What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (7 Viewers)

@glvsav37

when do the points need to be used by?

not sure we want to go in the summer despite my wife and I being vaccinated. But maybe a late Fall trip. 
thats odd that my PMs dont work? Maybe I need to purge a bit (edit: now purged)

The trip needs to be completed by Sept 30, 2021 b/c I get my new allotment on Oct 1. 

I doubt that fits your "late fall" target but let me know if still interested. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! Seems they are targeting the summer to begin bringing back entertainment, starting with the Festival of the Lion King Show. It appears it will be modified for the guests and performers and there will be new choreography, but it's great to see some signs of a return to normalcy. 
My wife is really jonesing for a trip. I sent her something I saw on touring blogs about a nacho ice cream sundae. She wants to book a November trip. I’m kind of on the fence. Would have loved to be able to rent your points but we can’t do the summer. 

My wife is really jonesing for a trip. I sent her something I saw on touring blogs about a nacho ice cream sundae. She wants to book a November trip. I’m kind of on the fence. Would have loved to be able to rent your points but we can’t do the summer. 
The dole whip nachos are fantastic. Had them a few months ago.

Well, looks like Jungle Cruise is the latest victim of our PC culture. 

Link
I have a love/hate relationship with this. I think the ride is def due for an update. I love it, but at this point I can recite every joke word for word. But as usual, an "update" of a classic attraction def goes a bit too far and upsets some. 

I actually heard objections to the savages attacking being black people....to which my reply was "Its 1930's era Africa?? Did you expect them to be a group of Ginger accountants??"  

But then again, I'm not the demographic that would be offended by that. 

On the refurb: While there will be no direct tie in to the new movies, bu I would def expect so " Hey everyone, look, its The Rock.....and there is another one, and one over there!"

"moms, cover your kid's eyes...because i'm about to show you....the Backside of The Rock!!"  lol  

I have a love/hate relationship with this. I think the ride is def due for an update. I love it, but at this point I can recite every joke word for word. But as usual, an "update" of a classic attraction def goes a bit too far and upsets some. 

I actually heard objections to the savages attacking being black people....to which my reply was "Its 1930's era Africa?? Did you expect them to be a group of Ginger accountants??"  

But then again, I'm not the demographic that would be offended by that. 
Well, we wouldn't want to offend any actual headhunters that are visiting the park.

I might be looking to rent some points this year if this is something you are still looking for. Even if it doesnt work date wise for my points, I am happy to check the availability calendar for you upon request if you decide to try and rent from another source. 

In another move forward, Blizzard Beach will open on Match 7th and tickets sales have been opened. 

of course:

When Disney’s Blizzard Beach reopens, it will operate in alignment with the health and safety protocols implemented throughout Walt Disney World Resort, including reduced capacity, temperature screenings, physical distancing and face coverings. Additional details about reopening can be found here. 
 But still good to see more things opening. 

That's going to be a petri dish. I'm pretty chill about not worrying about things, but I doubt I'll go there anytime soon.
maybe....resort pools have been open and with distancing guidlines it might not be as bad as you think. Plus the big difference between water parks and the theme parks is that its 100% outside. 

Talk of the water park brings back good memories of us renting a cabana.  In true Acer fashion, I booked the cabana the same time I did the dining IIRC. Well, turns out that NO ONE does that. They just wait until it gets closer. DIsney upgraded us from the cheapest cabana they had to the most deluxe. It was AWESOME

It also helped when it absolutely poured and we didnt get wet. All the crew was with us, which was cool because they were keeping the kids occupied. 

maybe....resort pools have been open and with distancing guidlines it might not be as bad as you think. Plus the big difference between water parks and the theme parks is that its 100% outside. 
When I went to Coronado in November,  the pools weren't bad at all.  Probably less than 20 people total at any time. I can't see how they can easily keep people distanced at the water park, but they've done a good job so far so maybe I'll be surprised. 

Holidays

We are going in October 2021 for the 50th anniversary and was wondering when they change decorations?
We thought about going on Saturday 10/30 for Halloween and was wondering when they put up the Christmas decorations?
hoped to maybe get a 2 for 1 holiday trip

thank you

Holidays

We are going in October 2021 for the 50th anniversary and was wondering when they change decorations?
We thought about going on Saturday 10/30 for Halloween and was wondering when they put up the Christmas decorations?
hoped to maybe get a 2 for 1 holiday trip

thank you
Christmas goes up like 11/1 thru 11/5. If you go 10/30 for a week you should be able to see both. 

Is anyone here a DVC member? I've started casually looking at it and was wondering if I Got this process right.

* You spend an initial fee (like 30k or so) based on how much you'll use it. I was looking at 150 points. 

* You look at the points table to see how many points it will take for your vacation. I.E. it would take 111 points to rent a standard room at the Poly for a week in September .

* You spend about 1k a year as a maintenance fee (depending on how many points you rent).

* After a year, the points refill to the 150 and you can use them for that year.

* You can roll over one years worth of points.

Is that the general gist of it?

Is anyone here a DVC member? I've started casually looking at it and was wondering if I Got this process right.

* You spend an initial fee (like 30k or so) based on how much you'll use it. I was looking at 150 points. 

* You look at the points table to see how many points it will take for your vacation. I.E. it would take 111 points to rent a standard room at the Poly for a week in September .

* You spend about 1k a year as a maintenance fee (depending on how many points you rent).

* After a year, the points refill to the 150 and you can use them for that year.

Look into the resale market. It could save you a lot of cash. 

DVC Member here and thats pretty much it.

The thing I like best about he DVC version of the timeshare world is that it is "points based" and not "week based" So you can use your points across 1 long vacation, or 2 shorter vacations, etc. But even better is that there is such a variety of resorts and room types, with each carrying their own point value per night, that you can really maximize those points and get lots of different vacation experiences. 

I would look at and compare the point charts before making a final decision on "how many" Take into account that your family will get bigger (assuming you have young kids) and that you may need larger rooms as the years go on. I know its hard to forecast, but keep it in mind. For us, we have a long term plan for using points at more expensive resorts that are generally closer to the parks (Bay Lake, Beach Club) when the kids were young (strollers, mid day naps, etc) and as they grow and become more self sufficient, be able to get larger rooms at some of outer ring resorts (AKL, Old Key West, etc).

Depending on your travel needs, you may want to pay very close attention to 2 things. Your "Home Resort" and your "Use Year" 

Your home resort is the resort that you technically own at. You can stay at any DVC resort, but you will always have a Home Resort. The benefit of a HR is that you can book that resort at 11 months from date of travel (known as "11 months out"). Any other resort, you have to wait until 7 months out. This is big b/c if you see yourself traveling at very peak times, like Christmas, or marathon weekends, having that head start on everyone else could be the difference on getting a room or not. Many people say "buy where you want to stay" b/c they feel the 11 mo booking window is important, I'l lbe honest, I own at Old Key West and normally travel in summer and have never have stayed in my HR, and never had a problem booking anywhere I wanted. IDK? You mentioned the polly in your OP (not sure if that was what you are looking at), but if you study the charts, you will see that the Polly only has studio rooms and (very expensive) bungalows. So if your family grew and you wanted to get a 1 bedroom, your home resort benefit would be useless b/c Polly does not have any. Just things to think about and recognize. 

Your "Use Year" is the month when your points "roll over" and you get your new set. Again, if you like to travel in certain times, say the summer, having an August UY is a challenge b.c you need to make sure your points are used by the last day in July making your "summer trips" really June and July trips (as an example).  We Travel in summer but have an Oct UY, so our trips are done by then and it gives us a full set of points for when we start to start planning again in December.

As for overall points, you can actually use 3 years worth of points at any time, your previous years (Banked), your current year, and the future year (Borrowed)...assuming you have all of them. So fir instance if you bought 100 now, but banked them immediately, waited for your UY to pass to get a fresh set, then booked, you could use the following years and have a total of 300 pts. I personally don't like to play like this, but if you knew a life event was coming up in 2 years and you could not go, it's available to you. However you cannot bank more than 1 year's worth of points, they simply go away if you don't use them. Also, there is a banking window that is pretty early on in your UY, so you really need to know if you are going or not. 

Dues: Each resort will have its own amount of dues. Its per point and due at the beginning of each year. Its around $5-7/per point from what I remember, my wife normally pays it and I dont even ask. lol Its an expense that will always be there and like taxes, very rarely goes down. But the way I look at it, my membership is paid off and now its the actual price for my room per year, vs booking normally—still a hell of a lot cheaper IMO. The dues go to upkeep and maintenance of the resort. So resorts like Animal Kingdom Lodge are high b/c of the care of the animals. 

Someone above mentioned Resale. That is another very viable option for you. There is a very big secondary resale market for DVC, and with the pandemic, I'm sure it is even bigger. You can literally save thousands, and the transaction is handled by a licensed broker and can be financed. But there is a caveat. Disney has put restrictions on most of the "perks" of being a DVC member for resale buyers. So things like annual pass discounts, member parties, use of the DVC lounges, etc are only now for "blue card members" meaning members who bought direct (or bought resale before the restrictions and were grandfathered in). So you need to think how much those "perks" mean to you and if you will get value out of them. Honestly, there are virtually no perks right now as DVC looks to recoup anything they lost while locked down.  But that said, we def get value out of the annual pass discount—but is that amount worth more than the overall savings by buying resale? Its different to each person. 

Many people will buy the minimum number of points required for the blue card and then look to add via resale. Once you are a blue card member, there is no way to differentiate points. 

Overall, it is very much a commitment. You really want to be going at least every other year to make the membership work. I have saved a ton of money over the course of my family's vacations, but now we also struggle with the thought of vacationing elsewhere as well. Given current conditions, we are not going this summer and are looking to rent out our banked points or risk losing them outright.

That said, we love our membership and are very glad we did it. We did buy resale when the market was very low and got our contract for a steal. IDK how I would feel at current rates but everyone's value is different. If you have any other questions feel free to DM me or ask it here. 

DVC Member here and thats pretty much it.

The thing I like best about he DVC version of the timeshare world is that it is "points based" and not "week based" So you can use your points across 1 long vacation, or 2 shorter vacations, etc. But even better is that there is such a variety of resorts and room types, with each carrying their own point value per night, that you can really maximize those points and get lots of different vacation experiences. 

I would look at and compare the point charts before making a final decision on "how many" Take into account that your family will get bigger (assuming you have young kids) and that you may need larger rooms as the years go on. I know its hard to forecast, but keep it in mind. For us, we have a long term plan for using points at more expensive resorts that are generally closer to the parks (Bay Lake, Beach Club) when the kids were young (strollers, mid day naps, etc) and as they grow and become more self sufficient, be able to get larger rooms at some of outer ring resorts (AKL, Old Key West, etc).

Depending on your travel needs, you may want to pay very close attention to 2 things. Your "Home Resort" and your "Use Year" 

Your home resort is the resort that you technically own at. You can stay at any DVC resort, but you will always have a Home Resort. The benefit of a HR is that you can book that resort at 11 months from date of travel (known as "11 months out"). Any other resort, you have to wait until 7 months out. This is big b/c if you see yourself traveling at very peak times, like Christmas, or marathon weekends, having that head start on everyone else could be the difference on getting a room or not. Many people say "buy where you want to stay" b/c they feel the 11 mo booking window is important, I'l lbe honest, I own at Old Key West and normally travel in summer and have never have stayed in my HR, and never had a problem booking anywhere I wanted. IDK? 

Your "Use Year" is the month when your points "roll over" and you get your new set. Again, if you like to travel in certain times, say the summer, having an August UY is a challenge b.c you need to make sure your points are used by the last day in July making your "summer trips" really June and July trips (as an example).  We Travel in summer but have an Oct UY, so our trips are done by then and it gives us a full set of points for when we start to start planning again in December.

As for overall points, you can actually use 3 years worth of points at any time, your previous years (Banked), your current year, and the future year (Borrowed)...assuming you have all of them. So fir instance if you bought 100 now, but banked them immediately, waited for your UY to pass to get a fresh set, then booked, you could use the following years and have a total of 300 pts. I personally don't like to play like this, but if you knew a life event was coming up in 2 years and you could not go, it's available to you. However you cannot bank more than 1 year's worth of points, they simply go away if you don't use them. Also, there is a banking window that is pretty early on in your UY, so you really need to know if you are going or not. 

Dues: Each resort will have its own amount of dues. Its per point and due at the beginning of each year. Its around $5-7/per point from what I remember, my wife normally pays it and I dont even ask. lol Its an expense that will always be there and like taxes, very rarely goes down. But the way I look at it, my membership is paid off and now its the actual price for my room per year, vs booking normally—still a hell of a lot cheaper IMO. The dues go to upkeep and maintenance of the resort. So resorts like Animal Kingdom Lodge are high b/c of the care of the animals. 

Someone above mentioned Resale. That is another very viable option for you. There is a very big secondary resale market for DVC, and with the pandemic, I'm sure it is even bigger. You can literally save thousands, and the transaction is handled by a licensed broker and can be financed. But there is a caveat. Disney has put restrictions on most of the "perks" of being a DVC member for resale buyers. So things like annual pass discounts, member parties, use of the DVC lounges, etc are only now for "blue card members" meaning members who bought direct (or bought resale before the restrictions and were grandfathered in). So you need to think how much those "perks" mean to you and if you will get value out of them. Honestly, there are virtually no perks right now as DVC looks to recoup anything they lost while locked down.  But that said, we def get value out of the annual pass discount—but is that amount worth more than the overall savings by buying resale? Its different to each person. 

Many people will buy the minimum number of points required for the blue card and then look to add via resale. Once you are a blue card member, there is no way to differentiate points. 

Overall, it is very much a commitment. You really want to be going at least every other year to make the membership work. I have saved a ton of money over the course of my family's vacations, but now we also struggle with the thought of vacationing elsewhere as well. Given current conditions, we are not going this summer and are looking to rent out our banked points or risk losing them outright.

That said, we love our membership and are very glad we did it. We did buy resale when the market was very low and got our contract for a steal. IDK how I would feel at current rates but everyone's value is different. If you have any other questions feel free to DM me or ask it here. 
Thank you! I'll run this info past the wife.

We've been members since 2006 and glvsav37 pretty much nailed it. 

We paid about $22k back then and it has been worth it.   I think the biggest benefit is that we've been able to book 3 BR grand villas multiple times (sometimes 2 of them).  The rental cost for those are so high there is no way we would have been able to do that without DVC.   

We've been members since 2006 and glvsav37 pretty much nailed it. 

We paid about $22k back then and it has been worth it.   I think the biggest benefit is that we've been able to book 3 BR grand villas multiple times (sometimes 2 of them).  The rental cost for those are so high there is no way we would have been able to do that without DVC.   
I was looking at the prices for the Poly and they seem pretty great off season. Much better than normal prices. I was thinking of going in on it with my brother,  but I'm not sure if that's even allowed.

when were you thinking of going? I have 195 points I am looking to rent by october?
Sept maybe? Haven't nailed it down for sure,  but we're looking to go for a week during the time that it's 111 points to rent for the week. Think that's the 1st to 19th.

Looking at the Standard Deluxe room at the Poly.

How much are you looking at per point?

Sept maybe? Haven't nailed it down for sure,  but we're looking to go for a week during the time that it's 111 points to rent for the week. Think that's the 1st to 19th.

Looking at the Standard Deluxe room at the Poly.

How much are you looking at per point?
Davids pays me 14.50/pp and charges you $18. So can you do $15.50/pp?

We would need to get on the phone and book the room together and book it so I can transfer the reservation to you 

Just an FYI, the polly is under major renovation right now. IDK if it will be done by Sept, but the monorail station and lots of the grounds are ripped up.

hmmmm...I'm not seeing any rooms avil there for that time. 

https://www.dvcapp.com/s/3115/QePKG

Davids pays me 14.50/pp and charges you $18. So can you do $15.50/pp?

We would need to get on the phone and book the room together and book it so I can transfer the reservation to you 

Just an FYI, the polly is under major renovation right now. IDK if it will be done by Sept, but the monorail station and lots of the grounds are ripped up.

hmmmm...I'm not seeing any rooms avil there for that time. 

https://www.dvcapp.com/s/3115/QePKG
Hmmm, looking at that, I think the Monday the 20th to Saturday the 25th might work. That'd be about the same cost, points wise (108 points).

When do you need to know by? I'm probably not going to be able to pull the trigger until next month.

So actually thinking about a trip again.  My Wife's great Aunt and Uncle who we are really close to and live in Orlando are getting up in years.  Think I will likely do a trip in late 2021 if things look good.  I had wanted to go to Disney Land to change it up but that would have been a 2020 trip but figure need to make the journey to Orlando sooner.  

Imagine we go for Bay Lake Tower again as it is the best hotel on property in my mind given its location and ability to get a larger room that fits all 5 of us easily.  

The Commish said:
A ton of people here...no real policing of masks. Id say its maybe 50/50 and of the 50 wearing 2/3 of them are wearing below their nose

Just seems to be a different mentality
And it’s in the hood. 

The Commish said:
A ton of people here...no real policing of masks. Id say its maybe 50/50 and of the 50 wearing 2/3 of them are wearing below their nose

Just seems to be a different mentality
we are scheduled to visit the BG in Williamsburg VA in August. It was a summer 2020 trip with friends that obv got canceled but that were able to rebook their timeshare and BG Extended the tickets. Interested what the overall CV19 landscape is come summer and see what other parks are doing. 

So actually thinking about a trip again.  My Wife's great Aunt and Uncle who we are really close to and live in Orlando are getting up in years.  Think I will likely do a trip in late 2021 if things look good.  I had wanted to go to Disney Land to change it up but that would have been a 2020 trip but figure need to make the journey to Orlando sooner.  

Imagine we go for Bay Lake Tower again as it is the best hotel on property in my mind given its location and ability to get a larger room that fits all 5 of us easily.  
we had Disneyland in our sights for 21 as a stopover to Aulani, but I doubt that is happening. Hopefully we can pull it off in 2022. My kids have never been to the west coast park, and my wife has only been 1x. 

Second BLT for the same reasons. I have spoken to a few people here about them, but nothing is set yet, so I'll mention that I have 190ish DVC points up for rent that expire in October if interested. 

Disney is scheduled to premier some information on their MK 50th Anniversary celebration on Good Morning America Friday morning. 

https://twitter.com/DisneyParks/status/1362567578942464003?s=20

If you look closely at the teaser video you'll see that there may be some enhancements to Cinderella's Castle (although not like the birthday Cake overlay for the 25th), new character costume updates, some concept art possibly for lighting at Tower of Terror and Spaceship Earth and some other minor details.

My wife and I are planning an October 2021 trip, trying to decide between standard room at GF or a studio at RIV.

Any thoughts?

My wife and I are planning an October 2021 trip, trying to decide between standard room at GF or a studio at RIV.

Any thoughts?
Riviera. Its brand new and a beautiful resort. But the best part is that it is on the skyliner route and gives awesome access to Studios and Epcot. That time of year is Food and Wine and Epcot is the place to be. 

GF is beautiful too, but tis getting old and the cracks are starting to show. Unless you need that easy access to MK, it wouldn't me on my list. The monorail is running limited right now and not going to Epcot. But, they did just complete the walkway around the lake to MK and its a nice 5 min walk right to the front gates (one of the reasons we love staying at the Contemporary) 

Also know that Oct will kick off the 50th anniversary celebration, so expect a bump in crowds. Hence another check for the Riv as for being a good option in regards for transportation.

50th anniversary and wine and food are the reasons we picked that time to go. I have been leaning towards RIV for the reasons you listed, just wanted to get opinions from people who have been there recently

50th anniversary and wine and food are the reasons we picked that time to go. I have been leaning towards RIV for the reasons you listed, just wanted to get opinions from people who have been there recently
yea I don't think you can go wrong at the Riv....its a beautiful resort, great dining, skyliner and i'm all about getting in the new resorts while they still have the new car small on them. Nothing against the Grand Flo, but unless you need to be in the MK resort area or have some personal connection to the resort, it wouldn't be on my short list. 

Spent the week in Orlando last week. Visited Universal three days and there is absolutely no way they are limiting capacity. Couldn't even walk through Harry Potter. Absolutely ridiculous. 

Disney sounds like they are doing a much better job. 

Users who are viewing this thread