What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Real Estate Forum *** (3 Viewers)

The LTR seems viable if the market cools a bit. 

With the oldest son attending trade school (probably electrician, maybe aero mechanic) there's a decent chance that we'll go into business together, he will be on call to fix #### while I manage the money. While that has a possibility of disaster, I'm not worried about it with him. But it's a few years before we'll take that leap.
You kid is getting a license to print money.  Any decent plumber/electrician should be knocking down $150k if they are willing to run their own show.

You kid is getting a license to print money.  Any decent plumber/electrician should be knocking down $150k if they are willing to run their own show.
What about auto mechanics.  I've got a wide open door for the kid to become a crane mechanic in the LA Harbor of all places ($$$), and he's easily smart enough to do so, yet he's dead set on cars instead (half-way through school already).  Ditched a very good college to do so.

No idea what he could make but he's honest, smart and hard-working.  I am thinking about going in half.  He hates people btw; no way he could do it alone -- for that and other reasons, obviously.

He considered HVAC until his uncle talked with him about attics in Alabama or Tennessee in August, crawl spaces with rats and snakes, etc.  I still think it would be fine work but yeah, the conditions aren't awesome. 

Meanwhile, son #2 likes to make comments about how much better he'll be with college and working at a bank. 

Today I'd rather be an electrician. 

He considered HVAC until his uncle talked with him about attics in Alabama or Tennessee in August, crawl spaces with rats and snakes, etc.  I still think it would be fine work but yeah, the conditions aren't awesome. 

Meanwhile, son #2 likes to make comments about how much better he'll be with college and working at a bank. 

Today I'd rather be an electrician. 
You should force him to read the book this thread is based on. 

What about auto mechanics.  I've got a wide open door for the kid to become a crane mechanic in the LA Harbor of all places ($$$), and he's easily smart enough to do so, yet he's dead set on cars instead (half-way through school already).  Ditched a very good college to do so.

No idea what he could make but he's honest, smart and hard-working.  I am thinking about going in half.  He hates people btw; no way he could do it alone -- for that and other reasons, obviously.
Personally cars would concern me.  Big shift to electric vehicles coming.  I mean you can always retrain but there will be changes in that industry.  Outside of tires and brakes, does anyone take there Tesla anywhere but Tesla?  I'd imagine that heavy equipment mechanic would be in high demand for a long time.

It's crazy how much location matters. 

$150/ft gets you a great waterfront place where I ran this morning. Indy 

I get that larger places will generally be less $ per ft² but still.

I don't think it will happen.  You could have missed all your house payments in the last year and still have more equity than a year ago.
I have a buyer closing in an hour.  In reading the closing statement, seller is having $50k on about 7 debt items paid off with the closing proceeds and she's still getting a tax free check for $154k, from a home she bought in 2014.

People in trouble should be able to sell and do quite nicely almost all of the time IMO

Wanted to get some thoughts on long term financing and what you all are forecasting with rates, looking at locking in a commercial property for 10 years at 3.35%. The prepayment penalty is significant at 3% though through 6 years then 2% the next 2. I worry that when the next recession does hit in a year or 2 rates could go lower as we've heard talk of higher rates for how long now? I wanted to see what people thought,  lock it and forget it or keep flexibility for a shot at lower rates? What do you think and what terms are you seeing to lock something in with a commercial lender around 10 yrs?

Smart move IMO.  I got suckered into the "cool" factor.

I'm sure my friends and family appreciated all the cheap vacations on my sweat equity.  I sold my vacation rental last May and 1031'd the "proceeds" into a LTR (by proceeds I mean depreciation I would have had to pay the US gov't).  The LTR rental is cashing flowing to the tune of $600 a month and has already appreciated more than the vacation rental did in 13 years.  Best part, I've done nothing but drive by a few times to write off my trip and meals in Asheville.
What is an LTR?  Long term rental?  Like yearly lease?  

Wanted to get some thoughts on long term financing and what you all are forecasting with rates, looking at locking in a commercial property for 10 years at 3.35%. The prepayment penalty is significant at 3% though through 6 years then 2% the next 2. I worry that when the next recession does hit in a year or 2 rates could go lower as we've heard talk of higher rates for how long now? I wanted to see what people thought,  lock it and forget it or keep flexibility for a shot at lower rates? What do you think and what terms are you seeing to lock something in with a commercial lender around 10 yrs?
I just got a 25 yr quote in the low 4's.

If you are going to keep it 10 years and you are getting a better rate than what you had, I'd go for it.  Not sure you will do much better.

I'm in a 35 yr HUD loan at 3.26, that we are almost 5 years into.  Penalty is 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1% the first 10 years.  We are looking into trading up right now and we might have someone to take over the loan to avoid the penalty. 

If you are going to keep it 10 years and you are getting a better rate than what you had, I'd go for it.  Not sure you will do much better.

I'm in a 35 yr HUD loan at 3.26, that we are almost 5 years into.  Penalty is 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1% the first 10 years.  We are looking into trading up right now and we might have someone to take over the loan to avoid the penalty. 
Thanks for the response, and this is just if I move it to another lender we can still sell with no penalty. Hard to read rates right now, not sure how much higher they can go without destroying everyone that has gotten used to this low rate environment. 

Wow 35 years huh?  When did they start going over 30?  My best rate I’ve got on my rentals is 4.95%.  

Thanks for the response, and this is just if I move it to another lender we can still sell with no penalty. Hard to read rates right now, not sure how much higher they can go without destroying everyone that has gotten used to this low rate environment. 

Wow 35 years huh?  When did they start going over 30?  My best rate I’ve got on my rentals is 4.95%.  
Here's a good link that explains HUD loans well.   Looks like 2.85% right now.  read the pros and cons.  The annual audit costs us $4k and is a total #####.  Our 5 yr anniversary is in Dec.

https://apartmentloanstore.com/loan-product/hud-loans

One of my doubles went under contract over the weekend.  I didn't have it listed, but a realtor I've used in the past for a few purchases called to see if I'd sell anything.  I told her they were all for sale.

So a week later she called back to tell me her buyer wanted pricing on three that she liked.  I told her some numbers and they wanted to set up showings.  Not interested in two (they haven't been remodeled for a while) but gave me a full price offer for the third.

Bad Zestimates Cost Zillow Millions

Just weeks after Zillow announced that they were pausing their iBuyer program, Zillow Offers, they have now decided to terminate the program altogether. This was announced during the Zillow earnings call on Tuesday where they disclosed record losses ($328 Million) that were almost all a result of the Zillow Offers program and shockingly that they plan to let go a whopping 25% of their workforce.

Sinister Speculations

A few weeks ago when Zillow announced that they were pausing their Zillow Offers program, there was much speculation that Zillow had been able to predict an upcoming dip in the market, but we can now see that nothing was further from the truth.

Zillow's Zestimate system failed them and left them with millions of dollars of real estate that they had overpaid for. Any thought of market manipulation or that Zillow was somehow able to predict an upcoming market dip has gone out the window. They have said that they will continue to refine their Zestimates to be more accurate in the future.
The Zestimate Didn't Work for Zillow Either

Anyone who has been in the industry for some time has been challenged by clients, friends, and family members about your professional opinion of how much they could sell their property for. The conversation usually involves you sharing an estimated selling price, and the other party saying something like "But the Zestimate on my house is $50K more than that." Then you start the process of explaining to the person the inaccuracies of Zestimates, which they may or may not choose to believe. Zillow was been banking on their Zestimates as the backbone of their Zillow Offers program, and, unfortunately, they have learned an expensive lesson on just how inaccurate these estimates can be. Zillow founder Rich Barton said in the earnings report that

“we’ve determined the unpredictability in forecasting home prices far exceeds what we anticipated and continuing to scale Zillow Offers would result in too much earnings and balance-sheet volatility.”

While many agents could have, and did, predict this, Zillow Offers has certainly been able to continue for longer than many had thought was possible. In the report, Barton cites extraordinary events, like the COVID-19 pandemic and lumber shortages, as putting additional strain on the budding initiative, but many have speculated that it was actually these extraordinary events and the extreme price inflation that resulted from them that allowed Zillow Offers to remain viable for this long.

Market Impact of Zillow's Off Loading

Zillow has made it clear that they want to get out of the house flipping business as quickly as possible and cut their losses. Zillow reportedly has about 7,000 homes worth close to $3 Billion dollars that they need to sell, quickly. While these homes are spaced out across the country, Zillow is more invested in certain markets than others. North Carolina, Texas, and Florida markets may feel the impact of Zillow's distressed sales on property values more than others. Let us know in the comments below how you think this will affect the market!

Lol at how they could lose so much in this market.  
Their "valuation" method is far too simplistic. It's just "average price per sq/ft for the zip code" times the square footage of the house...

For example, my neighbor sold his house which is the same floorplan and square footage as mine. And as soon as the deal closed, my zestimate went up to the sale price of his house.

As far as their computer could tell, this makes sense... two identical houses, same bedrooms, same bathrooms, same size, next to each other should sell for about the same amount, right? 

Now, my neighbor's house was fully renovated, everything was upgraded, and, he's got a huge swimming pool and hot tub in back. My house got a coat of paint 12 years ago, has builder-grade appliances, and no pool. 

It would take $200K in work to get my house to match his...

...if the LA real estate market wasn't completely insane, I wonder if I could have sold to Zillow and then rebought at the real price a month later to pocket the difference...

I'm ready to sell my house in Oregon and cash in on this crazy market. I got an offer in the mail from OpenDoor.  Do you recommend selling your house to one of these corporations?

Or should I hire a realtor in my area. How do you find a realtor that will get you the best price? Not looking forward to paying a 6% commission.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm ready to sell my house in Oregon and cash in on this crazy market. I got an offer in the mail from OpenDoor.  Do you recommend selling your house to one of these corporations?

Or should I hire a realtor in my area. How do you find a realtor that will get you the best price? Not looking forward to paying a 6% commission.

Thanks for any advice.
Pretty sure you still pay commission to Open Door and similar companies. Read the paperwork/flier they send, but I think that's true.

I entered all of my info into one of those websites just for kicks and the valuation was super low because they have no way to know about all of the upgrades we made since buying the place.They only know square footage and price per square feet of other sales in the area. I imagine if your house is not as nice as nearby sales you might get an inflated offer, and a lowball offer if your house is nice than nearby sales. 

Random rental property tax question.

I had refinanced my primary residence a little while back.  If we decided to move and rent it out, can the mortgage interest be written off?

Thanks for any advice.
Honestly, it is silly to use one of these services in this environment for selling a home. The benefits of these type of things are mostly gone. The biggest thing was is a quick and easy sell. Quick shouldn't be an issue in most markets. Easy... I mean, unless the place needs massive cleaning, upgrades, etc then I guess it could still be easy but many markets it is just as easy. The negative is getting less money. You get a lower purchase price and still have fees and % taken out. Not to mention, 6% isn't set in stone. You can negotiate with a listing agent. 

Opendoor listings...  agents are posting they their buyers are rarely in multiple offer situations because they market them so poorly.   It's very hard for agents to get into the listings for showings because their system for that blows chunks.

If you are selling your house in this market, please don't do this....

Client made a full price, cash offer on Saturday. Agent listing notes said all offers received by Monday at 5pm, will be responded to by Tuesday at 5pm.

I asked her to please consider deciding by Sunday night as we had a 1031 Exchange property naming deadline.

My client winds up putting the property on his list.  Monday am I text agent that our offer is still good. Late afternoon she texts back saying we are looking good and they are still meeting Tuesday at 7pm.

Also on his 1031 were two new construction homes. I make calls to agent and find out they have $15k and $20 incentive credits. My client likes this. We write both offers late Monday night. Both get accepted as we sign minor counters Tuesday at 4:45pm.

Saturday agent loses full price, cash offer because they gave us 3-4 days to find something better. If you get a good offer, take it right away. 

Mortgage lenders are slashing employee counts by large amounts. Better Mortgage has done several large ones (in horrible fashion) and lenders like Rocket and Wells Fargo have recently announced sizable layoffs (Rocket aiming at 8% of it's workforce or about 2,000 employees). 

The expectation is that more than a couple of lenders will not survive this period, whether they fail or are acquired (for cheap). 

Question.  Is it normal for people renting out a house to do an open house?

I am going to check out a rental for my daughter, and they are having an open house.   Not sure I have ever heard of an open house for a rental.  Seems like a good idea

I am going to check out a rental for my daughter, and they are having an open house.   Not sure I have ever heard of an open house for a rental.  Seems like a good idea

No.  As a funny anecdote I paid over list for a rental yesterday.  Even rentals get into bidding wars. 

No.  As a funny anecdote I paid over list for a rental yesterday.  Even rentals get into bidding wars. 
Maybe they are going for a bidding war.

If we ever move and rent out our current home I am definitely doing an open house.  Generally single family homes aren't widely available in my town, especially not houses as "nice" as mine.

Yes I've done an Open House.  Not going to schedule 12 showing requests when I can say the home will be open to view from 1-3.  With the price of gas there's not a lot of meat on the bone to do multiple showings if the property is any distance away.

Yes I've done an Open House.  Not going to schedule 12 showing requests when I can say the home will be open to view from 1-3.  With the price of gas there's not a lot of meat on the bone to do multiple showings if the property is any distance away.
Rental market is crazier than the home market IMO.

I do open houses for my clients all the time, right after they buy the house.  So much easier to deal with people for just two hours than trying to accommodate all the different times people want a showing.

So landlords, question.

My daughter wants to move out with two of her friends.  All just graduated high school, all are 18.

How exactly do we apply?  I didn't particularly want to take responsibility for the other two girls.  

If you were the landlord and had three 18 year olds applying that need cosigner's, what would you need to feel comfortable renting to them?

So landlords, question.

My daughter wants to move out with two of her friends.  All just graduated high school, all are 18.

How exactly do we apply?  I didn't particularly want to take responsibility for the other two girls.  

If you were the landlord and had three 18 year olds applying that need cosigner's, what would you need to feel comfortable renting to them?
I've done this as long as one parent co signs. They are all 18 and need credit and back ground checks.

Girls don't usually trash a place.

I've done this as long as one parent co signs. They are all 18 and need credit and back ground checks.

Wouldn't there usually be nothing on the credit report of an 18 year old?

Ugh, I don't wanna cosign and be responsible for two other kids.  

Add a kid as an "authorized user" of your credit card. Preferably one many years old with less than 10% utilization (but, with at least one charge & bill on it after the kid is added). Most Visa and Mastercards, from Bank of America, Capital One, etc. will report all of your credit history of that card on their account.

And, yes, it's possible for an 18-year-old to instantly get 20 years of credit history on their report this way.

I just rented one out and within 12 hours of listing it had 30+ showing requests.  Showed it the next day at noon (told all interested parties showings were Sunday at noon).  Lease was signed at 3pm.  Rent is 50% higher than 3 years ago.

Are they going to live near a college campus? If so, they can probably find some student apartments that rent by the bed. Then they will only be liable for their individual lease of their room. 

The downside is, if one of her roommates breaks the lease, the landlord can probably put someone else in that bedroom.

If I were the landlord renting to three 18-year-olds, a parent of each would need to sign as guarantors and the lease would need to be joint and several liability. 

As a landlord I try to avoid parent co-signers.  If the 18 yo meet the income requirements then I don't saddle the parents with the debt to income burden.  It really comes down to if the kids have a direction in life or just want a pad to have fun.  In the later case they'll need a co-signer as their metrics won't support qualification on their own.  For a co-signer I want a person that has owns property in the same state.

The smart move for most 18 yo is to stay at home and bank some coin to get a head start on life.

As a landlord I try to avoid parent co-signers.  If the 18 yo meet the income requirements then I don't saddle the parents with the debt to income burden.  It really comes down to if the kids have a direction in life or just want a pad to have fun.  In the later case they'll need a co-signer as their metrics won't support qualification on their own.  For a co-signer I want a person that has owns property in the same state.

The smart move for most 18 yo is to stay at home and bank some coin to get a head start on life.
I could see that if they have income. I guess I was thinking college students. 

I could see that if they have income. I guess I was thinking college students. 

I give college college students a total pass on income.  That said, our local college is unique.  My local college is private and costs $55k in tuition.  They only let upper classpeople live off campus and a appears a preference to let athletes have an off campus waiver.  The kids are either backed by parents, have huge grants, or big loans to cover living expenses.  The graduation rate is 90% vs. 50% nationwide.  I assume that 90% rate is even higher once you get beyond the underclass years.  Toss in kids playing a sport and they are a virtual lock to stay and pay rent.  We also don't see the college students until they are 20+ yo.  By comparison my late and non-payment rates (and damage expenses) for non-students at the same units are much higher.

I suspect even nationally, college students in years 3-6 are a good bet to pay their rent.

ghostguy123 said:

Easy fix on establishing credit for 18 year olds. Have them apply for a Discover student card. Should be an easy approval. If you have a Discover card, go on the site and get a refer a friend link and once they get the card and use it in the first couple of months, you grt a $100 statement credit and they will as well. Whether needed for this or not, it is important to start the credit building process. Of course, have a conversation about credit, how it works, it's importance, using it correctly and the dangers of not. 

To super charge their credit, add them as an authorized user on your oldest card with little or no balance and long on time payment history. 

To super charge their credit, add them as an authorized user on your oldest card with little or no balance and long on time payment history. 
I will do this when she turns 18 in a couple weeks.  Thanks.

Or can it be done before 18

Nevermind, just did it.  That was easy.  Dang it, shoulda done this for her a while ago

Last edited by a moderator:
I will do this when she turns 18 in a couple weeks.  Thanks.

Or can it be done before 18

Nevermind, just did it.  That was easy.  Dang it, shoulda done this for her a while ago
I assuming you mean the AU. It doesn't matter with AU's, for most AU's, the entire history of the card is added to their credit history. So, there is no difference to doing it a year ago or today. I recommend NOT doing it earlier because they become a juicer target for ID theft and don't have any benefit from it. 

I would have her establish her own credit in her own name. She should easily get approved for a Discover student card and Discover is one of the best student cards and can keep it indefinitely. If you don't have a Discover card, let me know and I can post my refer so she gets the $100. 

I assuming you mean the AU. It doesn't matter with AU's, for most AU's, the entire history of the card is added to their credit history. So, there is no difference to doing it a year ago or today. I recommend NOT doing it earlier because they become a juicer target for ID theft and don't have any benefit from it. 

I would have her establish her own credit in her own name. She should easily get approved for a Discover student card and Discover is one of the best student cards and can keep it indefinitely. If you don't have a Discover card, let me know and I can post my refer so she gets the $100. 
How long usually until any of it would show up on her credit history?

How long usually until any of it would show up on her credit history?
Once the AU is added, it should show up the next reporting cycle for your card, so a month at the max and next day as the quickest. You can call your credit card company to find out the next reporting. Whatever day that is, it should show up the next day. You can have her go to annualcreditreport.com to pull her credit report for free to double check. (stay away from Credit Karma and Credit Sesame, they are just a marketing scheme for the most part and end up confusing people more than helping). 

Users who are viewing this thread