it is. I’m planning my family’s first trip to Disney (had it planned for this past November but cancelled it). We’ll be doing our trip next November so magical express will still be running. If it wasn’t, I would almost certainly cut our time at Disney 2 days to do other things, would stay off site, and definitely wouldn’t get a food plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

so here is an odd take, but for years people have been saying the WDW keeps raising their prices in an effort to 'thin out' the crowds. Maybe they have realized that they reached a pricing ceiling and need to find ways to turn away those guests now. 

Just spit balling, but its been rumored that they did studies and guests like you and I, who go often enough (to notice these changes), don't make them as much money as the casual, family who goes every 3-4 years. We dont buy the food, or the merch. We know how to work the system and maximize our time in the parks. 

Maybe they are finally finding ways to cut cost and thin out the parks w/o raising prices?

Do you see fast pass coming the way it was or something along the lines of what Universal has where you need to pay for it (which is something they have already began to test)

A lot of us in this thread have the luxury of being able to spend the money to stay on site and I would say, if you go back and re read the thread, a majority of us would always suggest staying onsite even with the cost. I think Disney relies a lot on that when it comes to first time visitors. And we were able to point to the perks and say they were worth it. 

If things stay constant (which I know is a big IF), what are the perks for staying onsite now besides the Disney transportation (busses, skyliner, monorail) which some of us dont even bother taking anymore. Heck, staying at beach club/boardwalk allows you to just walk to 2 of the 4 parks.

** Serious activity. What other perks as it stands right now does staying onsite offer in 2022

1. Transportation

2. 30 min early entrance to each park (which gets you 1-2 rides I would estimate)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

so here is an odd take, but for years people have been saying the WDW keeps raising their prices in an effort to 'thin out' the crowds. Maybe they have realized that they reached a pricing ceiling and need to find ways to turn away those guests now. 

Just spit balling, but its been rumored that they did studies and guests like you and I, who go often enough (to notice these changes), don't make them as much money as the casual, family who goes every 3-4 years. We dont buy the food, or the merch. We know how to work the system and maximize our time in the parks. 

Maybe they are finally finding ways to cut cost and thin out the parks w/o raising prices?

I thought a lot about this and I am not sure you are right. But I am not numbers enough inclined to figure it out

You purchase 4 annual passes every year and go to the parks every year. That has to add up to more than someone who goes once every 3-4 years. Even if you are a DVC member

I am not a DVC member and have gone every year since 2008. I can not see how they dont make more on us, who continue to come back because we saw the value. Im not ready to jump ship, but the value is slowly declining

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All these changes seem depressing.  I can kind of go along with @glvsav37 and think that it will thin out the crowds for people like us, but I'm also of the mind set that when the parks are less crowded there are less cast members running the place.   They can certainly prove me wrong, but if crowds are down 30% next year, wait times wont go down.  You still won't be able to walk in a sit down restaurant without a reservation you made 6 months ago.  They'll continue to cut costs everywhere they can.  

Slashed magic hours and no fast passes seem like no fun.  

I know they have some major attractions opening up the next year or so, but I'm not sure that's going to draw us back.  Even with the DVC it still costs a fortune to go.  It just doesn't seem like the value is there anymore.  

Next roll outs will be and extra magic ticket.  Probably and extra $50 and you get in 2 hours early.  Want a fast pass, that will be another $25.  

Whats the last change they made that actually enhanced a trip to Disney? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

I thought a lot about this and I am not sure you are right. But I am not numbers enough inclined to figure it out

You purchase 4 annual passes every year and go to the parks every year. That has to add up to more than someone who goes once every 3-4 years. Even if you are a DVC member

I am not a DVC member and have gone every year since 2008. I can not see how they dont make more on us, who continue to come back because we saw the value. Im not ready to jump ship, but the value is slowly declining

while we will never really know, there are few things that point in that direction. 

In 2018, Walt Disney World was the most visited vacation resort in the world, with an average annual attendance of more than 58 million. (source 3rd paragraph down) I picked 2018 b/c it was before the lockdowns.

To try and break down repeat vs casual guests, first let's look at DVC, which many would consider make up a good chunk of the repeat guests. There are 3,550 DVC rooms on property (WDW Only source), figure average of 3-4 guests per room, and if every room is booked, thats 14,200 guests on property at any day. Multiply that by 365 (again assuming every DVC room is sold out every day to 4 people) that only 5,183,00 guests per year via DVC. (as if 5mil guests is "only")

that still leaves 53 million guests remaining. 

Locals are a part of it but not nearly as large of a percentage as Disneyland

The WDW resort has over 30,000 rooms and there are an additional 10,000 in the surrounding hotels resorts (source). Again, using the 4 guests per room average, thats 160,000 guests per day. Even if you split that 50/50 repeat to 1st timers, you are looking at 60,000 1st time guests a day, or 29 million. 

So what do casual guests do that repeat guests don't? Given that we know the systems well enough and have growing children that eventually move out of the "princess mode" 
• Bibbity bobbpity boutique and all the trimmings 
• Desert parties: Once you've seen the fireworks 10x, paying for that perfect view is less important 
• Dining plan: Even as a big fan my first few trips, its pretty much proven that the DDP makes WDW money (or else why would they offer it). Causal guests almost always over plan when it comes to food and will almost always leave credits behind.
• "Gotta have it" merch like Balloons and glow toys: Every time I walk down main st I wonder why there are still so many ballon vendors. Who is buying this crap, esp when they are such a pain to carry around? Causal park goers. 
• Merch is a toss up: Hard core fans favor the higher ticket/smaller margin merch like decorations for their homes, jackets they dont mind wearing at home b/c they are hard core fans. Casual guests will buy the high margin stuff like sweatshirts with the date on them, mickey ears, etc.
• Snacks/water: casual guests dont anticipate the daily drain on them and are generally not prepared vs seasoned guests who know to ship cases of water or have it delivered to the resort. 
• Ponchos: huge, high margin money maker. After a few trips you are carrying your own poncho with you. 

I'm sure these may seem like small items but x that out over 30 million unsuspecting families per year and it equals a ton of revenue. 

And my 50/50 numbers above are just a guess, I found this (here) while researching

Quote

A couple of years ago I was talking to some high-level managers, specifically asking why they did not do the Haunted Mansion Holiday or Small World Holiday overlays at WDW as they do at DLR. The response was that at DLR about 70% of the Guests are repeat, while at WDW about 70% are first-time visitors and they do not want to have the down-time problem twice a year on the switchovers since for so many people it will be their only visit ever.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

All these changes seem depressing.  I can kind of go along with @glvsav37 and think that it will thin out the crowds for people like us, but I'm also of the mind set that when the parks are less crowded there are less cast members running the place.   They can certainly prove me wrong, but if crowds are down 30% next year, wait times wont go down.  You still won't be able to walk in a sit down restaurant without a reservation you made 6 months ago.  They'll continue to cut costs everywhere they can.  

Slashed magic hours and no fast passes seem like no fun.  

I know they have some major attractions opening up the next year or so, but I'm not sure that's going to draw us back.  Even with the DVC it still costs a fortune to go.  It just doesn't seem like the value is there anymore.  

Next roll outs will be and extra magic ticket.  Probably and extra $50 and you get in 2 hours early.  Want a fast pass, that will be another $25.  

Whats the last change they made that actually enhanced a trip to Disney? 

its an interesting point, and one my wife and I were having just this weekend as we need to decide what we are going to do with our banked DVC points. Use them, rent them, or outright lose them. 

Part of our conversation was around how, now that my kids are getting older (youngest is 10, so not really THAT old), and the idea we have been there so many times, our last few trips have really slowed down and we spend more time at the resort then at the parks. Plus we mix in UO for a few days and with their (IMO) better fastpass system, we get our "thrill junkie" cravings met there, and uses the WDW parks for nostalgia and ambiance. 

I would def miss magical express, but i'm not devastated by it going away. The last few years we only used it heading back to the airport as we would charter a car to go to UO. So thats the sucky way to travel MDE anyway. I know thats just us, but you get it. 

I do wonder what WDW will look like and cost in 10-20 years when my kids will be bringing their kids. Will they be able to have the same experience we gave them? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

I was just reading about this. A few thoughts:

• MDE is actually operated by Mears. I wonder if this is a contract negotiation thing. 

• I'm assuming it will be complete by 2022, but there is a high-speed rail being built from MCO right to Disney Springs. I would assume there will be a dedicated line that only runs between the resort and MCO and it would prob get you there faster then DME 

I would like to see if the luggage delivery is still included, just the transportation method would change.

NOT having a car or need access to one solves 1 major thorn in Disney's side—Universal Orlando. MDE was a mainline to keeping guests on property. Eliminate that and they are free to go "elsewhere."  I know as a split resort family (we do UO for the 1st 2-3 days, then move over to WDW), the cost to travel from MCO to UO and then to WDW gets pricey, esp if you have a large family and/or a lot of bags. If they at least hold your bags hostage (I mean "Continently transport them") then you could hop on the light rail and get there faster, cheaper, and more in mass then a fleet of buses. 

This is what I hope is still offered.  The idea of not having to wrangle with several pieces of luggage was a great benefit.  Especially when we arrive and we can head directly to a park rather than checking luggage at the hotel first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are a family of seven, so staying on property was always really expensive to us, but we did it multiple times when my kids were younger.  Now that the kids are all teenagers, we did off-property our last trip, and we were heavily leaning that way for our next trip this summer.  Even though ME will still be around this year, this and the ending of extra magic hours provide us with literally zero incentive to stay on property, and I LOVE staying on property and being in the bubble.  But there is no way to justify the cost now that the extra benefits are gone.  While I am one of the few who likes the Disney buses and had no problems using them to get to the parks, driving (other than to MK) isn't that big of a deal.  And getting a 5 bedroom house with a pool and a game room to use for 14 days at less than what we would pay for 6 nights at a value resort is a no brainer.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Capella said:

I always heard waiting on that bus was hell on earth. It can’t be more than a 50 dollar Uber ride from that airport to the hotel, what’s the big deal? 

How much will the train cost from the airport to Disney Springs too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Capella said:

I always heard waiting on that bus was hell on earth. It can’t be more than a 50 dollar Uber ride from that airport to the hotel, what’s the big deal? 

I never took that bus and would always order a car service (or now an Uber).  The bus system would send you off hours before needing to be on the flight to hang around the airport all day.  

Edited by Redwes25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Capella said:

I always heard waiting on that bus was hell on earth. It can’t be more than a 50 dollar Uber ride from that airport to the hotel, what’s the big deal? 

Never had any issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

Never had any issues. 

My Michigan family told on their last trip about some torturous 3 hour wait at the airport to get to the hotel. Asked why they didn’t take the Uber they told me in their head they already paid for the bus. :shrug: Time is money there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Capella said:

I always heard waiting on that bus was hell on earth. It can’t be more than a 50 dollar Uber ride from that airport to the hotel, what’s the big deal? 

We have used it several times and it's been fantastic. You do leave a little early for your return flight however.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Payne said:

We have used it several times and it's been fantastic. You do leave a little early for your return flight however.

I honestly would probably not stay on property if the Magical Express goes away unless something comparable took it's place. Was a great perk for our family. Loved the feeling of just getting on the plane, having some cocktails, taking a nap on the bus and showing up at our room with our luggage there. I understood that keeping us on property, without cars and in the Disney ecosystem was the deal, but it proved a worthwhile tradeoff for the convenience. Not sure the hassle and expense of renting cars, dealing with luggage or Ubering around is worth the on property prices. Too many choices in Orlando at better prices. It might end up making more sense getting a Universal package with hotel and maybe Uber to a Disney park one day. Dumb business move IMO.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are going to WDW again in February. I hear getting a reservation to get on SW Galaxy Edge is next to impossible. My wife says you can only do it through their app EXACTLY at 7:00 local time based on atomic clock time. You have to navigate through 4 or 5 screens in literally 2-3 seconds without reading each screen, and if you hesitate or pause in the slightest you won't get a spot. She claims literally the signup process for the morning sessions are completely done and gone by 7:00:03. Rinse and repeat for the afternoon sessions.

Apparently people on the DIS boards suggest people practice the process over and over again or you won't be able to book a spot. Even doing it exactly right you may not get a spot. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Maybe it was covered earlier in the thread but I didn't see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2021 at 9:09 AM, ericttspikes said:

I honestly would probably not stay on property if the Magical Express goes away unless something comparable took it's place. Was a great perk for our family. Loved the feeling of just getting on the plane, having some cocktails, taking a nap on the bus and showing up at our room with our luggage there. I understood that keeping us on property, without cars and in the Disney ecosystem was the deal, but it proved a worthwhile tradeoff for the convenience. Not sure the hassle and expense of renting cars, dealing with luggage or Ubering around is worth the on property prices. Too many choices in Orlando at better prices. It might end up making more sense getting a Universal package with hotel and maybe Uber to a Disney park one day. Dumb business move IMO.

I believe that there will be a brief period where there will be no way to get to your resort through Disney transportation from the airport (starting 1/2022). But I read that their will be the new Disney rail system from the airport starting in late 2022 that will take you to a central point / terminal / location and then folks can transfer and either take ground (bus) or rail transportation to the individual resorts from there. I believe the intent is for the new system to take less time to arrive then Disney Express as the rail is supposed to go over the water. At least that was the impression I got from what I saw (and if that is what they build and implement). Who knows if that's how it will play out and what the actual travel time involved is.

Edited by Anarchy99
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

We are going to WDW again in February. I hear getting a reservation to get on SW Galaxy Edge is next to impossible. My wife says you can only do it through their app EXACTLY at 7:00 local time based on atomic clock time. You have to navigate through 4 or 5 screens in literally 2-3 seconds without reading each screen, and if you hesitate or pause in the slightest you won't get a spot. She claims literally the signup process for the morning sessions are completely done and gone by 7:00:03. Rinse and repeat for the afternoon sessions.

Apparently people on the DIS boards suggest people practice the process over and over again or you won't be able to book a spot. Even doing it exactly right you may not get a spot. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Maybe it was covered earlier in the thread but I didn't see it.

Basically correct. However, I dont remember it being 4-5 screens. 

At 7:00 or whatever time they open it up, there is a Join Virtual Que that pops up. You add all the people in your party and click join.

We had to arrive early when we went in January, BUT, I thought they recently changed things so people didnt have to jump thru the hoops

It is an absolutely awesome ride. Hope you get on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you mean Rise of the Resistance ride....I think anyone can get into The Star Wars land (Galaxys Edge).  Its not next to impossible, but its not easy.  We went in October and got in.  The process was a tad different then.  You had to be in the park and they opened up reservations at 10am.  They would fill up in the blink of an eye.  

They had a secondary release at 2pm which we got in a standby line.  We had to stay in the park, whic 3 kids 10 and under until 9pm, but we rode it.  Totally worth it.  

So in our 2 days at the park we had 4 chances and got in the standby one time.  

I'd have to look to be sure, but I think now as long as you have a reservation at HS you can attempt to book at 7am local time.  I think thats much better than having to be there, but it also seems like many more people will try and get them.  

It was a hoot too, at 10am and 2pm the park basically came to a stand still and eveyone pulled out their phones.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2020 at 10:38 PM, AcerFC said:

I cant speak for DL, but we did it today at DW. I assume they will do the same thing

They board the ride by a boarding group. In order to get on to the boarding group, your entire party needs to be in the park. The second the park opens, you can join a boarding group on the my Disney experience app. We got to the park 1 hour before it officially opened to make sure we were all scanned in. I would have everyone in your party DL the app. We had 4 people trying. Mine never even gave me an option to join. The girl next to us got boarding group 14. My wife, got it 10 seconds after her and we were boarding group 70. 

As the day goes on, you can check to see what BG they were on. I had a notification tell me when we could go. They give you a 2 hour window to get there. 

We basically "waited" on line for 40 minutes before the first of 3 phases of the ride. 

Overall, it was a great experience if you take away the stress of waking up at 5:15, getting an uber and then crossing your fingers you are quick enough on the app. 

Having said that, there a way fewer people in DL on any given day than DW so that will help you. 

Pretty sure they made it through every Boarding group today, even the backup ones despite the ride being down for an extended amount of time. 

Good luck and have fun. We thought it was amazing. 

@Anarchy99Here is my review from January

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

@Anarchy99Here is my review from January

According to my wife and the 90+ page thread on DISBoards, the way it is now apparently is your entire party has to be there AND using their app AND have their location services turned on. She said once they turn on the boarding booking, you have to hit JOIN four times in succession. Apparently they is a way to practice getting on one of the 175-180 boarding groups. She’s tried it several times, and the last time it took 5 seconds. I didn’t know how they do it, but that 5 seconds came back with a message that we would NOT have gotten a spot that day because all the spots were gone before that. Not sure how they know that, but that’s what they claimed. Again I don’t know if the situation is as dire as my wife is saying, but there all sorts of stories out there about people doing the slightest thing wrong and not getting a slot. Although the ride sounds awesome. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

According to my wife and the 90+ page thread on DISBoards, the way it is now apparently is your entire party has to be there AND using their app AND have their location services turned on. She said once they turn on the boarding booking, you have to hit JOIN four times in succession. Apparently they is a way to practice getting on one of the 175-180 boarding groups. She’s tried it several times, and the last time it took 5 seconds. I didn’t know how they do it, but that 5 seconds came back with a message that we would NOT have gotten a spot that day because all the spots were gone before that. Not sure how they know that, but that’s what they claimed. Again I don’t know if the situation is as dire as my wife is saying, but there all sorts of stories out there about people doing the slightest thing wrong and not getting a slot. Although the ride sounds awesome. 

Like I said in my review, we had 4 people doing it. Once one person gets it, you are all set

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

For the Star Wars app stuff, I believe that once your boarding party is announced, you have 30 minutes to arrive or they move on to someone else. Has anyone else heard that?

I thought the window was longer than 30 minutes iirc. Maybe 2 hours? Unless it’s changed since I was there in early September. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have made the decision not to go this summer. Covid was part of it, but also doing some work in the backyard and it is stretching the budget. 

So we are putting out DVC points up for rent if anyone is interested. We have 198 points that need to be used by October 1. We are offering it at $15.00/per point (firm).

The process is pretty easy, we would need to make the reservation for you and then transfer the reservation into your name. We can work out all the details. 


Why Rent DVC points vs Booking Directly?
For anyone not familiar with the DVC rooms and wondering why rent DVC points—DVC rooms are all located in deluxe level resorts and are generally larger rooms. 1 Bedroom and larger units have full kitchens, 2+ full bathrooms and a full laundry washer and drier inside the room. Plus you get the benefits of a deluxe resort—generally easy access to the parks, monorail or boat transportation, multiple restaurants and QS options, bigger pools, etc.

Plus at the rate of us renting you the points  vs booking a cash stay, you can save a considerable amount of money on the hotel portion of the trip. 

These points can also be used to book a non-theme park resort like Aulani, Hilton Head Island or Vero Beach. 

So how do I figure what I can get for the 200 pts?
Check out one of the 2021 point charts and see what type of resort, room type and season you would like to book. Each room and resort has a per point value per day depending on those variables mentioned above.  The same number of points could get you anywhere between a few days at the Grand Floridian Villas or a week at a lesser priced resort like Saratoga or Old Key West.  

Feel free to ask any questions or DM me. 
 

Edited by glvsav37
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...